Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The adjustments to colossal weapons sounds good, as do many of the other balance changes. I'm kind of surprised they didn't nerf bleed though. Rivers of Cancer and Eleanora's Winblade are some of the most disgusting things I've seen in any of these games.
Tonight I will definitely try out the Ruins Greatsword to see if the increase in attack speed and decrease in recovery time actually make any difference. To me, a big selling point for regular greatswords was that you could chain 3-4 R1s against a staggered enemy (in PvE, obviously), while with colossal swords the second attack would come out too slowly to hit the enemy before the inevitable dodge. If colossal swords will now hit fast enough to keep human-sized enemies staggered, it's time to bring Malenia's rape to a whole new level.

Eh, Ruins is a bit short for my taste. Ace Weapon Art, though. Makes for a decent offhand :P

My favorite combo so far is Greatsword (Fire) + Troll's Golden Sword (Cold).
Fire gives good damage (particularly with Flame Grant me Strenght), Cold triggers Frostbite for a nice chunk damage. And they look well together IMO :)

Kept away from Power Stancing for a longer time, but the difference in damage output is just too large to ignore (needing 1-2 swings to off enemies rather then 3-4).

Primary WA Bloodhound's Step, of course.
Though sometimes I play a bit with Flames of the Redmanes, Waves of Darkness or testing some others.

Last edited:

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
It gets under my skin so much that faggot redditors will spend gigabytes bitching about bleed and especially rivers of blood, but won't acknowledge that BHS is far and way the most broken, game sullying shit From has ever done. Bleed is OP -- everyone knows it -- but you can counter bleedfags just by playing better.

But BHS is ridiculous. It trivializes PVE, so many fucking faggots think they melted some boss and are like "hurr durr that was easy" yeah of course the game is easy when you have a cheat code for the mechanics you spastic.

And then the damage it does to PVP is profound. There's no "counter" to BHS, there's just turning 30 second engagements into boring 5 minute affairs with the benny hill music playing in the background because you've got to chase these fags down repeatedly across the map until they FINALLY exhaust all their blue and chugs. There's your "counter" bro. If someone competent is using BHS, forget about it. You might as well just alt f4.

If they nerf it, how am I gonna keep up with this game's speed and bosses with dual Colossal Swords?
I NEED the Step to stand a chance :P

Otherwise I will need to revert to spamming some broken ability like Hoarfrost Stomp again untill they all die.

I run dual colossal swords. It's certainly far more challenging (and sometimes a lot more boring) than anything else in the game but its not unviable the way people make it out. If you're powerstancing colossals you're getting 2x damage on every l1. If you do a jumping l1, it's insane damage and especially posture damage. I've yet to meet a boss that was so fast you couldn't get at least one attack in, and most of the colossals have the roll/crouch r1 poke for when the window is too small for anything else.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
It gets under my skin so much that faggot redditors will spend gigabytes bitching about bleed and especially rivers of blood, but won't acknowledge that BHS is far and way the most broken, game sullying shit From has ever done. Bleed is OP -- everyone knows it -- but you can counter bleedfags just by playing better.

But BHS is ridiculous. It trivializes PVE, so many fucking faggots think they melted some boss and are like "hurr durr that was easy" yeah of course the game is easy when you have a cheat code for the mechanics you spastic.

And then the damage it does to PVP is profound. There's no "counter" to BHS, there's just turning 30 second engagements into boring 5 minute affairs with the benny hill music playing in the background because you've got to chase these fags down repeatedly across the map until they FINALLY exhaust all their blue and chugs. There's your "counter" bro. If someone competent is using BHS, forget about it. You might as well just alt f4.

If they nerf it, how am I gonna keep up with this game's speed and bosses with dual Colossal Swords?

Otherwise I will need to revert to spamming some broken ability like Hoarfrost Stomp again untill they all die.

I run dual colossal swords. It's certainly far more challenging (and sometimes a lot more boring) than anything else in the game but its not unviable the way people make it out. If you're powerstancing colossals you're getting 2x damage on every l1. If you do a jumping l1, it's insane damage and especially posture damage. I've yet to meet a boss that was so fast you couldn't get at least one attack in, and most of the colossals have the roll/crouch r1 poke for when the window is too small for anything else.

But with dual colossals I'm pretty much stuck with fatroll (unless I wore light armor or something - and I suck too much to do this). Too slow without the Step.
Though in most PvE its actually okay. Unless facing some Black Knives, Crucibles, Godskins or those frozen reavers turned normal mobs. Or bosses....
Of course, for bosses there are the Wonderous Flasks that give light encumbrance - but I still struggle greatly. Maybe I suck too much.

I bought Elden Ring. Turns out both my PS4 controllers have been ruined by being pissed on by a cat. The joysticks don't work any more. Now I need to replace them for the third or fourth time. This is getting expensive! He isn't even my cat he comes in my cat's cat door to steal her food!

Justice has been served. Last week I heard a vicious cat fight in my lounge. The cat that pissed on my controllers (an old grey tom) was in there beating the shit out of my small female cat. I shut the door, put on protective clothing, and caught him. I put the blighter in my shower and gave him a soaking in the hopes it will traumatize him so much he never comes back. After about 50 seconds to a minute of soaking he stopped running around trying to avoid the water and just sat there and cried. I felt too sorry for him so I let him leave, feeling extremely guilty for how I had treated this obviously pampered pet.

I'd been trying to catch this bastard cat for years and I finally did. What should have been a jubilant triumph was actually quite upsetting, leaving me a bit depressed and feeling like a big bully. I'll still do it again if he comes back.

holy mother of autism dude call animal control what the fuck is wrong with you trying to get rabies while applying water torture to some feral cat and letting it harass your shit for years jesus fuck

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I watched this earlier today and was fairly impressed. It was weird seeing someone use a bleed colossal sword, but whatever.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I bought Elden Ring. Turns out both my PS4 controllers have been ruined by being pissed on by a cat. The joysticks don't work any more. Now I need to replace them for the third or fourth time. This is getting expensive! He isn't even my cat he comes in my cat's cat door to steal her food!

Justice has been served. Last week I heard a vicious cat fight in my lounge. The cat that pissed on my controllers (an old grey tom) was in there beating the shit out of my small female cat. I shut the door, put on protective clothing, and caught him. I put the blighter in my shower and gave him a soaking in the hopes it will traumatize him so much he never comes back. After about 50 seconds to a minute of soaking he stopped running around trying to avoid the water and just sat there and cried. I felt too sorry for him so I let him leave, feeling extremely guilty for how I had treated this obviously pampered pet.

I'd been trying to catch this bastard cat for years and I finally did. What should have been a jubilant triumph was actually quite upsetting, leaving me a bit depressed and feeling like a big bully. I'll still do it again if he comes back.

holy mother of autism dude call animal control what the fuck is wrong with you trying to get rabies while applying water torture to some feral cat and letting it harass your shit for years jesus fuck
He's not feral he's a pet of one of my neighbors. He has a collar with a heart shaped tag and is very cute looking, like he belongs on a packet of cat food. He's just mean and has beaten up my own cats for years. My current pet, and the previous one who passed on from cancer. He's old now, hence why I was able to catch him.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The adjustments to colossal weapons sounds good, as do many of the other balance changes. I'm kind of surprised they didn't nerf bleed though. Rivers of Cancer and Eleanora's Winblade are some of the most disgusting things I've seen in any of these games.
Wasn't the mimic and moonveil nerf (or lack thereof, since both are still insanely strong tools, just barely more balanced) any indication that they do not really intend to hammer down all the strong things in this game, but are more likely to bring other things up, hence the increased damage of colossal and better attack speed?
They've also buffed some of the few ashes of colossal that were already decent but might become really good like this :
Lion's Claw - Increased cast speed and decreased recovery time.
The more they patch the game, the more I'm left with the impression that, while they were not thinking of the more nutty shit (like dual wield twinblade jump attack with all the talisman and buff combinations), the balance they seek for the game is.. well, much higher level than the average souls game.

Anyhow, all the faggots who thought colossal weren't massively under power were countered by From admitting as much.

Edit : reading more of the notes, they've also changed almost all spells across the board to either cast faster, have less recovery time, or both in some cases. I have a feeling that months from now this game might be unrecognizable.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
There is mimic tear which can solo the game for you

Eh, that's an exagerration.
I mean its a huge help and makes the fights MUCH easier. But at least my mimic won't solo any tougher bosses.
In fact faced with the likes of Elden Beast, he'll do very little on his own.

Last edited:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The mimic's power is entirely dependant on the player character build. Someone's mimic soloed Malenia post mimic nerf ffs.

Yeah it won't do much for the elden beast but an exception does not make the rule. Elden Beast flails around too much for any spirit ash to show even a shred of usefulness.

How useful your mimic is, is a reflection of how useful your build is.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I just rode past them. Why cheese if they are just trashmobs and usually don't even drop anything of value.

They gave good xp when I first faced them.... but were way too much trouble for me back then.

He's not feral he's a pet of one of my neighbors. He has a collar with a heart shaped tag and is very cute looking, like he belongs on a packet of cat food. He's just mean and has beaten up my own cats for years. My current pet, and the previous one who passed on from cancer. He's old now, hence why I was able to catch him.

That's even worse. He is getting in through the cat door? Seal the cat door. Your cat isn't going to die from not going outside. In fact, by letting it free roam in the first place, like this cat's dipshit owner, you are dramatically increasing its chances of dying early and horribly. Think about the situation as a third party observer for a second - you've been letting an animal come into your house, piss around, harass your animals, and damage your property and apparently the only way you decided to address it was by blaming the animal for being an animal (and no, as far as I understand it cats do not really form associations that would make punishments effective.) And you are presumably letting your cat just hang out and do whatever as well. I am somewhere between concerned and terrified, in part for the animals in this situation, but mostly on your behalf because your complacency with this situation makes me wonder whether you are exercising a proper level of self care.

I'm not blaming you for allowing the cat door to...exist thus far, because I think the broad pet owner culture is a little bit delusional. Most pet owners are like pedophiles in that they ascribe a much higher level of intelligence and autonomy to their lessers than they actually possess. Imagine if it was as acceptable for everyone to adopt a bunch of toddlers and let them run around the neighborhood unsupervised. Imagine for years living with your neighbor's toddler just randomly breaking into your place through the dedicated toddler-tunnel you have built into your garage to facilitate the toddler-roaming culture, put up with him pissing and shitting all over your playstations, beating up your own toddlers, and like shooting up heroin on whatever else in your living room, and the one time you caught the little shit you decide to blame him for being a toddler and torture him a little in hopes that his toddler-mind will learn from this and sin no more.

Listen, it's not your fault. The culture is just retarded. But I think you should take care of yourself and your cat and I would strongly consider getting rid of the cat door in order to do that.

Bloodeyes

Arcane

That's even worse. He is getting in through the cat door? Seal the cat door. Your cat isn't going to die from not going outside. In fact, by letting it free roam in the first place, like this cat's dipshit owner, you are dramatically increasing its chances of dying early and horribly. Think about the situation as a third party observer for a second - you've been letting an animal come into your house, piss around, harass your animals, and damage your property and apparently the only way you decided to address it was by blaming the animal for being an animal (and no, as far as I understand it cats do not really form associations that would make punishments effective.) And you are presumably letting your cat just hang out and do whatever as well. I am somewhere between concerned and terrified, in part for the animals in this situation, but mostly on your behalf because your complacency with this situation makes me wonder whether you are exercising a proper level of self care.

I'm not blaming you for allowing the cat door to...exist thus far, because I think the broad pet owner culture is a little bit delusional. Most pet owners are like pedophiles in that they ascribe a much higher level of intelligence and autonomy to their lessers than they actually possess. Imagine if it was as acceptable for everyone to adopt a bunch of toddlers and let them run around the neighborhood unsupervised. Imagine for years living with your neighbor's toddler just randomly breaking into your place through the dedicated toddler-tunnel you have built into your garage to facilitate the toddler-roaming culture, put up with him pissing and shitting all over your playstations, beating up your own toddlers, and like shooting up heroin on whatever else in your living room, and the one time you caught the little shit you decide to blame him for being a toddler and torture him a little in hopes that his toddler-mind will learn from this and sin no more.

Listen, it's not your fault. The culture is just retarded. But I think you should take care of yourself and your cat and I would strongly consider getting rid of the cat door in order to do that.

I'm not reading all that. You need to calm down.

I won't.

I understand you feel guilty and upset.

But pain can make us neglect introspection and self-care.

I don't blame you; just know that I am always here if you want to talk.

I care about you even if no one else does. I will be keeping an eye on anything else that may be of concern. Take care until then.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Holy crap, no connection errors in half an hour of summons.

Please stay like this please stay like this please stay like this...

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
"Lyric Suite, why bother kill the birds, just ran past them"

And then you find this shit in a spot garded by them:

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Windy+Crystal+Tear
This one is pretty bad honestly. It doesn't give you more iframes than quickstep or bloodhound step, it takes up a slot that could be used for the bubble that soaks 99% damage of one hit, for the damage reduction one, for the ones that do damage buffs that stacks multiplicatively with your talismans etc.
And it actually increases the damage you take if you miss a dodge.

Btw I have it in my inventory and I don't remember ever stopping to kill birds in caelid so I must have circled around, taken the item and.. ran past them.

Get the Winged one instead.
Max your Encumbrance with Heavy Armor and dual Colossals and still do the light roll for 3 minutes. No Defence penalty too!

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

But with dual colossals I'm pretty much stuck with fatroll (unless I wore light armor or something - and I suck too much to do this). Too slow without the Step.
Though in most PvE its actually okay. Unless facing some Black Knives, Crucibles, Godskins or those frozen reavers turned normal mobs. Or bosses....
Of course, for bosses there are the Wonderous Flasks that give light encumbrance - but I still struggle greatly. Maybe I suck too much.

Have you tried Radahn's? That's what they are for - paired colossal swords for the weight of just one.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
The things i do for you guys:

I have had no issues with Cats, rotten tree spirits, Crucible knights...but the three putrid crystalians drove me a bit crazy - the number of times I was trying to do something before the spear one stuck his spear in my face and then the mage one started doing his next set of wide range spray and then I had scarlet rot *sigh*...... What I learnt was that Mists of Nokron or whatever that AOE spell though is good against them if you can just keep them rounded up in the centre.

I'm guessing in the cave you can probably at least summon ashes to cheese them.

Later in Haligtree there are 3 of them in a really tiny area, you can't summon... and the Haligtree ones do so much damage its not funny at all....

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The things i do for you guys:

I have had no issues with Cats, rotten tree spirits, Crucible knights...but the three putrid crystalians drove me a bit crazy - the number of times I was trying to do something before the spear one stuck his spear in my face and then the mage one started doing his next set of wide range spray and then I had scarlet rot *sigh*...... What I learnt was that Mists of Nokron or whatever that AOE spell though is good against them if you can just keep them rounded up in the centre.

I'm guessing in the cave you can probably at least summon ashes to cheese them.

Later in Halightree there are 3 of them in a really tiny area, you can't summon... and the Haligtree ones do so much damage its not funny at all....

Pretty easy to split them up and drag them to a larger area though... :cool:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Have you tried Radahn's? That's what they are for - paired colossal swords for the weight of just one.

The Radahn's swords are a huge trap IMO.
They are short, they don't have pokes, can't two-hand one of them, the WA is flashy and deals significant damage BUT costs a shitton of FP (you pay twice if you want to deal damage), will often lead to trading and I guess its probably entirely useless vs bosses.
Avoid like the plague IMO.

Last edited:

Sunri

Liturgist

The Radahn's swords are a huge trap IMO.
They are short, they don't have pokes, can't two-hand one of them, the WA is flashy and deals significant damage BUT will often lead to trading and I guess its probably entirely useless vs bosses.
Avoid like the plague IMO.

Jump attack

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom