Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Bloodeyes

Arcane
guys, is there a way to have a faith scaling but without doind holy dmg? i ask because i want to use Zwheinder for endgame and i have 40 faith but i heard most laate boss are holy resistant. i had to use dual wield reaper against mogh because he was resistant to both holy and fire.
Flame Art is the obvious choice, but from what I can tell some of the Lightning weapon arts also scale with Faith.
Isn't it just that they can scale sacred if you use sanctified whetblade? Lightning scaling runs off Dex but lightning ashes can scale sacred (and sacred can scale lightning).

Just use flame art scaling for endgame and buff yourself with flame shrouding cracked tear and spiked cracked tear. Have the axe talisman in and you'll have 3 stacking buffs on your fully charged poke R2. You could also use a roar weapon art and use roar medallion as well to get 5 stacking buffs but I find that too slow. Spear talisman doesn't apply to the Zweihander poke in my testing.

Also 40 in your main stat is kinda low for endgame. Totally viable I'd just expect you to have a bit more given you're probably at least level 120 by now. Are you doing a mixed build like str/fth or dex/fth? If you are just scale physical (keen or heavy) then buff with electrify armament from the Godslayer's seal to get something on your weapon from that faith.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
guys, is there a way to have a faith scaling but without doind holy dmg? i ask because i want to use Zwheinder for endgame and i have 40 faith but i heard most laate boss are holy resistant. i had to use dual wield reaper against mogh because he was resistant to both holy and fire.
Flame Art is the obvious choice, but from what I can tell some of the Lightning weapon arts also scale with Faith.
Isn't it just that they can scale sacred if you use sanctified whetblade? Lightning scaling runs off Dex but lightning ashes can scale sacred (and sacred can scale lightning).
:? How do you play the game this long without knowing how a basic mechanic like infusion and scaling works? Or is this just poorly written so I'm not picking up whatever you're getting at.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
:? How do you play the game this long without knowing how a basic mechanic like infusion and scaling works? Or is this just poorly written so I'm not picking up whatever you're getting at.

What did I get wrong? Lightning scaling adds dexterity scaling, not faith scaling, and can be applied to physical, holy or lightning ashes of war. It is applied with sanctified whetblade. So caim saying some of the lightning weapon arts scale with faith is probably incorrect unless he means using sacred scaling with them. That would change the split damage to holy, somthing Alphard was seeking to avoid.

Its possible I've made an error here and missed a lightning ash that runs off faith. Can't say I've used every somber weapon. Still, I just had a look through the wiki table of faith scaling sombers and didn't see any that have faith scaling. So no, you can't scale lightning off faith but you can add a small amount of lightning damage to a sacred weapon with an ash like lightning slash.

My post isn't poorly written you're just a little bitch.

mediocrepoet

Patron

What did I get wrong? Lightning scaling adds dexterity scaling, not faith scaling, and can be applied to physical, holy or lightning ashes of war. It is applied with sanctified whetblade. So caim saying some of the lightning weapon arts scale with faith is probably incorrect unless he means using sacred scaling with them. That would change the split damage to holy, somthing Alphard was seeking to avoid.

Its possible I've made an error here and missed a lightning ash that runs off faith. Can't say I've used every somber weapon. Still, I just had a look through the wiki table of faith scaling sombers and didn't see any that have faith scaling. So no, you can't scale lightning off faith but you can add a small amount of lightning damage to a sacred weapon with an ash like lightning slash.

I am? Alright then, Captain Butthurt. Maybe learn to write and try playing more than one game. :smug:

Bloodeyes

Arcane

I am? Alright then, Captain Butthurt. Maybe learn to write and try playing more than one game. :smug:
What am I butthurt about? You being wrong? I just don't like you. That's the thing. You've been starting little spats with me and leaving rude ratings on my posts as long as I've been participating in this thread. I think your deal is that you're one of these guys who doesn't like people talking about his game.

You're quite happy to give advice to newer players but defend your territory whenever another threatens your self-appointed position as keeper of the knowledge. Or to put it more succinctly, you're a little bitch. Congrats bitch, you get to join my small but highly exclusive club. You'll be the fourth member. Membership isn't easy to earn but once you're in you're in for life.

mediocrepoet

Patron
What am I butthurt about? You being wrong? I just don't like you. That's the thing. You've been starting little spats with me and leaving rude ratings on my posts as long as I've been participating in this thread. I think your deal is that you're one of these guys who doesn't like people talking about his game.

You're quite happy to give advice to newer players but defend your territory whenever another threatens your self-appointed position as keeper of the knowledge. Or to put it more succinctly, you're a little bitch. Congrats bitch, you get to join my small but highly exclusive club. You'll be the fourth member. Membership isn't easy to earn but once you're in you're in for life.
Clearly I'm the bitch here. Oh well, I hope that worked out whatever issue you're going through. I'd hate to see how many tears you spend on something serious.

Dr1f7

Scholar

honestly i don't think that's how scaling works you've got it all backwards

Bloodeyes

Arcane

honestly i don't think that's how scaling works you've got it all backwards
Explain what you mean by that

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Another day, more parrying practice. This really is a horrible play style. I tried to get Margit with parries only but that was way beyond me. I parried him a few times but he needs more than one parry to get a riposte and there's only one of his attacks that I can parry. So I had to dodge around him forever waiting for that attack, gradually getting worn down from mistimed dodges and failed parry attempts. Really, really unpleasant. After 5 attempts and only 2 successful ripostes I gave up and killed him.

The optimistic energy from yesterdays progress is gone. Fuck parrying man, I'm close to giving up again.

Edit:

Okay this fight was a lot easier. Parries actually felt like a good strat here. Not a clean kill at all, lots of mistakes. But still, parries only first try.

May want to watch on mute. I forgot to turn my mic off so you can hear my button presses really loud.

Last edited:

ferratilis

Magister
It seems Miyazaki is not intending to release any DLC soon, and I'm tired of waiting, so I started another playthrough. This time, I'm using Great Stars, terrific weapon. At first, I wanted to play as a caster, but just like in every other Souls game, as soon as I get the opportunity to start bonking people, that's it. With jump attacks and bleed, it's even more fun.

You hit me, you bleed. I hit you, you bleed.
20230124102347-1.jpg

Or we can just do it faster.
20230124102340-1.jpg

ferratilis

Magister
For PVE, Spiked Palisade Shield with Shield Crash ash of war is so strong that you won't even have to use weapons in some fights. It also helps that the AI is so stupid that they will eat the whole charge, get knocked down, then stand up to eat another full charge. If they survive the first one, that is. It completely trivializes the Great Jar challenge.

Of course, in PvP, most players will just move to the side, the charge will miss and leave you completely exposed.

mediocrepoet

Patron
For PVE, Spiked Palisade Shield with Shield Crash ash of war is so strong that you won't even have to use weapons in some fights. It also helps that the AI is so stupid that they will eat the whole charge, get knocked down, then stand up to eat another full charge. If they survive the first one, that is. It completely trivializes the Great Jar challenge.

Of course, in PvP, most players will just move to the side, the charge will miss and leave you completely exposed.
Oh no, he shuffled to the right! My greatest weakness! :lol:

JDR13

Arcane

I've got that shield and want to use it, but it puts me in a heavy load, and I hate fat-rolling.

Bloodeyes

Arcane

I've got that shield and want to use it, but it puts me in a heavy load, and I hate fat-rolling.

The lightest greatshield is the wooden greatshield (8 weight) and even a base level vagabond gets 83 blood loss buildup on this at +0. Obviously that gets a lot better if you level the shield and the arcane stat. At +25 with 55 Arc it gets 164 blood loss buildup. 95% guarded damage negation isn't too bad. You can always just throw vitality on to heal the chips until you can tote a heavier shield.

I haven't tested this but I've heard that winged sword/milicents triggers from shield crash. Shard and lord of bloods should stack too. Fingerprint shield is a popular option for this setup in the late game. Have fun trolling the PVP and don't forget to tea bag afterwards!

JDR13

Arcane

The lightest greatshield is the wooden greatshield (8 weight) and even a base level vagabond gets 83 blood loss buildup on this at +0. Obviously that gets a lot better if you level the shield and the arcane stat. At +25 with 55 Arc it gets 164 blood loss buildup. 95% guarded damage negation isn't too bad. You can always just throw vitality on to heal the chips until you can tote a heavier shield.

I haven't tested this but I've heard that winged sword/milicents triggers from shield crash. Shard and lord of bloods should stack too. Fingerprint shield is a popular option for this setup in the late game. Have fun trolling the PVP and don't forget to tea bag afterwards!
Confused about the 83 blood loss buildup there. On a wooden greatshield? Or are you talking about the spiked shield?

As for the Arc stat, I haven't put a single point into that. That would be something I'd try in a future playthough.

Bloodeyes

Arcane

Confused about the 83 blood loss buildup there. On a wooden greatshield? Or are you talking about the spiked shield?

As for the Arc stat, I haven't put a single point into that. That would be something I'd try in a future playthough.
I'm not sure how far in you are. There's an item you get called the Black Whetblade that lets you apply blood, poison and occult scaling to smithing stone upgrade weapons. So if you've got that and the shield crash ash of war you can apply blood scaling to any shield that upgrades with smithing stones. Blood scaling reduces physical scaling and base damage but adds arcane scaling and blood loss buildup. If you have no arcane cold scaling may be a better choice for you. Frostbite buildup scales with weapon upgrade only and its also a very good status effect.

Arcane does improve item drops. At least enemies drop their sets faster than usual with a little bonus to it thanks to armor set bonuses.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Not my first time fighting these guys by any means, but the only recording I have of myself beating them legit:

Edit: This second one isn't from the stream. Its another clip from my parrying practice save. I'm getting better. I'm still a long way from parries feeling like a natural, normal part of my playstyle like dodging is.

Last edited:

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I spent today practicing my parrying. By the end of the day I was really torturing myself, repeatedly doing parries with the rapier. I spent over 11 hours on it. At the end of the day I went back to the buckler and fought another bell bearing hunter. I'm improving:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

And the boss design is the logical conclusion of twitch finger turbo autist "git gud" design that most of them are not even fun to fight.

What logical conclusion Dark Souls 1 had those kind of bosses already, with Artorias and Manus doing already everything Elden Ring is doing.

And just like with those two, the game gives you plenty of ways to trivalize them if you don't feel like sparing with them.

Besides, if Elden Ring bosses were as slow as they were in Dark Souls people would bitch the game was too easy and dumped down. There's no way they can win it seems.

If I suck at playing games well is this basically not a good choice for me to play?
There are several ways to break the game in ways that weren't quite possible before. It's definitely easier than the Souls Trilogy in many regards. You should try it to be sure, but it's certainly a game you can cheese.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom