Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ELEX II gets a combat trailer, now available for preorder

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: ELEX II; Piranha Bytes; THQ Nordic

THQ Nordic's latest trailer for ELEX II is a showcase of the game's lovably janky combat. Jax has of course lost all of his levels from the first game for reasons, so he'll have to start with the basics as he faces Magalan's hordes of beasts, bandits and alien invaders. But if you can help him survive long enough, you too may get to smack a dragon in the face from your jetpack.

Along with this trailer comes the news that ELEX II is now available for preorder. You can grab the game on Steam or GOG for $50 with a 10% preorder discount.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
remember guys, don't pre-order.

EDIT: Also: great gameplay trailer, love all the detailed information contained in it. Now I know, for sure, if i want to *consume product*.

Trailers are shit.

Sentinel

Arcane
Looks as bad as the first game. Really telling that they don't show an entire combat encounter in a promotional trailer and instead show single weapon hits before cutting away. I already saw a huge fucking hitbox on the player's weapon in that short trailer. Also lol @ that lock on camera at 0:35.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Man those floating feet, clunky animations and deadeye zombie stares from humanoid enemies.

At this point I'm pretty sure Piranha Bytes has a jank quota.

Shin

Cipher
At this point I'm curious whether PB has embraced the jank and wanted to show some of it off in the trailer, or whether they were having a serious attempt at editing together a cinematic trailer that might appeal to some sort of mass audience.

either way, I'm down for it, don't get me wrong

Tihskael

Learned
Poor combat was why I put the first one down even though the world was engaging enough, not considering of course the monsters waiting to one shot you every three steps.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hated the melee combat in the first game, still won't bother with it this time, though ideally the hitboxes are fixed enough so that I don't sometimes inexplicably miss when using guns.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Hated the melee combat in the first game, still won't bother with it this time, though ideally the hitboxes are fixed enough so that I don't sometimes inexplicably miss when using guns.

Kind of curious they only included one short clip of gunplay in the trailer.

Also, that fight with the giant guy looks like their video editor had a seizure.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
would you rather have.... deterministic hitboxes?

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Looks like more of the same to me!

donladboner.jpg

At this point it's pretty clear PB couldn't do a good combat system if their lives depended on it.
Gothic 2 and Risen 1 were the point where they peaked, and even those are little more than competent/serviceable, all things consider.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Now that they're owned by Embracer, I'm hoping that eventually one of them will collaborate with Piranha Bytes and get their combat systems in order.

From the Youtube comments:

I hope for the janky, clunky, unbalanced action combat that I've come to know and love from previous PB games. It starts off unfair (for me) and frustrating. Then as the game goes on, the combat matures into unfair (for enemies) and glorious. It's a uniquely rewarding experience I haven't been able to find anywhere else. Looking forward to EII!
Yeah, that's called Stockholm Syndrome.

Fairly sure you COULD have the same curve of progression with a combat system that doesn't rank just a hair above "Being stabbed in a dark alley" in terms of pleasantness.

Zanzoken

Arcane
This thread...

:butthurt:

Maybe you all need to get your T levels checked. Meanwhile the rest of us will be flying around on our jetpacks, grabbing Caja by the pussy, and making these alien scum wish they'd never even heard of Magalan.

*crushes up an Elex shard and blast it to the face*

LET'S FUCKING GO

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom