Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Electronic Arts returns to Steam

I hope that Dragon Age 2 comes with all the DLC. Engorges my autism glands when they don't sell a complete package years after the fact, like as far as I'm aware Mass Effect 2 and 3 don't have a complete bundle even though EA's got a Mass Effect trilogy pack on Origin. And yet Inquisition inexplicably has a complete edition so I actually bought it. For $5 during a sale, but I bought it regardless.
All classic origin games(including ME1/2, DA:O, DA2) have their DLC available for free.
https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/download-dlc-for-classic-origin-games/
Well I'll be goddamned. That's surprising coming from EA, thanks for that!

ultimanecat

Arcane
Am I remembering right? BioWare used to distribute DLC as executables but obviously it required a key or something to activate...

So aren’t those just the old executables that still require activation (i.e. paying for them?).

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I kind of skimmed it, but I didn't see any mention about whether the Origin client will be required or if the integration is optional.

It's required. On Fallen Order's Steam page:

EA on-line activation and Origin client software installation and background use required.

DICE community guy feels pride and accomplishments in this:

So, since they are going to sell subscription I guess there are high chance that more classic games will be released too?

So basically it's the same thing as with Ubisoft games, where you can buy the games on steam but also need a separate APP(Uplay/Origin) to run them.

Yeah, if I still need another launcher and it still has to run in the background I'll just use that launcher and save myself one layer of bullshit. It's an entirely academic argument though since there's zero chance I'll have interest any EA games, but still.

Dux

Arcane
Let's just say I have an aneurysm and decide to buy Mass Effect 3 or some shit on Steam. Hypothetically, I also happen to use GOG Galaxy 2.0 to connect to my Steam library. Doesn't this mean that when I launch Mass Effect 3 from GOG 2.0, it launches Steam, which in turn launches Origin?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Let's just say I have an aneurysm and decide to buy Mass Effect 3 or some shit on Steam. Hypothetically, I also happen to use GOG Galaxy 2.0 to connect to my Steam library. Doesn't this mean that when I launch Mass Effect 3 from GOG 2.0, it launches Steam, which in turn launches Origin?
This really sounds terrible if you say it out loud.

Modron

Arcane
Best part will be when you try to launch it through origin and cut out all the middlemen it will probably still have to launch steam before origin will run it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I've never understood why anyone would want that, but enough people have screamed at me "I WANT THAT" to make me believe it. I guess if you treat Steam (or GOG 2.0) as your complete all-in-one game hub then you just want everything there regardless.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Best part will be when you try to launch it through origin and cut out all the middlemen it will probably still have to launch steam before origin will run it.

Perhaps one day we'll see a 'EA returns to GOG' thread and can tell the middleman to go Fuck himself.

But probably not. GOG's too busy releasin' barely-there-ware and interactive schoolbooks for gender fluid 12 year olds.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But probably not. GOG's too busy releasin' barely-there-ware and interactive schoolbooks for gender fluid 12 year olds.

Like they wouldn't release the new Star Wars game if they could? GOG can't force corporations to release AAA games there, so indies is what they've got.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Like they wouldn't release the new Star Wars game if they could? GOG can't force corporations to release AAA games there, so indies is what they've got.

That's why I put in words like 'perhaps' and 'probably not'. That 1% thread of hope is the last thing keeping me from saying fuck PC gaming and turning myself into a console blob.

But I see what you did there with the whole 'force' a release of the Star Wars game thing. Clever.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That's why I put in words like 'perhaps' and 'probably not'. That 1% thread of hope is the last thing keeping me from saying fuck PC gaming and turning myself into a console blob.

Since account and client-based DRM obviously isn't going anywhere and there's no point boycotting anymore, why not buy the games and then "pirate" DRM free backups? I'd much rather you did that then switch to consoles where you'll get a worse experience and hurt our platform.

hexer

There's a huge countdown banner on Steam and both the vanilla and the deluxe versions of Jedi Fallen Order are top two Steam sellers.
The decline is back!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
IIRC the last time I saw a countdown on the front page it was the official launch of PUBG. Another sign of big deals between Valve and EA I guess.

Irata

Scholar
This looks like EA is crawling back, but since we don't know the terms of their agreement Valve may be giving EA a real sweetheart of a deal. Perhaps Valve is proactively snatching up publishers before Epic does. However, I suspect it is EA needing to boost their revenue.

Will be interesting to see if Activision comes back as well.

Perhaps one day we'll see a 'EA returns to GOG' thread and can tell the middleman to go Fuck himself.

Again, we don't know the content of these deals. Perhaps Gog is the one being unreasonable. After all, Gog needs EA more than EA needs Gog.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The flood of "OMG THIS USES ORIGIN STILL" posts on the Steam forums make my dick hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom