Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Wow, I was at Consecrated Snowfield when I was level 98 I believe. I guess I might've missed a bit of content.
Maybe, but a lot of those levels come from grinding the Zamor Ruins. I was in my 140s when I got there and hadn't done much grinding. Then I decided I wanted to have quite a few stats softcapped for this character so I got to grinding in between adventures. Plus I've been wearing the Golden Scarab for almost the entire game. I don't PVP so I can go to as high a level as I like.

Aiming to finish this build up as a super strong physical fighter this playthrough, then develop him into a hybrid with one of the mental stats next playthrough without a respec, just having lots of levels in both. He's going to end up with 38 FTH, 37 INT and combo both with arcane using the albinauric staff and dragon communion seal. And he's going to retain his 80 STR. I'm over making new characters. There's no level cap beyond 99 in all stats so I can make one that does everything well. Except DEX I guess. CBA giving him any DEX.

Lambach

Arcane
Wow, I was at Consecrated Snowfield when I was level 98 I believe.

Way too low. I was roughly at that level when I was just starting with Leyndell. Sounds like you skipped a whole lot of stuff. Consecrated Snowfield is one mean motherfucker of an area, I would most certainly not recommend going there below level 120-ish at the very least, with weapons at 20+/8+ as the minimum.

Way too low. I was roughly at that level when I was just starting with Leyndell. Sounds like you skipped a whole lot of stuff. Consecrated Snowfield is one mean motherfucker of an area, I would most certainly not recommend going there below level 120-ish at the very least, with weapons at 20+/8+ as the minimum.

Heh I went through much of Leyndell when I was back at lv 70+. I am 113 already, gained 10 levels just over last hour or so from getting summoned for Mohg. Holy shit didn't expect him to be dropping so many runes. I might grind some more levels here. I'm sure Rune Arcs will come in handy for bosses to come after Mohg too. My Rivers of Blood is already at +10 and my previous, Longsword, was at +23 before switching.

ferratilis

Magister
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/elden-ri...-new-game-in-the-final-stages-of-development/

Elden Ring studio FromSoftware has a new game in the 'final stages' of development​

By Andy Chalk published about 10 hours ago
Elden Ring director Hidetaka Miyazaki is also apparently working on something entirely new.
Maybe Armored Core? It's crazy how this studio keeps pumping out great games, while some Western studios with much bigger budgets and staff can't come up with shit, for example all studios currently owned by Microsoft.

Wunderbar

Arcane
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/elden-ri...-new-game-in-the-final-stages-of-development/

Elden Ring studio FromSoftware has a new game in the 'final stages' of development​

By Andy Chalk published about 10 hours ago
Elden Ring director Hidetaka Miyazaki is also apparently working on something entirely new.
Maybe Armored Core? It's crazy how this studio keeps pumping out great games, while some Western studios with much bigger budgets and staff can't come up with shit, for example all studios currently owned by Microsoft.
Deracine 2

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Well I went back to the Farum Azula and fought the infamous Godskin Duo. They surprised me. I was at half health and looked around, had time to think "I recognize this room from the videos I've seen..." then the music starts playing. Cue mad buffing and potion gulping... and shortly thereafter they were dead. It was a very easy fight. Some of that comes down to my level. I know I get some DR from being high level, but I actually didn't get hit much because I kept cutting them down so quickly. I'm just doing amazing damage.

I got my two regular buffs on before they were on me (Blessing's boon and Golden Vow) and was able to RKR before most of my attacks. I wasn't looking at the numbers because I was shitting myself, but the damage was about 2.5 - 3 inches of health bar per RKR 2h jump attack.

Raptor's black feathers, claw talisman and RKR. I wasn't sure if I would be able to handle not having a shield in my hand when I started this. I doubted if I could stand not wearing heavy chest armour. I thought buffing before every hit would be too hard. I've now almost jump attacked my way through the game. 2 pieces of bull goats help with low poise, dragoncrest shield talisman helps with DR, and the playstyle remains viable. I've tried switching back to my old favorite ashes, Lion's Claw and Giant Hunt. I just get sad looking at the low damage numbers. Plus it's better staying in control for the whole move. It's like driving a manual car.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
So close to being finished. I've been thinking about NG+ for most of the playthrough. Pretty much viewing this playthrough as a foundation for it. But I think I don't want to do it with this character. I don't think I want to progress him into anything new. His build is finished and it is awesome. I don't want to respec him either. I like him too much and it just feels wrong to erase all that hard won organic progression. He became what he is over the course of his journey. A new build out of the box could never be as enjoyable. I'm going to finish his journey, take him to Jarburg to retire then start a new character.

I want to try DEX/INT. Frost buildup melee/caster. I've planned a build to level 140 with enough STR to meet prereqs for most of the DEX weapons I'm interested in. I'm going to ban myself from using the Golden Scarab next time so I have something left to do in NG+ if I still have another playthrough in me after that. I actually doubt I will though. This is a long game and I'm starting a new degree soon. Even if I don't burn out on it I won't have time for games like this for much longer.

Alrik

Educated
So close to being finished. I've been thinking about NG+ for most of the playthrough. Pretty much viewing this playthrough as a foundation for it. But I think I don't want to do it with this character. I don't think I want to progress him into anything new. His build is finished and it is awesome. I don't want to respec him either. I like him too much and it just feels wrong to erase all that hard won organic progression. He became what he is over the course of his journey. A new build out of the box could never be as enjoyable. I'm going to finish his journey, take him to Jarburg to retire then start a new character.

I want to try DEX/INT. Frost buildup melee/caster. I've planned a build to level 140 with enough STR to meet prereqs for most of the DEX weapons I'm interested in. I'm going to ban myself from using the Golden Scarab next time so I have something left to do in NG+ if I still have another playthrough in me after that. I actually doubt I will though. This is a long game and I'm starting a new degree soon. Even if I don't burn out on it I won't have time for games like this for much longer.
NG+ has always had zero appeal to me as there is no progression, you already have all the tools and just go through the motions. Much more enjoyable to start a new character.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
NG+ has always had zero appeal to me as there is no progression, you already have all the tools and just go through the motions. Much more enjoyable to start a new character.
Unless we're talking about DS2, the only reason I see to prefer NG+ over a new character is to try all those cool endgame weapons these games throw at you in the last couple of hours. But even then, I'd rather start with a fresh character and just spawn those weapons with Cheat Engine.

Nathir

Liturgist
Well, finished the flame of frenzy playthrough and got all achievements. I didn't explore the map or did side dungeons, just beelined through the game. It's actually really short if you care only about completing it. Godrick > Renalla > Morgot > Fire giant > Farum Azula > Burnt capital. I did it in 25hrs, and it could be much shorter than that if you really wanted it to be. 2 hours were spent on Morgott, a boss I never had to learn because he has such low hp for the point you encounter him at (if you do everything else before Leyndell). Very different story when you fight him at lvl 60 with a pike +12. Really had to abuse the spectral lance art and throw javelins at him for maximum stagger. I can't remember the last time I played a game like this for months on end. GOTY 10/10, when's DLC?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wouldn't the DLC be side content? Pretend you already skipped it and move on to NG+

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I actually don't think I can beat Dragonlord Placidusax. I used the flamedrake and boltdrake talismans +2. I used the opaline hardtear. I fully upgraded the fingerprint shield so it would have the best lighning damage negation possible, seeing as I can't seem to avoid his attacks. I used boiled crab, lighningproof dried liver a rune arc with Morgott's great rune. I summoned black knife tiche. I cast golden lighting fortification, flame protect me and golden vow. I got him to just below half health then got taken out in two attacks. The first time I got him to a bit below a quarter health just using my normal gear but with the damage I was doing to him vs what he was doing to me there was no way I could win. I was completely out of flasks. It was a complete fluke I even got that far.

I don't want to skip him. Is there any realistic advice on how I can do better in this fight? I'm kind of at a loss here. I spent ages prepping for the second go and got beaten so much faster than the first.

Edit: I got him. It took 6 attempts but I figured him out. I procced rotten breath then attacked his tail with 2h jump attacks and stacked damage buffs instead of that DR crap the wiki suggested. He died before he even got to try those stupid claws. Never even entered the teleporting or flying phases.

Edit 2: Maliketh's Black Blade is dope. I've taken a break from jump attacks to go sword and board for a bit. Black blade and fingerprint shield. Could this be the somber weapon that finally wins me over and sends the Guts into retirement? Probably not, but I do like it.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Ehh per usuall idiots try to test poise and then claim something which is not true which later on will be used as "proof" for anything some other idiot says.

ER seems to use hybrid poise system. So it is not exactly like DS3 where poise was applied to attack instead of all the time passive buff. In this case you have passive buff which is small when you just stand and then it gets added to attack which allows you to go through those enemies attacks with your own and this also depends on your weapon type. So with heavy armor and heavy weapon you get ton of real poise to get through those attacks.

Then there is damage mitigation. Unlike DS3 in ER heavy armor does soak a lot of damage.

Yosharian

Arcane
What the fuck are you talking about.

I look forward to seeing your video where you explain exactly where Youwy got it wrong

Oh wait you won't do that, you're just talking out of your fucking ass.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYR1UyYJYHQ

1. you need at least 60 poise to see any good results - most armor sets in the game don't get close to this
  2. poise kinda sucks against many tough enemies, even with 100+ poise you get nothing, and these are the enemies you really want poise to be working against
  3. rats have a basic jumping attack that isn't blocked by even 100 poise

People bitching against delayed attacks, roll catchers and endless combos are barking off the wrong tree.

What's really obnoxious is the arbitrary and inconsistent way both poise and hyberarmor works. This idea that you either lose or gain absolute immobility in the face of incoming attacks just flies in the faces of all logic. If i'm wearing granite over my whole body i should be pretty much unmovable no matter what, it doesn't matter if i'm swinging or what i'm swinging. Elden Ring is an improvement over DS3 but the idea you are just never sure if or when some of your stats are actually doing anything is just stupid.

Perkel

Arcane
What the fuck are you talking about.

I look forward to seeing your video where you explain exactly where Youwy got it wrong

Oh wait you won't do that, you're just talking out of your fucking ass.

He tested poise without doing any fucking attack. It is like testing your car crash resistance by kicking your car in door instead of you know. Crashing.

Yosharian

Arcane
Poise is a defensive stat, if most enemies ignore it then you are wasting your weight allocation (and by extension, your investment in stam)

Ppl testing poise against enemies you meet in the first ten minutes of the fucking game is stupid as fuck, Youwy actually tested it against tough enemies and it's borderline useless

Damage mitigation is another matter but in most cases tough fights are not won by mitigating damage through armour

By far the best strategy is to avoid getting hit in the first place or to block hits using shields, if you are regularly taking damage from non-boss enemies then fine but at least get 55+ poise or its completely fucking useless

As for bosses, they pretty much won't give a fuck about your poise, damage mitigation is somewhat of a factor versus bosses but the equip load investment for some of these armour sets is so insane that you're better off using high vigor to soak damage from your mistakes than high armor (via high stam)

Not to mention that a lot of damage mitigation strategies versus bosses barely rely on high armor at all, armor is just one small piece of the puzzle, the other pieces being consumables, spells, etc, and by lowering your armor you are still able to create a highly effective damage mitigation strategy because return on investment with heavier armor pieces is absolute shit, the most valued items are stuff like crab meat giving you +20% mitigation etc

Last edited:

Bloodeyes

Arcane

1. you need at least 60 poise to see any good results - most armor sets in the game don't get close to this
  2. poise kinda sucks against many tough enemies, even with 100+ poise you get nothing, and these are the enemies you really want poise to be working against

People bitching against delayed attacks, roll catchers and endless combos are barking off the wrong tree.

What's really obnoxious is the arbitrary and inconsistent way both poise and hyberarmor works. This idea that you either lose or gain absolute immobility in the face of incoming attacks just flies in the faces of all logic. If i'm wearing granite over my whole body i should be pretty much unmovable no matter what, it doesn't matter if i'm swinging or what i'm swinging. Elden Ring is an improvement over DS3 but the idea you are just never sure if or when some of your stats are actually doing anything is just stupid.

I believe that stats were intentionally made to be inscrutable. Look at the so-called breakpoints people refer to then look at a graph of actual derived stat gains for a given base statistic. Then realize that this differs between weapons, even weapons with the same letter grade in scaling. You'll hear the claim that 50 poise is the magic number to tank a light weapon, 100 for a medium but the truth is never that simple with this game's mechanics. The truth is never consistent and there are no discernable rules, no guidelines to be found except bigger numbers are better. It's impossible to understand what your stats will do without the use of reference tables and external software.

Having played a light character who wore only a robe I can say I feel a big difference between having any amount of poise and none. Can I feel the difference between poise in the high 40s and the high 60s when I put the bull goat's talisman on? Maybe. Sometimes I think so, sometimes not.

I realize at this point that people far smarter than me have developed this character system to be intentionally impossible to optimize. Whatever. Bigger numbers are better. Poise is a number. Stat breakpoints aren't real, except for things like HP and endurance, and even then the progression has no logical pattern but a bit of hand waving is necessary to not go insane trying to just make a character. 50 poise is a good goal and definitely feels different in many circumstances to 10 poise. 100 poise is better than 50 poise and is an advantage in a fight. But you can't rely on it. Sometimes you'll stagger anyway. Who the fuck knows why? I think part of it is taking a hit previously means you have lingering poise damage, but that's just a wild guess.

Ravielsk

Magister

The problem is that Poise was fucked shortly before release. The network test featured poise working as it did in DS1(or at least pretty much) and that was only a couple of months before release. So what most likely happened is that they reworked the system or just severely nerfed poise stats on everything but did not change anything about the enemies or the games internal logic. From has been doing this since DS1 where they have a functioning system but then at the last minute overhaul it to resolve a minor problem and just leave like that because the "git gud" mentality covers up for their shitty decisions.

Yosharian

Arcane

I believe that stats were intentionally made to be inscrutable. Look at the so-called breakpoints people refer to then look at a graph of actual derived stat gains for a given base statistic. Then realize that this differs between weapons, even weapons with the same letter grade in scaling. You'll hear the claim that 50 poise is the magic number to tank a light weapon, 100 for a medium but the truth is never that simple with this game's mechanics. The truth is never consistent and there are no discernable rules, no guidelines to be found except bigger numbers are better. It's impossible to understand what your stats will do without the use of reference tables and external software.

Having played a light character who wore only a robe I can say I feel a big difference between having any amount of poise and none. Can I feel the difference between poise in the high 40s and the high 60s when I put the bull goat's talisman on? Maybe. Sometimes I think so, sometimes not.

I realize at this point that people far smarter than me have developed this character system to be intentionally impossible to optimize. Whatever. Bigger numbers are better. Poise is a number. Stat breakpoints aren't real, except for things like HP and endurance, and even then the progression has no logical pattern but a bit of hand waving is necessary to not go insane trying to just make a character. 50 poise is a good goal and definitely feels different in many circumstances to 10 poise. 100 poise is better than 50 poise and is an advantage in a fight. But you can't rely on it. Sometimes you'll stagger anyway. Who the fuck knows why? I think part of it is taking a hit previously means you have lingering poise damage, but that's just a wild guess.

This guy tested it scientifically in a video and showed that below 55 poise does nothing, but because you *feel* like it made a difference, that's all that matters!

Amazing

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This guy tested it scientifically in a video and showed that below 55 poise does nothing, but because you *feel* like it made a difference, that's all that matters!

Amazing

Don't you have an Excel sheet of theorycraft calling out to you somewhere? Maybe you could plug your blog page some more so people will look at your King content or something?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom