Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Tyrion8338

Novice
I`m really enjoying elex 2. Graphics and world lighting can be quite good (berserker stronghold looks awesome). Exploring is a lot of fun but combat isnt all that good tbh. (26 hours played). There is A LOT of content in this game.

SoupNazi

I've played Gothic 2, G1, Risen 1, Elex1 and I'm currently playing Chronicles of Myrtana Archolos. I've liked all of them (and would rank them in the order written above with the exception of Archolos which I haven't finished), but what PB game should I play next?

How does E2 compare to G3 and R2?
G3 and R2 are utter thrash to the point where a lobotomy might be the better option.

But yeah, E2 is better than G3 and R2

After playing some more:

The melee combat is a LOT better in ELEX 2 compared to ELEX 1. The problem with combat in ELEX was that it was horribly boring for an aRPG. The best approach for melee was to just block with your shield or weapon and then attack. Blocking with shields was completely OP to the point of being braindead (because shields blocked all damage AND worked at zero stamina), and blocking with a weapon was a bit more interesting but still involved just holding a button down for a while. And attacking had that stupid combo system, where to do any real damage you had to go through your combos, with each subsequent strike doing more damage, and then the final special attack doing the most. The special attack wasn't even feasible in most cases, cause by then the enemy would attack again, but the overall flow was terrible. Hold down shield/weapon, while enemy mindless strikes into it, then go through the same attack combo sequence, every single time. It was just ridiculously mindless and boring. And enemies were generally bullet sponges, so it took forever too.

In ELEX 2, you have a lot more interesting options. If you are into Dark Souls type combat (or Mount & Blade or whatever), just use timed blocking. When you have only a weapon equipped and no shield, you can hold block for a short period of time only, reminiscent of early Gothic combat. But if you time it well, just as the enemy is about to hit you, you stagger them, and the next attack drains their stamina to zero, and makes them fall down for a few seconds. You can then follow up with a power attack and take large chunks of their healthbar. And since enemies have different attack patterns, you have to learn when to time your block, so it's a lot of fun.

If you are not into that kind of active aRPG combat, get a shield. Unlike ELEX, shields only block partial damage (% goes up with quality and skill), so it doesn't fill like a cheating button. Also, while holding a shield, you can do quick sidestep dodges, instead of the silly roll dodge which puts you out of position. The sidestep dodge is much more efficient and lets you avoid power attacks while still remaining in position to react.

Enemies also don't seem to be nearly as bullet-spongy as in ELEX (at least early on). I am routinely taking on skull enemies above my level and while I die sometimes, I can kill them too, and quite quickly, instead of the near endless battles on low levels in ELEX.

So don't listen to Roxor on this, he is whining because he managed to exploit the AI with some bs move, who cares, play it the way it's intended to be played and you will have a lot more fun than with the ELEX combat.

Tyrion8338

Novice
I've played Gothic 2, G1, Risen 1, Elex1 and I'm currently playing Chronicles of Myrtana Archolos. I've liked all of them (and would rank them in the order written above with the exception of Archolos which I haven't finished), but what PB game should I play next?

Gothic 3 and Risen 2 (completed it) are a lot of fun, give them a try.

Mauman

Learned
Gothic 3 and Risen 2 (completed it) are a lot of fun, give them a try.

I wasn't fond of Gothic 3, but I rather enjoyed Risen 2 despite it's warts.

I still regard possessing the Governor and running around to be one of the funnier quests I've seen in a game. Particularly how you can troll Patty

soulburner

Cipher
I spent some time in the Berserker camp, solving a few quests. I have to say they were engaging and interesting. Of course, my framerate in this location is pretty much constantly around 40, sometimes even lower, but it somehow managed to keep me playing anyway. I'm considering applying a constant frame limit of 30.

The models might be funny at first glance, but I kind of got used to them. The lip sync engine they used is pretty great - in Elex 1 I used to focus on the subtitles because looking at the characters felt too disconnected with what they were saying. In Elex 2 their lips sometimes move exactly like you'd expect certain words and even full sentences to look like, so it's pretty cool to look directly at the characters.

As other people said, the graphics in Elex 2 seem to be uneven. There are locations which look great - like the Berserker camp or most of the interiors, which are much more detailed than in Elex 1. Certain other areas feel like slightly upgraded Risen 2, not Elex 1. The non-existing shadows and poor tree sprites in the distance are especially jarring.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
In ELEX 2, you have a lot more interesting options

> proceeds to list riposte spam or shield+circle strafing as the only viable options, because those very much are the only viable options

blocking with a weapon was a bit more interesting but still involved just holding a button down for a while.

I bet you don't even know you could execute ripostes in the first game, and they worked much better than in this shit :lol:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

G3 and R2 are utter thrash to the point where a lobotomy might be the better option.

Please state at least 2 games that are an utter bliss in the RPG genre and why. You know, games that would make you consider not having sex, and instead playing the game :cool:

Sykar

Arcane

Please state at least 2 games that are an utter bliss in the RPG genre and why. You know, games that would make you consider not having sex, and instead playing the game :cool:

That is easy enough:
Deus Ex 1
System Shock 2

Bonus:
Vampire:Bloodlines, only to bang Jeanette.
:evilcodex:

eat-lead-collage-720892.jpg

Boring typical bad space marine character
We obviously need more homosexual and Muslim space marine KANGz and KWEENz!!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Nu-Albs are pretty funny, the Depot feels like autism avenue. I was laughing particularly much at the conversation with the school teacher.

I also liked how when she asks you whether it was hard to kill the mutant rats to bring her educational material, she gives you more cash if you say yep, it was totes superhard :D

It is worth the asking price of 50 Eurobucks, as I already got 90 hours of PHUN out of playing it.

But anybody interested should probably wait until the performance has been patched before purchasing.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
For some reason I'm getting Mega FPS (tm) in parts of Ignadon, which means I can reliably go through the combat The Intended Way (tm) and spam ripostes against everything.

This is so mindless and stupid, I can't possibly comperehend how anyone could defend this. It's not at all much different from Roxorowski's award-winning power-strike-after-roll attack pattern.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
forgot to share that you can still fly through enemies while executing slightly less clunky aerial attacks. Its quite dangerous early on since those usually drain your whole tank and you end up falling off the cliff.
Was salty that they dont stagger like roll+quick attack.

Jinn

Arcane
For some reason I'm getting Mega FPS (tm) in parts of Ignadon, which means I can reliably go through the combat The Intended Way (tm) and spam ripostes against everything.

This is so mindless and stupid, I can't possibly comperehend how anyone could defend this. It's not at all much different from Roxorowski's award-winning power-strike-after-roll attack pattern.

While I can by no means defend how they developed the combat for this game, I can't say that I find it as terribly bad as you tend to, even after playing a ways further in. Playing on Ultra while utilizing parry and riposte 17 hours in will still lead me to have some interesting encounters where I can't quite read every attack tell and find myself "END"-ed all over the ground. It's not necessarily good, and Piranha Bytes should obviously strive for something much better, but it's also not something that's ruining the game for me.

That said, out of all the points to defend in the game, I don't feel combat is the hill to die on. But nor do I find it terribly offensive nor overly braindead. It's just there as a vehicle for progression, and as I've stated before, character progression and equipment progression are still the biggest underlying aspects of success in battle, which is what I'm looking for above all else in a PB game. I feel fairly similarly about ELEX 2's combat as I do ELEX 1's.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
and as I've stated before, character progression and equipment progression are still the biggest underlying aspects of success in battle, which is what I'm looking for above all else in a PB game. I feel fairly similarly about ELEX 2's combat as I do ELEX 1's.
the only real progression is what weapon you use, it's nowhere near the same as earlier PB games

Jinn

Arcane
the only real progression is what weapon you use, it's nowhere near the same as earlier PB games

Major progression in earlier PB games came primarily from weapon and armor progression, which you raised your stats to achieve. Any bonuses you received from attribute enhancement was minor at best, much like this. Besides that, minor skills such as lockpicking are still in. I don't understand this angle you're driving at, except as someone who doesn't like PB games in general. Which is of course fine.

Codex Year of the Donut

Major progression in earlier PB games came primarily from weapon and armor progression,
All the armor of the same tier is completely identical sans cosmetics and it provides zero unique benefits. If you aren't being a tard getting hit is rarely even an issue.

Any bonuses you received from attribute enhancement was minor at best, much like this.
BS
They might as well provide zero benefit with how little they provide.

I don't understand this angle you're driving at, except as someone who doesn't like PB games in general.
I've regularly been positive towards even PB games that are shit on here(e.g., G3, R2/R3)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom