Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Caim

Arcane
I've been trying to fight the final death rite bird found in the consecrated snowfield. The previous one was doable, but this one isn't just tougher, but it's also right in range of Touhou's Moving Castle so every time I got assblased by a hail of magic. Luring it to the cliffs to be out of range of the castle is tricky as well because it leaves me with no room to maneuver around. Might take a while.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've been trying to fight the final death rite bird found in the consecrated snowfield. The previous one was doable, but this one isn't just tougher, but it's also right in range of Touhou's Moving Castle so every time I got assblased by a hail of magic. Luring it to the cliffs to be out of range of the castle is tricky as well because it leaves me with no room to maneuver around. Might take a while.
Can't you... shut down the mausoleum?

Caim

Arcane
No idea if you can switch it off, will try that next time.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
No idea if you can switch it off, will try that next time.
You most definitely can (unless they patched it out for whatever sick reason).

Dhaze

Cipher
Fourth character. Going for a dagger-and-bow kind of fellow, to see how the game plays like that.

So I'm darting left and right into the world to quickly collect the weapons, talismans, ashes and bits of armor I want; when wooosh Melina appears, and tells me she's sorry, she's been testing me to see if I was "fit to face the challenge," and that "it seems [her] worries were unfounded." Girl, I've only been riding Torrent left and right—so far the greatest challenge I've faced was killing a couple of Teardrop Beetles.

Anyway, this time I've also met D. Hunter Of The Dead out in the wild, instead of meeting him for the first time at the Roundtable, as had happened in my previous playthroughs.

D.

wjHUVQE.png

Hunter Of The Dead.

cpmt58O.png

Hum... I said: Hunter Of The Dead.

stwYEqW.png

Oh for crying out loud.

For every great thing about Elden Ring, there's some absurdity like that. Characters who "convey well the feeling that they have their motives and agendas," someone said earlier. Yeah well the Hunter Of The Dead conveys the feeling that he's a fucking mongoloid who won't so much as move an inch when a dead guy stabs him repeatedly in the face.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
So I set out to play Elden Ring using only the rapier you buy in rountable hold, a sacred seal and a robe. The rules were:

- No shield.
- Only one weapon.
- Only use the jellyfish as a summon.
- You have to stay light.

At level 101 I'm using a shield and I have two weapons. One of them is the rapier (keen, bloody slash), the other is Eagle's Talon (keen, square off). I have a shield (basic heater shield from roundtable hold). I just found the game way too aggravating to play without an alternate weapon and a shield. It's doable but it sucks. So I've failed to realize those aspects of the character concept.

Still, I stuck with being light, I stuck with the rapier until it became okay and I've stuck with the jellyfish. None of those things make me feel less effective. Being light is good. The jelly is useful. The rapier has some good points but is overall a kind of bad weapon that I've saved with a great ash.

Bloody slash really cut Radahn down to size. Just getting in close and spamming it finished him pretty easily. It's such a good move for bosses. It's quick, cheap, easy to land and it does good damage. Losing a chip of HP is well worth it.

As I inch my way towards acceptable main stats I'm finally starting to feel strong. The playthrough is going pretty good. Bleed isn't really happening for me yet at arcane 23 with bleed 70-something on my weapon. I'll leave bleed on the back burner for now. Arcane has other benefits. Like it boosts the damage of my bloody slash and makes my rotten breath proc faster. That's enough to make the Dragon Communion Seal feel worth it to me, even if the bleed never ends up being as broken as I hoped.

I'll take people's word about Rivers of Blood. Even if it is better than my rapier (not too hard to believe) I'll be selling it when I get it, like I did with the other katanas. A rapier and a straight sword are fine for me.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Guys, you know what i always dreamed about?

To play Frigid Outskirts again, except now it's open world with giant bears and that fucking jumping magic wolf.

Caim

Arcane
Guys, you know what i always dreamed about?

To play Frigid Outskirts again, except now it's open world with giant bears and that fucking jumping magic wolf.
If you think that's bad just wait until you've run into the half-dozen or so other fun ways to get you shit pushed in in the consecrated snowfields.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, i killed all the bears, killed that archer riding the wolf, killed the magic wolf, ran past those giant ghost things since killing them doesn't make them stop respawning, cleared the cart being pulled by the yetis, and killed the rot hammer guy.

Anything else? At least the second half of this area has clear visibility.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Well, i killed all the bears, killed that archer riding the horse, killed the magic wolf, ran past those giant ghost things since killing them doesn't make them stop respawning, cleared the cart being pulled by the yetis, and killed the rot hammer guy.

Anything else? At least the second half of this area has clear visibility.
Make sure to find all the invaders and caves in the area, visit the far corners of the map for some good lood and fun surprises, and try to figure out the riddle of the tower on your own. Then get to the town for a nice one-two whammy of asskickings.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah i'm at the tower now.

I killed the red wolf, but why is it always sending gate? Noped out of there for now. Got invaded once already. Wasn't hard or anything.

Ho, and i know there's some night bosses as i've seen messages but i'll worry about that later. Propably that fucking bird again.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Ho, and i know there's some night bosses as i've seen messages but i'll worry about that later. Propably that fucking bird again.

Yep, and it's the toughest version of that fucking birdie this time, without a nearby spawn point. And there's also that fucking horse guy again -- but two at a time.

:popcorn:

Dhaze

Cipher
Bleed isn't really happening for me yet at arcane 23 with bleed 70-something on my weapon. I'll leave bleed on the back burner for now.

Have you found the Blood Tax ash of war? I used it to great effect with Rogier's Rapier during the later part of my first playthrough.

Dhaze

Cipher
♪ I get knocked down [off my horse] ♫
♪ But I get up again [no I don't] ♫
♪ You're never going to keep me down [yes you will; yes I wanted to use the flask to revive Torrent] ♫

I hope the guy at FromSoft who thought that prompt was a good idea gets Super AIDS. In a series that became known for its general no-hand-holding approach, it's baffling.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Bleed isn't really happening for me yet at arcane 23 with bleed 70-something on my weapon. I'll leave bleed on the back burner for now.

Have you found the Blood Tax ash of war? I used it to great effect with Rogier's Rapier during the later part of my first playthrough.

No I have not. That sounds really promising, I'm looking forward to it. So a question - It says on the wiki that blood tax can be used with any of the usual affinity upgrades, or the blood affinity. If I used it with keen in order to be able to still use Order's Blade what would the skill do? Would it trigger bleed or just become a regular flurry attack?

Dhaze

Cipher
I don't know if it has been changed in the last few patches, but when I used it I had to give it the blood affinity to trigger bleed. If it still works this way, they really should make that clear in the skill's description, because I was very confused upon first trying it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Someone did a graphics study on Elden Ring. That's a lot of stuff for rendering a single frame
http://www.mamoniem.com/behind-the-pretty-frames-elden-ring/

I think we need to be thankfull From decided to ditch the Dark Soul 3 approach to graphics.

I caught a video comparing the graphics from all four Souls games and Dark Souls 3 is seriously the worst looking one. Despite some bonked design issues even DS2 looks better IMHO.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Well. I give up. I had a good run but I can't beat the valiant gargoyle. I don't know how I beat him last time. I was lower level than I am now I think. I'll go back to a save where he's already dead. I've fought him dozens of times. I tried EVERYTHING. Fighting the two of those things is like trying to punch a tornado full of debris. Then add the poison. If I was playing this on PC I'd find a way to cheat. As it stands, FUCK THIS GAME!

I'm over level 100. I have 40 vigor. I can do big damage to him. But I die in seconds as soon as the second one spawns.

Dhaze

Cipher
Fighting the two of those things is like trying to punch a tornado full of debris.

That's the best possible description of this fight.

There's only a handful of encounters in that game during which I know I'll always summon a Spirit Ash, to get it over with more quickly no matter what build or how well I might be playing at the moment, and the twin gargoyles encounter numbers amongst them. I simply can't enjoy it.

They're huge, and when they're next to each other it can very hard to see what they're doing. Also their attacks keep overlapping. It feels more like a DPS check, to see how quickly you can dispatch the first one before the second shows up.

somerandomdude

Learned
Well. I give up. I had a good run but I can't beat the valiant gargoyle. I don't know how I beat him last time. I was lower level than I am now I think. I'll go back to a save where he's already dead. I've fought him dozens of times. I tried EVERYTHING. Fighting the two of those things is like trying to punch a tornado full of debris. Then add the poison. If I was playing this on PC I'd find a way to cheat. As it stands, FUCK THIS GAME!

I'm over level 100. I have 40 vigor. I can do big damage to him. But I die in seconds as soon as the second one spawns.

Out of all things, the Gargoyles? Not rotten vagina lady, or catholic beast mark 2, or the foreskin duo?

Are you using the spirit ashes? It'll give you enough time to at least kill one before the other J's you in the back.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I fucking won. With my rapier. Jesus Christ what a fight. I did it so many times. By the end it seemed easy. Summon the jelly. When it draws aggro use glintstone breath. Finish it with bloody slash. Stand by the legs of the second one with your shield up. Bloody slash when you hear a big boom. Move when there is poison and set up using flame cleanse me like an attack. I didn't just beat them, I kicked their asses.

Fighting one is easy. It's almost exactly the same as Radahn, who is the same as a giant bear. Be under them. Press your face into their dick. When they rear up for a big hit roll towards them. Looking up their low resistance was what let me kill the first one fast. Magic. So, glintstone breath.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom