Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elderborn - A Dark Messiah spiritual sucessor (apparently)

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist

• No Magic/Stealth
  • Player unable to pickup/throw physics objects,
  • Environmental hazards don't seem anything more than your usual pressure plate dart traps (no rope bridges to cut, fire pits made by smashing oil jars, etc.)
  • Movement keys have no influence on the direction your weapon swings. (tap m1 for light attack animation, hold m1 for heavy attack animation, same as Skyrim)
Would be better to say it's trying to be DOOM 2016 with swords rather than be proper DM sucessor.

Last edited:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
  • No Magic/Stealth
  • Player unable to pickup/throw physics objects,
  • Environmental hazards don't seem anything more than your usual pressure plate dart traps (no rope bridges to cut, fire pits made by smashing oil jars, etc.)
  • Movement keys have no influence on the direction your weapon swings. (tap m1 for light attack animation, hold m1 for heavy attack animation, same as Skyrim)
Would be better to say it's trying to be DOOM 2016 with swords rather than be proper DM sucessor.

Man! Such disappoint! I guess "spiritual successors" are happy being half the game the original was.. -_-

ColCol

Arcane
SO I got this because I wanted a something akin to a light conan themed slasher. The graphics are great. but the game lacks personality. You, for example. start in a cookie-cutter skeleton dungeon. Along with this the story seems tacked on (no big deal, but why bother then?). Combat is souls like (nothing original), but within a short while, it seems like they are going to use cheap challenges. One of the first "real" areas just bombards you with like six enemies at once (And each can kill you in like two hits). The skill tree system is small and offers very little. Overall, not really worth the purchase.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The graphics are great. but the game lacks personality.

Sums up the UE4/Unity indie-plague aptly.

It's as if people forgot, that games do not need good graphics, but should aim for a consistent and decent lookin art style that fit their theme.

This "brutal and gorey"-game looks way too cartoonish and bland to be even considered "dark". I actually had to think of Torchlight 2 as soon as I saw the catacombs / sewer segment in the second video. And that's certainly not a game you want to be compared with, when it comes to art style (because its fucking bad).

Unironically, completely soulless.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
Eh, I've seen worse. It's the Blizzard/Warcraft school of naming things. Just put two words together and call it a day. "Elderborn" sounds like the hero of the game out of womb looking like an old geezer.

Krilmar

Educated
Has someone played this and can describe it ?
If you are expecting DMoMaM 2 you'll be really disappointed. The only thing they have in common is that're FP melee and they both ha a kick button. Didn't find the kick very satisfying anyway, there are a bunch of weapons but only a 2-3 are worth using, the "rpg progression" is very forgettable and it's very short, 4-6 hours for a playthrough. Also, there are no physic objects..

Retardo

Learned
Bought it last week after seeing two potatomen praise it on their channel and played for about 2 hours.

Well, first, it's definitely not Dark Mesiiah, or any Arcane-developed game.
Second, it's good.

It basically is an arcade-y slasher, like Enclave, but in first person and styled after Conan the Barbarian and similar movies of 80s-90s or some other fantasy trash.
The level design is linear, but locations are varied and have good vistas. I've seen only four weapons - sword, hammer, spear and sickles, all of them has its usage and handles quite differently. Combat is, well, interesting - there are ranged enemies, slow shielded enemies, fast assaulting enemies, dodgy ones, and all that. You can block or parry, latter requiring you to watch for animations and get into attack frames. Kick is used both for disabling enemies block and pushing them from the edge or into traps.

The Dark Souls influence is limited to enemy resurrection on death/checkpoint healing, and recovering EXP lost on death.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So first steam review:

Only buy under heavy discount - game is only 2.5 hours long. just enough to get it out of the refund range

Not looking good Tom.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Not looking good Tom.
It took me a day and a half. I spend a long time searching for a missed key, returning to starting area to grind challenges and weapon proficiencies and in general Elderborn difficulty before the last one slowed me down enough for it to be challenging in places.

I don't know if its blatant plagiarism or homage
Its hommage but a pretty bad one. Their Smaug is too copy-pasted in his design, right down to details like being man eater in the lore.

Silly Germans

Has someone played this and can describe it ?
If you are expecting DMoMaM 2 you'll be really disappointed. The only thing they have in common is that're FP melee and they both ha a kick button. Didn't find the kick very satisfying anyway, there are a bunch of weapons but only a 2-3 are worth using, the "rpg progression" is very forgettable and it's very short, 4-6 hours for a playthrough. Also, there are no physic objects..
Good to know, i'll skip this.

Takamori

Learned
Welp there goes my hopes and dreams of DMoMaM 2. Will follow the trend and skip too, also 2.5 hours is damn short for a game, those devs are trying to follow the garbage game journo opinion where games are too long for then since they feel miserable playing video games?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks nice, it is also on sale on GOG ATM. Not sure if i'll buy it now or at some point later (i already spent a bit too much recently) but judging from GmanLives' video it sounds like they improved the game since the original release. It'd be better if he mentioned what exactly changed since then though since he said that initially he wouldn't pay much attention to it but now he likes it, so it would be helpful to know how valid some criticisms you can read online are in the newest version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom