Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Child of Malkav

Erudite

He's pretty good. His intro summary is on point. Never knew how bad the KB+M people actually had it, holy shit.

He's exaggerating it. There are keys you can't rebind but the rest are pretty standard.
One thing that pissed me off is that you have to go into the settings to toggle PC keys to show instead of the console ones. I had to check some websites to know that was a thing. Sekiro was much better as it detected the input device automatically and displayed appropriate keys.
The other one with the dodge, sprint, backstep all being on the same key as well as center camera, lock on, unlock also being on the same key is just dumb but it's been there since DkS1. I'm not excusing it but I'm used to it at this point. These are the things you notice when you play DkS1 and after that is just....meh.
This being his first souls game, all his complaints regarding the control issues are also applicable since DkS1 as every souls game had the same control scheme except that on PC the game was showing console key prompts for any interaction. Only in the settings menu if you looked, you knew what each key did and rebind it correctly but it still always showed console keys regardless.
Sekiro was the first that actually had PC prompts.
Still played all of them on kb+m.

Last edited:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Great taste in manga, my friend.
Indeed, Dorohedoro is one of the greatest thing to come in the past decades.

One thing that helped me to stop dying on those jumping sections is to get off the horse whenever I'm close to the edge and I need to turn around. Unless the next platform is really far (and that's rarely the case), you can reach it just as easily with your regular un-horsed jump.

I didn't mind jarburg much, but the path to the three fingers made me lose my mind. I've died more to this than any boss in the game apart from Malenia. The jumps are tight and the engine really loves to do the whole "you got on the platform but your character will continue to move slightly and go down anyway". I was not happy to do it again to get the frenzied flame ending on another run, then going back again when I learned about the existence of the greatshield there is there and wanting to get it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I didn't mind jarburg much, but the path to the three fingers made me lose my mind. I've died more to this than any boss in the game apart from Malenia. The jumps are tight and the engine really loves to do the whole "you got on the platform but your character will continue to move slightly and go down anyway". I was not happy to do it again to get the frenzied flame ending on another run, then going back again when I learned about the existence of the greatshield there is there and wanting to get it.
Yeah, that section in the sewers is the final boss of the platforming challenges in this game. It wouldn't even be that bad if not for that single jump towards the middle, where you have to surgically avoid bumping into a platform at your same level or you get moved very slightly and you miss your target. I can't find a way to express myself, but I'm sure everyone will understand which jump I'm talking about. I perfected so much my technique in my first playthrough that on the next one I first-tried this bad bitch. Now I will never again go back there, unless I really want the shield.

Another jumping challenge where I died more than I should have is that walking mausoleum that slowly walks towards the cliff. You just have to wait for him to be close enough to the platform, but it takes so much time that I always get impatient and jump a second too soon, inevitably falling to my death.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
They are not picking on him because he doesn't say anything controversial. Me, I will SHIT all over their favorite games if they are shit.
"Anything controversial"?

Porky, you have barely said anything of value in the last 10 pages of this thread. You keep repeating "ahah, you're all stupid, I'm the best, Zed Doink of Banville, you have no skills, Gene Wolfe hurt my feelings" ad nauseam while rating everyone butthurt. I don't know what perverted mechanism or deep trauma makes you get enjoyment out of being made fun of online, but it is kind of a sad display. Stop it, seek help. Or at least stick to your "I played X and it sucks" series of threads, at least those are interesting.

Salvo

Arcane
I hate the fact that if this game was a bit more polished and less repetitive it would truly be GOTC, feels like wasted potential

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I hate the fact that if this game was a bit more polished and less repetitive it would truly be GOTC, feels like wasted potential
I just want a mod that entirely removes the open world, has a tiny overworld that links all the major legacy dungeons ala zelda, and some thoughtful added placements of smithing stones to replace the lost mines - GOOD RIDDANCE.

The dungeons are the wasted potential drowned by the mass of open world garbage.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, in case anybody is wondering how am i faring in Caelid, yes, i'm totally cheesing the birds with rotten breath.

Fuck that shit lmao.

Efe

Erudite
giant dogs at least die in a few hits
birds are especially worse cos dont drop anything of value and chase love you long long time

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I just rode past them. Why cheese if they are just trashmobs and usually don't even drop anything of value.

I like to "own" a section so that i can explore every nook and cranny in peace.

I'm a sweeper. Just kill and loot and explore everything before moving on the next portion of the map.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
giant dogs at least die in a few hits
birds are especially worse cos dont drop anything of value and chase love you long long time

And take forever to die. Out of curiosity i tried to do them the old fashioned way, shield and a non-bleed weapon and while it was "safer" it took so long it wasn't worth it, and even with a big shield safety is a relative thing with giant enemies since their hit box can easily "get you" in the back even if they attack you right up front.

I can kill them with my power stanced bleed swords but the rink of getting one shot randomly is too great to bother.

Andnjord

Arcane
Fun fact, did you guys know that Malenia is in fact NOT immune to Scarlet Rot? She's just very resistant to it, took me three (or was it four?) full casts of Ezekyel's Breath on her face before the rot would stick. Combined with the fact that during her first phase she only slowly walks around if you don't attack her, there is a world where you could potentially cheese her that way :lol:

Yes, I do like to test stupid shit when learning a major boss, helps me keep my sanity.

Keep in mind that Porky entered a hundred random dungeons he stumbled across in Morrowind, and then complained they didn't have quests attached to them, only rarely had powerful artifacts, and that he found them repetitive.

Actually, I complained that they were copy pasted basically. Slightly different layouts, but otherwise, once you've seen one, you've seen them all. Unlike say Gothic 1/2's unique hand-placed dungeons. And that's when your butthurt first began to flow. :)

Keep in mind that Porky died against Pinwheel in Dark Souls.

As did you.

Keep in mind that Porky put together a poll on best historical fiction novels by compiling random lists he stumbled across in an internet search, then took umbrage when we pointed out that many on his poll weren't actually historical fiction.

Yes, I already broke your cheap argument in that thread, so since you ran away from there, I will break it again here, free of charge. This is how normal people put together polls, Doink, we are not arrogant enough not to use other people's lists to come up with something really comprehensive, as opposed to you, who is so full of himself, he thinks he knows all the best shit based on what he happened to read. ;)

Keep in mind that Porky couldn't think to use ice magic against a fire-breathing dragon in Dragon's Dogma, then came here to complain about how difficult the fight was.

Uhhh, I had a fighter build, and unlike you, I actually role-play my classes. Not everyone needs to cheese everything to get past game obstacles. Checkmate bucko.

Porky, you have barely said anything of value in the last 10 pages of this thread. You keep repeating "ahah, you're all stupid, I'm the best, Zed Doink of Banville, you have no skills, Gene Wolfe hurt my feelings" ad nauseam while rating everyone butthurt. I don't know what perverted mechanism or deep trauma makes you get enjoyment out of being made fun of online, but it is kind of a sad display. Stop it, seek help. Or at least stick to your "I played X and it sucks" series of threads, at least those are interesting.

Oh, that's rich coming from a guy who spent the last 10 pages saying "you died to pinwheel". If you are going to repeat stupid shit, NJCluck, I will do likewise, except like everything else, I will do it better. :smug:

Sunri

Liturgist
4x
4x

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I just rode past them. Why cheese if they are just trashmobs and usually don't even drop anything of value.
This is my elite tier strategy for a lot of the hard mobs in the game. They often drop like 800 or 1500 souls and take 5 minutes to fight while I can make a bird run off a cliff for 11k and then flame blast frogmen for another 20k.

I am still pretty early in, but so far, the 2 best spots I've found for farming runes quick are:

1. The trolls on that plateau on Stormhill. There are 5 of them, each drops 1k runes, and their patterns are very predictable, so easy 5k runes per bonfire reset. Very good early on.

2. After that, the battle between the rotted dogs/rats and Radagan's soldiers near the unpassable bridge in Caelid. Since they fight each other mostly, it's fairly safe, and you can easily get several thousand runes per run. If you want more, just keep running west after that, and kill the many rotted dogs/crows there yourself for thousands more.

Old Hans

Arcane
do you guys really hate crucible knights?
I hate 'em. they remind me of some shitty dark souls 2 enemy.
do you guys really hate crucible knights?
Yes. Absolutely. They never stop attacking. They input read. They never stagger. They basically do whatever the fuck they want and you're left picking up the crumbs.
One crucible knight could kill O&S AND Gwynn at the same time.
Actually, the bastard in not shrine of storms could probably kill everything in DeS and DS1.

Just parry them, especially the sword and board guy is easy to parry
which would be fine if you only had to parry him 1 time & if you mess up once youre in big trouble

Parry is really not worth it in ER. Just look at that video lutte posted above. He has to parry him 30 times, for tiny damage, and of course misses some and gets hit by a truck. They really borked parry up ever since DaS1. First delayed parry frames in DaS2 and DaS3, now they removed that in ER but added bullshit-ly unpredictable enemy attacks and nerfed damage.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Finished, just beat Placidusax for good measure after the last boss.

What a game that was. Not perfect no, but by god it's the best open world game I've played. Actually feel a bit empty now it's over, might even start a new character for running through again. 10/10, would even rage at Malenia again.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
He has to parry him 30 times, for tiny damage

Errr, that was an unupgraded longsword, of course the damage is total garbo. Weapons with enhanced critical damage modifiers + the dagger talisman can make it very much worth it, I just did it that way and so early in this character run because I found fighting a prolonged fight with him fun (and I ain't upgrading shit until this char has enough stat to make wielding colossal weapons viable since they're what I want to upgrade, this is a meme run).

The rapier and misericorde can totally destroy things with critical hits.

Also parry can become even easier than using something like a buckler later on, parry ashes of war like carrian retaliation and golden parry have a larger hitbox, the parry frames are the same but because of the hitboxes you're plain much more likely to get a parry done even when you suck at it, those ashes make Elden Ring feel like Bloodborne, which had the sweetest parries in souls games.

3vGqF5E.jpg

Le tiny damage. (no buff used in this)

Hhmm, maybe I should try a parry build after all. I started one run with a bandit (for the buckler shield), but while I could parry regular sized humanoids, mounted enemies and larger sized bosses were impossible, probably because of the distance calculations. Maybe with these ashes it would work better.

The build I have now works but is kinda boring.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Hhmm, maybe I should try a parry build after all.
ive tried this many times. all these dreams of being a parry master like the youtube videos. then I get bamboozled by some random foot soldier and I snap out of my delusions
It works fine though, just a question of timings. I've come to find it safer than waiting for openings that are treacherous and end up with you trading. Things like Banished Knights can be severely annoying without parry.

If you learn the timings well enough, a few wiffs where you mistime a little tend to end in partial parries, where you get much less damage than a missed dodge btw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom