Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Silva

Arcane
I think ER is the "Deus Ex" of this series. Lot's of options, not all of them as well tuned as something that focuses on only one thing like Thief (insert the From game you think is approriate for this analogy).
Comparing Elden Ring with Deus Ex is offensive. DX is a masterpiece, and would be better compared to Dark Souls, with its multiple but cohesive playstyles. Elden Ring is just a mess.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I got the impression that I would have much easier time as a mage in this though. Especially with these fucking bosses that jump around all over the fucking place.
Straight int builds fluctuate from almost cheat-like ease to massive difficulty spikes with not a whole lot in between. There is generally some sorcery that hard counters a given enemy type, though not universally. The most interesting boss fights are hyper-aggressive enemies when not using ashes where figuring out spacing and timing can be quite rewarding. Anything that stays at a distance or stands still at all just becomes fodder.

I think ER is the "Deus Ex" of this series. Lot's of options, not all of them as well tuned as something that focuses on only one thing like Thief (insert the From game you think is approriate for this analogy).
Sekiro is probably the most like thief. It heavily encourages a single playstyle (very minor stealth, deflections, and timing), has virtually no builds, but is a tightly refined experience that maximises the available gameplay within that predefined playstyle. It's obviously not a Stealth-focused game like thief, though, nor is it an immersive sim.

Turn_BASED

Educated
Not sure if arcane build is viable as well, but probably it is, seeing all the talks about bleed being OP. Or maybe do it as part of the dex build? Hmm.
At the end of my run my char was lv 155 60 ARC 50 VGR 40 END 20 DEX 16 STR 25 MND 14 FTH with Rivers of Blood and Brass Shield. Only last two points were put in DEX. Really liked the weapon art on ROB. Even made killing dragons without horse much more tolerable. I would just lock on to their head and stand below it waiting for it to get lower then use WA.

I have this tradition of doing every first run of new Souls game with sword and shield dude. I got the impression that I would have much easier time as a mage in this though. Especially with these fucking bosses that jump around all over the fucking place.
Earlier you had the humility to admit you “skipped” Maliketh by using mimic tear but you never mentioned you were rocking Rivers of Blood. Nigga you skipped the rest of the game after you picked that bad boy up.

Got too happy about killing Radagon on first try, should've known it wouldn't be that easy.. :negative:
I did this with Sekiro

FINALLY beat the fucking Bored Ape boss after like 40 tries, such an annoying fight (the worst fight in the game IMO), and it felt good to finally get the "Shinobi Execution" screen.

I was like FUCK YES!!!!! put my controller down, jumped out of my chair and started dancing

Then he got back up and oneshot me

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
World feels empty. Optional dungeons and bosses feel like a waste of time, although they aren't exactly optional since enemies in the open world don't give you much runes (or items, for that matter). Mounted combat is pretty barebones - usually just baiting an enemy attack before getting a few hits off. Upgrading weapons is taking a surprisingly long time - can't find the right smithing stones even though I have a few of superior levels already. Legacy dungeons like Stormveil are fantastic but it takes ages to reach them. Enemies have very long attack patterns which you simply have to sit out and wait for them to complete. Sank 30 hours into the game and feel like I'm about a quarter of the way through - and it already feels a chore to play. Very disappointed tbh.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Optional dungeons and bosses feel like a waste of time, although they aren't exactly optional since enemies in the open world don't give you much runes
Runes gain is so skewed that optional content is basically uninfluential. You can skip 100% of the side content and still end up reaching level 180+ by the end (I'm not throwing numbers around: I reached level 185 in a playthrough where I entered 5 side dungeons in total). Similarly, killing enemies in the open world for their runes is almost never worth it: you just need to progress throughout the game and whenever you're slightly underleveled you'll suddenly get what feels like a huge amount of runes. Item rewards are still gated behind mindless copy-pasted content, though. And if you don't want to go through it the only solution is to check the wiki to know which dungeons to clear, which is p. sad.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i was hit with a massive burn out coming from nowhere and i suddely lost all interest in the game.

Ho well i've done Limegrave and Weeping Pennisula entirely and i'm now parked in front of Margit. I'll go play something else then hit Stormveil as soon as i feel like it again.

Should have known that after three months it wasn't a good idea to start another run lmao.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So i was hit with a massive burn out coming from nowhere and i suddely lost all interest in the game.

Ho well i've done Limegrave and Weeping Pennisula entirely and i'm now parked in front of Margit. I'll go play something else then hit Stormveil as soon as i feel like it again.

Should have known that after three months it wasn't a good idea to start another run lmao.

Don't worry. Next time you will park in front of Foreskin Duo for much longer time.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New expansion/DLC was supposedly leaked.
1657631395894.png

Perkel

Arcane
Q3 2023 ? They need whole year for a DLC ? For comparison DLC for DS3 took like 5 months. Game was release march and first DLC arrived october.

Q3 2023 is actually more than a year. ER came in Q1 2022. So almost 1,5 years after release.
Also "barbarians of the badlands" doesn't sound like something Muhyazaki would approve.
My opinion. Fake as shit unless this DLC is like super huge and From changed how they make expansions.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I expect each DLC to be comprised of an area the size of Limgrave with a legacy dungeon the size of Haligtree or Farum Azula in it. That's why they're taking so long. As for the title? IDK. Artorias of the Abyss, Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Iron King, Crown of the Ivory King, Ashes of Ariandel, Ringed City, The Old Hunters........Barbarians of the Badlands? Doesn't sound so alien all of a sudden.

I paid full price for base game, I'm certainly not doing that for DLC. It seems ridiculous to me that anyone would even think this game needs a fucking DLC, one 130 hours playthrough where I still missed a bunch of stuff was almost enough to make me sick of it.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Well, this game seems that it will have DLC for certain. Open world, commercially successful and all that. Reasonable to expect DLCs to be pretty big, legacy dungeon big.

DemonKing

Arcane
I suspect given the size of Elden Ring any DLC will probably be suitably epic. Also it makes sense to release something reasonably substantial to tide fans over until the next mainline soulsborne release (either EL2 or another From property).

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I took a break from the game for a while then went back and killed Gideon, Radagon and the glowing dude. I just plowed through them without even needing to avoid their attacks much. Just overcame them with HP and damage. Got to the Elden Beast and was doing the same then out of nowhere it rained down on my head and I was dead. Not sure if I was at full health but I was close. 50 vigor, Morgott's great rune, Crimson Amber +1 and the HP boost physick. Stone cold dead in one attack. I guess it is the final boss after all. Bastard of a thing, but it doesn't seem to have an impossible amount of health. I take pretty massive chunks out of it so I'll get it next time I bother with that save file.

I'm more interested in my other run I'm trying out. A pure STR broadsword build with casting limited only to cure poison and such because fuck farming for crafting materials. No plans to finish it or anything, it's more just skill development seeing as I want to keep playing souls games after this and I don't particularly want to keep grinding and cheesing my way through them. So far I've had some mixed experiences. I beat Margit SL1 with a +1 broadsword. That was dope. I wish I could say I got it after only a couple tries but it took many, many attempts.

I levelled up a bit from that and I've gone around killing bosses pretty easily, including stuff I've only ever cheesed with spells like the hopping stone cats. I totally failed at beating the bell bearing hunter. I ended up getting so mad I broke my own rules and killed him with flame sling. I regret that, but I guess I can find another one later and try again.

I'm currently stuck on the crucible knight in the Evergaol. The only way I've ever beat crucibles is with cheese. Things like scarlet rot, spamming giant hunt and chugging reds etc. This time I'm trying to beat him legit but holy crap I've hit a wall. I even taught myself to parry with a small shield, something I never thought I would be able to pull off in this game. But I can parry him now on at least 50% of his attacks that even can be parried. Still, my build doesn't exactly get the most out of ripostes. The broadsword isn't a crit machine. So I've got to parry that mother fucker a lot of times and not all of his attacks can be parried.

Where I'm at skill wise my reaction times aren't good enough to identify an attack, choose the appropriate response and act. I respond to movement. If an enemy does a thing I roll, block or parry. Unless the thing involves glowy shit, then I know to roll. I've given up for the night. I'll bash at that Evergaol a few more times next time, but I'm not sure I can actually win so I may just have to move on from that one. I still think the honest run is valuable. I only started it today and I've already gained more skill than in playthroughs that were 150+ hours long. Not something I'd want to subject myself to for extended periods of time though. Little and often. If I can eventually get good there's a whole genre of games for me to enjoy and PVP in this game too.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
If I can eventually get good there's a whole genre of games for me to enjoy and PVP in this game too.
From here, you can go almost anywhere. Just remember that each game does many things a little differently, so you can't expect to play all of them in the same exact way (or better: you can do that, but you'll probably have an awful time with some of them).

The halal thing to do is to play them in chronological order, so the first thing you should do is to download a PS3 emulator and Demon's Souls. You won't have the same amount of options and freedom in building your character, but with your terminal stage of restartitis this won't necessarily be a bad thing.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
If I can eventually get good there's a whole genre of games for me to enjoy and PVP in this game too.
From here, you can go almost anywhere. Just remember that each game does many things a little differently, so you can't expect to play all of them in the same exact way (or better: you can do that, but you'll probably have an awful time with some of them).

The halal thing to do is to play them in chronological order, so the first thing you should do is to download a PS3 emulator and Demon's Souls. You won't have the same amount of options and freedom in building your character, but with your terminal stage of restartitis this won't necessarily be a bad thing.

I've got a PS3 in a drawer. I was going to get the remake though. I've seen footage and it looks good. Any reason to prefer the original other than education?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I've got a PS3 in a drawer. I was going to get the remake though. I've seen footage and it looks good. Any reason to prefer the original other than education?
Some people prefer some of the art direction and musical scoring and stuff. If none of that bothers you, the remake is true to the original with the exception of an extra set of secret collectibles afaik. I haven't played the remake myself, but I was following it for the brief period I was considering trying to get a PS5.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I know nothing about the Remake since I don't have a PS5. It looks beautiful and supposedly plays exactly like the original, with most complaints being about sound design and monsters' more realistic visual design (which are a big deal to me, but probably won't ruin the game for a new player). I'd love to play it, but buying a console just for a single remake is the next level of the "Bloodborne-machine" meme and it's just too much for me.

If you decide to go for the original, playing on an emulator allows you to remove the 30 fps cap, which on its own is enough to make the PS3 version completely obsolete.

Bloodeyes

Arcane

Some people prefer some of the art direction and musical scoring and stuff. If none of that bothers you, the remake is true to the original with the exception of an extra set of secret collectibles afaik. I haven't played the remake myself, but I was following it for the brief period I was considering trying to get a PS5.
I didn't actually realize it was ps5 exclusive. I figured it would be ps4/ps5 like Elden Ring. Yeah they're not available in my area either. I'd have to get one from a scalper. They're for sale but it's quite a risk buying something that expensive online. I'll look for a disc copy of the original if I can find one and play it on my ps3. So then I'd have 2 ps3 games. Red Dead and this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom