Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
To be honest, there is nothing wrong with input-reading AI, it cost less processing power while looking relatively smart on practice when the player doesn't notice it.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The issue is not if said bit of game design is "smart", but if it's good game design
And the answer is that input reading is only a good pratice in specific cases, which is certainly not the case for ER and even previous From games since at least DS3

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Here's the specifics of the input reading. It's mechanically not input reading but functionally it is, as demonstrated by the video above:

Here's the specifics of the input reading. It's mechanically not input reading but functionally it is, as demonstrated by the video above:

Animation rather than input reading then. Explains why PvE enemies struggle with attack types that have very few (jump) or delayable (charged/mounted heavy) startup frames.

In fact it probably explains why some weapon arts are so effective too - the enemy likely isn't coded to respond to the animation in the same way as a standard attack. And why the fingerprint stone shield caused such weird enemy behaviour when I used it. There's no animation for them to respond to.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
So I've been doing something of a challenge run. It's not really that challenging, but I've forced myself to stick to a level 125 character. This way it feels more like I've got a build. So far its been great. I'm playing a pure faith Samurai starting class with dual sacred uchigatanas. He's been very effective at most things, though the Black Blade kindred was much more difficult with no physical striking damage at my disposal.

I haven't played pure faith in ages and it's as good as I remember. I'm loving dual katanas too. This is the first time I've stuck with powerstancing and my first time using katanas. They're really great.

Here's the build. His physick is holy shrouding and crimsonburst. Body buff is usually boiled crab. Obviously if I swap to flame art scaling for a boss I also swap crystal tear and scorpion charm. Sometimes I use golden vow. Usually not, just physick and boiled crab is enough.

eKlDpmz.png

Edit: I dropped four points of mind and one point of endurance to be able to have a natural 60 in FTH. This let me put in Green Turtle talisman instead of two fingers. A stamina regen buff helps a lot with endurance this low, especially when I'm doing my powerstance combos or when I switch to my shield. 60 FTH isn't a requirement for anything, it's just the number I decided on as "a good amount of Faith".

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Job Listings Hint Towards FromSoftware Working On New Armored Core Game

Is Armored Core Coming Back?
By
Avinash Jaisrani
-
September 26, 2022

FromSoftware has rapidly gained popularity since the release of the Dark Souls franchise. In recent months, the developer has successfully released their biggest title yet. Elden Ring has been a massive hit, and the game has also won the Japan Game Award 2022.

Although Elden Ring continues to do well, it seems like the developer is already busy with future projects. As a new job listing hinted at this leaked title. FromSoftware is hiring for a Character Designer, all but confirming the existence of a brand new Armored Core game.

FromSoftware Armored Core
Source: FromSoftware Character Designer Job Listing

The job description states that FromSoftware is looking to work on the setting and various other aspects of the game. Interestingly, the word “mecha” is mentioned multiple times in the job description. It states,

“You will be in charge of a wide range of designs related to characters and mecha."

FromSoftware has already worked on the mecha genre, with the Armored Core franchise. The franchise spawned several titles and ran for over a decade. Recent rumors have strongly suggested that FromSoftware is once again working on a new Armored Core title, and this job listing all but confirms this speculation.

Furthermore, the job description also mentions weapons and equipment. It states,

“Those who are good at mechanical design are welcome.”

All of this makes a very strong case for the rumored Armored Core game. FromSoftware is also looking for an Environmental Modeler.

FromSoftware Environment Modeler
Source: FromSoftware Job Posting

While the job descriptions strongly point towards the supposed Armored Core title, no official confirmation has been made from the developers yet. As such, this information should be taken with a grain of salt.

FromSoftware has become a huge name in the entire industry. Their recent releases have inspired many developers, but FromSoftware has a vast portfolio that predates the Dark Souls franchise.

Armored Core

Armored Core has been a hot topic in the industry, and it looks like development on the game is currently in progress. The job listing has solid evidence for an Armored Core title, but FromSoftware is yet to officially announce the game.

somerandomdude

Learned
How's this for Elden Bling? I'm quite happy with how this guy has turned out, especially when I think that he started life as a naked wretch:

Ji9jdaV.jpg

His build:
He's a strength build with a tiny dash of faith to give him buffs and curatives. His heavy Zweihander has ash of war chilling mist. His alternate weapon, a cold broadsword, has ash of war glintblade phalanx. His only offensive spell is dragonice, which he casts with the clawmark seal. He's been absolutely brilliant to play but his adventure is almost over.

Vigor: 60
Mind: 17
Endurance: 38
Strength: 65
Dexterity: 11
Intelligence: 11
Faith: 15
Arcane:12

Talismans: Blessed dew, crimson amber +1 (will swap to +2 when I get it), Dragoncrest shield +1 (obviously will be replaced with better versions), great jar's arsenal.

Physick: Crimsonspill and crimsonburst.

Buffs: Bestial vitality (if not using physick), boiled crab. Sometimes fortification incantations instead of boiled crab, where appropriate.

Great rune: I've yet to use a single rune arc. I'm saving all of them for Malenia. I have over 50. I'll be using Morgott's in the fight against her.

Bro, if you're not dual wielding giant crushers, the build is simply low-T. With an adjustment in stats, you could do it and still wear some medium armor. I did a build like that, and found frost infusion to be the best. The leaping double slam is pretty stronk, and if you time the inputs correctly you can quickly do back to back double slams and stun lock the shit out of some stuff, including little Tam-Tam AKA "Malenia". The stat spread would be 50-60 VIG, 60 STR, and however much endurance you need to mid-roll with your armor loadout. Your primary offense is leaping double slams. You can leap in forward, double slam, and then chain another leap slam by doing a neutral jump into another double slam, and it comes out quicker if you time it correctly. You do a ton of damage, and also get a frost proc.

Last edited:

Dadd

Learned

Job Listings Hint Towards FromSoftware Working On New Armored Core Game

Is Armored Core Coming Back?
By
Avinash Jaisrani
-
September 26, 2022

FromSoftware has rapidly gained popularity since the release of the Dark Souls franchise. In recent months, the developer has successfully released their biggest title yet. Elden Ring has been a massive hit, and the game has also won the Japan Game Award 2022.

Although Elden Ring continues to do well, it seems like the developer is already busy with future projects. As a new job listing hinted at this leaked title. FromSoftware is hiring for a Character Designer, all but confirming the existence of a brand new Armored Core game.

FromSoftware Armored Core
Source: FromSoftware Character Designer Job Listing

The job description states that FromSoftware is looking to work on the setting and various other aspects of the game. Interestingly, the word “mecha” is mentioned multiple times in the job description. It states,

“You will be in charge of a wide range of designs related to characters and mecha."

FromSoftware has already worked on the mecha genre, with the Armored Core franchise. The franchise spawned several titles and ran for over a decade. Recent rumors have strongly suggested that FromSoftware is once again working on a new Armored Core title, and this job listing all but confirms this speculation.

Furthermore, the job description also mentions weapons and equipment. It states,

“Those who are good at mechanical design are welcome.”

All of this makes a very strong case for the rumored Armored Core game. FromSoftware is also looking for an Environmental Modeler.

FromSoftware Environment Modeler
Source: FromSoftware Job Posting

While the job descriptions strongly point towards the supposed Armored Core title, no official confirmation has been made from the developers yet. As such, this information should be taken with a grain of salt.

FromSoftware has become a huge name in the entire industry. Their recent releases have inspired many developers, but FromSoftware has a vast portfolio that predates the Dark Souls franchise.

Armored Core

Armored Core has been a hot topic in the industry, and it looks like development on the game is currently in progress. The job listing has solid evidence for an Armored Core title, but FromSoftware is yet to officially announce the game.
Will they turn it into Armored Souls?

Bloodeyes

Arcane
How's this for Elden Bling? I'm quite happy with how this guy has turned out, especially when I think that he started life as a naked wretch:

Ji9jdaV.jpg

His build:
He's a strength build with a tiny dash of faith to give him buffs and curatives. His heavy Zweihander has ash of war chilling mist. His alternate weapon, a cold broadsword, has ash of war glintblade phalanx. His only offensive spell is dragonice, which he casts with the clawmark seal. He's been absolutely brilliant to play but his adventure is almost over.

Talismans: Blessed dew, crimson amber +1 (will swap to +2 when I get it), Dragoncrest shield +1 (obviously will be replaced with better versions), great jar's arsenal.

Buffs: Bestial vitality (if not using physick), boiled crab. Sometimes fortification incantations instead of boiled crab, where appropriate.

Great rune: I've yet to use a single rune arc. I'm saving all of them for Malenia. I have over 50. I'll be using Morgott's in the fight against her.

Bro, if you're not dual wielding giant crushers, the build is simply low-T. With an adjustment in stats, you could do it and still wear some medium armor. I did a build like that, and found frost infusion to be the best. The leaping double slam is pretty stronk, and if you time the inputs correctly you can quickly do back to back double slams and stun lock the shit out of some stuff, including little Tam-Tam AKA "Malenia". The stat spread would be 50-60 VIG, 60 STR, and however much endurance you need to mid-roll with your armor loadout. Your primary offense is leaping double slams. You can leap in forward, double slam, and then chain another leap slam by doing a neutral jump into another double slam, and it comes out quicker if you time it correctly. You do a ton of damage, and also get a frost proc.
Well I killed Malenia with him so I think he worked out just fine. His adventure is over, there'll be no more respecs for him. In the end I moved one stat point and changed his trousers so he could wield the Guts Greatsword (heavy, lion's claw) instead of the zweihander. I don't prefer giant crusher. It looks too much like something out of Looney Toons for me to enjoy it. Plus the Guts has more reach and a generally better moveset.

Late Bloomer

Scholar

Ji9jdaV.jpg

His build:

Well I killed Malenia with him so I think he worked out just fine. His adventure is over, there'll be no more respecs for him. In the end I moved one stat point and changed his trousers so he could wield the Guts Greatsword (heavy, lion's claw) instead of the zweihander. I don't prefer giant crusher. It looks too much like something out of Looney Toons for me to enjoy it. Plus the Guts has more reach and a generally better moveset.

Cool looking dude. How many tries for Malenia?

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
When it came out my first run was INT-caster/parry-dagger to break my long-time Souls series 2hand-guts-style-smasher spell.. I still feel I cheated the game but idk if I need to ever play again with more than 100 hours completionista-ism

I had wished there was more INT variety/utility, but it was also entertaining to wreck the worst offending input-readers with delay’d spells

DS3/ER sorta killed my fanboyism, but I still have hope for AC

Bloodeyes

Arcane

Ji9jdaV.jpg

His build:

Cool looking dude. How many tries for Malenia?
God knows. I've restarted a lot to try builds so it was my first time fighting her. Many, many attempts over 4.5-5 hours of constantly bashing at her.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
I still beat myself up over the fact I never finished Sekiro. It's the only one
YOU CAN DO IT. Do it the straightest way you can without adding any of the difficulty modifiers. You shouldn't miss out. Sekiro has the best boss fights, especially the final 2 (one optional, the other mandatory).
BRO I FEEL YUR PIAN

IM AT THE LAST SEKIRO BOSS BUT I BURNT OUT ON DEMON OF HATRED

I DONT THINK I HAVE IT IN ME TOO GO THROUGH THE GAME AGAIN THAT APE WASN TRAUMATIC

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well I finished it. I picked the Ranni ending. It seems kind of like an evil ending so I kind of regret that. I'm not too happy to have ended the game bowing down to the seemingly evil entity that started the apocalypse in the first place. Oh well. At least I finally beat the game.
My heart is finally at peace. I imagine this must be what seeing your children's graduation feels like.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I still beat myself up over the fact I never finished Sekiro. It's the only one
YOU CAN DO IT. Do it the straightest way you can without adding any of the difficulty modifiers. You shouldn't miss out. Sekiro has the best boss fights, especially the final 2 (one optional, the other mandatory).
BRO I FEEL YUR PIAN

I DONT THINK I HAVE IT IN ME TOO GO THROUGH THE GAME AGAIN THAT APE WASN TRAUMATIC
Fire sombrero :thumbsup:

BRO I FEEL YUR PIAN

First run is the only traumatic one, next run should make you feel awesome. Also Demon of Hatred is a troll boss, no shame in just skipping it.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
What is the idea behind it being a world of decay and the undead but everywhere you look is bustling with activity?
Its a strange mix

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been playing a lot of this over the last week or so, coming back to it after a long break. I've been respecing several times to try out some different builds, and that, in combination with empty stores of fatigue, has done wonders for my enjoyment of it. I pity the fools who played all of this in one go, because the game is far too big for that. I'm amazed that From has managed to produce such an excellent dish in quantities that will make you puke. Regardless of the merits of that design, I'm happy to be experiencing stuff like Farum Azula and the Haligtree without being burdened by the 100+ hours of game that came before.

My first respec was to an intelligence build in order to try some of the int-scaling weapons, like Moonveil and the MLGS (my choices may or may not have been informed by reading this thread). The damage, both direct and to poise, that you get from spamming the really very fast weapon arts of these weapons is ridiculous. I tried a few other weapons as well, like the Astel boss weapon flail, but none were anywhere near as good as those two. It's actually a bit disappointing. Weapon arts (and jump attacks, weirdly) are so much better than any other attacks that it feels stupid to even touch the front bumpers of the controller. This leads to extremely degenerate gameplay where the optimal strategy is to keep using the same attack over and over again instead of making use of all the moves available, which ironically makes combat less varied than previous Souls games even though the weapons in those have fewer attacks.

Eventually I got tired of constant L2 spam and switched to bleed instead, and holy fuck is it powerful. Dual-wielding the Reduvia dagger and a blood-infused dagger with already innate bleed, and anything that's even slightly weak to it completely melts. Even bleed-resistant enemies suffer blood loss after only a few attacks. The Reduvia dagger also has a ranged bleed attack as its weapon art, making the extremely short range of daggers less of a problem, though still enough of an issue that the setup doesn't feel completely overpowered. I'm having a lot more fun with this than with the magic build, especially since you can supplement with spells to shake things up, unlike with Moonveil/MLGS where you already have a better spell built into the weapon than any you could cast with a staff. Sometimes I like to switch to the rot-inducing Scorpion's Stinger and the rot breath spell to shake things up. Status effects haven't been this fun since Dark Souls 2, and in fact Elden ring probably surpasses it. Exellent stuff.

PS: The Fire Giant boss fight is hot garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom