Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11

deuxhero

Arcane
Luzur said:
Wasn't Bethesda's excuse for lack of mounted combat in Oblivion engine issues? Wonder if it will appear in Skyrim with the new engine. Stuff I've read about Swedish cavalry ("rytteriet") is pretty cool.

what does Swedish Cavalry have to do with mounted combat in Skyrim's new engine?

Sweden was Norse land.

Luzur

Good Sir
i sincerely believe Bethesda will not be able to emulate mounted combat at the same level as we had back then.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Freelance Henchman said:
My impression is also that this guy is a habitual, completely unashamed liar who will say whatever it takes to get into the news and drum up interest in his games.
Todd actually seems to be quite sincere. Pete on the other hand... If you ask Howard about his favourite game, he will respond Ultima 7, Hines will be choosing between Oblivion and Fallout 3. When Todd was speaking about writing, he openly admitted it's not Bethesda's strongest point while Pete flatly claimed that, of all the games he played, Oblivion had one of the strongest storylines.

bat_boro

Arcane
racofer said:
noafq1.jpg

This... this is beautiful!

:shedingasingletear:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Luzur said:
i sincerely believe Bethesda will not be able to emulate mounted combat at the same level as we had back then.

They should just copy Mount & Blade, fuck if some small indie team can do it, Bethesda should too.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Turisas said:
Luzur said:

They should just copy Mount & Blade, fuck if some small indie team can do it, Bethesda should too.

Bethesda is too fucking stupid to ever be able to figure that out. It would take them 20 years.

roll-a-die

Magister
In terms of mount and blades combat engine, it's basically morrowinds with a momentum mechanic tacked on. Move left/gesture left=swing left, Move forward/gesture up=thrust move back/gesture down=chop. Again the only implementation that is different is the momentum based damage.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jaesun said:
Turisas said:
Luzur said:

Bethesda is too fucking stupid to ever be able to figure that out. It would take them 20 years.
And billions of dollars. Which could be a good marketing move:

Oblolivion 5 - the billion dollars game now with mounted combat, facebook integration and weekly DLC.

deuxhero

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
In terms of mount and blades combat engine, it's basically morrowinds with a momentum mechanic tacked on. Move left/gesture left=swing left, Move forward/gesture up=thrust move back/gesture down=chop. Again the only implementation that is different is the momentum based damage.

And player-skill blocking, ability to stun a foe, emphasis on reach, groups being a serious threat and it not sucking. But other than that, exactly like Morrowind...

Now Gothic with a momentum system is accurate.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Linden said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Are they talking about an Akavir invasion? For fuck's sake, how generic can you get.
I agree. That's one of the reasons Morrowind was so good compared to Oblivion - there was no stupid "invasion" going on.

Dagoth Ur was planning on overrunning the entire world. There was no ongoing "invasion" (other than random sleepers) but the story was as much about stopping an invasion as Oblivion was.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Admiral jimbob said:
(see Azura and the Box).

She didn't really lose. Her answer was correct at the time she gave it. The dwemer faggot cheated so she beat his ass solid like she should've.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Merkwürdigliebe said:
Well maybe Obsidian gets to make a spin off the title of it similar to what New Vegas was to Fo 3, that could potentially lead to a new decent Elderscrolls game. Something that hasn't been seen in years, and in years I don't mean five years.
I for one would gladly pay for an MCA remake of Morrowind, or a spin-off that's a sequel to Morrowind (thank god someone mentioned N going to Akavir, I forgot about it and MCA and crew could make some awesome stuff out of that).

The only thing worse than a Morrowind spin-off by Fagellone would be to have your balls crushed in a vice.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I'm hugely looking forward to this game.

I'll be interested to see how the levelling works this time. Bethesda had an inspired idea when they introduced the use-your-skills-and-you-get-stronger approach in Daggerfall. They haven't yet got it quite right, but they've gradually improved it through that and the succeeding two games.

This series has been the nearest approach to an RPG on a computer imo. (I mean single-player, with the computer as pseudo-GM, not counting MMOs.)

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Mastermind said:
Linden said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Are they talking about an Akavir invasion? For fuck's sake, how generic can you get.
I agree. That's one of the reasons Morrowind was so good compared to Oblivion - there was no stupid "invasion" going on.

Dagoth Ur was planning on overrunning the entire world. There was no ongoing "invasion" (other than random sleepers) but the story was as much about stopping an invasion as Oblivion was.
But it was in the background as opposed to "OMG demon gates are opening everywhere!" which makes all the difference.

DraQ

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
Mastermind said:
Linden said:
Admiral jimbob said:

But it was in the background as opposed to "OMG demon gates are opening everywhere!" which makes all the difference.
For example it doesn't allow "OMG Demons are burninating Kvatch!!1 I shall go spend a year collecting flowers for mah alchemy and maybe do some TG quests." type of scenarios.

Then again, I don't expect Mastermind to be capable of grasping such subtleties, call it a hunch.
:smug:

Tails

Arbiter
Sceptic said:
Even Morrowind had some pretty fun stuff in the books. Then Oblivion came along and made it all PG-13. :x
Weren't those books in the Morrowind just copy-pasta from Daggerfall? Also Morrowind books were censored, disposed of adult Daggerfall theme if I recall good.

dolio

Scholar
SerratedBiz said:
I'll be interested to see how the levelling works this time. Bethesda had an inspired idea when they introduced the use-your-skills-and-you-get-stronger approach in Daggerfall. They haven't yet got it quite right, but they've gradually improved it through that and the succeeding two games.
Have they? I don't remember Oblivion being different than Morrowind in this regard. The main change to the skills system was that they removed a bunch of them.

The most obvious improvement they could make would be to steal from the mods that make your stats and level gradually increase along with skills, rather than requiring you to grind and rest strategically to get better level ups.

DraQ

Arcane
Tails said:
Sceptic said:
Even Morrowind had some pretty fun stuff in the books. Then Oblivion came along and made it all PG-13. :x
Weren't those books in the Morrowind just copy-pasta from Daggerfall? Also Morrowind books were censored, disposed of adult Daggerfall theme if I recall good.
Indeed, Daggerfall copypasta was censored and Morrowind avoided overt adult themes. But then there was stuff like Lessons of Vivec, with only thinly veiled descriptions of stuff like oral rape as means of shutting someone up.

So, yeah, except not really.

dolio said:
The most obvious improvement they could make would be to steal from the mods that make your stats and level gradually increase along with skills, rather than requiring you to grind and rest strategically to get better level ups.
No, the MOST obvious improvement would be to actually factor in the difficulty when improving skills - and make actual skill XP gain proportional to chance of success on failure and proportional to chance of failure on success.

Of course, this would require reintroducing failure to the system, rather than making it exclusive to the game design.

dolio

Scholar
DraQ said:
dolio said:
No, the MOST obvious improvement would be to actually factor in the difficulty when improving skills - and make actual skill XP gain proportional to chance of success on failure and proportional to chance of failure on success.

Of course, this would require reintroducing failure to the system, rather than making it exclusive to the game design.
Wouldn't that just be rolling it back to Morrowind? I mean, yeah, that was a step in the wrong direction. I guess I was thinking of improvements that they hadn't previously done correctly, and then screwed up. :)

DraQ

Arcane
dolio said:
DraQ said:
dolio said:

Wouldn't that just be rolling it back to Morrowind? I mean, yeah, that was a step in the wrong direction. I guess I was thinking of improvements that they hadn't previously done correctly, and then screwed up. :)
Well, it's hard to have a skill system that works correctly without introducing failure. They should mostly roll back, implement obvious fixes, some extra stuff like miss/dodge animations and critical failures, then think how to improve on that (like "how to calculate failure/success probability equivalent in a more complex system?"). If you can't fail, then the difference between different skill levels become purely quantitative, rather than qualitative. With failure, the difference is only statistically quantitative, which is of little help to the player being raped by troll.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
DraQ said:
Dicksmoker said:
Mastermind said:
Linden said:
Admiral jimbob said:

For example it doesn't allow "OMG Demons are burninating Kvatch!!1 I shall go spend a year collecting flowers for mah alchemy and maybe do some TG quests." type of scenarios.

Then again, I don't expect Mastermind to be capable of grasping such subtleties, call it a hunch.

Dumb fucking faggot,

the discussion was about the story being generic. That it's in the background (like the other faggot said) or that it's poorly implemented like you pointed out is irrelevant because neither point has any fucking thing to do with the post I was responding to. Someone whined that an invasion would be generic. Some other faggot praised morrowind for not having a story about an invasion when it actually did. Get it?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Mastermind said:
the discussion was about the story being generic. That it's in the background (like the other faggot said) or that it's poorly implemented like you pointed out is irrelevant because neither point has any fucking thing to do with the post I was responding to. Someone whined that an invasion would be generic. Some other faggot praised morrowind for not having a story about an invasion when it actually did. Get it?
Does an invastion actually happen in Oblivion? yes. Is the invasion actually happening a large part of the plot? yes. Therefore Oblivion story is about an invasion.

Does an invasion actually happen in Morrowind? no. Is the invasion being prepared? yes. Is the invasion actually happening part of the plot? no, because it isn't happening. Is the plot even focused on that not-happening-yet invasion? no, it's focused on Nerevar, Azura, Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, and their relationships. Therefore Morrowind story is in fact not about an invasion.
Mastermind fails at logic. How ironic :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom