Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
That goes for all Souls games. When you have people finishing the game naked at SL1 using only a rusted fork there's really no point fretting over about optimal builds. Getting gud is all that matters.

Optimal builds only matter in PvP.
There's nothing quite like watching some guy running around naked and unarmed, beating the hell out of a boss you've struggled with with his fists.
feelsgoodman.png

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Hm, just realized that in order to be successful with a game like ER all they had to do is literally just pick up the previous games as they were and make no changes and just drop them on a big map. Oh and add a horse. Literally all it took. And there you go. Revolutionary, amazing, genre defining, second Skyrim, second coming, GOTY, life changing and on and on. Incredible.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why do you suggest STR? Bloodhound's Fang is a Dex preferring quality weapon. At +10 with 17 DEX and 80 STR it give 690 AR two handed. At 18 STR and 79 DEX (for fairness) it gives 774 AR. At 55 DEX 42 STR it gets 807 two handed AR. To optimize for Bloodhound's fang go to 55 DEX and then dump whatever's left over into STR. Even one handed it seems to do better with this split. A build like this could use a lot of different weapons too. Probably most of the weapons in the game.
Because I am trying to deceitfully push him away from yet another Bleed build. :lol:

Worth pointing out that the BHF also has an excellent moveset for PvE independent of its weapon art. Seems to have very generous hitboxes on light attacks in particular.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Heh, just had a thought, but wouldn't it be cool if you could fight bosses in that arena. Then again, maybe not as that would just allow you to practice against them indefinitely which would make future playthroughs redudant. I already only replay previous Souls games when enough time has passed for me to have grown rusted at the game, just so i can have some of the same challenge i had the first time. If i could fight against Malenia over and over at a whim i'd trivialize the game forever.

Last edited:

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
This game sold well because all other games released this year are shit, not even saying Elden Ring is spectacular since it's a lame effort upon Dark Souls 3 which is horrendous.
I expect nothing from future FromSoft games but I bet they will iterate on streamlining like they did with Dark Souls 3.

Turn_BASED

Educated
This game sold well because all other games released this year are shit, not even saying Elden Ring is spectacular since it's a lame effort upon Dark Souls 3 which is horrendous.
I expect nothing from future FromSoft games but I bet they will iterate on streamlining like they did with Dark Souls 3.
Did you even play the game? They changed so much between DS3 and Elden Ring.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Sans the open world shit Elden Ring is better than DS3 IMHO. DS3 had great bosses but the rest was very forgettable where as Elden Ring has some memorable legacy dungeons, unique shit and more variety.

Last edited:

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I just tried using Flame of the Redmanes to cheese a dragon. That no longer works. Its poise damage has been nerfed into the ground. Actual dogshit ash of war now. The last 3 patches have changed so much. 1.6 made light roll OP. 1.7 made most of the crappier ashes good and some of them great and now Redmanes is useless. I haven't tried ash of war glintblade phalanx to see if that still stance breaks.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I just tried using Flame of the Redmanes to cheese a dragon. That no longer works. Its poise damage has been nerfed into the ground. Actual dogshit ash of war now. The last 3 patches have changed so much. 1.6 made light roll OP. 1.7 made most of the crappier ashes good and some of them great and now Redmanes is useless. I haven't tried ash of war glintblade phalanx to see if that still stance breaks.
Sounds like Flame of the Redmanes is now a trash of war. :smug:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I missed all the changes made during the various patches i'm surprised they are messing with it so much.

I just wish they'd fix some of the stuff in the open world that feels slapped toghether, but i guess balance changes cost nothing since the devs just have to change numbers around where as making the design of the game a bit better would cost money. All those copy pasted enemies etc there's some stuff that could use a lot of improvement.

I finished ER shortly after release and it's the only Souls game in which I didn't start another playthrough right away. I don't see myself doing it either.

Something about the extreme repetition, copypasta overworld and evident bloat after Limgrave Leyndell soured me to the experience entirely.

Maybe I shouldn't have poopsocked to the end so fast.

Last edited:
I finished ER shortly after release and it's the only Souls game in which I didn't start another playthrough right away. I don't see myself doing it either.

Something about the extreme repetition, copypasta overworld and evident bloat after Limgrave soured me to the experience entirely.

I don't see myself starting a fresh run of this either. The thought of having to gather all the toys while unlocking that map all over again does not seem appealing at all. I am open to the possibility of doing NG+ to try another build, most likely a mage, basically rushing through main content while ignoring most of the side stuff. Sometime in the future. Just not near future. For now it's uninstalled.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Patron

Something about the extreme repetition, copypasta overworld and evident bloat after Limgrave soured me to the experience entirely.

I don't see myself starting a fresh run of this either. The thought of having to gather all the toys while unlocking that map all over again does not seem appealing at all. I am open to the possibility of doing NG+ to try a other build, most likely a mage, basically rushing through main content while ignoring most of the side stuff. Sometime in the future. Just not near future. For now it's uninstalled.
I beat it a few times, 100% it, burnt out pretty good and am good for now. I'll consider revisiting if they have a compelling DLC, otherwise I'm fine for now. I was kind of burning out on Souls games before Elden Ring came out though.

Jinn

Arcane
I will absolutely fully replay this game someday. Maybe 3-4 years down the line or so, but I have no doubt the fancy will strike. Interested to see what kind of mods come out for it too.

Will of course play the DLC immediately upon release.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I've been playing it every day for the last 8 or so months. Even when I say I'll take time off I don't. I just play a casual run with fewer restrictions and get OP early. I know I should move on but there's still more I want to do with this game and honestly that doesn't feel like its about to change. But then I haven't spent the last decade playing similar games. This is my first.

I no longer full clear every dungeon though. I just grab a soreseal, a few flask upgrades, the crystal tears, talismans and weapons I want. Its especially fun if what I want to use is hard to get/meet requirements for at low level. Then fight what bosses I feel like fighting to get levels until my build takes shape.

Then I lose interest. The endgame is really gruelling. Not unfairly hard or anything. Its just hard to make yourself play it when your build is done and you've already beaten it before.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
How old are you Bloodeyes?

Just wanna check if age is the reason i get burned out with games easier than i used to is because i'm old and broken or if its just my fuck you depression. :negative:

Perkel

Arcane
You get burnt out because it is just big as hell. I have same issue. It's mindboggling huge where your standard souls approach of doing everything leads to 200h playthrough each time. The worst part weirdly about is that all side content is highquality stuff which feels bad to skip.

For me it clicked on i think 5th character (didn't even finish it yet once, stopped just before last fight). Essentially you pick what you are interested in rather than do everything. Mage focused on summoning ? Do graves, lucaria/rani and sprinkle it with some side stuff and target ring holders. You don't need to do mines, you don't need to do half of side content to begin with. Warrior ? Opposite of that. focus on mines and other side content and skip through lucaria ignore rani and just go further.

As much as i hate random content i think that Elden Ring would be much better game as roguelike experience. Essentially you start your build and explore world in which you don't know what is behind corner but then again like i said you randomization needs ton of depth worth of few games like Elden ring to make it viable.

Perkel

Arcane
Seems extremely complicated to randomize this game without making it a mess

I didn't say it was easy and probably not really something that can be done in near future.

It isn't really something FS didn't try. Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne were effectively that. Roguelike mode with randomly generated dungeons with unique boss at end of dungeon. The issue with it was that they had only 4 themes and puzzles which were build off were pretty limited.
As long as it felt "fresh" aka you didn't learn dungeons setup and you didn't see everything it played great.

Alas they went into opposite direction. Increase massively world so that you have to pick and choose instead of doing everything. It works in similar way but has a limit aka you doing everything and knowing everything where is and how to fight.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I only do what content I'm interested in and still got burned out 15 hours into Elden Ring. Something about the enemy density, the only form of interaction being combat, and the realisation of the games repetition just made it a super fatiguing experience. The games "open world as a big dungeon," design doesn't quite work for me because it's too large and open, but the game is also too dense with enemies to be enjoyable to explore in the same way other open worlds are. There's a lot of beautiful things in the game to enjoy but the overall experience feels like wading through molasses.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So I return to this to try the colossea and what, nobody is playing the team modes in Caelid? Been trying to gather a team for 10 minutes at least

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom