Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11

attackfighter

Magister
just for fun I shall deconstruct this poorly written manure

Erzherzog said:
In Morrowind Dagoth Ur has planted agents all over Vvardenfell

planting agents =/= invasion

conquered many ancient outposts

he conquered one outpost

has bases planted near all the major cities that are covertly attacking the local populaces

bs
and some people want to argue that Vvardenfell is not being invaded?

you listed 3 things 2 of which aren't true, the 3rd of which is irrelevant

Just because they're not identical does not mean that there is not an invasion plotline is present

he is planning invasion <- big difference

Dagoth Ur is not planning to invade

you just went full retard

he's already invading and planning the more advanced stages of his invasion

oh you mean his planting agents and "conquering" the many made up outposts is now an invasion? or is it the fantasy you convince yourself of every single day...
I mean hell, he already controls everything inside the Ghostgate and much that is outside of it.

and you are living in perpetual denial my friend.

DraQ

Arcane
attackfighter said:
conquered many ancient outposts

he conquered one outpost
Historically belonging to House Dagoth and abandoned ever since the fall of House Dagoth for more lulz.

Though this is not exactly true, as Sixth House claimed two other strongholds as well. Still given that the strongholds ring has been abandoned and individual strongholds taken over by anyone seeing fit to occupy them, including groups bandits, witches/warlocks and even lesser daedra, it doesn't really count as conquest if you claim three abandoned piles of rubble, one of which was yours to begin with.

Hostile actions undertaken by Sixth House outside of the Ghostfence aren't any more of an invasion than islamic terrorism is an invasion from arab countries.

Ermm

Erudite
DraQ said:
Rasputin said:
I like openendiness in Morrowind, but I hate that everything there was just so barren and lifeless
Now that I think of it I regret not having trolled the 'dex back when
I joined by posting how I liked C&C in Fallout but hated that everything there was just so barren and lifeless.

What a shame.

But still, quests were horrible, especially in thieves guild.
10 Quests in a row you didn't do anything else than steal jewels from a shop.

genci88

Educated
Holy shit. 9 pages discussing Skyrim; a game that was just announced on Spike TV.

I thought you guys were better than this when I joined. :(

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
dr. one said:
attackfighter said:
Actually attackfighter made some valid points, even if I don't agree with his aggressiveness. You cannot talk about an invasion until his troops start taking over provinces other than Morrowind, and that's something he's done exactly zero steps to further by the time the game ends. The only thing he was doing that would help him with that goal was building Numidium II, and that was still a long way off. And of course there's the fact that spying and planting sleeper agents =/= invasion. To compare to Oblivion: the invasion doesn't happen when the Mythic Dawn meet, or when when the Camorans plot, or even when the Emperor gets assassinated. The invasion starts when the first Oblivion portal opens AND daedra start pouring out of it, destroying Kvatch.

(that the invasion also stops there and kindly waits for you to complete almost the entirety of the MQ while taking your time to pick daisies nirnroot is another matter entirely)

genci88 said:
Holy shit. 9 pages discussing Skyrim; a game that was just announced on Spike TV.

I thought you guys were better than this when I joined. :(

Are you blind, or did you just not notice that the thread promptly derailed after a couple pages into a general Elder Scrolls/Morrowind lore discussion? As do half of all threads dealing with Oblivion that go past a page.

Erzherzog

Magister
attackfighter said:
Erzherzog said:
All you've done is post a wikipedia definition of a term and if you can't see how Dagoth Ur's actions fit within that definition then you really don't have any place in this conversation.

And yes, what Dagoth Ur did and what Mehrunes Dagon did are different in some ways, pretty sure that's already been pointed out by a few people.

ok mr. smarty pants, if you truely are as brilliant as you say you are then you will have no problem explaining how wikipedia's definition of an invasion doesn't exclude your little drug addled recollection of dagoth ur's actions

Well, the fact that Dagoth Ur controls the region within Ghostgate, sovereign Morrowind territory pretty much speaks for itself.

And the rest is written like Volly channeling the spirit of VD. Splendidly ridiculous.

he conquered one outpost

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:House_Dagoth

Lists 25 bases.

Wowwowow! What an amazing deconstruction! Doesn't even take the time to write out "bullshit" but I guess my statement is so obviously wrong..oh wait.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Assemanu

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Hassour

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Subdun

Clearing all 3 of those bases removes NPCs from Dagoth's control.

you listed 3 things 2 of which aren't true, the 3rd of which is irrelevant

You didn't even argue that the first point was untrue, you stated is was exaggerated. Having trouble keeping track of your own statements?

he is planning invasion <- big difference

He's also actively invading.

Dagoth Ur is not planning to invade

you just went full retard

Oh ffs, you've now broken up my sentences in half to attempt to argue against them. Are you aware how hilariously retarded that is? Does anyone happen to have a copy of that post someone made that made fun of VD's arguing against someone by criticizing it word by word?

oh you mean his planting agents and "conquering" the many made up outposts is now an invasion? or is it the fantasy you convince yourself of every single day...

Wikipedia said:
An invasion is a military offensive consisting of all, or large parts of the armed forces of one geopolitical entity aggressively entering territory controlled by another such entity, generally with the objective of either conquering, liberating or re-establishing control or authority over a ...

Well, considering the bases he took are part of the territory of Morrowind, yes. Yes, I do consider conquering that territory to be an invasion. If you would want to argue that point then fine, but right now you're spitting out petty insults and calling it "deconstruction"

attackfighter

Magister
Erzherzog said:
... it's not that there's a difference in concept... that seperates Morrowind and Oblivion.

attackfighter said:
the concept of Dagoth Ur biding his time and slowly infiltrating Morrowind over the course of thousands of years is quite different than the concept of Demons invading Tamriel overnight.

argue over trivialities all you like you've yet to address my REAL arguement fool

Erzherzog

Magister
Why bring them up if they were mere trivialities then? You realized the foolishness of all your statements so you simply hide behind the one statement I didn't respond to negatively? Your "real" statement doesn't matter anyways. The argument is whether Morrowind's story counts as an invasion storyline, not whether it and Oblivion's a nearly identical.

As I already said, the difference lies in the execution. Dagoth Ur spent many years (about 500 compared to your statement of thousands.) Mehrunes Dagon was able to set up an invasion in a decade or two. They're both in the process of invading.

Ammar

Scholar
...considering that Dagoth Ur is a major noble and part of the original Chimer/Dunmer culture he can't really be considered an invader, especially because he does not bring any outside forces to the conflict (unlike the Tribunal which works and is park of an foreign empire). So it's not an invasion but more a not classic civil war - one being fought mostly covertly and through mystic means.

It is true that Dagoth Ur's plans seem to include taking over the rest of the Empire, which would be a more classical invasion. Especially considering his giant golem (whas is with TES and giant golems, anyway?).

Data4

Arcane
Data4 said:
Linden said:
To lighten up the mood a little (don't know if this has been posted here before):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgoIUu1evHA

It's an 8-bit version of the Morrowind theme. Somehow it ends up sounding delightfully demented and tragically noble at the same time.

Check this out. It's pretty cool, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG_fV0r4 ... re=related

Bonus lulz in the description :lol:

That...back in the day I practically lived in Vvardenfell. Playing it on the original Xbox religiously, then hearing about all the awesome mods on the PC version is what got me interested in computer gaming in the first place.

This orchestral version of the theme is fucking awesome. :D

Callaxes

Arbiter
Erzherzog said:
Oh ffs, you've now broken up my sentences in half to attempt to argue against them. Are you aware how hilariously retarded that is? Does anyone happen to have a copy of that post someone made that made fun of VD's arguing against someone by criticizing it word by word?

Bwahaha, I was thinking the same thing!

Vault Dweller said:
racofer said:
AndhairaX said:
Vaultdweller must be pretty pissed no one has mentioned him yet.

Imagine Skyway. Now strip him of his lulzy one liners, increase bitching by a factor of 10, increase post size by a factor of 100, increase quotes per post by a factor of 10, add pretentious smart comebacks for whatever you say to him, no matter how stupid the comeback is.

There, you got VD.
I take it I accidentally shat in your cereal. My apologies.

racofer said:
Vault Dweller said:
Yes, we're talking about you.
What did you take? You admit to have deliberately taken something from someone?
Moar liek ITZ.
Yes, I've already said we're talking about you. You do you need to bring your ego into discussion twice?
accidentally
Of course. Never take full responsibility for your actions.
See? You are full of it.
So not only you admit to shit into other people's meals, you also take the time to do it in it instead of simply doing it on it?
What? You made a sentence mentioning someone else other than yourself? Improvement!
Penguin Puffs to be more precise.
Oh, never mind about what I said earlier. There's your ego again.
apologies
After deliberately admitting your vile deed, you have the guts to try to apologize? Wow...

DraQ

Arcane
Sixth House isn't invading yet. It's merely infiltrating. Most Dagoth bases outside the Ghostfence are barely more than hideouts. Most are just caves, three have been established in crumbling, abandoned strongholds.
They are used to gather intelligence, sow dissent using conventional and magical means, and perform terrorist acts and assassinations. Sixth house has a lot of agents outside the Ghostfence, but little actual muscle. Sixth house isn't spilling its troops to storm Ghostgate and conquer Morrowind by force, it's trickling small groups of operatives through passages below its ancestral stronghold Kogoruhn to man hidden bases and recruit agents amongst the disaffected subpopulations.

It's terrorist/spy tactics, not open act of war a invasion would be.

Rasputin said:
But still, quests were horrible, especially in thieves guild.
10 Quests in a row you didn't do anything else than steal jewels from a shop.
Well, no.

Sure, you do have to steal a lot in the Thieves Guild (go figure) but there is often much freedom involved in procuring the necessary items, including both non-scripted solutions, like obtaining the item somewhere else, and scripted ones like bribing someone for the key, there is also blackmailing, investigation, information gathering, diplomacy, establishing contacts, a dungeon crawl or two and a couple of murders.

attackfighter

Magister
hey everyone my japanese rape simulator is conceptually the same as morrowind, because they're both about invasions (pussy invasion that is)! The only difference is how they were impolemented HURRRRRRR

attackfighter said:
hey everyone my japanese rape simulator is conceptually the same as morrowind, because they're both about invasions (pussy invasion that is)! The only difference is how they were impolemented HURRRRRRR

But yours stopped at rough handling of the breasts, molesting the clitoris and only a few furtive pokes at the promised land. I don't think we can classify that as an actual invasion. More like 'testing the defenses'. Your rape sim is fail, and so is this comparison!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Good one, Genma

laugh.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom