Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Electronic Arts returns to Steam

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I said elsewhere I'd easier believe this was a periodic reassessment of their exchange rates and conversions, rather than anything related to Steam specifically, but who knows.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They're going to sell EA Access (the subscription thing) on Steam. This will make it more attractive I guess.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200604005645/en/

Electronic Arts Launches 25+ Games on Steam Starting Today
EA Access Subscription Service Arrives for Steam Players Later this Summer

Steam-EA---16x9.jpg

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) launched the first wave of 25+ EA games on Steam, with more on the way. Starting today, players can explore BioWare™’s award-winning Role-Playing Games - Dragon Age: Inquisition and Dragon Age II, experience high-speed, white-knuckle driving action in Need for Speed Heat, Need for Speed: Rivals and Need for Speed (2016) and battle it out in the wacky, fun and over-the-top shooter, Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville™. A selection of the bold and innovative games from EA’s indie development partners like Unravel, Unravel II, Fe and Sea of Solitude will also become available. Additionally, these games and many others will be available as part of an EA Access subscription on Steam that will launch to players later this summer.

“We want to make it easy to play the games you love, wherever you want to play. Delivering games to the Steam community is an important step in achieving this goal,” said Mike Blank, SVP, Strategic Growth. “Not only are we excited to have our games on Steam, but we look forward to bringing them even more value when our subscription becomes available in the Summer.”

New EA games developed for PC will also launch on Steam alongside other platforms, including the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection which launches tomorrow, providing mod support with the Steam Workshop as this game is one of the first major RTS franchises to open source their source code under the GPL. The compilation, which was made for and with the help of the community, is comprised of Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn, Command & Conquer: Red Alert and their three expansion packs - Covert Ops, Counterstrike and The Aftermath.

EA Access* gives members access to a broad portfolio of EA games, valuable member benefits and discounts on full EA game purchases, expansions and in-game items. EA has been offering subscription services since 2014, and currently reaches players on the Xbox One, PlayStation®4 and Origin platforms. For more information on EA’s subscription services, please visit www.ea.com/subscribe. More information on games bound for Steam coming soon.

*CONDITIONS, LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS APPLY. SEE EA.COM/EA-ACCESS/TERMS AND EA.COM/EA-ACCESS FOR DETAILS.

About Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA) is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. The Company develops and delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, mobile devices and personal computers.

In fiscal year 2019, EA posted GAAP net revenue of $4.95 billion. Headquartered in Redwood City, California, EA is recognized for a portfolio of critically acclaimed, high-quality brands such as EA SPORTS™ FIFA, Battlefield™, Apex Legends™, The Sims™, Madden NFL, Need for Speed™, Titanfall™ and Plants vs. Zombies™. More information about EA is available at http://www.ea.com/news.

EA SPORTS, Battlefield, Apex Legends, The Sims, Need for Speed, Titanfall, Plants vs. Zombies are trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. STAR WARS © & TM Lucasfilm Ltd. John Madden, FIFA and NFL are property of their respective owners and used with permission.

Games posted by Belegarsson here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-releases-thread.45906/page-1005#post-6735584

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope that Dragon Age 2 comes with all the DLC. Engorges my autism glands when they don't sell a complete package years after the fact, like as far as I'm aware Mass Effect 2 and 3 don't have a complete bundle even though EA's got a Mass Effect trilogy pack on Origin. And yet Inquisition inexplicably has a complete edition so I actually bought it. For $5 during a sale, but I bought it regardless.

Yes, if we're lucky the Steam releases will be EA's excuse to finally bundle and discount those ridiculously priced BioWare DLCs in a Complete Edition for each game. (inb4 they release them separately like it was still 2011)

honkhonk.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Big parade of EA coming back to Steam, but they all work through Origin anyway so all you're doing is adding another DRM and client on top of DRM and client. You could have been launching Origin games through Steam this whole time, it's silly. Still, I'm sure achievement nuts are happy.

Drakron

Arcane
I wonder if Mass Erect Effect 3 will be added as well all that DLC that was put behind BioWare Social Club.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if Mass Erect Effect 3 will be added as well all that DLC that was put behind BioWare Social Club.

There's been ME2 and ME3 DLC bundles on Origin for a while now. Also if you bought them on Bioware's site back in the day they seamlessly transferred to Origin.

Neroon

Novice
Was considering re-buying DA2&DAI, which I only own on console so far when reading this thread.
Then when going to Steam I saw that they still require you to have Origin installed and running like the Ubisoft games with UPlay. So thanks, but no thanks EA. Guess I'll wait until they cave and put them on GOG.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Guess I'll wait until they cave and put them on GOG.

They haven't put anything remotely new-ish on GOG in a long ass time. Honestly, given how these require Origin on Steam, I'd guess they just will never bother removing Origin integration from them. I think removing client integration is a bigger hurdle for GOG releases than the DRM aspect is.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The original version of Dragon Age II didn't have Origin integration and that's probably true for many of these other games as well.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The original version of Dragon Age II didn't have Origin integration and that's probably true for most of these other games as well.

DA2 used some kind of activation DRM, and also with the DLCs, which I believe was switched to Origin. I recently replayed it and all the DLCs went through Origin now, as opposed to Bioware's "social network" or whatever it was called. It's all routed through the same EA system now. You're right though that some stuff on Steam now like Crysis 2 doesn't require or use Origin at all apparently.

Dexter

Arcane
Why are people unironically talking about buying DA2? It's one of the worst games I've ever played. Like, go take a nailgun and shoot nails into your leg or something, it's probably more fun.

urmom

Learned
A dumb question probably, but do origin and uplay go away if you uninstall the games that require them, or do you have to uninstall them separately? Is it possible to have origin or uplay on your PC and not know it?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
A dumb question probably, but do origin and uplay go away if you uninstall the games that require them, or do you have to uninstall them separately? Is it possible to have origin or uplay on your PC and not know it?
I think both of them were separately confirmed as having rootkits at one point or another. If not actual rootkits, then just hiding stuff deep inside your Windows folder that uninstalling doesn't remove. Oh, and watching your browser history.

Semiurge

Cipher
Perhaps one day we'll see a 'EA returns to GOG' thread and can tell the middleman to go Fuck himself.

Not until EA has to take the knee and kiss GOG's ring.

Big parade of EA coming back to Steam, but they all work through Origin anyway so all you're doing is adding another DRM and client on top of DRM and client. You could have been launching Origin games through Steam this whole time, it's silly. Still, I'm sure achievement nuts are happy.

Expanding their Steam libaries with games that can be bought DRM-free even, is a hobby in itself for those sickos. They care so much for having all their games in one "convenient" location they're willing to put up with resource hogging DRM clients, and achievements are nothing but little treats the companies throw at us, to condition us
into obedient consumers much like pets in agility training.

Why are people unironically talking about buying DA2? It's one of the worst games I've ever played. Like, go take a nailgun and shoot nails into your leg or something, it's probably more fun.

If something is harder to acquire, people will generally want it more. Jumping through EA's hoops is increased difficulty, and I'm sure that some will be fooled into thinking that DA2 is a masterpiece because EA isn't giving it away for free.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

It's an extremely flawed game, mostly because of its insanely rushed production, but I'd take it over a lot of generic open world bullshit that gets praised all the time lately.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200611005755/en/Great-EA-Games-Steam-Today

More Great EA Games Available on Steam Today
Command & Conquer Remastered Collection Charts as the Top Globally Selling Game on Steam During its Launch Weekend

EA_Steam_wave2_1920x1080.jpg

Today, players can experience modern day warfare in Battlefield 3™ and Battlefield 4™ or the WWI and WWII battles of the past in Battlefield™ 1 and Battlefield V respectively. Watch the new trailer.

Players can also fight for humanity as Commander Shepard in Mass Effect™ 3 or visit new worlds as Sara or Scott Ryder in Mass Effect Andromeda. In addition, players can play as iconic Star Wars characters and with the incredible Star Wars™ vehicles in Star Wars™ Battlefront™ I and Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II.

Last Friday, the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection was the second new EA game to launch on Steam to great success, reaching the top game globally on Steam best-selling charts during its launch weekend. Here’s what the critics have to say:

"Command & Conquer Remastered is a fantastic revival of two genre-defining games"
– PC World

"25 years later, Command & Conquer's still got it."
– USGamer

“a stone-cold classic that now holds its own against modern strategy games”
– Digital Foundry

Last weekend, EA games also had five games appear in the top 10 of the Steam best-selling charts with their first wave of titles released on Steam last Thursday, giving players the opportunity to explore the fantastical worlds of the BioWare™ award-winning Role-Playing Games - Dragon Age™: Inquisition and Dragon Age II and experience high-speed, white-knuckle driving action in Need for Speed™ Heat, Need for Speed: Rivals and Need for Speed (2016). Players can also battle it out in the wacky, fun and over-the-top shooter, Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville™, or play from a selection of the bold and innovative games from EA’s indie development partners like Unravel, Unravel II, Fe and Sea of Solitude.

This month, Electronic Arts is bringing 25+ EA games to Steam that will also be available as part of an EA Access subscription on Steam that arrives later this summer. EA Access enhances your gaming experience with a medley of rewards and library of great games. Get the red-carpet treatment with exclusive catalog-wide discounts, and in-game member benefits for some of our biggest franchises.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-releases-thread.45906/page-1007#post-6749026

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I refuse to believe that press release wasn't made by someone taking the piss. You can't stick that many into a press release and expect anyone to read that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom