Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Elder Scrolls V - IGN Rewind Theater

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeesh said:
As graphics continue to get more and more stupidly advanced

wat

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeesh said:
Yeah, they looked fine to me. As graphics continue to get more and more stupidly advanced, I don't know that nitpicking about imperfect textures or reused animations really fits in with the Codex philosophy of what's supposed to matter in games.

I dunno, man. If it's all a game has going for it, or if it's supposed to be one of the major selling points of the game, you're kind of inviting ridicule.

It looks fine to me, but these kind of gameplay trailers can be misleading.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DarkUnderlord said:
I've got no doubt it's in-engine footage but it's obviously scripted, which makes it quite different from being "in-game" (as in, actual game-play). How else did they cinematically place the camera so the Dragon would fall into it, get those heroic shots of the guy without any armour (I mean come on, we'd take Dragons on in Daderic armour AMIRITE who'd use base shield and sword in their underpants) etc...?

Also, notice how they went so far as to show a bow and arrow... but didn't show it firing. Bethesda cannot into Archery. :smug:

Morrowind archery was good. Arena too.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
T-T said:
It's funny they discuss every second of the dragon battle in the trailer, how the dragon's body and head reacts to every single blow "properly", and so on. Its obviously scripted to look perfect for the trailer, 5$ says that when Skyrim hits the shelves they'll be in for a clunky surprise.

Did that guy's bleeding shield give it away?

Nyarmith

Educated
DarkUnderlord said:
I've got no doubt it's in-engine footage but it's obviously scripted, which makes it quite different from being "in-game" (as in, actual game-play). How else did they cinematically place the camera so the Dragon would fall into it, get those heroic shots of the guy without any armour (I mean come on, we'd take Dragons on in Daderic armour AMIRITE who'd use base shield and sword in their underpants) etc...?

Also, notice how they went so far as to show a bow and arrow... but didn't show it firing. Bethesda cannot into Archery. :smug:

They revamped the archery based off of successful archer mods; it fires slower and with more impact.

As for in-game dragons.
http://twitter.com/nickbreckon/status/40798586128039936

halasterbc

Novice
How goes the praising at Bethesda's forum already? I must admit i liked that fireburst like spell. Is there any news for the kinds of spells the game will have?

Yeesh

Magister
tehRPness said:
The point is that the graphics are all of the focus for marketing the game, instead of all the real elements that compose a game. If they can't even deliver a decent looking game despite using the word next-gen ad nauseam, Bethesda are bound to disappoint and make another shitty game that could otherwise have been a milestone.
What? You should read what you just wrote, because you seem to be saying that if the game doesn't look decent, Bethesda's going to disappoint and make a shitty game. Was that our primary complaint about Oblivion? That it didn't look decent? Is that a valid complaint at all, when apparently your standard for 'decent looking' is that of a full-fledged graphics whore?

Brother None said:
I dunno, man. If it's all a game has going for it, or if it's supposed to be one of the major selling points of the game, you're kind of inviting ridicule.

I hope you'll agree that Bethesda, makers of some of the most commercially and critically (yes) successful RPGs of the past decade, probably would disagree with the assessment that graphics is all this game has going for it. You know what they probably think the video is showing? Dragons, an open world, a variety of weapons and magic, immersive combat (leave me out of this, I'm just telling you what they're thinking), that sort of thing. And graphics too, of course.

But as far as touting graphics, surely you're a student of video game history. Surely you're aware that most computer games, or I believe I can say just about all computer games which have been heavily marketed, have touted their graphics in addition to their other features. Is the marketing for this game really so strident, or different at all from what's come before?

Look, I really don't have an opinion on this game yet. I don't even see the point in talking too much about games before they come out when you've got nothing to judge them on but their color schemes. But do I really have to spell it out for anyone how hypocritical* it is for a codexer to bash a game's graphics? Let's try and be a little consistent ffs.

*EDIT: Let me expand on the nature of the hypocrisy. It doesn't stem from the way we like games that look a lot worse. It stems from the way we make fun of other people for dissing the games that look a lot worse for having shitty graphics. There, I decided to spell it out after all.

Mech

Cipher
Yeesh said:
tehRPness said:
The point is that the graphics are all of the focus for marketing the game, instead of all the real elements that compose a game. If they can't even deliver a decent looking game despite using the word next-gen ad nauseam, Bethesda are bound to disappoint and make another shitty game that could otherwise have been a milestone.
What? You should read what you just wrote, because you seem to be saying that if the game doesn't look decent, Bethesda's going to disappoint and make a shitty game. Was that our primary complaint about Oblivion? That it didn't look decent? Is that a valid complaint at all, when apparently your standard for 'decent looking' is that of a full-fledged graphics whore?

Brother None said:

I hope you'll agree that Bethesda, makers of some of the most commercially and critically (yes) successful RPGs of the past decade, probably would disagree with the assessment that graphics is all this game has going for it. You know what they probably think the video is showing? Dragons, an open world, a variety of weapons and magic, immersive combat (leave me out of this, I'm just telling you what they're thinking), that sort of thing. And graphics too, of course.

But as far as touting graphics, surely you're a student of video game history. Surely you're aware that most computer games, or I believe I can say just about all computer games which have been heavily marketed, have touted their graphics in addition to their other features. Is the marketing for this game really so strident, or different at all from what's come before?

Look, I really don't have an opinion on this game yet. I don't even see the point in talking too much about games before they come out when you've got nothing to judge them on but their color schemes. But do I really have to spell it out for anyone how hypocritical* it is for a codexer to bash a game's graphics? Let's try and be a little consistent ffs.

*EDIT: Let me expand on the nature of the hypocrisy. It doesn't stem from the way we like games that look a lot worse. It stems from the way we make fun of other people for dissing the games that look a lot worse for having shitty graphics. There, I decided to spell it out after all.

You know what I love? People like this. :salute:

Textures are at the point where I don't really give a crap either way. OK, the road in the town looked a bit flat and the flowing water was a but subpar, but those are my only real objections. At this point I'm more interested in the the total amount of 'stuff' (so to speak) that you can have at once. Oblivion, for example, had to mutilate its cities to basically separate indoor areas with a skybox to fit in the console memory space. DA2 is going the route of stripping out every slightest detail from the environment to the point where grass goes from an animated model to green colored ground. But, the forest and city in that video did look pretty nice. If Skrim actually looks like that (and NPC models don't look like shit), then I'll hardly be able to fault the game on a technical level.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Overweight Manatee said:
Textures are at the point where I don't really give a crap either way. OK, the road in the town looked a bit flat and the flowing water was a but subpar, but those are my only real objections.

The trailer is off the 360. The PC master race will get high res textures.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Textures aren't worth nitpicking over. If Bethesda can pull their heads out of their ass and not do stupid level scaling of the entire world ala Oblivion, give us some kind of challenge encounters here and there, put a little more effort into the dungeons, make the main story tolerable and give us a healthy amount of fun side quests, I think the game can be of decent quality.

Much better than fucking DA2.

Lord Haw Haw

Educated
That was the Morrowind theme playing btw, jacked up to Basil Poledouris levels to get the Conan feel. Combine that with Max von Sydow's voiceover (also from Conan) and the Conan-like sword in the trailer and we could have an awsome game.

Verdict: T'is Bethesda. T'will suck musky cocks.

I hope to god the head bobbing in first person is really in though.

deuxhero

Arcane
Oh hey! That's Dark Messiah's Fireball animation in that video isn't it?

With the "throw oil at foes and light them on fire" thing we already knew, it's safe to safe Arkane is working on this game. I think that will mean regardless of how badly Bethesda screws up the lore, world design, story, graphics, engine and what-not, it will at least be a fun bout of mindless carnage like Dark Messiah was (though now that I said it).

turul

Augur
sgc_meltdown said:
No indication of the story or dialog. Maybe in the next trailer.

Story?

Let me look into the crystal ball:

- There will be a bunch of books about Skyrim and the dragons and the dragonslayers, and those books will be available at the book stores, which will be cheaper if you play with the persuasion orb on the dealer.
The big story will be on TesNexus naked mod download, how your character has a big hairy dick and it will be claimed, that Bethesda made the beta model like that accidentally.

Although, I do not close out the fact, that the story could be in the next trailer and it will fit into a 3 minute youtube video.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom