Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
i'm playing on the Steam Deck and its not as comfortable as the pc, but still good.
after countless attempts Mogh is down. i enjoyed ( and raged during it) the fight a lot. telegraphed attacks and readable combos and windows. one of the few well designed ER bosses . The fight was very hard on the steam deck, but the most difficulty was coming from all effects and tension from the second phase ( shitty aoes everywhere) .
once i got the timings down it was only a matter of keeping the calm.
my build is dual wield reapers ( FYI they have shit damage) 45 vigor 20str/dex 40 faith, no summons ofc
i wanted to use holy zwheinder with a shield but dude was resistant to holy.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Alright, I've beaten it. Went for the fire ending, of course.

Now I need to kill that one black assassin in the moon area, awesome fight.

I'm quite amazed at how complicated the game is as a playground for builds. The ash of war system is quite a nice touch.

Last edited:
I just want all souls games to only have areas like the Catacombs (DS1), Tower of Latria, Sen's Fortress or Valley of Defilement. They could iterate on those as many times as they want and I'd be fine with those. Big flat fields are not interesting
agreed. From software really shines when they stick to King's field type dungeon crawls. still find it funny how elden ring is all "we finally added dark areas where you need a torch" even though they had it all perfected in demon's souls
But you've always had that, plus light spells in these games. I think they designed this in full knowledge that a lot of new people would be jumping in. It is "easier" than any souls game (the self replenishing potions, the double checkpoints, the ashes of war, etc.) but there's still some fun to be had with it. Although, I certainly do not think I'd be playing an ER2 if they keep the open world at this size.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Beat Elden Ring a few weeks ago after a long time pecking away at it. Have been checking some other people playing now on Youtube and shit, and jesus christ, is every fucking mongoloid just spamming jump + R2 attacks?

Beat Elden Ring a few weeks ago after a long time pecking away at it. Have been checking some other people playing now on Youtube and shit, and jesus christ, is every fucking mongoloid just spamming jump + R2 attacks?
One of the best things about combat is related to ER picking up after DS2 with alternatives to approach your own fighting style, but dominant strategy always wins I guess

Old Hans

Arcane
But you've always had that, plus light spells in these games. I think they designed this in full knowledge that a lot of new people would be jumping in. It is "easier" than any souls game (the self replenishing potions, the double checkpoints, the ashes of war, etc.) but there's still some fun to be had with it. Although, I certainly do not think I'd be playing an ER2 if they keep the open world at this size.
I have to admit I do like the ashes of war idea, especially those puppet archers that shoot arrows constantly and make all the annoying fast bosses jump around like idiots

Zariusz

Arbiter
Post your outfits

UWVGzIL.png

Its a shame that Exile knight set is so battered and full of holes, one of the best looking armors in game.

I have to admit I do like the ashes of war idea, especially those puppet archers that shoot arrows constantly and make all the annoying fast bosses jump around like idiots
the named ones, like the ones that are proper characters instead of nameless goons, are pretty good as well. the ALBINAURIC WOMAN is an archer and if you position her where nobody else can touch her (since her legs don't work) she'll just snipe away until the boss is dead.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Classic strength build. Some kind of heavy 2-hander, and bulky armor, is my go-to setup. I mostly prefer the Great Mace though.

I don't expect any points for originiality or style!

Screenshot-2023-01-21-224924.jpg

Elwro

Arcane
I hoped that after all was said and done I would be able to talk to the smith about how a weapon he helped forge killed a god. Now I'm not really sure what his story was supposed to be.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I hoped that after all was said and done I would be able to talk to the smith about how a weapon he helped forge killed a god. Now I'm not really sure what his story was supposed to be.
Eh, in case anyone still cares about spoilers in this thread.

His fate was tied to the Roundtable Hold since he was its prisoner in body and spirit, so as it deteriorates as part of your quest, so does he. It doesn't matter though because his purpose is fulfilled and like Wunderbar says above, he basically goes hollow once this happens much like in the Dark Souls games.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Every few weeks I try to teach myself to parry again. I roll up a character, grab a small shield and a rapier and try to play the archetype I've wanted to be able to play since I got this game: A swashbuckling cleric/rogue with a rapier and buckler.

It always ends with me incoherent with rage, deleting said character after having spent my day dying to trash mobs in the starting areas.

Today I did it again only I've finally started to make a small amount of progress with parrying. I can parry the following enemies with some degree of consistency:

- Godrick soldiers (any armaments)
- Footsoldiers (dagger or spear but not shortsword)
- Imps
- Kaiden sellswords (mounted or on foot, but its difficult)
- Warhawks
- Knights
- Tree sentinel (but its pointless, there's no riposte)
- The NPC invader with the butchering knife

I can only parry 1 or 2 attacks from most of these, and its still not a strat I'd go to if my back were to the wall. I can also occasionally parry demi humans and pests but not even close to consistently. Still I'm making progress and holy shit has it been hard won.

I'm going to keep working on this. I started with block, counter. Then I progressed to dodge, punish. Parry, riposte is still a ways off being part of my natural playstyle but maybe I'll get there. I was genuinely proud of myself when I did the catacombs fight against the hopping cat and the 4 imps and parried all the imps on my first attempt. Parries were actually useful to me instead of just making me angry.

Elwro

Arcane
Same here w.r.t. parrying.

I also always tell myself to finally really base my build on something nonmelee but I always end up a dexfag.

Parrying is useful when you're low level imo. Once you get access to better weapons or spells shields become useless. By that point you should also have 40 vigor or something, plus great runes and rune arcs, so you shouldn't have any problems tanking or dodging stuff normally.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
guys, is there a way to have a faith scaling but without doind holy dmg? i ask because i want to use Zwheinder for endgame and i have 40 faith but i heard most laate boss are holy resistant. i had to use dual wield reaper against mogh because he was resistant to both holy and fire.

Caim

Arcane
guys, is there a way to have a faith scaling but without doind holy dmg? i ask because i want to use Zwheinder for endgame and i have 40 faith but i heard most laate boss are holy resistant. i had to use dual wield reaper against mogh because he was resistant to both holy and fire.
Flame Art is the obvious choice, but from what I can tell some of the Lightning weapon arts also scale with Faith.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Flame Art is the obvious choice, but from what I can tell some of the Lightning weapon arts also scale with Faith.
There are also those bleed/thorns invocations - I think those are faith/arcane though, it's been awhile.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
do you mean guys flame affinity right? or the weapon art itself?
i just wanted to use my weapon normal attacks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom