Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
After doing missions for Berserkers and Morkons, other factions fel really shallow. Especially Cleric missions were a joke, they probaly run out of money and/or ideas at later stages. I assume they don't have many special missions after you joining them.
Kinda middleground about Morkons myself, one second they are bloodthirsty,chaotic stupid bastards but then their lawful, prestigious face hits you hard. Until you equip their really edgy armors....
Game is a lot more easy than first game. Ranged still OP at start but melee rolling attack and parry trivialized most of the content right from the start. Flying missile units are really problematic but easy after getting jetpack upgrade.
Game is too big for it's own good. Cut half of the land and %90 of the thrash loot, noone would even notice.

I think by far the biggest shortcoming of Elex II is that exploration is no longer rewarding in the same way as the prequel. Part of that has to do with there no longer being a sense of wonder since there aren't significant changes to the game worlds of the two games in terms of aesthetic, but also I think this might be the laziest map PB has designed in a while.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
elex2 exploration is about upgrading your backpack to reach taller and taller buildings to find
*surprise*
unique weapon

Baldanders

Novice
I think by far the biggest shortcoming of Elex II is that exploration is no longer rewarding in the same way as the prequel. Part of that has to do with there no longer being a sense of wonder since there aren't significant changes to the game worlds of the two games in terms of aesthetic, but also I think this might be the laziest map PB has designed in a while.
It also seemed to go from difficult to chees-able much quicker but maybe that's just my experience from the first game.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I have a different theory about Piranha Bytes - that they're not really a "professional" studio anymore and are functioning more like an indie outfit. A bunch of folks working on games in their own time in between doing other things.
what made you think that?
How can a non-indie studio take various oddjobs instead of working on their main project? They had the engine, the assets, money from the gubermint, and a backing from their publisher.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yikes! Immediate first impressions after like an hour or so are not good. This feels pretty bad right out of the gate, I have to say. Feels kind of perfunctory and hollow, like not much care and attention has gone into it, unlike Elex which felt like a labour of love with a lot of attention to detail, with the first hour giving you the sense that you were embarking on something epic.

Here, it seems like a kind of non-story with boring antagonists - nothing creative or interesting, just a variant of the first game with purple blobs. I feel like dozing off even thinking about it.

It's hard to believe just how bad the face models are too. Caja looks like absolutely terrible. And that child - eeeugh.

Were they just making this to fulfil some sort of quota or something, and their real interests have moved onto some other game? That's the sense I'm getting from it.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, it'll only go downhill from there.
Game has the most horrible middle and end game. It just becomes kill 20 of these around the map and 20 of those after that. Also speak to the drone.
Dunno what they were on creating this I'm not nearing that stuff...

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Finally finished it. The end game is just as bad as peopole are saying.

Game sucked. Looking forward to the next one.

I am still in early/mid, but game is ok, I am having fun. I really do not see it is that much different to Elex 1.

I like the concept they are going for with the factions, that they are broken/fractured versions of the first game. It does create feel of world that is collapsing due to factional warfare, environmental problems and external enemies. I would hope they go even more in this direction for third game.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Yikes! Immediate first impressions after like an hour or so are not good. This feels pretty bad right out of the gate, I have to say. Feels kind of perfunctory and hollow, like not much care and attention has gone into it, unlike Elex which felt like a labour of love with a lot of attention to detail, with the first hour giving you the sense that you were embarking on something epic.

Here, it seems like a kind of non-story with boring antagonists - nothing creative or interesting, just a variant of the first game with purple blobs. I feel like dozing off even thinking about it.

It's hard to believe just how bad the face models are too. Caja looks like absolutely terrible. And that child - eeeugh.

Were they just making this to fulfil some sort of quota or something, and their real interests have moved onto some other game? That's the sense I'm getting from it.
I still haven't touched it; waiting for a solid sale. The massive warning sign that kept me from making a day-one purchase was the change of voice actor. Pulling a stunt like that showed me that PB didn't really give a shit about the product. It's 25 dorra right now, is the game high enough quality for that?

Codex Year of the Donut

BruceVC

Magister
So Im going to be playing ELEX 2 next, ELEX 1 was my favorite PB game of all so Im looking forward to EL2. I realise there are negative views of the game but there are also positive ones so Im looking forward to my next RPG journey

I have found this really detailed and combined mod on Nexus, it seems to cover most shortfalls of the unmodded game. Also let me know if there are other mods I should use :salute:

https://www.nexusmods.com/elex2/mods/66

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Have they seriously still not released the dx12 update? How long has it been since that bad patch where they overwrote the normal install with the dx12 beta? Like a month?

BruceVC

Magister
So Im going to be playing ELEX 2 next, ELEX 1 was my favorite PB game of all so Im looking forward to EL2. I realise there are negative views of the game but there are also positive ones so Im looking forward to my next RPG journey

I have found this really detailed and combined mod on Nexus, it seems to cover most shortfalls of the unmodded game. Also let me know if there are other mods I should use :salute:

https://www.nexusmods.com/elex2/mods/66
Im 45 hours into Elex 2 and I wanted to share my experiences which are positive

But firstly dont use the mod link I suggested, I played for about 3 hours and I realized these mods end up eroding and destroying most of what makes PB games worthwhile and fun. They included

• companions can join straight away which makes combat too easy
  • NPC that normally cant become companions can become companions
  • you get the ability to automatically see every single item or monster like a permanent sunglass impact. It makes exploration pointless because you have no surprises because you see everything
  • trainers can offer all training which means no more fun in finding specific trainers

In summary DONT use that mod link because it nerfs the game to an absolutely boring level

So my new game has been entertaining for several reasons that include

• no DirectX 12 bugs, this seems to have been addressed
  • you still have the fun of random exploring and getting annihilated by strong enemies
  • finding trainers is worthwhile
  • I like the crafting system and how you need 3x weapons to upgrade
  • I like the different factions and how you interact with them

And some criticisms

• the shotgun is far too overpowered, I stopped using it because combat becomes meh if you can defeat supposedly tough enemies easily
  • there are a few cringe quests and dialogues about harassment of women and similar things, I guess PB is making up for not having any female characters in earlier Gothic games :-D
  • the overall narrative is not that compelling but its still fun

In summary, so far its been a good experience. Not excellent but fun :cool:

BruceVC

Magister
I completed ELEX 2 after 80 Steam hours

I enjoyed it, its not fantastic or as good as ELEX 1 but its a good open-world PB RPG design experience.

I give it a 65\100 on the globally respected " BruceVC game rating system ". Some general comments

• the overall narrative is close to meh but its gets better when you discover who the Skyands are
  • I enjoyed the companions and there side-quests, Dex was annoying at times with some of his questions. There should have been a dialogue option with " put Dex over your knee and give him a proper spanking " :-D
  • I thought the level and attribute advancement was well done and meaningful
  • I liked the crafting and variety of weapons and how they do noticeably influence combat
  • The open map is always appreciated for exploration and finding hidden points of interest
  • The various factions were interesting, I joined the Berserkers
So overall its worth playing and I hope they make another one because there are several unanswered questions like " when will the singularity arrive " ?

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hmm, searching for "interlocking" in this thread yields not much...

So does it have complex interlocking quests and C&C like the first game or not? For me those were one of the main highlights of the first game.

BruceVC

Magister
Hmm, searching for "interlocking" in this thread yields not much...

So does it have complex interlocking quests and C&C like the first game or not? For me those were one of the main highlights of the first game.
I would say yes it does to a certain degree, for example you need to complete certain quests to progress further and then if you join faction A you are limited to certain things....isnt that a form a C&C?

But its more open world with quests where you can do any factions quests until you join a faction

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok, finally finished, did everything, join Zerkers, 62 hours in total.

As I suspected, all the reservations some of our prestigious residents voiced are a bunk. The game is in no way, shape or form dramatically different/worse than Elex 1. In fact the biggest problem for me was the feeling I'm playing the exact same PB game I've been playing for the last 15 years.

I've never thought I'd say this...but I think I'm getting tired of the PB formula. You have a few companions you can recruit or run around with, you can join a faction, get their armor, rise in their ranks. There are learning points and teachers and and a tedious, boring grindfest of an endgame. Twenty goddamn years of PB cooking different soups based on the same fucking recipe.

Elex 2 is just more of Elex 1. The combat is a bit different, you have parries and ripostes now instead of combos, and you can shove your sword in mobs' asses from behind for astronomical damage which I utilized liberally. You can float and swing your sword now too. I guess it was a bit better than E1 combat? Dunno. After becoming a souls-likes fiend PB combat doesn't impress me anymore.

Graphix, sound, music....everything felt a bit worse than the first game. As if PB themselves are bored with their shit too and simply don't give as many fucks anymore as they used to. So yeah, everything is a tiny bit uglier but it's not like Elex 1 could've won any art design awards in the first place.

The best thing about the game was the new jetpack, more specifically the fact you can now jet forward. It might even be one of my favourite features in any RPG ever. I'd fuck it and marry it if I could.

The writing and story is the PB standard - very German, very functional, something any of us could write with a little editorial help. But we don't play PB games for the story and writing, do we.

Eh...so I'm not sure imma buy whatever PB is cooking next. And I've always considered myself a hardcore PB fan. But the standard PB fare just doesn't cut it anymore.

I think Kingdom Come showed the future of this style of RPG - real writing with real characters and real quests and real crime system and real NPC routines. I didn't like the KCD combat and there are no factions there but everything else is just miles above PB now. Pankratz and company got stuck in the past and they seem to be fresh out of fucks to give about it.

Embracer should let Pankratz go pursue his rock star career fulltime and hand over the Gothic IP to Warhorse. That's the only way to save it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think Kingdom Come showed the future of this style of RPG
God, I hope not. A static goody-two-shoes main character that makes all that cool stuff like NPC routines, and crime void, because narrative wise Henry would never murder anyone in their sleep. And in classic Vavra fashion, the story is set in stone, which made the open world pointless, at least to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom