Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Andnjord

Arcane
Another example of how contrived the challenge in ER is: I am in Aeonion Swamp now, and this asshole Milicent invades. He is not tough to deal with himself, except the place where he invades is covered in rot inducing water, and when he invades, another 2 assholes spawn nearby and gangbang you. And of course he also has some bs attack where once he gets going, if you don't step back in time, he launches into a 20 attack spin-cycle. I died 2-3 times already, because either the spawned ads or the rot damage get me while im busy with him. But this is such contrived bs, it's not even funny.

I honestly don't see any problem with this. Instead of trying to just beat a single trivially easy enemy you have to manage bunch of other things at the same. It's part of the challenge.

I'm also pretty sure the extra guys you say spawn are just random mobs roaming in the area. I've killed her twice in the swamp and I've never had to deal with other mobs at the same time.

If you just want "fair" 1v1 fights you should look for evergaols (the stone circles with stone worms nearby)
Oy, check who you're quoting :rpgcodex:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Funny, but i just used rotten breath on the two bosses in Sellia town to see how cheesy it can really be and ho boy. All that effort to code move sets and animations for the bosses and you can just kill them in two casts.

Efe

Erudite
milicent spawns with 2 cleanrot knights
I was suprised when I first saw them too, surveyed the whole area, made sure its clean and yea she does have adds

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
She got stun locked by my two swords and died before doing anything. Lucky as i was rolling out of the rotten in a panic when the horse disappeared and ran right into her lmao.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Funny, but i just used rotten breath on the two bosses in Sellia town to see how cheesy it can really be and ho boy. All that effort to code move sets and animations for the bosses and you can just kill them in two casts.
Rotten breath can be powerful, but on the other side the sellia duo is kinda pushover. It's yet another one of these "it's a regular mob but with a more bossy HP bar" encounter, you'll be killing many more in the world with even more ease.

Looking back on it, caelid as a whole is a forgettable place whose only salvation is its art direction. Radahn is the only unique thing of the entire map as far as I recall. It doesn't even have a real legacy dungeon.

This game needed someone to tell them where to do deep cuts. What needed to be cut is not NPC questlines but game areas and excessive copypasta.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It doesn't even have a real legacy dungeon.

How many of those are there?

When i saw Stormveil i expected them see them in every big zone instead so far i only saw two and with 200 hours of open world shit in between them.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It doesn't even have a real legacy dungeon.

How many of those are there?

When i saw Stormveil i expected them see them in every big zone instead so far i only saw two and with 200 hours of open world shit in between them.
1/Stormveil - Limgrave
2/Raya Lucaria Academy - Liurnia
3/Volcano Manor - Mt Gelmir
4/Leyndell - Atlus Plateau
5/Farum Azula - its own thing
6/Haligtree - its own thing

These are the official ones, but there's areas that are pretty much designed like legacy dungeons that aren't called such. I consider Leyndell's sewers to be their own legacy dungeon, they're completely disconnected and optional, and they're the best designed map of the game with everything looping back to a single site of grace. The whole underground is also more legacy dungeony in nature than being just a piece of open world.
Also, Shaded Castle. Unlike the other castles, it takes some good effort to explore and isn't a straight run through.

Andnjord

Arcane
I need to sunbro some bosses with my faith build and see what kind of MAXIMAL CHEESE I can get using this:

-Golden Vow for +10% attack power
-Flame grant me Strenght for +20% fire damage
-Ritual Sword Talisman for +10% attack power at full health
-Flock's Talisman for +8% incantation damage
-Fire Scorpion talisman for +12% fire damage
-Dragon Communion Seal for +15% damage to Dragon Breath Spells

Drink a wondrous physick flask with the following:
-Flame Shrouding Cracked Tear for +20% fire damage
-Cerulean Hidden Tear for no FP costs to spells for 15 seconds

And then blast the unfortunate fool with unlimited Agheel's flame for 15 seconds at 2.4 times the normal damage.

Thoughts? Any realistically usable buffs that don't require switching twenty items in five seconds that I've forgotten?

EDIT: Forgot the Jellyfish Shield Skill for +20% on all damage. This would bring total damage to 2.9 times the normal damage.

Last edited:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I need to sunbro some bosses with my faith build and see what kind of MAXIMAL CHEESE I can get using this:

-Golden Vow for +10% attack power
-Flame grant me Strenght for +20% fire damage
-Ritual Sword Talisman for +10% attack power at full health
-Flock's Talisman for +8% incantation damage
-Fire Scorpion talisman for +12% fire damage
-Dragon Communion Seal for +15% damage to Dragon Breath Spells

Drink a wondrous physick flask with the following:
-Flame Shrouding Cracked Tear for +20% fire damage
-Cerulean Hidden Tear for no FP costs to spells for 15 seconds

And then blast the unfortunate fool with unlimited Agheel's flame for 15 seconds at 2.4 times the normal damage.

Thoughts? Any realistically usable buffs that don't require switching twenty items in five seconds that I've forgotten?

EDIT: Forgot the Jellyfish Shield Skill for +20% on all damage. This would bring total damage to 2.9 times the normal damage.

Cheese doesn't really care about builds or levels. Obviously I'm not telling you to do this RL1 like the guy on the video, but if you want cheese, all you need is power stance curved swords and bleed, seppuku ashes, lord of blood exultation, winged sword insignia, thorny mixed physick. Arcane makes bleed builds better but if a rl1 can do it so can your faith build. Dude on the vid uses a slightly better consumable buff, but golden vow + flame, grant me strength will do as well. (it's often ignored but flame doesn't only boost fire damage, it also elevates general attack power, it's useful on any build should you have the spare points to throw in faith)

You will never top the level of awesomeness this setup brings with incantations or non-bleed weapons.
Bleed is the one true god. Weapons that can spam a lot of quick attacks in successions are the light. My NG+ arcane runthrough was the most devastating build I've played in any souls game.

Andnjord

Arcane
Cheese doesn't really care about builds or levels. Obviously I'm not telling you to do this RL1 like the guy on the video, but if you want cheese, all you need is power stance curved swords and bleed, seppuku ashes, lord of blood exultation, winged sword insignia, thorny mixed physick. Arcane makes bleed builds better but if a rl1 can do it so can your faith build. Dude on the vid uses a slightly better consumable buff, but golden vow + flame, grant me strength will do as well. (it's often ignored but flame doesn't only boost fire damage, it also elevates general attack power, it's useful on any build should you have the spare points to throw in faith)
Yeah yeah, everyone knows about bleed builds and how OP they can get (there's a reason I'm aiming for that with my Samurai Jim-Bob), and you're forgetting the White Mask by the way. I was trying to see how far I could push Incantations specifically.
Testing results on Malenia were disapointing BTW, she jumps around too much and even when she takes the full cast of Agheel's breath it was only for a relatively meagre 5000 damage. Considering casting on her past the 75% threshold almost inevitably triggers her Waterfowl dance (may the developper who came up with it drown in Rot) it's just not worth it when playing solo. I'm doing more damage when going full jumping jack+successive attacks damage boosters with twin curved swords. Hits for about 2200 per jump and I can dodge out of the way after.
Now I just need my lizard brain to actually recognise Waterfowl when it comes out so I can freeze pot her out of it.

EDIT: One thing I neglected regarding the Dragon breath attacks is that they drain stamina like no tomorrow, so no infinite casting for 15 seconds :cry:

SumDrunkGuy

They should have made Catacombs randomly generated like the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne. Those are the lamest parts of the game.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
They should have made Catacombs randomly generated like the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne. Those are the lamest parts of the game.
i don't think it's the layout that is the problem, but instead the recycled enemies/bosses.
when you fight the burial guardian whatever is called in english for nth time with a slight variantion , you feel like the 4th walls and all other three collapse and whole immersion get destroyed

SumDrunkGuy

i don't think it's the layout that is the problem, but instead the recycled enemies/bosses.
when you fight the burial guardian whatever is called in english for nth time with a slight variantion , you feel like the 4th walls and all other three collapse and whole immersion get destroyed

Well they needed to add something to give more incentive to go through them. I've been skipping over them in ng+ because they're bland, samey, and not challenging. I got tired of them on the first playthrough long before I finished it.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Radahn is the only unique thing of the entire map as far as I recall. It doesn't even have a real legacy dungeon.
The divine tower is very cool to explore and it's pretty big. You start from outside and even on the exterior there are a lot of ladders and there's a ton of verticality before you actually get in. You can kinda get lost. Then on the inside you can go up which you just take an elevator or you can go down which is pretty fun. All the way down there's a boss.
The Godskin Apostle

SumDrunkGuy

Radahn is the only unique thing of the entire map as far as I recall. It doesn't even have a real legacy dungeon.
The divine tower is very cool to explore and it's pretty big. You start from outside and even on the exterior there are a lot of ladders and there's a ton of verticality before you actually get in. You can kinda get lost. Then on the inside you can go up which you just take an elevator or you can go down which is pretty fun. All the way down there's a boss.
The Godskin Apostle

I liked Dragonbarrow which I consider part of Caelid. There's some tough fights there. I also spent a lot of time farming the midgets there which I didn't mind.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The Godskin Apostle
A jumping section which is the sort of thing I'm least interested in in this game, and a boss you fight in Altus plateau and Farum as a duo. I can't say this makes the cut.

Radahn remains the only thing of value out of an entire map.

illuknisaa

Cipher
I thought mini dungeons were ok. Most of them had some sort of unique gimmick that made playing through them fun at least once. They could have had more varied enemies and more unique bosses. Eg. how about a dungeon that gets filled up with water/lava/rot/poison and you are under time pressure to complete it. Or the boss room is altered. Eg. floor has spike traps forcing you to move more. Some of the bosses were also completely recycled (wolf of radagon, tree spirit worm etc.). They could have at least randomized enemies in NG+.

SumDrunkGuy

Most of them had some sort of unique gimmick that made playing through them fun at least once.

I don't remember that at all. The only "unique gimmick" I remember were the ones with shadow enemies that you had to lead into light. I guess there was the spike wheel things. Those were just annoying.

I agree with everything else you said tho.

Edit

Fuck I think I missed some of the divine towers on my first playthrough. How tf did I manage that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom