Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I was able to read them but it took a bit for sure. Sadly, nothing to do but trying to get gud, or cheese them with stuff like rotten breath.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
Interface of this game is clunky as fuck and hard to understand and use... World feels empty, no npc's, just going from a boss to a boss and meeting some minions on the way - basically kill everything that moves. Characters you rarely meet that don't attack you on sight are MYSTERIOUS (meaning: making no sense whatsoever in a most pretentious japanese way ever).
Bosses fight are the same shit from 90's NES games - you have to memorize moves of the boss and then apply it in the battle. Open world means invisible walls everywhere in this game and traversing empty terrains - I felt like I'm playing on War Thunder maps. Empty, not interesting, everyone drops fingers that you don't know what to do with. You are some fucker that for some unknown reason must fight big ass motherfuckers and kill all of them (for what?)
I REALLY tried to get this game and to like it. I feel almost bad that I don't get the hype of this game. But seriously... Skyrim beats this game and it's 10 years old (even on visual plane). Witcher 3 is a masterpiece compared to that and I'm not a biggest fan of Witcher neither.

PLEASE someone explain this to me why this game is so fucking hyped everywhere.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Interface of this game is clunky as fuck and hard to understand and use...

Interface is perfectly functional and fine , just gotta get used to it.

World feels empty, no npc's, just going from a boss to a boss and meeting some minions on the way - basically kill everything that moves.
World has POI everywhere, and who would have thought in an Action RPG the prevalent activity woule have been combat? Pikachu face

Characters you rarely meet that don't attack you on sight are MYSTERIOUS (meaning: making no sense whatsoever in a most pretentious japanese way ever).
It has been like this in every soul game, better than nosense infodump of other games. here npcs, altough a bit elusive, convey well the feeling that they have their motives and agendas

Bosses fight are the same shit from 90's NES games - you have to memorize moves of the boss and then apply it in the battle
yeah they should be beaten by passing charisma checks instead

Open world means invisible walls everywhere in this game and traversing empty terrains - I felt like I'm playing on War Thunder maps. Empty, not interesting, everyone drops fingers that you don't know what to do with.

haven't encountered a single invisible wall, and fingers are the multiplayer items and there are only like 4 of them you can obtain at beginning of game

You are some fucker that for some unknown reason must fight big ass motherfuckers and kill all of them (for what?)

while i can't comment much on this, since myself i have no idea of the big picture, the charm of soul game is put together the pieces and dots and understand the overall plot. no spoonfeeding

. But seriously... Skyrim beats this game and it's 10 years old (even on visual plane). Witcher 3 is a masterpiece compared to that and I'm not a biggest fan of Witcher neither.
ok, go back to playing skyrim special legendary badass 3.0 smartphone edition

Last edited:

ferratilis

Magister
It's obviously a troll post, Elden Ring is brimming with content. I constantly find myself going in one direction to do something specific, then getting sidetracked and ending up fighting some dungeon boss, or just exploring the beautiful vistas. And the movement is just perfect, Torrent is probably the best horse in games, period.

Anyway, is there a way to change the affinity of unique weapons? Currently I'm using Zweihander +13 and it's been amazing so far, but I'd like to try that cool looking Grafted Sword, since I have all these Somber Smithing Stones I'm not using. However, I have pumped everything into strength so I'd like to make it Heavy. Fextralife wiki is useless on this topic, as usual.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's obviously a troll post, Elden Ring is brimming with content. I constantly find myself going in one direction to do something specific, then getting sidetracked and ending up fighting some dungeon boss, or just exploring the beautiful vistas. And the movement is just perfect, Torrent is probably the best horse in games, period.

Anyway, is there a way to change the affinity of unique weapons? Currently I'm using Zweihander +13 and it's been amazing so far, but I'd like to try that cool looking Grafted Sword, since I have all these Somber Smithing Stones I'm not using. However, I have pumped everything into strength so I'd like to make it Heavy. Fextralife wiki is useless on this topic, as usual.

No, anything that upgrades with somber stones is set to whatever. Only regular stone upgrade weapons can change their skills and affinities with ash of war. (Actually, I think there's one exception to this rule, but I can't recall which one it is at the moment.)

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

You don't really need to change it to Heavy. You'd maybe see some tangible effect with extreme Strenght. As far as I remember, it scales well with Str anyway. The only affinities I've found worhwhile as a Str build till late game were Frost and Fire...
Edit: and also Holy - but only for some enemies.

I did prefer the Greatsword with its Art and affinity customizability, great reach and great look... but I guess the Grafted sword's vertical R2s do have their charm.
You spend way less Somber stones on upgrades and they are plentiful, so no worries if you spend some on a non-optimal weapon.

Last edited:

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Levelling a dual stat build as a dual stat build is dumb. Don't do what I'm doing. I respecced a perfectly fine faith character into a DEX/ARC hybrid build with 22 FTH for spell prereqs. He's getting there, at long last. But it's been painful. The right way to do this would have been to try to find an early weapon with good ARC scaling (not sure if they exist) and just level that first leaving DEX at prereqs, or (Far more straightforward), play a pure DEX build with minimal faith for blade buffs, get DEX to 50, then take FTH to 22 and start working ARC to gain the bleed and offensive casting at endgame. Another way is to just play pure faith so you can be a fighter/caster then respec to the mixed build at end game. Though I doubt you'd even want to respec from pure faith.

The lesson is you can do two things but you should be good at one of them first. It's a lesson I thought I learned on my last playthrough. Nope. Everything seems so achievable at low level when the stat points come quickly. Still, I'm getting there. I'm level 88 and finally have my 22 faith and my Vigor, Mind and Endurance in a place where I can take one of my main offensive stats above 20. I'm going with Arcane first. Pretty close to getting the black whetblade so I'll run two weapons - my bloody rapier will get repeating thrust put on it and I'll have a second weapon with arcane scaling and a good ash to deal good single hit damage.

Still playing light with a robe and no shoes and enjoying that at least.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Levelling a dual stat build as a dual stat build is dumb. Don't do what I'm doing. I respecced a perfectly fine faith character into a DEX/ARC hybrid build with 22 FTH for spell prereqs. He's getting there, at long last. But it's been painful. The right way to do this would have been to try to find an early weapon with good ARC scaling (not sure if they exist) and just level that first leaving DEX at prereqs, or (Far more straightforward), play a pure DEX build with minimal faith for blade buffs, get DEX to 50, then take FTH to 22 and start working ARC to gain the bleed and offensive casting at endgame. Another way is to just play pure faith so you can be a fighter/caster then respec to the mixed build at end game. Though I doubt you'd even want to respec from pure faith.

The lesson is you can do two things but you should be good at one of them first. It's a lesson I thought I learned on my last playthrough. Nope. Everything seems so achievable at low level when the stat points come quickly. Still, I'm getting there. I'm level 88 and finally have my 22 faith and my Vigor, Mind and Endurance in a place where I can take one of my main offensive stats above 20. I'm going with Arcane first. Pretty close to getting the black whetblade so I'll run two weapons - my bloody rapier will get repeating thrust put on it and I'll have a second weapon with arcane scaling and a good ash to deal good single hit damage.

You can get like 20 of those spirit placentas or whatever, so don't worry too much about experimenting with your stats and trying stuff out if you're not sure.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Decided to take a page out of NJClaw's book even though my parry-fu skills are inconsistent:

Nice flex with the fist weapon :salute:

Heh, i wanted to see if i could proc a bleed with it, but i forgot to upgrade it. The Great Stars are at +18 now but the spiked fists were still at +15.

Those fists look awesome with the rest of my set up. I'm trying to keep them handy in case the Great Stars is too cumbersome and i need something fast on a pinch.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

i agree, i made the same mistake by leveling both STR and faith. a lot of points wasted unless you use specific weapons that scales from both. i now want to respec to dual wielding katanas, should i go full ARC and put the minimum in dex to wield the weapons, or full dex with low arc? i want bleed to proc reasonably fast but at same time do damage with normal attacks

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Dex before Arc.

Full Arc is best with occult on weapons that already have the bleed status effect.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
i agree, i made the same mistake by leveling both STR and faith. a lot of points wasted unless you use specific weapons that scales from both. i now want to respec to dual wielding katanas, should i go full ARC and put the minimum in dex to wield the weapons, or full dex with low arc? i want bleed to proc reasonably fast but at same time do damage with normal attacks

I guess the question is which two katanas? Look at what they scale off. The uchigatana is native bleed and can be buffed with incants. You could either change it to a bloody weapon and get (I think) C DEX scaling and D ARC or make it keen and get good DEX scaling and cast bloodflame blade on it if you keep enough FTH for buffs. I like the flexibility in that route, escpecially if you take 13 INT for Order's Blade so you have a second buff that lasts a while and adds reasonable damage while allowing you to finish undead without needing to hit them on the ground. I don't know about the other katanas and what your second one would be. I sold all the katanas because their stats are so good for what I want to do but I don't think they fit my character. So I removed the temptation.

mediocrepoet

Patron

I guess the question is which two katanas? Look at what they scale off. The uchigatana is native bleed and can be buffed with incants. You could either change it to a bloody weapon and get (I think) C DEX scaling and D ARC or make it keen and get good DEX scaling and cast bloodflame blade on it if you keep enough FTH for buffs. I like the flexibility in that route, escpecially if you take 13 INT for Order's Blade so you have a second buff that lasts a while and adds reasonable damage while allowing you to finish undead without needing to hit them on the ground. I don't know about the other katanas and what your second one would be. I sold all the katanas because their stats are so good for what I want to do but I don't think they fit my character. So I removed the temptation.

Sigh. This does everything you want, has bloodflame built into it, and is pure cancer so it almost wins the game for you.

rivers_of_blood_katana_weapon_elden_ring_wiki_guide_200px.png

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Rivers+of+Blood

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Sigh. This does everything you want, has bloodflame built into it, and is pure cancer so it almost wins the game for you.

rivers_of_blood_katana_weapon_elden_ring_wiki_guide_200px.png

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Rivers+of+Blood

I'm aware of rivers of blood. Still I'm not sure about it. On paper it doesn't look better than my rapier. At 20 ARC my rapier has 73 bleed (70 at 10 ARC). It has C DEX scaling and D ARC. I think it needs 1 more upgrade to move to B and C scaling, though I may misremember. A blood great epee has bleed in the 80s at 20 ARC. Possibly more than ROB, and with better DEX scaling. Neither weapon can be buffed with bloodflames, but might the better DEX scaling not compensate for that?

It procs bleed on three hits against trash mobs and 5-6 against tougher things. It can also stab while I hold my shield up. Bloodflame blade the spell doesn't scale with ARC and apparently adds around 30 bleed to a weapon. So rivers of blood ought to have around bleed 80 before arcane effects, pretty close to what my blood rapier has (and less than a blood great epee).

The rapier can take repeating thrust, so it should proc bleed every time I do that. The katana starts out with D scaling in both stats. Worse than the rapier. The katana weighs more than the rapier, relevant for someone like me using the blue dancer charm.

Plus the rapier is not a fucking katana. I intend to acquire ROB to compare the two, but if the rapier is even close in damage output I'm sticking with it. It's a handy weapon and easy to hit things with.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
yeah i would be using Uchi and ROB i think, unless serpentehatever blade is better than uchi. also i'm not sure about buffs. i would like some buffs but not at price of a huge investment in other stats other than dex/arc

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm aware of rivers of blood. Still I'm not sure about it. On paper it doesn't look better than my rapier. At 20 ARC my rapier has 73 bleed (70 at 10 ARC). It has C DEX scaling and D ARC.
Anything that goes on "on paper" means nothing once you start talking about Rivers of Blood. The scaling, total attack power, and bleed buildup are all irrelevant. Just press L2 three times and you'll see why. The weapon art is so unbelievably broken that it's impossible to use it without feeling like you're cheating.

Here I'm using its weapon art against the fourth-to-last boss (at 1:25):

Even at SL1, each combo deals 2000-2500 damage.

Dex before Arc.

Full Arc is best with occult on weapons that already have the bleed status effect.
so how much of dex and arc i should be aiming to?
It depends on what infusions you're going to use. If you're using blood or occult, then you want to put everything into Arcane and just pump Dexterity high enough to satisfy the weapon's requirements.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Patron
I'm aware of rivers of blood. Still I'm not sure about it. On paper it doesn't look better than my rapier. At 20 ARC my rapier has 73 bleed (70 at 10 ARC). It has C DEX scaling and D ARC. I think it needs 1 more upgrade to move to B and C scaling, though I may misremember. A blood great epee has bleed in the 80s at 20 ARC. Possibly more than ROB, and with better DEX scaling. Neither weapon can be buffed with bloodflames, but might the better DEX scaling not compensate for that?

It procs bleed on three hits against trash mobs and 5-6 against tougher things. It can also stab while I hold my shield up. Bloodflame blade the spell doesn't scale with ARC and apparently adds around 30 bleed to a weapon. So rivers of blood ought to have around bleed 80 before arcane effects, pretty close to what my blood rapier has (and less than a blood great epee).

The rapier can take repeating thrust, so it should proc bleed every time I do that. The katana starts out with D scaling in both stats. Worse than the rapier. The katana weighs more than the rapier, relevant for someone like me using the blue dancer charm.

Plus the rapier is not a fucking katana. I intend to acquire ROB to compare the two, but if the rapier is even close in damage output I'm sticking with it. It's a handy weapon and easy to hit things with.

Pretty much everything you just said is why theorycrafting is crap versus actually trying stuff out as a certain poster likes to point out in other threads. Equip it and go screw around. Rapier is basically a D-tier weapon or lower and ROB is arguably the best weapon in the entire game.

Dhaze

Cipher
yeah they should be beaten by passing charisma checks instead

- Discover Moghwyn Palace.
- Fight Mohg.
- Get killed.
- Go to the Haligtree.
- Meet Malenia.
- Instead of a bossfight, have the option to tell her, "Hey, I know where your brother is, but some jealous guy stands in the way."
- Malenia disappears without a word; no fight.
- Return to Mohg, and see a golden sign on the floor.
- Summon Malenia to puree Mohg's bloody ass.

I honestly would have loved that.

Anything that goes on "on paper" means nothing once you start talking about Rivers of Blood. The scaling, total attack power, and bleed buildup are all irrelevant. Just press L2 three times and you'll see why. The weapon art is so unbelievably broken that it's impossible to use it without feeling like you're cheating.

Which is funny since it was nigh-unusable when the game first came out. I found Rivers Of Blood, and thought it looked kinda neat, so I dumped a lot of stones into upgrading it... and it was utter shit because the arcane scaling was bugged.

So it went from one of the most useless weapons, to arguably the best.

ferratilis

Magister
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/miyazakis-favourite-elden-ring-boss-is-radahn/
Miyazaki's favourite Elden Ring boss is Radahn
By Rich Stanton published about 3 hours ago

"I wonder if there is a feeling of loneliness that is unique to us."

KZ4eLfHupt5etPSUnxBU2C-320-80.jpg

(Image credit: FromSoftware)

Elden Ring has been a wild success for FromSoftware and publisher Bandai Namco, and Xbox Japan recently spoke to Hidetaka Miyazaki. Miyazaki's one of those figures where you have to be careful about ascribing too much to him—these games are, after all, made by hundreds of people—while at the same time acknowledging that, as a game director, the titles he works on have distinct and singular characteristics.

He makes this point early on while answering the Xbox questions, saying that because Elden Ring is so much bigger than previous projects "the part left to the staff other than me has become larger."

One of the questions is which boss is Miyazaki's personal favourite. His answers below are machine-translated and edited for clarity.

"I'm slightly confused by the question, but it's Radahn. He's attractive as an individual character, and I like the scenario of the Radahn Festival."

If you haven't played Elden Ring, or indeed found Radahn, his appearance is triggered by a 'festival' of combat, which changes the Redmane Castle location and fills it with interactable NPCs.

"I wonder if there is a feeling of loneliness that is unique to us," continues Miyazaki. "Alongside a literally festive and uplifting feeling. I miss when I first talked about the idea of a 'Radhan Festival' and no-one on the team took it seriously!"

There are a couple of consolation prizes, too: "The runner-ups are Godrick and Rykard."

missing-image.svg

(Image credit: From Software)
Miyazaki goes on to mention a few of the titles that inspired the game. "As a user, I played many open-world games called 'masterpieces', and was inspired by each of them. There's no time to name them all, but certainly The Elder Scrolls series and The Witcher 3. In recent years especially, I think The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild should be mentioned."

Amusingly enough the interview ends with some grousing about those horrible hands that grab you at certain points in the game—which always seemed to me inspired by an enemy type in another Zelda game, A Link to the Past.

"What can I say," says Miyazaki. "I'm very sorry." He is not sorry.

"In fact, Ubimushi is one of my favorite designs. Feeling like you can't look at it is rather bad... Isn't it possible to overcome it by looking firmly and defeating it?"

Miyazaki ends by saying that, while FromSoft is gratified by Elden Ring's success, it won't lead to any change in their attitude towards game development. "We've always made games that we believe are interesting, and we'll continue to do so in the future [...] this is the best way to convey our joy and gratitude to our users."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom