Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I had a theory early on that there was no sun in the Elden Ring world, and the "day night" cycle was actually the result of the Erdtree losing its power, like a light flickering. Unfortunately there is a sun and I just never noticed it until about 150 hours into the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Took a large pause after Melania or what's her face and i'm now trying to finally finish this lol.

Killed this faggot who did nothing to reduce my hatred of giant bosses:

So i guess now i gotta burn down the tree and i'm near the end. To say i'm actually looking forward to get it over with is an understatement lmao.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So I did a quick respec to try a couple of INT weapons. Just wanted to see if I should spec into STR/INT in NG+ or just keep adding stats to what I'm doing. I tried the Ruins Greatsword and the Royal Greatsword. I was baffled by the Ruins. Maybe it was just the enemies I was testing it on but the WA seemed to do almost nothing. I had STR at 50 and INT of I think 30 and I was doing something like 180 damage with the AOE. Direct hits performed better, but I think I must have been doing something wrong. Needed more INT? Is it crap against armored opponents? Or is the WA not the big deal about this weapon and I was missing something? I've only heard good things said about the Ruins so I'm certain I was just missing something there. The weapon was +8.
Ruins Greatsword is not a STR/INT weapon. It's a pure STR weapon with an INT requirement. Not only it's a STR weapon, its scaling is probably the absolute best in that category. Going from STR 70 to 80, the weapon still gains 4 AP for each point you invest.

Its ideal build is STR 99/INT 16, not 50/30. Maybe a different distribution could give you slightly higher damage with the ash of war, but having STR > 97 gives you 1k AP and that's too funny to ignore it:

Untitled.png

I don't know what you're doing wrong with the ash of war, but even in the Haligtree it one-shots entire groups of regular enemies:

And even with "elite" ones, you just need to press L2 twice:

Which is extremely easy, considering that the attack sends everyone flying.

Vibalist

Arcane
Well here's a tip: Margit's shackle that you buy from Patches works on him. I've never actually used this item but it says on the wiki it will stun him 3 times before phase 2, but that he can't be stunned in phase 2.

No need anymore, just came back to him after a little break and killed him right away. Fuck me it seems there's yet another new area to explore awaiting. Sure, I was already getting afraid there won't be enough content in this game.

:deathclaw:

If you hate this so much, why do you keep playing?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
How sick do you think i am of this game that i rotted then sniped with poison arrows the elettro dragon in Crumbling Azula?

Dhaze

Cipher
It's actually going to happen: Lyric Suite will finish Elden Ring yet!

I'm glad I had the opportunity to set time aside to play it upon release, otherwise it would have taken me months to complete a playthrough, and I suspect I might have grown seriously tired of it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I would have probably finished it a long time ago if i didn't muck around multiplayer so much but as i explained i had to take advantage of fresh release and get that out of my system (speaking of that Godskin Duo is actually fun in co-op. Might have been ok solo as well if it wasn't for those fucking fireballs).

I still plan to do my SL1 run piecemeal. whenever that's gonna happen.

Bloodeyes

Arcane

Which is extremely easy, considering that the attack sends everyone flying.
That does indeed look awesome. Not sure why my performance with the thing was so lackluster. I maybe didn't give it enough time. I just respecced, smithed it to +8 and then attacked a few lightning knights. Yeah not only did they not go flying, they didn't take much damage at all. Is it possible to fuck up casting the ash? You say press L2 twice. I must have only been pressing once. I'll give it another go next time I'm messing with respecs and double tap.

So another question: You seem pretty familiar with most of the weapons. How would you stat for Death's Poker? I want to try a Necromancer on my next run who uses Death's Poker and the Prince of Death's staff. Both have multiple stats for their scaling. Is this even a feasible combination?

Don't worry, I'm not restarting again. I will finish this run. But I'm doing another one right after.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
So I found the subterranean shunning grounds for the first time. I just never saw that well before. I killed the Loathsome Dung Eater. First NPC I've just straight up murdered but I saw no reason at all to let him free. Like, give me some motivation at all to do this thing, just any reason at all will be fine. Nope. "Let me go and I'll kill and defile everything you hold dear." Sure, sounds like a great deal but here's my counter offer: "Giant hunt, jump attack, giant hunt, jump attack, giant hunt, jump attack." His sword looks pretty cool. Can't take an ash or a blade buff though so it's stuck with 55 bleed. Oh well, at least it looks cool. Might figure out some use for it. Maybe use it as a wand to cast that debuff?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wow, they are still doing the dragon disappearing act lmao. Isn't the game over? Where did he go now?

[EDIT] Whaaaat the fuck i just killed Alexander. I thought he was gonna surrender or something. Why is always sadness?

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That does indeed look awesome. Not sure why my performance with the thing was so lackluster. I maybe didn't give it enough time. I just respecced, smithed it to +8 and then attacked a few lightning knights. Yeah not only did they not go flying, they didn't take much damage at all. Is it possible to fuck up casting the ash? You say press L2 twice. I must have only been pressing once. I'll give it another go next time I'm messing with respecs and double tap.
By "pressing L2 twice", I only meant "using the ash of war two times". You don't need to double tap, every separate L2 activates it. Also, that was only to showcase the move, otherwise it's a very ineffective way of using the weapon: usually you can use L2, kill all the weaker enemies and send the elite one flying, and then charge R2 on the elite one while he gets up.

Are you sure you were clicking L2? If you satisfied the stat requirements and the damage was lackluster/enemies didn't fly, my only guess is you were using R2 instead.

So another question: You seem pretty familiar with most of the weapons. How would you stat for Death's Poker? I want to try a Necromancer on my next run who uses Death's Poker and the Prince of Death's staff. Both have multiple stats for their scaling. Is this even a feasible combination?
I'm familiar only with the weapons I've tried. Luckily, I've gone through an entire playthrough using Death's Poker, Sword of St Trina, Misericorde with Flame of the Redmanes, and a Pulley Crossbow with Sleepbone Bolts.
How fucking long have I been playing this game?

:despair:
Death's Poker is an amazing weapon, but its scaling is weird because the regular damage only scales with STR and DEX, while INT only influences the ash of war. How you should distribute your points depends on how you want to use it. If you want to wield it as your main weapon, then you probably want at least STR 30 and DEX 50 (while two-handing it), which will give you around 700 AP. Your regular damage won't be anything crazy, but the ash of war will make up for it: even at INT 11, each mode deals thousands of damage. Going from INT 11 to 40, you can expect roughly a 20% increase in your ash of war base damage: maximizing it can be worth it, but even if you mostly ignore it the ash of war will be amazing. One thing you could do is to just stick to INT 20-30 and then use the Intelligence-knot Crystal Tear and Magic-Shrouding Cracked Tear liberally for an insane damage boost (in my playthrough, 3 minutes have been enough for almost every single tough encounter in the game).

So I found the subterranean shunning grounds for the first time. I just never saw that well before. I killed the Loathsome Dung Eater. First NPC I've just straight up murdered but I saw no reason at all to let him free. Like, give me some motivation at all to do this thing, just any reason at all will be fine. Nope. "Let me go and I'll kill and defile everything you hold dear." Sure, sounds like a great deal but here's my counter offer: "Giant hunt, jump attack, giant hunt, jump attack, giant hunt, jump attack." His sword looks pretty cool. Can't take an ash or a blade buff though so it's stuck with 55 bleed. Oh well, at least it looks cool. Might figure out some use for it. Maybe use it as a wand to cast that debuff?
Why would you kill him? Look how cute he is!

One reason to keep him alive is that, once you finish his quest, if you give him Seluvis' Potion, you get the Dung Eater Puppet spirit summon, which is supposed to be quite useful since it should spam his weapon's debuff.

Last edited:

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Death's Poker is an amazing weapon, but its scaling is weird because the regular damage only scales with STR and DEX, while INT only influences the ash of war. How you should distribute your points depends on how you want to use it. If you want to wield it as your main weapon, then you probably want at least STR 30 and DEX 50 (while two-handing it), which will give you around 700 AP. Your regular damage won't be anything crazy, but the ash of war will make up for it: even at INT 11, each mode deals thousands of damage. Going from INT 11 to 40, you can expect roughly a 20% increase in your ash of war base damage: maximizing it can be worth it, but even if you mostly ignore it the ash of war will be amazing. One thing you could do is to just stick to INT 20-30 and then use the Intelligence-knot Crystal Tear and Magic-Shrouding Cracked Tear liberally for an insane damage boost (in my playthrough, 3 minutes have been enough for almost every single tough encounter in the game).

One reason to keep him alive is that, once you finish his quest, if you give him Seluvis' Potion, you get the Dung Eater Puppet spirit summon, which is supposed to be quite useful since it should spam his weapon's debuff.

I have not idea how to format replies properly on the new forum. Forgive the mess above. That's good info on Death's Poker, thanks. I definitely want to try it. I'll try to be really stingy with my other stats so I can be as high as I can on the physical while still pumping INT. I don't want to do an INT run without being able to cast the INT spells. I think low endurance and medium low mind will be a must for this one. So my shield won't block much and I won't wear armour but my weapon will wreck everything. Spells will be a powerful but extremely limited resource, reserved for the toughest opponents. Sounds fun.

The shunning grounds are kind of a bitch. I've been left and right, down the bottom and cleared the catacombs. Killed two giant lobsters with a little luck and a lot of cheese (Heavy reliance on blue flasks down here, rotten breath + dragonice on big things softens them up nicely). Every time just to end up back at the start with the blasted door still closed. I'm going to look up a guide tomorrow. I've had it for the day.

As far as Seluvius' quest goes, that fool dropped dead. Every NPC drops dead on me after a time. Blaidd attacked me for no reason other than to give me his gearset. The only questline I've ever finished is Ranni. With everyone else I talk to them a few times then they're dead and I get their gear. Roundtable hold is basically empty. The cleric left, Roger died, D got murdered by the hugging lady who is now sleeping in the depths and I killed dung eater.

I just expediated the process with Dung Eater. I'll need to use a walkthrough for quests in NG+. Either they're all meant to die or I've fucked this up royally lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom