Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

ELEX II - Jax is back - coming March 1st

Discussion in 'Piranha Bytes' started by Cassar, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The weird thing is we've actually seen gameplay.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Voice is just wrong and the purple crystal monsters... I don't know man. Will we still be fighting biological "normal" stuff like zombies and monsters? These crystal things feels very Warcrafty.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    all that preparation to meet monsters with... dagger?

• Balanced Balanced x 3
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    The new VA is jarring but oh well. It's not the first time PB does this shit. They can't remain consistent within their own series and that's as much a staple of their games as anything else I suppose.

^ Top  
  5. Lambach Arcane

Lambach
    I mean, he does good enough of a job and I don't think he's "jarring", but it's just that it's not the voice of Jax that I'm used to and spent dozens of hours listening to, so it triggers my autism.

I guess we can LARP that his voice changed because ELEX completely left his body and he's now just an ordinary human. :M

• Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Daemongar Arcane Patron

Daemongar
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    No, he doesn't. The voice is flat and weak, while the original Jax is flat but strong, suiting his elex use and his background as a commander. Also, the voice doesn't really line up with the character model - but I can't get any more specific than that.

^ Top  
  7. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Can't see why not. Doubt they would ditch the normal PB nature vs. man type enemies and favor these aliens completely.

We only saw a little of them, and it was likely only a sub-species of some sort. And I wouldn't say their design is THAT bad.

But bros, I don't think we're going to be seeing ELEX II this year...

• Despair Despair x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. SlightlyRadioactive Educated

SlightlyRadioactive
    I want MORE!:x

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Diogenis Literate

Diogenis
    Why is everyone so dismissive towards Jax? After everything he went through to save everyone in Maglan, he ended up being treated like how people would treat a Jehovah Witness or a street salesman standing on their doorsteps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    ^ Top  
  11. Junmarko Arcane

Junmarko
    Lol.

So basically, Jax is now a conspiracy theorist going around trying to convince people in the post-apocalypse, of an incoming alien invasion.

Including his missus who has recently given birth, and needs "support" with the groceries...

Sick.

:takemymoney:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Ismaul Thought Criminal #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I'm fully EREX'd :bounce:

Sad about the voice though. It's way too clean, overproduced, not low enough, not edgy enough. It feels like a goody too-shoes, rather than a jaded guy in control of himself, observing things with a critical eye.

• Agree x 5
    • incline x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Faarbaute Learned

Faarbaute
    They are gonna play this 100% straight and its going to be awsome!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Murk Arcane

Murk
    re: normal monsters

They've shown mutants (cyborg type), normal mutated animals (frog thing; flying pterodactyl looking thing called a 'storm lizard'; giant bug called 'rock dragonfly'), and humanoid enemies already.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. SpaceWizardz Savant

SpaceWizardz
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Harthwain Magister

Harthwain
    Whoever decided that adding such obnixious music in the story trailer is a good idea clearly didn't know what he was doing.

To me the bigger problem with the voice is in the tone, because you can make even a flat voice work, provided the tone of voice is good enough to make up for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. SlightlyRadioactive Educated

SlightlyRadioactive
    Hope this is an early build, the character models look worse than the first game, like if they came straight outta a PS3 game somehow

^ Top  
  18. 1451 Seeker In My Safe Space

I dislike the trailer's tone, it's overdramatic.
    Not in line with good old pb games.
    Are they trying to become mature devs for mature gamers now, with grimdark worlds and visceral finishing moves?
    What if you pushed the awesome button and watched Jax perform a cinematic move?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Now that looks like some early-campaign Piranha Bytes gameplay right there. Looking good! Alleviated a number of concerns I had.

Agree the models look a little rough still, particularly Jax's model. Would like to see an improvement there for the final release, but I'm not overly concerned about it either.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. SpaceWizardz Savant

SpaceWizardz
    I don't speak devil tongue so I just did light skim for some info:
    • General UI screens:
      Show Spoiler
      [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Best map shot of new area I could get:
      Show Spoiler
      [​IMG]
    He shakes the cursor around but a little too fast, best I could tell is that Beserker area is gone, Cleric and Outlaw land are healed, Snow region still snowy, two new regions to the east with the urban area in image and an area north of it that had a large body of water with buildings on it (Or is that Cleric area?).
    • Jax will grab ledges if you fall near one and if you hug cliff wall he will slide down it and not take fall damage.
    • People worried the jetpack upgrade will ruin world design can now shut the fuck up, streamer found several little caches just jetpacking around the ridge.
    • Intro had a few CGI cutscenes and there was in-engine one when you find Caja.
    • ELEX 1 Ending spoilers!!
    Show Spoiler
    Hybrid's dead lol

• Informative Informative x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Daemongar Arcane Patron

Daemongar
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    You could be right - honestly, I am not familiar enough with the vernacular of speech phraseology if you will, but yah - that voice is too high toned for Jax. You don't realize how perfect the voice was in Elex until they give the reins to a low T VA.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    You misunderstand me. I mean it's jarring because it's a new voice and quite different from the original one. I'm not talking about the quality of the job that he did.

^ Top  
  23. Murk Arcane

Murk
    They're definitely early build; in some of the conversations the models' limbs would clip through their chest in bizarre and jerking-quick motions. Not sure how much the textures may change, but the animations/rigging is for sure early build.

^ Top  
  24. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    The UI isnt the best but that at least looks 100x more functional than elex 1

Not like PB ever had truly good UI.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    voice doesnt bother me cuz i'll play germano anyway :discohitler:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.