Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Discussion in 'Piranha Bytes' started by Raapys, Oct 17, 2017.

1. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    The overhaul mod doesn't add anything new to the game right? It only adjusts the stats of weapons and armor?

^ Top  
  2. Ravielsk Learned

Ravielsk
    No. Its basically just a rebalance mod. Mostly it changes stat requirements on weapons/armor.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. gurugeorge Arcane Patron

gurugeorge
    Strap Yourselves In
    It's funny, I kind of agree with a fair amount of the very negative points made by DWTerminator in his blistering YT vid. If you look at the various components of the game, they're poor to average individually, and if you're taking the most dyspeptic view of the game, his criticisms are accurate.

But despite that, it's more than the sum of its parts, and 1/5 is ridiculously harsh. It's definitely a 3/5, maybe 3.5/5 in places. Stick a pair of headphones on, fire up a spliff (*ahem,* not that I would endorse such degeneracy :) ), and moments of really deep immersion and presence are possible, as well as some cracking combat gameplay. I just did the
    Show Spoiler
    last but one robit part quest and decided, what the heck, might as well take own the Converter while I'm at it - baby's first Converter shutdown :)
    with my new char (now at lvl 9), and boy was it intense.

I'm just starting to catch the combat curve now and finally starting to get a real feel for it (Ultra, using sword and board, so actually doing the tanking while my companions wail on the mobs, since at the moment they do more and more consistent damage than I can - I went the 50 INT route so I'm still a schmuck with a Hatchet). The feeling of being in that well-presented s-f environment, with the weight of the rather horrific and disturbing lore hanging over it, and the sense of my character as he's developing - it was really quite something, a gaming "moment," with the game's (average, but suitably elegiac) music accompanying a tremendous sense of victory.

For all its faults, for all the jank, it's the real deal, it really is a third-person action RPG, and you can't say that about many games other than the earlier PB games (certainly not Bethesda games, unless heavily modded, and even then ... ).

It's just a shame they can't go all out on the PC side and make it even deeper, pay for some professional writers and just up the quality a tad. (It's also a shame I can't stand pirates, because Risen probably gives a similar feel.)

It's a bitter thought, thinking of how much money is poured into making absolute AAA codswallop, when these people are struggling to make real games. Such a waste of resources that could be spent on making games like this, but at a 4/5 or 5/5 level.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    I'm not familiar with the guy you mention, but he must be one of those mainstream faggots if he rated Elex a 1/5. He probably rates games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age 5/5.

As far as the individual components not being great, that's true. It's been that way for all of PB's games since Gothic. It's the sum of the parts that matters though, and no one puts together a world and atmosphere like PB.

• Agree Agree x 9
    ^ Top  
  5. xuerebx Augur

xuerebx
    I'm level 6 now, and if it wasn't for Duras I would not be able to venture too far out of Goliet as I get one-shot killed by most mobs. Weakened Albs, getting the 6 compactor (sp?) parts, retrieving the weapon from the pit - nope, I die EVERY TIME!

Still having fun, I just need to level up and get better armour and a gun I think.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. gurugeorge Arcane Patron

gurugeorge
    Strap Yourselves In
    As part of the preamble, he says he was a huge fan of Gothic I and II, and had been hoping that Elex would represent a "return to form" for PB after Risen 3 (which he couldn't even bear playing). It's worth checking out the review because, as I say, it's actually quite accurate in its criticism for the most part, and one can see what he's getting at. But the game obviously rubbed him the wrong way in a personal sense, so his critique is out of all proportion.

^ Top  
  7. Latelistener Arcane

Latelistener
    I've been butthurt about the lighting changes, but luckily there is a mod that brings back the old weather: https://www.nexusmods.com/elex/mods/55

I honestly have no idea what the fuck happened, but I think they wanted to make the nights brighter because someone complained.

Doing so, they've completely broken everything they've been tweaking for so long during development. Daytime became dark with broken contrast, indoors became even darker with broken HDR and nighttime became too bright.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Fluent Scholar Patron The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    Correct. Use your companion to help kill most things until u can handle yourself. It's even mentioned in the intro tutorial - the world is a dangerous place. PB doesn't make your typical level-scaled worlds where u can just kill every enemy u encounter at the first time u encounter them. ELEX on Ultra difficulty especially is a lot of running away and evading enemies for hours before u can handle yourself in a fight. Enjoy the journey, forget about the destination. Enjoy! <3

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Citizen Guest

Citizen
    Kruno, any ELEX2 news?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. xuerebx Augur

xuerebx
    Yep, level 10 now and it's a bit easier. I'm a big fan of their works, but it's been a while since I've played a PB game. Anyway, great stuff!

^ Top  
  11. Fluent Scholar Patron The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    Definitely! Glad to hear you're having fun. ELEX is pretty special.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. xuerebx Augur

xuerebx
    Question for those who have completed the main quest:

Show Spoiler
    I found a candidate to lead the army for the Clerics against the Albs - am I close to finishing the game? I've still not yet explored most of the map, so I want to hold off for now. I feel like I inadvertently progressed this far. Hopefully I'm wrong, but in any case I'll just not continue this quest line.

Also, if I have one complaint, it's the quest markers highlighting the exact location of certain individuals who I either have no clue who they are (so how did they come up on my adjudicator?), or who realistically I shouldn't know where they are exactly, such as the defected berserker to the cleric mine. Or the components which Falk needed.

A quest area 'circle', rather than an exact marker, would have been better.

Anyway, level 15 and still sometimes get my assed kicked if I don't time my attacks exactly :D

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    why would you even leave quest markers on

• Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    No, you still have quite a way to go.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. gurugeorge Arcane Patron

gurugeorge
    Strap Yourselves In
    Some of us have got homes to go to :)

^ Top  
  16. xuerebx Augur

xuerebx
    Thanks man!

Didn't even know there's an option to turn them off lol. Hopefully I still manage to find my ways to the destination now. :eek:

^ Top  
  17. xuerebx Augur

xuerebx
    The only problem I have with quest markers is that they push you towards a straight line to get to the objective. Many times turning them off leaves you clueless where to go next as the narrative doesn't give you good directions.

On the other hand I like that trainers and traders are marked as I dont have to remember the exact place in the city they are found - but they only show up AFTER you find them so my previous concern on exploration doesn't matter in this case.

^ Top  
  18. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    Isn't the objective still marked if you go to the map screen? That's how I seem to remember it.

^ Top  
  19. xuerebx Augur

xuerebx
    The map will show the objectives for quests which you specifically highlight. My comment was more of a generic observation for games in general though, not Elex specifically.

^ Top  
  20. xuerebx Augur

xuerebx
    So, 40 hours in and around level twenty something - this is a great action-RPG. The world is definitely the best part of the game: it's big enough to make the terrain varied and interesting, but small enough that you can traverse and explore most/all of it in one playthrough (I know there are some who love HUGE worlds, but at this point in time in my life, I'd rather have smaller worlds - not too small of course) without feeling everything is condensed. The quests and quest lines are interesting, and the combat is OK. And I wish that the attributes directly improve your skills (e.g. with more strength you hit harder).

While Kingdom Come: Deliverance was more immersive, I'm having more fun with Elex.

And the jetpack is a great idea to make you explore vertically!

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. RapineDel Arbiter

RapineDel
    Unfortunately this doesn't work.

Reddit for instance will say for any modern game "you can turn quest markers off! It's the perfect solution to make sure no one feels left out".

What happens though is developers design quests with the marker in mind so there's very little thought given to you naturally solving the quest by looking for clues in the game world.

It was very obvious in MMOs like WoW and LOTRO which had very obvious switches from no quest markers to having them overnight. Quest text quality suffered horribly.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    i played this with all quest markers turned off and managed easily so i'm afraid it does work

however i played this in germano, and the germano version is significantly superior :M

• Racist Racist x 2
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    TW3 is the perfect examaple. You CAN switch off the markers. And then some quests are doable and some are pain in the rectum because they weren't really designed for no markers. So you end up switching the markers on and off and then you just leave them all coz the game keeps busting your balls.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. RapineDel Arbiter

RapineDel
    Sure, you can play hide and seek with quest items but that has nothing to do with the design of the quests themselves.

That wasn't the case in pre quest markers world where quest text in games like Morrowind would have to give real directions which created actual immersion.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.