Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Bigg Boss

Arcane
being so real because swords scraped off the walls. Well what happened?
Enemy attacks in Souls games always went through walls. It's been an issue with the series since day 1 since the player has to think carefully about which moves to use to not bounce off of walls

Yeah I know but people made a big deal about it at the time. I guess only swords scrape off walls while everything else goes right through due to length and magic attacks.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The Surge is 4 bucks but I don't think it will hold up when compared to the glory that is the one true Ringu.

Just had a funny moment: was fighting one of those annoying flying gargoyles near Sellia, the ones that suck 3/4ths of your healthbar after a grab. But this time he was swooping in for a regular attack, and I raised my greatshield at the last moment, and that thing happens when the shield's guard boost overwhelms the attacker's power and they flinch back. But since it was flying, it fell to the ground. So it looked like the gargoyle flew headfirst into the giant shield and knocked itself out. I had a good chuckle as I finished it off.

Those gargoyles btw drop Goldrunes(9), which are worth like 3800 runes each. I think they drop it almost every time. And there is a lot of them there. Might be my new favorite spot to grind runes.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Life pro tips on parrying : there's some general rules that still apply in ER, like parrying once you see the hand go toward you, but this time there is an addendum : when it's a fast attack, parry when the hand has reached the furthest point away from you. It was like a revelation once I noticed that this worked on most things. For faster attacks, the animation will still always show a windup at least until the enemy's hand move toward their back/reach the highest point up before crashing down, once you're at the end of said windup it's the signal for pressing parry on a buckler.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Interesting. The datamined stuff doesn't say whether this is how you were meant to get the mimic tear, but my gut feeling tells me this must have been, this would explain why mimic tear consumes HP instead of FP - this quest had you literally get infected and absorb a silver tear into your body.

Elden Ring seems to have it worse than the usual when it comes to NPC content being rushed and slashed, while the game doesn't have completely unfinished areas like DS1, it still boggles the mind how they ended up patching in more content to Diallos/Jarburg, Kenneth Haight, Nepehli Loux and Patches because they're all early NPC quests that ended nowhere. (Patches's final encounter still doesn't feel like it should have ended there though).

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, i tried rotten breath on a boss, an ice bird that just spawns at night and roams around the area near the giant that throws those big magic pots, or the lion near the castle in the south.

I was able to sneak up to it and unleash my whole FP pool and the tick started, then ran back to the road and waited it out. The rot DOT took about 70% of his health.

Impressive and cheesy, but i don't see how good this actually is for real bosses, where you can't ran away and wait the DOT out and casting it is damn tricky. If you can pull it off it's a big help but any boss that allows you to pull off such a long casting animation is probably easy enough not to need it.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
"Lyric Suite, why bother kill the birds, just ran past them"

And then you find this shit in a spot garded by them:

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Windy+Crystal+Tear
This one is pretty bad honestly. It doesn't give you more iframes than quickstep or bloodhound step, it takes up a slot that could be used for the bubble that soaks 99% damage of one hit, for the damage reduction one, for the ones that do damage buffs that stacks multiplicatively with your talismans etc.
And it actually increases the damage you take if you miss a dodge.

Btw I have it in my inventory and I don't remember ever stopping to kill birds in caelid so I must have circled around, taken the item and.. ran past them.

Sunri

Liturgist
BTW, i tried rotten breath on a boss, an ice bird that just spawns at night and roams around the area near the giant that throws those big magic pots, or the lion near the castle in the south.

I was able to sneak up to it and unleash my whole FP pool and the tick started, then ran back to the road and waited it out. The rot DOT took about 70% of his health.

Impressive and cheesy, but i don't see how good this actually is for real bosses, where you can't ran away and wait the DOT out and casting it is damn tricky. If you can pull it off it's a big help but any boss that allows you to pull off such a long casting animation is probably easy enough not to need it.

You can rot them at the start of the battle, some bosses just walks slowly towards you and wait for your action to input read.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Or after getting a stagger. Aside from a few exceptions like the crucibles which wake up really too fast, most staggers will leave you enough time to pull off something like this. I never used the rot spells myself, but it could be useful if you struggle with something, try to get a stagger, rot, then sit behind your shield and just keep backing away during the fight. Even the harder bosses will be unable to hit you if you really decide to constantly back away. I think Elden Beast is the only thing that can force you to dodge threatening attacks, some nasty combos like elden stars + quick moonveil style ranged swings that can happen at the same time. (god, I hate that elden stars thing)

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Impressive and cheesy, but i don't see how good this actually is for real bosses,
It's great vs almost every boss in the game honestly. The breath itself does a lot of damage and has alot of range and even if you don't run around letting the rot tick it will still do at least 25% of the bosses hp. Only problem is bosses with cutscenes in the middle will cleanse status effects during the cutscene.

illuknisaa

Cipher
Another example of how contrived the challenge in ER is: I am in Aeonion Swamp now, and this asshole Milicent invades. He is not tough to deal with himself, except the place where he invades is covered in rot inducing water, and when he invades, another 2 assholes spawn nearby and gangbang you. And of course he also has some bs attack where once he gets going, if you don't step back in time, he launches into a 20 attack spin-cycle. I died 2-3 times already, because either the spawned ads or the rot damage get me while im busy with him. But this is such contrived bs, it's not even funny.

I honestly don't see any problem with this. Instead of trying to just beat a single trivially easy enemy you have to manage bunch of other things at the same. It's part of the challenge.

I'm also pretty sure the extra guys you say spawn are just random mobs roaming in the area. I've killed her twice in the swamp and I've never had to deal with other mobs at the same time.

If you just want "fair" 1v1 fights you should look for evergaols (the stone circles with stone worms nearby)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom