Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ELEX II announced

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
ELEX is more of a local meme than anything. The only good thing about it, is the traditional free-form world design e.g. (go anywhere, when you want), otherwise it's pretty shitty.

- janky movement/controls
- console UI
- outdated graphics
- bland factions
- mediocre MMO-tier crap loot
- boring combat
- HP bloat
- €50 overpriced price tag

The truth is that this mediocre console RPG would have been shat on and torched under normal conditions, if not for the post-Renaissance drought.

none of these reasons are why elex sucks which is why i put my cerebral palsy jank on the top of the list

Yeah, Elex made you suffer with weird mob placements, incorrect hitboxes (try fighting someone with a 2H hammer), shitty story and pacing and a bunch of other things, but so what? Do you people have a list of boxes to check like a game journo? Or maybe you didn't get what the game was about, which makes me wonder how you even enjoyed Gothic in the first place.

Major evidence that the game was supremely COOL was right at the beginning. You could tell your Berserker buddy(forgot his name by this point) to piss off and go back up the elevator, where you could use your jetpack to climb the antenna and get a splendid view of the game world and find some loot in the process, and you can even go back to the crashing spot to find your black lambo space shuttle. After that, you don't even need to go to the Berserker town at all. In my second or third playthrough I decided to start with the Dome City (I think it's called that too) and things worked out just fine, so fine that it made me think the place was originally planned as the starter town until some genius probably decided they needed the early game to look like Gothic.

Sure, getting to the Dome City was tense as hell, like Dr. Grant crossing Jurassic Park trying to not get eaten. However, that same questionable game design made it 10x more fun. I had the same feeling in Gothic, when I was doing something my character wasn't "supposed" to, but it was still possible if you were extremely careful.

Just turn off all your quest markers and all the other crap and do whatever you want and you'll have fun. Simple as that.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
FIX THIS

image.png

Say what you will abouit Risen 3, but there's certain assets I wouldn't mind being re-used. Kaja could benefit from the "Patty makeover". :shittydog:

Screenshot-2021-06-19-212426.png

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
They just need to make their women less German.
Even Jax is more attactive than that fucking tranny abomination in the trailer (nohomo).

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fucking excited for this! I've had some of the best world exploration and "interlocking quest" moments in ELEX, despite for its (in my opinion, quite negligible) flaws.
My biggest problem was that some of the quests were almost impossible to complete without turning on the GPS... a shame, really.
Otherwise, the music, the atmosphere, THE QUESTS (!), and the worldbuilding were top notch. I have no idea what kind of crap are people who complain about the graphics smoking... Just scrolled through my 800+ screenshots and the graphics are as stunning and atmospheric as they were 4 years ago.

Trailer is perfect as it is. Clearly, Piranha Bytes did nothing wrong.
If you can't appreciate metal and teutonic women, maybe you shouldn't be playing real RPGs, you know.

Also, who says anything negative about Caja is not my friend.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just did the abessa questline on my 2nd playtrough, and it reminded me how much i love this game. It extended up to when you reach all the factions too. Such rare quest design nowadays and i hope this extends in elex 2.

Elex had it's issues, but in retrospect there have not been many games since i've enjoyed as much. The exploration was really good.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It's still best open world for me.

This, the only other game that scratched that exploration itch for me in recent years was Subnautica. Really fucking hard to find a decent open world game with a non-random generated world these days, that just lets you explore and find shit (and kill you if you go into the wrong place) rather than spam you with fucking POI markers on the GUI ruining the experience.

Try Kenshi, though exploration there is so-so, little to find per square kilometer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom