Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Take the @Yosharian approved method and summon two guys to do it for you. The sky's the limit!
I already killed her using night comet because she doesn't read your input on night spells. So yeah. Fuck that trash boss.

I think she's actually fun to fight "legit" but only if you're super good or have enough time to spare to screw around dying.

Either way, any strategy you might choose is better than relying on others to carry you.

Yosharian

Arcane
Nothing screams "VIRGIN" more than insulting others for playing a game the way it was designed to be played.

"You summoned other players to defeat a boss cooperatively?! HAH LOSER!"

:kingcomrade:

cruel

Cipher
Thanks for the tips. It seems that the boss is far from 'fair and balanced' and most people gave up on trying to do her without any summons or other help, good to know. Why this guy makes it look so easy though? :(

mediocrepoet

Patron
Thanks for the tips. It seems that the boss is far from 'fair and balanced' and most people gave up on trying to do her without any summons or other help, good to know. Why this guy makes it look so easy though? :(

Some people learned her patterns super hard, like that guy (I assume, didn't watch), Let Me Solo Her, ONGBAL, etc.

I mean, NJClaw beat her without summons and stuff at level 1. :salute:

That... is not the typical experience though. :lol:

Child of Malkav

Erudite

Fair and balanced. Fucking lol, it's been proven she actually cheats. Something about stagger and hyperamor. Besides that an attack like WFD should not exist in this game but it does because whoever designed this trash didn't play the game.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I really like this guy's videos. I never noticed Placidusax's neck stumps. Too busy trying not to die when I see him. It'd be cool if there was a memory cutscene showing him at full power with all five heads doing the death lasers or something. I wouldn't want to fight it unless it was some gimmick fight to avoid being vapourized by five beams instead of only two, but it'd be cool to see in a sort of Tiamat dragon god thing anyway.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I really like this guy's videos. I never noticed Placidusax's neck stumps. Too busy trying not to die when I see him. It'd be cool if there was a memory cutscene showing him at full power with all five heads doing the death lasers or something. I wouldn't want to fight it unless it was some gimmick fight to avoid being vapourized by five beams instead of only two, but it'd be cool to see in a sort of Tiamat dragon god thing anyway.

I like Placidusax fight, if only for the reasons that it reminds me of the Kaileena and Griffin fights in Prince of Persia Warrior Within. The teleportation attacks and especially the lightning cloud attack are very reminiscent of those 2 bosses.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've finally reached Malenia. I knew what to expect, based on everyone complaining about her, but I still need to write this: WTF. Her speed is one thing, heal on each hit is another, but healing on a 100% blocked by shield attack? Seriously? What's the logic of that? This is basically a big 'F#@% you' to all the large weapon + shield users. And here I was, happy with my 76 stability Golden Greatshield and even being able to wield Fingerprint Shield and keep medium roll. The few tries I had with her so far were so bad, it actually makes me wonder if she is doable with a slow weapon at all. I played the whole game with zero summons (NPC/ players / ashes included) and had zero issues so far - I would prefer to keep it this way; but on the other hand, I'm not that motivated to spend 3h+ memorizing her attack patterns to be honest. While true Mohg was demanding, but fair, she is crossing the line of motivation vs tedium for me.
What's the good setup to fight her on fair terms (if it's even possible, lol)? I'm level 161, 88 STR / 50 VGR / 55 END, heavy armor with around 50% physical resist and Large Club +25. Talismans: great jar, green turtle, favor +1, greatshield. Very few bosses were a problem so far, I would consider the game pretty easy actually. Power stance double greatswords? Smaller swords? Rapier for poking? Respec to dex build only for this single fight? I would prefer not to cheese her, if possible, but my patience is limited :)
If you're willing to use an ash summons, either Tiche or the Mimic Tear will make the fight far easier. You can drop the shield for dual-wielding greatswords (among various other weapon options), while wearing armor with enough poise (~60?) not to be staggered by her attacks. Also note that the second phase is much slower, which allows for certain tactics not viable in the first phase.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Another shardbearer down. RIP Mogh. I was pretty horrible at avoiding his attacks but I knew he was fairly tough so changed my talismans, gear, physick and body buff to prioritize having high HP and robustness. I also put staunching boluses in my triangle menu and used a rune arc with Morgott's great rune.

Being able to take huge chunks from an enemy health with a single attack helps a lot. It was kind of tricky to jump attack him because he kept stabbing me out of the air but I did so much damage when I did land I was able to get the W just by chugging a red whenever I got hit. I only had 1 red left when he went down but it was enough. First try. My friend said this place was harder than the Azula so I came here after but I found it easier by far. I hated the Azula. I guess different builds struggle with different things.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I'm level 161, 88 STR / 50 VGR / 55 END, heavy armor with around 50% physical resist and Large Club +25. Talismans: great jar, green turtle, favor +1, greatshield.
Very based build. I have 50 endurance and it's great. I can block the pecking combos of the giant blood birds with my weapon, then stance break them with a guard counter. Hardly ever get guard broken. Lots of build guides I've seen have END as a borderline dump stat but it's such a great one to raise in terms of felt difference. Good luck against Malenia. Can't help with strategy as I haven't fought her yet. Soon I will know your pain. I'll absolutely be using every cheesy tactic I can think of though.

A commenter on her wiki page beat her in a fair 1v1... after over 200 attempts spread out over a couple weeks. I'm really into gaming but I could never invest that much into a single fight. It's not worth it.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I actually can't wait to get this run over and start another. Nobody has said this to me, but I feel like my achievements in this run have been tainted by my use of the Golden Scarab, late game grinding and the use of certain summons.

I haven't come close to breaking the difficulty of the game, I haven't made it boring and unfun by being too powerful. Not even close. But souls games aren't really meant to be fun are they? They're meant to be punishing. Playing a souls game is meant to be about the sense of accomplishment of having overcome adversity with skill and grit. I don't feel like I've done that. I didn't even do it with a clever build in the end. Well I think my build is great but I'll never really know that because any build can be great if you don't limit how many levels you can have. There really should be a level cap at 160 or thereabouts. Even 165.

I'm going to finish this run, but honestly it doesn't feel like it means much any more. I want to do it again. Properly. Not SL1 or banning all summons or anything, just not using the things that I consider too OP. This means:

- No grinding at all. Not even for runes to buy stuff. It's too slippery a slope and before I know it I'll be level 190 again. Yes. I'm level 190. It happened very fast. I could kill the guys in Zamor Ruins in a couple minutes and get over 48k runes. It was too tempting. Just two jump attacks one one of them and 6k runes in my pocket. So easy.
- No golden scarab. Don't even go in that cave. +20% runes from kills is fucking ridiculous.
- No banished knight Engval. Don't even get him. He's not the strongest summon but he's too strong for when you get him in the game. Oleg is stronger but you get him way later, when having a summon like that isn't so game breaking.
- No mimic tear. You get him way too early for how powerful he is. Don't even get him. He never really becomes balanced. Way too much HP and damage.
- No Black Knife Tiche. WTF is with this one? She actually kills bosses for you in many instances.

As far as using other spirit summons I think that's fine. They're clearly an intended part of core gameplay. The more balanced ones help out in phase 1 then die. I really wish I'd stuck to this. I didn't grind or use summons other than the Jellyfish for most of the 180 odd hours of my playthrough. Then right at the end I fucked everything up and I have to do it all again for it to count. I'll still finish this one or NJClaw will probably shoot me. But I'm doing it again.

mediocrepoet

Patron

mediocrepoet

Patron
I actually can't wait to get this run over and start another. Nobody has said this to me, but I feel like my achievements in this run have been tainted by my use of the Golden Scarab, late game grinding and the use of certain summons.

I haven't come close to breaking the difficulty of the game, I haven't made it boring and unfun by being too powerful. Not even close. But souls games aren't really meant to be fun are they? They're meant to be punishing. Playing a souls game is meant to be about the sense of accomplishment of having overcome adversity with skill and grit. I don't feel like I've done that. I didn't even do it with a clever build in the end. Well I think my build is great but I'll never really know that because any build can be great if you don't limit how many levels you can have. There really should be a level cap at 160 or thereabouts. Even 165.

I'm not sure if you're serious, but then, I'm also not sure why you'd post something this weird unless it's some sort of call for help due to extreme brainworms. At any rate, assuming you're at least somewhat serious:
  1. Yes, Souls games as games are popular because they're not fun. The point of a game is to not be fun.
    1. Are you sure you're in the right hobby?
  2. You are WAY overlevelled from pretty much everything I've seen, but you're playing completely single player so no one cares except you.
    1. Ergo, if you don't actually care and are having fun, stop worrying about it, you're going to give yourself another ulcer.
  3. As usual, you're overthinking this to an insane degree and are so neurotic, you're like a female Woody Allen.
  4. Just finish the goddamned game for Christ sake.
    1. Then do a challenge run if you want where you can impose whatever limitations you feel like on a new character.
    2. Or don't. It's a game, no one's going to die or care if you don't play it again or don't play it in a certain way.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I guess FS doesn't think they've reached enough of the mainstream audience yet.
I can imagine Miyazaki going on the Internet and being like:

"Wait... numbers don't add up... why aren't they buying my game? Maybe they haven't heard of it..."

Untitled.png

SumDrunkGuy

I'm waiting for DLC before I come back, assuming there will be any. I heard cancer Miyazaki wants to go in a different direction from what From Software is known for. I always knew he was a cancer and I've said as much on here numerous times. Ever since Dark Souls 2 he's been trying to ruin everything and now he's become a faggy diva just like Kojima. I pray every day that he leaves the company.

SumDrunkGuy

I heard cancer Miyazaki wants to go in a different direction from what From Software is known for.
You mean like with Demon's Souls?
I don't trust the guy. I worship the games he's made but lost a lot of respect for him after the blatant disrespect he showed towards Dark Souls 2 by basically ignoring all the great and wonderful things it introduced to the franchise with Dark Souls 3. He's spiteful towards it because it was better than his game so he went out of his way to make an inferior sequel.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I'm waiting for DLC before I come back, assuming there will be any. I heard cancer Miyazaki wants to go in a different direction from what From Software is known for. I always knew he was a cancer and I've said as much on here numerous times.
He means on Armored Core. I hope they won't make a generic scifi with it but rather proper Cyberpunk action RPG.

Nathir

Liturgist
I heard cancer Miyazaki wants to go in a different direction from what From Software is known for.
I don't trust the guy. I worship the games he's made but lost a lot of respect for him after the blatant disrespect he showed towards Dark Souls 2 by basically ignoring all the great and wonderful things it introduced to the franchise with Dark Souls 3. He's spiteful towards it because it was better than his game so he went out of his way to make an inferior sequel.

Which things were ignored?

SumDrunkGuy

Which things were ignored?
Everything. He acts as though Dark Souls 2 isn't even cannon. I don't remember a single reference to 2 in 3 except I think maybe one of it's DLC's has Harvest Valley in it. That was it. And he left out powerstance in favor of the shitty weapon skill thing. Completely unforgivable. Everything in 3 was dumbed down compared to 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom