Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Elder Scrolls freebies on Steam

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Saint_Proverbius, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Saint_Proverbius Administrator Patron

Saint_Proverbius
    Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Daggerfall Unity; The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall; The Elder Scrolls: Arena

Steam has also put up versions of the older Elder Scrolls games. For example, Elder Scrolls: Arena and Daggerfall are now available for free, at least right now. You'll probably want to snag these just in case. They're tiny. You'll also probably want Daggerfall Unity, which fixes a lot of bugs and runs on modern PCs without too much muster. For those who don't know anything about these games, here's a super long video by Jwlar. It's over three hours long, and explains the game, why he likes it, and the unity version of the game.

So, there you boys go. Now there's no excuse not to try the original games, back when Bethesda gave a shit about deep CRPG mechanics and throwing in everything they possibly could rather than stripping features to make them more accessible with each version.

Oh yeah, there's also Battlespire, but it's $5.99US. You can also get it DRM free for the same price on GOG.

• Shit x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award x 2
    • incline x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Late Bloomer Educated

Late Bloomer
    Having them on Steam is nice enough I spose. Upping the library game count is nice too. On a sidenote, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory is also free via the same news cycle.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • consume product x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. mediocrepoet First disciple of Mediocrites Patron

mediocrepoet
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Arena and Daggerfall have been available for free through GOG for years. I think at some point they changed it to require a purchase of another title in the series and then they get added to your account, but they're still available that way.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Saint_Proverbius Administrator Patron

Saint_Proverbius
    I actually bought Daggerfall on GOG years ago for a couple of bucks on sale, if I remember right. I've had it since before GOG had their client.

That said, I ran across this on Steam under their reviews from a guy named "Ithiryl":

Haven't tried it yet, though.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. mediocrepoet First disciple of Mediocrites Patron

mediocrepoet
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah, the Arena / Daggerfall freeware thing happened later. I suppose my only real point was that it's unlikely that they'll be removed or start requiring a purchase again due to this.

This is apparently the current state over at GOG: https://af.gog.com/wishlist/games/the_elder_scrolls_arena?as=1649904300

^ Top  
  6. OSK Arcane Patron

OSK
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    • Brofist x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. gummy Learned

gummy
  8. Morpheus Kitami Liturgist

Morpheus Kitami
    Nice to see more options for it available, though I should point out you could also download Arena and Daggerfall through Bethesda's own website, which is how they started off with these titles. Arena was offered for free back in '04, when places like GOG didn't exist and abandonware was king.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Sin2x Educated

Sin2x
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Equip the Ring Equip the Ring x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    "[​IMG] pokuru[​IMG] pokuru
    this needs to be back on gog cuz it was the cd version which is the best version. it has fixes apparently, but i know it has voice overs in the cutscenes and better music. ive verified myself. i have a cd version install and loaded up the "free" bethesda one too. they are definitely different. and free version has bad quality sounds imo.
    "

^ Top  
  11. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    ^Elaborate, looks like he's saying neither Beth, Steam nor GOG offer the CD version but what is the "this" he's talking about?

edit: one second thought he probably meant ArenaSetup

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    I have no idea if it ever was other than the free version offered with certain bethesda games. I'd probably have 4-8 copies of each arena & daggerfall. The iso was on a freebie site at one time. I should have bought the cd a long time ago. I still might.

^ Top  
  13. Skdursh Savant

Skdursh
    Arena and Daggerfall have been free for years on GOG, on Bethesda's own website and as a Google Drive download hosted by and linked directly from the Daggerfall Unity website. I guess it's nice to have it on Steam as well?

^ Top  
  14. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    I couldn't help but think BFD! To the announcement.

^ Top  
  15. Konjad Prestigious Gentleman High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    Strap Yourselves In Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Arena is shit
    Daggerfall was alright for the time, but time wasn't kind on it. It'd rather replay a few dozen other 90s RPGs than that.
    They could've at least make Morrowind + addons for free (although everybody already played them anyway)
    Or Oblibion, why not, it's old by now

Instead they are milking Morrowing and Oblibion like there's no tomorrow, their prices are higher than I could pay for boxes years ago.

Also, you don't know how to use Steam and what's permanently or temporarily free? They are clearly permanently free.

You start acting like a shill, Saint_Proverbius - are you learning from Infinitron ?

^ Top  
  16. Saint_Proverbius Administrator Patron

Saint_Proverbius
    I think it is. Steam has a lot more reach than GOG and Bethesda's website requires a Bethesda.net account unless they've changed that. Even though I have Daggerfall on GOG, I grabbed it on Steam as well so it'll always be on there as well with all the other Elder Scrolls games I have. There's a few games I own on a few different platforms.

^ Top  
  17. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    I read rumors that Steam's Daggerfall version is unpatched, so beware...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Sibylla Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Douchebag!

Sibylla

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sin2x Educated

Sin2x
    Redguard and Battlespire were not free until this point AFAIK, so it's still newsworthy.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. index.php Arcane

index.php

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Trans-Financial-Man Prophet

Trans-Financial-Man
    Can we talk about how the video is reviewing Daggerfall Unity and not Daggerfall itself? I love Daggerfall Unity it is objectively the best way to play. But it is not Daggerfall when it released. He is not reviewing Daggerfall. He is reviewing Daggerfall Unity a version with the benefit of hindsight to fix bugs. So calling the video a "deconstruction" of Daggerfall is a bit disingenuous and can lead to false info spreading.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Moonrise The Magnificent Patron

Moonrise
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    The floppy version of Arena, and an unpatched version of Daggerfall. Classic Bethesda. Well, they only put them up because of the Bethesda launcher being retired. Clearly they give zero shits about their old catalog.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. elverkongen Educated

elverkongen
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Sin2x Educated

Sin2x
    Hmm, for some reason I thought they were free too, which they are not, true. News-worthless then.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.