Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite Dangerous devs making a Warhammer Age of Sigmar RTS

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It is the most Elite Dangerous thing ever to come up with an absolutely brilliant game idea then fuck it up completely by doing one completely avoidable thing, namely Age of Sigmar

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is the most Elite Dangerous thing ever to come up with an absolutely brilliant game idea then fuck it up completely by doing one completely avoidable thing, namely Age of Sigmar
Honestly, does it even matter for an RTS what kind of lore or background do they base it on? If the gameplay is good, then it will be a good fucking game, even it takes place in one of the shittier Warhammer settings.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the end I'm just saying that just because their Elite game is ...questionable in design, they can do good, gameplay heavy games.
How is Elite questionable in design?
It is probably the best game of its kind out there.

The only thing somewhat close is X4, and that's a steaming pile of bugs (yes, still) and design decisions so stupid it boggles the mind.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In the end I'm just saying that just because their Elite game is ...questionable in design, they can do good, gameplay heavy games.

The only thing somewhat close is X4, and that's a steaming pile of bugs (yes, still) and design decisions so stupid it boggles the mind.
Jesus... If I'm saying good things about elite, I'm a retard. If I say it has issues, I'm still wrong.
You people are incredible. :D

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The RTS equivalent for Elite Dangerous would be releasing literally Starcraft 2 but you only had custom maps/skirmish mode vs the AI.

No campaign, no multiplayer, just the best game to actually play in terms of mechanics, with nothing to do in it.

Age of Sigmar is just a sign that Frontier is still kicking on with making extremely questionable while making their products.

Norfleet

And why an RTS? AoS' focus is mostly small armies / squad based.
RTSes are small armies, often squad-based, though. I mean, how many units do you typically have in an RTS? Not a LARGE army, for sure.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I suspect GW saw the success of TW Warhammer and falsely assumed making an AoS video game would raise interest in it, when the reason people like Wawa is that it isn't AoS and treats WHFB well.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The RTS equivalent for Elite Dangerous would be releasing literally Starcraft 2 but you only had custom maps/skirmish mode vs the AI.

No campaign, no multiplayer, just the best game to actually play in terms of mechanics, with nothing to do in it.
It's called a sandbox. You make your own goals. I'm having tons of things to do in it, for dozens of hours already and more to come, until I'm eventually satisfied.
Not everyone's cup of tea, sure, but there's nothing questionable about it. Might as well criticize M&B for it.

What IS questionable is that in-game store, but at least it's only cosmetics afaik... and you are earning the currency by just playing the game (albeit very slowly so I'm sure enough people pay with cash).

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There are literally only 4 things to do and the mechanics never change. You THINK there's something there because you're new to the game but ultimately it all comes down to "aiming at a thing" and "spending 70% of your time in witchspace".

The same design applies to JWE, you create a dino and put it in a cage and that's it. No personalities to the dinos, no management in your park. It's only gameplay in the most minimal sense.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
There are literally only 4 things to do and the mechanics never change. You THINK there's something there because you're new to the game but ultimately it all comes down to "aiming at a thing" and "spending 70% of your time in witchspace".

The same design applies to JWE, you create a dino and put it in a cage and that's it. No personalities to the dinos, no management in your park. It's only gameplay in the most minimal sense.
I'd hardly call having 50+ hours in a game being "new" to it. This ain't HoI4 ;)

Sure, you can fly somewhere, shoot things, transport things and generally aim at things. And you spend lots of time in space.
If you want, you can describe every single game every created with non-descriptions like that and make it sound super silly.

You know Battle Brothers? You can only click buttons there and tell your units to attack other units, using a limited set of abilities until one side is dead. It's the only thing you do and the mechanics never change. You THINK there's something there because you are new at the game but ultimately it all comes down to "click ability" and "spending 70% of your time hoping RNG won't fuck you too badly".

Look, I don't know where Frontier touched you in wrong ways, but it is pretty clear you have some bone to pick with them. But reaching as far as trying to paint a completely unrelated project in an artificially negative light seems unnecessary.

Especially given that JWE is indeed shallow for a game of its kind.
Which, given its closer relation to the RTS genre, might not bode too well.

Idk... I have 0 interest in Age Of Sigmar, though, so the gameplay would really have to be ecstatic to get me to buy this.
But just one glance at those ridiculous Sigmarines and all interest I might have had just evaporates immediately.

Edit:
Inb4 the project fails for obvious reasons and people claim it would be because "RTS is dead".

Last edited:

Aemar

Arcane
What is the difference between age of sigmar and the warhammer fantasy? I thought it was basically the same thing: zoomer edition?
fantasy-40k-fantasy-age-of-sigmar-fantasy-sorrynotsorry-61289715.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
While reading thread title:

Elite Dangerous devs making a Warhammer

:yeah:

...Age of Sigmar RTS

:rage:

If they were making a Warhammer fantasy RTS I'd say it's a bit redundant with Total Warhammer, if they were making a 40k RTS I'd be tentatively excited (tentatively because it's Frontier, and Elite Dangerous suggests they don't really approve of the whole concept of fun) but Age of Sigmar? Not even worth pirating.

Trithne

Erudite
Morbidly interested to see how they go about taking all the fun out of a Warhammer RTS. Though I guess being AoS instead of WHFB gives them some help.

on PC and console platforms... :hahano:
Has there been one RTS targeted for multi platform that was actually any good?

I think Supreme Commander was technically released on consoles though I have no idea how in the hell it would actually run on them.

Pretty sure that was Supreme Commander 2, which was massively stripped down from the previous game.

Morbidly interested to see how they go about taking all the fun out of a Warhammer RTS. Though I guess being AoS instead of WHFB gives them some help.

I think Supreme Commander was technically released on consoles though I have no idea how in the hell it would actually run on them.

Pretty sure that was Supreme Commander 2, which was massively stripped down from the previous game.

I looked it up and the original SupCom did indeed come out on the Xbox 360 (whereas Forged Alliance did not).

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I looked it up and the original SupCom did indeed come out on the Xbox 360 (whereas Forged Alliance did not).
though I don't think they targeted the xbox 360 from the get go: released on PC in 02/2007, on xbox in 09/2008 and the port was made by another studio

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom