Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

SumDrunkGuy

Finished, just beat Placidusax for good measure after the last boss.

What a game that was. Not perfect no, but by god it's the best open world game I've played. Actually feel a bit empty now it's over, might even start a new character for running through again. 10/10, would even rage at Malenia again.

Yep it's a trip. Should win Codex's prestigious RPGOTY award by a landslide. If it doesn't then everybody here is fucked in the head and just jealous of From Software's superiority at everything.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
do you guys really hate crucible knights?
Yes. Absolutely. They never stop attacking. They input read. They never stagger. They basically do whatever the fuck they want and you're left picking up the crumbs.
One crucible knight could kill O&S AND Gwynn at the same time.
Actually, the bastard in not shrine of storms could probably kill everything in DeS and DS1.
Flame of the redmanes :M

Andnjord

Arcane
Hhmm, maybe I should try a parry build after all.
ive tried this many times. all these dreams of being a parry master like the youtube videos. then I get bamboozled by some random foot soldier and I snap out of my delusions
It really does depend on the enemy. Take the Bell Bearing Hunter for example. He has two combos that can be parried. One starts with a swing from his right side that's heavily delayed (which I find is the hardest to get right), and the other one starts with a swing from his left side that is much faster but I find easier to parry due to being a case of 'arm moves=press L2 almost instantly for success'. Two moves, easy to tell appart and very different from the rest of his moveset.

Meanwhile the standard spear and shield mook I find infuriating to parry, his main spear thrust is nigh on impossible to parry in time due to how fast it comes out (it's just too fast for my brain to have the time to see what's coming, decide if it's the fast or slow attack, then press L2; only works if I press L2 the moment I see a muscle twitch on him, but then who knos if it was the correct move), and the slower one is just fast enough to clip you if you insta pressed L2 thinking it was gonna be his fast move.

You're not so much practicing to improve your general parries as much as practicing to parry one specific enemy at a time. I parry-mastered my way through Magrit with my Samurai Jim-Bob only to utterly fail at parrying a normal mace and shield mook 5 minutes later for example :lol:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
ive tried this many times. all these dreams of being a parry master like the youtube videos. then I get bamboozled by some random foot soldier and I snap out of my delusions

I've been watching some of Ongbal's ER videos and I'm almost convinced the man is an AI built by Elon Musk purely for the purpose of crushing Souls games. I look at him and it all seems so easy, just like rock paper scissors. Then I have a go and I'm panic rolling as soon as Malenia lifts her sword up. Sometimes you just gotta accept, there are people that can play so much better than you.

Andnjord

Arcane

I've been watching some of Ongbal's ER videos and I'm almost convinced the man is an AI built by Elon Musk purely for the purpose of crushing Souls games. I look at him and it all seems so easy, just like rock paper scissors. Then I have a go and I'm panic rolling as soon as Malenia lifts her sword up. Sometimes you just gotta accept, there are people that can play so much better than you.

I find his stuff oddly relaxing to watch. Everything is smooth, calculated, precise. There's no panic, no over or under extension. T'is beautiful to see.

Also really useful whenever I'm asking myself "can this guy actually be paried?"

Last edited:

Old Hans

Arcane

yea ill fuck up a couple times with parry master dream and just be like "fuck this parry master crap" then ill go get the scarlet rot dragon breath and kill a dragon while I hide in the bushes

Andnjord

Arcane
yea ill fuck up a couple times with parry master dream and just be like "fuck this parry master crap" then ill go get the scarlet rot dragon breath and kill a dragon while I hide in the bushes
Well dragons can't be parried to begin with, so I'll say that it still counts as parry mastering them ;)

Old Hans

Arcane
Well dragons can't be parried to begin with, so I'll say that it still counts as parry mastering them ;)
yea I should have used a better example. none the less I always feel really guilty after, cause I keep telling myself "I will not use this dragon breath again. it feels so cheap." although I have no problem using rot pots. im just like "well you sorta have to work for it and I have to craft them. thats hard work"

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Of note is that he does it with a weapon parry. Those are significantly harder to pull off than any of the shield parries.
I tried using the wakizashi as a parry tool because it looks cool... but looking cool is all it does, you need to be a parrygod to use this shiet, I prefer golden parry on a shield :>

Andnjord

Arcane
yea I should have used a better example. none the less I always feel really guilty after, cause I keep telling myself "I will not use this dragon breath again. it feels so cheap." although I have no problem using rot pots. im just like "well you sorta have to work for it and I have to craft them. thats hard work"
Due to how vulnerable dragon breaths leave you during their insanely long casting time, I'd say they're less cheap than rot pots. Now, if you're using dragon breath AND a summon that's another story (not that I didn't do that against Mogg :oops:)

Sunri

Liturgist
Enemies get black flame visuals, but they don't take any additional DMG what a disappointing sword
CmE1hdV.png

FFKk3TB.png

Efe

Erudite
it just does normal fire damage.
also while fastest swinging colossal sword, weapon art and horseback speed is horrid.
I really expected it to be better with those stat reqs

illuknisaa

Cipher
Fun fact, did you guys know that Malenia is in fact NOT immune to Scarlet Rot? She's just very resistant to it, took me three (or was it four?) full casts of Ezekyel's Breath on her face before the rot would stick. Combined with the fact that during her first phase she only slowly walks around if you don't attack her, there is a world where you could potentially cheese her that way :lol:

Yes, I do like to test stupid shit when learning a major boss, helps me keep my sanity.

I learned this too after I poked her a couple of times with rot rapier.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fun fact, did you guys know that Malenia is in fact NOT immune to Scarlet Rot? She's just very resistant to it, took me three (or was it four?) full casts of Ezekyel's Breath on her face before the rot would stick. Combined with the fact that during her first phase she only slowly walks around if you don't attack her, there is a world where you could potentially cheese her that way :lol:

Yes, I do like to test stupid shit when learning a major boss, helps me keep my sanity.

You could've at least showered first.

illuknisaa

Cipher

You could've at least showered first.

Soap doesn't help with Rot buildup.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Due to how vulnerable dragon breaths leave you during their insanely long casting time, I'd say they're less cheap than rot pots. Now, if you're using dragon breath AND a summon that's another story (not that I didn't do that against Mogg :oops:)
Dragon Breath (whichever one) is the perfect attack to use through a door when PVP guys are being gay.

Meanwhile the standard spear and shield mook I find infuriating to parry, his main spear thrust is nigh on impossible to parry in time due to how fast it comes out (it's just too fast for my brain to have the time to see what's coming, decide if it's the fast or slow attack, then press L2; only works if I press L2 the moment I see a muscle twitch on him, but then who knos if it was the correct move), and the slower one is just fast enough to clip you if you insta pressed L2 thinking it was gonna be his fast move.

I have the same experience parrying those guys. FS are bitches for animating their fast attack in like 2 frames. That's not an animation, it's pure bullshit.

You're not so much practicing to improve your general parries as much as practicing to parry one specific enemy at a time. I parry-mastered my way through Magrit with my Samurai Jim-Bob only to utterly fail at parrying a normal mace and shield mook 5 minutes later for example :lol:

And that's why Elden Ring combat is a dumpster fire. Obviously it's better than shit like Skyrim combat, but overall, it's really not well designed.

Imagine if RL martial arts or combat skills worked like this. A black belt would die to some noob whose skills he has never seen before, every single time.

They do this to keep combat difficulty hard throughout the game, but it's the cheapest, worst way to do it. A much better way would've been similar to Mount & Blade: Warband or Kingdom Come: Deliverance combat, where after you understood it well, you really felt like a melee badass. And if they wanted to keep it challenging throughout, they could just introduce enemies that were a bit better at it, like slightly higher attack speed, better blocking, etc, instead of bullshit moves every time.

Another example of how contrived the challenge in ER is: I am in Aeonion Swamp now, and this asshole Milicent invades. He is not tough to deal with himself, except the place where he invades is covered in rot inducing water, and when he invades, another 2 assholes spawn nearby and gangbang you. And of course he also has some bs attack where once he gets going, if you don't step back in time, he launches into a 20 attack spin-cycle. I died 2-3 times already, because either the spawned ads or the rot damage get me while im busy with him. But this is such contrived bs, it's not even funny.

Sunri

Liturgist

I have the same experience parrying those guys. FS are bitches for animating their fast attack in like 2 frames. That's not an animation, it's pure bullshit.

And that's why Elden Ring combat is a dumpster fire. Obviously it's better than shit like Skyrim combat, but overall, it's really not well designed.

Imagine if RL martial arts or combat skills worked like this. A black belt would die to some noob whose skills he has never seen before, every single time.

They do this to keep combat difficulty hard throughout the game, but it's the cheapest, worst way to do it. A much better way would've been similar to Mount & Blade: Warband or Kingdom Come: Deliverance combat, where after you understood it well, you really felt like a melee badass. And if they wanted to keep it challenging throughout, they could just introduce enemies that were a bit better at it, like slightly higher attack speed, better blocking, etc, instead of bullshit moves every time.

Another example of how contrived the challenge in ER is: I am in Aeonion Swamp now, and this asshole Milicent invades. He is not tough to deal with himself, except the place where he invades is covered in rot inducing water, and when he invades, another 2 assholes spawn nearby and gangbang you. And of course he also has some bs attack where once he gets going, if you don't step back in time, he launches into a 20 attack spin-cycle. I died 2-3 times already, because either the spawned ads or the rot damage get me while im busy with him. But this is such contrived bs, it's not even funny.

Millicent is a she that's a lady :M

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The only thing I don't like about the combat tbh is attacks going through walls. I seem to recall people talking big about Dark Souls being so real because swords scraped off the walls. Well what happened? I want walls to act like walls. Patch that in assholes. I'm not even mad I just want a world that makes sense that is kinda like this game. Like that one video where they placed a giant hole in the ground then when you go under there they obviously did not account for that in the world design they just put it there to look pretty.

Also I hear some people whining about really easy fights. DID YOU GUYS NOT USE SUMMONS AND ITEMS OR SOMETHING?

Andnjord

Arcane
Milicent invades
I had no idea she could invade you. Are you sure that's the correct NPC name you're thinking about? But thanks for reminding me of her, I had forgotten I still needed to finish her quest.

*checks wiki for the next stage.
*"She will not move from this spot until the player has defeated the nearby Ulcerated Tree Spirit mini-boss." That's the one inside a scarlet rot pit that I noped out from earlier on.
Oh no...no...Nooooooo!
Myasaky-san, why do you do this to me :negative:

To be fair, in regards to that specific enemy it's one of those moment when you realise you don't need to parry everyone that can be, not when you can just use a charged R2 and break their shield guard instantly, they're passive enough they let you do it. Now, the spear and shield knights, THAT's another problem, but at least it feels more legit that they're tougher.

Dragon Breath (whichever one) is the perfect attack to use through a door when PVP guys are being gay.
They're not FP efficient, but damn do they slap hard if you need something dead quick. Also longer range unlike the madness fire spell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom