Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
All of the positive reviews for Elex 2 have a variety of embarrassing caveats. "They're a small team!" "It's exactly what PB fans expect!" "This game is for people who are already familiar with PB's idiosyncrasies!" "It's not great, but it's better than Elex 1!" And on, and on. It is fucking cringe-worthy. Again, embarrassing. Watching people defend this shit is unreal, like viewing a parallel universe. What the fuck is wrong with these idiots? Are they that sensitive about criticizing a European developer that they would debase themselves in this fashion? I don't get it. It's pathetic.

All of the above can be asked of the fans in this thread. What the fuck is wrong with you guys?
I tell you what's "wrong" with it. The same thing that has been said here already. Saying shit / stupid and mock in strong words everything that's stumbled, and is not of crystal-unicorn-peachy design. Ommiting the whole rest for the sheer fun of spite. To add to the perspective, I daresay in your kind of universe, nothing really is crystal-unicorn-peachy. And that's what's wrong.

There is a vast universe of difference between liking a flawed game, and defending a terrible one.

I like plenty of flawed games, and can like them in spite of their flaws (Outward, Morrowind) or even because of them (Deus Ex). We're not talking about a good game with some flaws. Elex was a bad, poorly made janky mess and the sequel looks to be the same. It is not "spite" to point this out. What you're calling spite is in fact the perfectly normal reaction of a person who sees a bunch of people circling the wagons for an obviously bad game -- it invites you (and the game you're defending) to get shitted upon, from great heights.

It's like when Darth Roxor made like using the word 'jank' to describe wonky eastern european releases with a lot of weird design and rushed programming was an entirely new word made up just to hate on Elex lol. You can't criticize these games without these people believing you're doing it to spite their cult rather than simply because you don't see why a mediocre, unpolished and deeply flawed open world game is heralded like the second coming

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
All of the positive reviews for Elex 2 have a variety of embarrassing caveats. "They're a small team!" "It's exactly what PB fans expect!" "This game is for people who are already familiar with PB's idiosyncrasies!" "It's not great, but it's better than Elex 1!" And on, and on. It is fucking cringe-worthy. Again, embarrassing. Watching people defend this shit is unreal, like viewing a parallel universe. What the fuck is wrong with these idiots? Are they that sensitive about criticizing a European developer that they would debase themselves in this fashion? I don't get it. It's pathetic.

All of the above can be asked of the fans in this thread. What the fuck is wrong with you guys?
I tell you what's "wrong" with it. The same thing that has been said here already. Saying shit / stupid and mock in strong words everything that's stumbled, and is not of crystal-unicorn-peachy design. Ommiting the whole rest for the sheer fun of spite. To add to the perspective, I daresay in your kind of universe, nothing really is crystal-unicorn-peachy. And that's what's wrong.

There is a vast universe of difference between liking a flawed game, and defending a terrible one.

I like plenty of flawed games, and can like them in spite of their flaws (Outward, Morrowind) or even because of them (Deus Ex). We're not talking about a good game with some flaws. Elex was a bad, poorly made janky mess and the sequel looks to be the same. It is not "spite" to point this out. What you're calling spite is in fact the perfectly normal reaction of a person who sees a bunch of people circling the wagons for an obviously bad game -- it invites you (and the game you're defending) to get shitted upon, from great heights.

By what standard is ELEX obviously bad other than its being a bit poorly made and janky here and there? Seems needlessly hyperbolic to me.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
God, the bad things being said about the game - as should be, it is wooden as always but I'm enjoying it a lot, so far - there is a gold power of ol good genre savvy bastard in the PB games...

I just ran into one of the final locations in the game (totally blind and sneaking around when I could, as soon as I got the jetpack), sprinted into the last chamber to find a boss there, standing on high ledge with endgame weapon findable just lying around...

Well, let's say that the fact enemies do take fall damage gave me my second level and 25,000 elexit lying in my pocket. :smug:

unknown.png

Jinn

Arcane
This just in! Man who hates Piranha Bytes games hates latest Piranha Bytes game! More at 11.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If BioWare made this game, would anyone on the Codex be defending it?

I expect and hope they fix the camera and the lighting, but it looks fun to me. ELEX was one of the best shit games I've ever played and the sequel looks comparable (I don't care if they made melee combat worse because I hated it in the first game and went with ranged, just like I'll do here).

Ryzer

Arcane
Just stick Ubisoft in the box and everyone here would rightly judge it. Anyway, shills gonna shill.

Codex Year of the Donut
I've yet to see any of its defenders explain why it's good.
I'm going to guess it will boil down to some appeal to "muh factions", a feature nearly every basic rpg has now.

Jinn

Arcane
I've yet to see any of its defenders explain why it's good.

Probably because no one has played it for any significant amount of time that gives them the ability to judge it properly. Well, you know, except for the professional reviewer who is posting in this thread and has left a concise and detailed review on his website.

https://ragequit.gr/en/reviews/item/elex-ii-pc-review/

Machine translated into English version in the spoilers below.

There should be a more extensive analysis/tribute/article on the games that have come to be grouped under the umbrella of the unofficial but noble genre known as Eurojank. What we're mostly interested in now, however, is the fact that Piranha Bytes as a company is probably the God-Emperor of this genre. The main Eurojank characteristics (games from central/eastern European studios with an overambitious concept, unforgivably increased difficulty compared to more "mainstream" games, mildly mediocre production values and often a plethora of bugs) can be found in pretty much all of the company's game series, and, like Gothic and Risen, ELEX could not be an exception. In this light, someone who chooses to play ELEX II, which officially launches tomorrow March 1st, is like knowing in advance the vast majority of the features he can expect from it. But is this really the case this time?

When you see Billy Idol perform live within the first half hour of a post-apocalyptic sci-fi RPG, you know it's jank.
The world state of planet Magalan after the events of ELEX, the Factions that emerged or retreated into obscurity, as well as the main new gameplay features of ELEX II, have all been analyzed in our extensive ELEX II preview a few months ago, so if you want more details it's recommended that you also check that out. But let's briefly repeat some things here as well. The plot takes place 7 years after the events of the first game, with our protagonist Jax largely retired from public life after failing to unite the warring factions of Magalan against the space threat that is allegedly on the way via the massive wormhole that appeared after the defeat of the Hybrid. The start of the action coincides with the arrival of this threat, and Jax's mission is to travel around the world, talk to all the old and new "major players" and attempt to mount some sort of resistance against the alien invaders (who are given the name Skyands), even at the last hour.

The Skyands are like something straight out of Firaxis' XCOM.
In terms of gameplay, the main innovations compared to ELEX are the optimization of Melee combat and the crafting system, the introduction of a Stealth system, and the ability to fly with the Jetpack if we upgrade it with the right components. Beyond these, and various tweaks to the menus and the broader look of the UI, players of the first ELEX, and Piranha Bytes games in general I guess, will feel right at home playing ELEX II.

And this right-at-home quality is perhaps the area in which ELEX II shines. In the 80+ hours it took me to complete the game (naturally having skipped some of the sidequests, in addition to the interlocking paths depending on my choices in the Main Quest), I felt, as a PB fan, something similar to what I suppose fans of Souls games feel every time FromSoftware releases something new, meaning I had certain expectations that were met 100%.

After acquiring the appropriate skills and collecting upgrades, flying with the Jetpack can drastically shorten distances accross the map, in addition to providing new entry and exit strategies.
Exploring a wide open world, with scattered secrets waiting to be discovered? Check. Unrelenting difficulty, especially in the early stages of the game, and the possibility of dying even from an oversized mosquito? Check. Plenty of quests, with the main ones having more than one path to their completion? Obvious check. Well-written and distinct Factions, each of which has its own purposes in the world, its own distinct Quests, and its own path to the Endgame? Check once again. Evolution and enrichment of the existing world Lore as presented in the series' first game? Easy check. The dedicated Gothic, Risen or ELEX fan has learned to expect certain things in these games, and ELEX II delivers those things to the superlative degree.

It is also worth mentioning that, surprisingly, ELEX II in its release version seemed to me to be practically bug-free. I don't know if I'm in the minority, but the bugs and glitches I encountered in the preview version have been resolved after the mega-patch released before the release. The only thing that reminded me of the corresponding launch of the company's older titles on PC are some occasional framedrops, or various small typical jank incidents, such as the protagonist and NPCs unnecessarily replaying random voiced phrases while wandering around the world.

You can't have jank without comically "brutal" dialogue.
But we should also take into account that games of this scope should also target a wider audience beyond the core of dedicated fans, who may ultimately be easier to satisfy. And if we start focusing on such broad appeal characteristics, some small or large cracks appear and can be pointed out in ELEX II. Regarding the wider technical aspects, chief among such cracks is the rather mediocre quality of the game's character models. There was a slight upgrade over the preview build, but even after the final pre-release update most character models admittedly look like they are worse even compared to their ELEX counterparts back in 2017, with their faces getting weird expressions when speaking and some NPCs' hands hanging to the side like bunches of grapes.

There are, predictably, Unique weapons in the world, but in this case I managed to find the same Unique more than once.
Apart from the above, which is probably just a minor issue to begin with, 2 facts should be noted regarding the game's plot itself. The first is that it seems to follow the general plot of ELEX unnecessarily closely: there we had the Elex Converters which we had to visit and disable in the course of the game, so here we have the Skyand Spires which are located around the edges of the world and which we also have to enter several times in order to disable them or for various other plot-related reasons. The second is how the quality of the Main Quests in the 2nd half of the game takes a more than noticeable dip: whereas in the first half we have to chat with factions, gain their trust and complete various errands on their behalf, after a certain point the "main Skyands attack" is supposed to take place and our missions are literally to go to various parts of the map and kill 30-40 enemies of varying strength. At this point the game started to "lose" me quite a bit, and admittedly I wasn't expecting this turn of events.

“Git Gud”, in other words.
Due to my years of "involvemenet" with PB games, I may now be programmed in such a way that I can't treat ELEX II like any other RPG from any other company. Yes, the character models occasionally stand out and the dip in main quest writing is noticable. Yes, many times the plot is pushed forward via blatant "Lore Dumps" in the dialogue. Yes, the dialogue is sometimes unintentionally comical probably as a product of mediocre translation. But as I recall and delve into the overall experience in my mind, I can't help but come back to the point I've made several times so far: what I expected from the game as a PB fan, it more than delivered.

Perhaps, in the end, reviews of this kind are slightly unnecessary for games developed by companies like PB, and can be completely replaced by specific short sentences: "fans of open-world RPGs will be more than entertained by this", "fans of immersive AAA experiences expecting an extremely polished product with Hollywood-level production values will be discouraged", "fans of PB will love it". We live in a Eurojank world. Let us remain here, my friends.

Codex Year of the Donut
Maybe it's the excellent quests that almost all boil down to "go find/kill macguffin, it's marked on your map with an auto updating magic gps."
The sort of thing Bethesda games would be shit in for.

Jinn

Arcane
Oh man not a professional reviewer!
What's next, professional toilet cleaner?

rusty, we all know why you're in this thread.

I just responded to your post genuinely, to which you gave me yet another sarcastic and trolly response. There is no point in talking with you.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PB could shit on a plate and people here would find it groundbreaking.
You seem upset.
Elex 2 proves he's right though.
It's his opinion. Nothing wrong with it. I disagree with him.

I like the exploration. PB is one of few studios that make fun open worlds to explore. I don't mind the combat. FoV and camera are not big issues for me.

That doesn't mean there are no flaws. Dialog is weak. The start is weaker than ELEX. Performance on my rig is acceptable, but it needs to be better. Characters look ugly as sin.

The main factor for me is: Am I having fun? Well, I am having fun

Do I understand that people dislike the game? Yes.

Hellion

Arcane
I don't get paid for my reviews, it's a hobby basically which I practice alongside my day job. Meaning I basically receive free game codes to write whatever I believe about said games without any outside influence.

Everyone is allowed to form their own opinions and agree or disagree with my reviews, naturally. But saying "oh noes, he's a reviewer therefore wrong by default" is beyond retarded.

Jinn

Arcane
I don't get paid for my reviews, it's a hobby basically which I practice alongside my day job. Meaning I basically receive free game codes to write whatever I believe about said games without any outside influence.

Everyone is allowed to form their own opinions and agree or disagree with my reviews, naturally. But saying "oh noes, he's a reviewer therefore wrong by default" is beyond retarded.

Yeah, sorry for jumping the gun on the professional title. I mainly wanted to mention your review because you're one of the few game reviewers that I trust and respect the opinions of.

Hellion

Arcane
Yeah, sorry for jumping the gun on the professional title. I mainly wanted to mention your review because you're one of the few game reviewers that I trust and respect the opinions of.

S'all good, my man.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
PB could shit on a plate and people here would find it groundbreaking.
You seem upset.
Elex 2 proves he's right though.
It's his opinion. Nothing wrong with it. I disagree with him.

I like the exploration. PB is one of few studios that make fun open worlds to explore

I found this the weirdest praise for the first game. There's nothing to find but shitty consumables and diary entries.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom