Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Electronic Arts returns to Steam

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Been a premium subscriber since last year
why
FIFA and Battlefield.

It's cheaper than buying both standalone and you get extra content.
have you considered playing better games?
Many times. But I enjoy FIFA. And Battlefield isn't completely shit.
povertyball is pretty gay tbh, don't they have a hockey game?
NHL hasn't made its long-awaited return to PC yet, but with the upcoming crapegg game coming to Steam in a week it's hopefully just a matter of time.

6Akb8fT.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-met-with-immediate-mostly-negative-reception

Titanfall surprise launches on Steam - is met with immediate "Mostly Negative" reception

Titanfall surprise-launched on Steam last night - and it was met with an immediate "Mostly Negative" reception.

Respawn's multiplayer-only shooter came out in 2014, and six years later it seems it is barely playable on PC not because of a dwindling playerbase, but because players can't actually play it.

Customers are reporting the game's servers are pretty much broken, and players are often kicked from multiplayer matchmaking. Even those who do manage to get into matchmaking are finding issues with the game thinking they don't have all the DLC map packs installed when they do.

The video below reveals the typical experience of playing Titanfall on PC right now:

"Respawn/EA are basically selling us broken abandonware on Steam," one irate Steam user, Matoro Zeliph said in a review.

"Sadly, the audio does not work and 9 out of the 10 times I clicked play it booted me to the main menu," added Steam user Elemental.

"The 1 time I did manage to get into the training, which I played through with a static-y noise every time a sound was supposed to happen. I restarted the game hoping that would help, which it didn't.

"I'm really hoping this will get fixed either by Respawn themselves or with someone finding out how to fix it. If that happens, I'm 100 per cent certain the gameplay will hold up to this day and I'll swap this over to a recommended review instantly."

The issue is exacerbated because Titanfall is an online-only game. Its story is told through multiplayer. Even its tutorial is played online.

jpg

Titanfall is not going down well on Steam.

So what's going on? Users on reddit familiar with Titanfall on PC spoke of an infamous hacker who has for some time now used a script to boot players from matchmaking.

"It's been going on for years and I just verified that it's still a problem," redditor capn_hector said.

"Respawn is just putting abandonware on steam and hoping that a few per cent of the players don't refund it."

This is not a new issue, either. Here's a post from redditor Hiticonic - dated a year ago - that details the same problem:

"Right now the game is basically unplayable and this has been going on for many months. Through simple exploits in the Titanfall servers and clients this person can crash game servers, end matches early and crash game clients. Slowly the playerbase has been dwindling even more because it's simply not fun to crash out over and over again. Respawn should either fix the game and servers or enable the dev console and release server binaries if they don't have the resources to fix these issues."

I've had a go at playing Titanfall through Steam this morning, and I have to say it's a broken mess. As well as blisteringly-loud audio static bursting through my headset, I can't even get into the training. I can't start the campaign because it wants me to do the training, and it won't connect. My one success at jumping into a multiplayer game booted me out after about 10 seconds.

It's a shame Titanfall was released on Steam in this state, as it probably hobbles any chance of reviving the playerbase for the game. Titanfall does not show up in Valve's official top 100 games by concurrent player count right now. Hopefully now the game has launched on Steam, Respawn will sort its online out so people can actually play the game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Steam sells a ton of shit that's not functional without fan patches or tweaks. It's different with a multiplayer only game though, obviously. Just saying Valve pay zero attention to this stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom