Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

ortucis

Prophet
1060 is a great card for the price. If you go really high end Vega cards are getting massive gains in Vulkan, DX12 and more professional tasks like video editing but the new APIs are irrelevant for about 5 more years now, especially of you want to avoid (((Windows 10))) like I do. I pass GPU requirements with my R7 360 but barely lag behind in CPU with my X4 840, hope I can run it well but I heard the game is well optimized and doesn't look too demanding. I'll wait until my PC is at least 3 years old before upgrading.

A lot of apps I have, use CUDA cores for optimization. Plus, there is PhysX related stuff not just in-games, but in those 3D apps as well.

AMD is not an option, at all. I remember when I had 9600XT (was using nVidia before it) back in the day, it came with a free copy of Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines + VTM Gamepad (and Tomb Raider AOD), and I even was able to run Doom 3 on that card without any issues. Good times.

But since then, I've stuck with nVidia, mostly cause I like PhysX stuff in-games (like Batman) and also, I am a big fan of TXAA, which is the first thing I enable on my 660Ti (2x only) and it looks really damn good.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
1060 is a great card for the price. If you go really high end Vega cards are getting massive gains in Vulkan, DX12 and more professional tasks like video editing but the new APIs are irrelevant for about 5 more years now, especially of you want to avoid (((Windows 10))) like I do. I pass GPU requirements with my R7 360 but barely lag behind in CPU with my X4 840, hope I can run it well but I heard the game is well optimized and doesn't look too demanding. I'll wait until my PC is at least 3 years old before upgrading.

A lot of apps I have, use CUDA cores for optimization. Plus, there is PhysX related stuff not just in-games, but in those 3D apps as well.

AMD is not an option, at all. I remember when I had 9600XT (was using nVidia before it) back in the day, it came with a free copy of Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines + VTM Gamepad (and Tomb Raider AOD), and I even was able to run Doom 3 on that card without any issues. Good times.

But since then, I've stuck with nVidia, mostly cause I like PhysX stuff in-games (like Batman) and also, I am a big fan of TXAA, which is the first thing I enable on my 660Ti (2x only) and it looks really damn good.

You can use PhysX on the CPU and it really isn't a concern for me because most new games don't use it too much. If Freesync/Gsync is something you want AMD is endlessly better as Freesync monitors are generally 100€ cheaper and do the same thing, and often AMD cards get better performance on new APIs and are better supported for the future (a lot of people still use the 7870, and it works damn well even today, legendary card.) If you play a lot of AAA junk with (((Gameworks))) you're also kinda fucked on AMD due to it basically being sabotage, recent example would be Witcher 3.
AMD has its benefits, but for a budget card AMD is just beaten by the 1060 which is basically the king of kings in its arena.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
reported as well - now quick, somebody doxx him, so that we may fire him (or more likely kick out from school)

ortucis

Prophet

You can use PhysX on the CPU and it really isn't a concern for me because most new games don't use it too much. If Freesync/Gsync is something you want AMD is endlessly better as Freesync monitors are generally 100€ cheaper and do the same thing, and often AMD cards get better performance on new APIs and are better supported for the future (a lot of people still use the 7870, and it works damn well even today, legendary card.) If you play a lot of AAA junk with (((Gameworks))) you're also kinda fucked on AMD due to it basically being sabotage, recent example would be Witcher 3.
AMD has its benefits, but for a budget card AMD is just beaten by the 1060 which is basically the king of kings in its arena.

I don't really care about Freesync/Gsync, I have a 1080p monitor which I don't intend to change anytime soon (only have money to invest in card). I know PhysX can be run on CPU, but why would I do that when GPU designed for it is better at it? And again, like I said, TXAA, I love it in games where it's available (like Black Flag). Gameworks is really good, you can call it "sabotage" all you want, but it actually adds to the visuals a lot and as a PC gamer, I want all those sweet visual upgrades in my games (like PhysX water to cloth effects). I DO play a lot of AAA junk along with Indie junk, so yes, AMD is a bad choice for me.

Anyway, I am on Windows 7, don't really intend to upgrade to Windows 10 anytime soon so DX12 is of no concern (and there are no DX12 exclusives that I can't live without). As for Vulkan, I can already play Doom with Vulkan on my 660Ti and it runs fine, I'm sure it'll run way better on 1060 as well.

Also, all AMD cards were already more expensive than nVidia cards in my country. And thanks to mining, they are even more expensive than before. :lol:

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
you made a classic rookie mistake and thought that ELEX deals in our imperfect calendar system - no, from now on, everything will be ante and post ELEX

joined jul 12, 2 BE (before ELEX)

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you have an account in GreenManGaming, today they emailed out a 25% off voucher, among the games that qualify for said voucher, is ELEX. The voucher is tied to your account so it's not transferable.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What faction are you guys going to initially go with? I'm not sure, and I think I'll just wander around and do whatever I feel like for the first time playing..
The standard,kill everything,do all the quest,explore all the shit and then chose a faction.

Kahr

Outlaw of course, because the clerics are Anti-Elex and the berserkers are elven-like hippies.
Also you get stupid cowboy hats and leather vests.
:incline:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Probably berserkers because I like magic and maces. Might do Clerics otherwise.

ortucis

Prophet
Ordered 1060, should arrive today.

On the side note, after 5 years of Windows 7, I finally formatted and installed Windows 10. Holy fuck this is a pile of shit. Everything is trying to connect online and randomly, something is downloading SOMETHING in the background using the network at max. Amazing progress. Also, random few second freezes when network related activity happens, initiated by Windows itself. Fucking fun.

Thinking of going back to Windows 7 unless I find a cure and block everything on W10. Using Comodo to block all access meanwhile cause every fucking service wants net access. Disabled Windows Update, as usual, I need to tweak this fucking OS.

Last edited:

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
You can turn almost all things off and uninstall all needless apps, including 99% of updates. The settings are hell to navigate through, though. It's like browsing Mac.

krist2

Augur
Patron
Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ordered 1060, should arrive today.

On the side note, after 5 years of Windows 7, I finally formatted and installed Windows 10. Holy fuck this is a pile of shit. Everything is trying to connect online and randomly, something is downloading SOMETHING in the background using the network at max. Amazing progress. Also, random few second freezes when network related activity happens, initiated by Windows itself. Fucking fun.

Thinking of going back to Windows 7 unless I find a cure and block everything on W10. Using Comodo to block all access meanwhile cause every fucking service wants net access. Disabled Windows Update, as usual, I need to tweak this fucking OS.

This program can help a bit: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

been using win10 for a long time, can't see to experience the same as you do. But people have been bitching about new versions of windows since the beginning :)

ortucis

Prophet
Yeah I am not using such tool. I have W10 Enterprise so disabled a lot of settings and customized others, like Windows Update, using administrative tools.

It's now performing much smoother. Still, unless I disable the Windows Update, wants to download a new fucking nVidia driver while I already have manually installed the new one from their site.

The reason why I didn't update for so long was cause when Windows 10 was released, I knew better than to move on to it in less than a year. But I realized that it has been more than two years and the issues people keep complaining about have kept me from updating. Have turned off and blocked pretty much everything I can now, no more network usage and I will update this machine in like 6 months only now. I liked how Windows 7 was smart enough to disable Windows Firewall when I installed Comodo but in W10, I had to manually turn off the service.

What a shit experience. Windows 7 was Install OS > Install Apps > You're Done. Here it's Install OS > Update Shit > MORE UPDATES > Spend Whole Day Blocking OS Apps from net access so they won't update > Derp.

The shit UI isn't helping. Only reason I updated is because I know MS has intentionally removed support of new hardware from Windows 7. Cunts.

On the side note, installed Pale Moon as the first browser on fresh OS this time. I only switched to Pale Moon a month ago so hooray. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom