Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite Dangerous - Yay or Nay?

Nice job with the release Frontier. Funny how ED slowly overtakes Star Citizen, which might have a better tech, but ED at least comes out as a functional game, not just a tech demo for different mechanics.
Can you shut the fuck up with these double standards. Being a "functional game" means nothing when your core gameplay is bland, boring and you can see the corners cut. Lots of shit games are "functional games". There are people out there who call Cyberpunk a "functional game". Why are you ED dads so satisfied with absolute shit and ask for seconds. Gunplay in odyssey is awful. The fucking taxi has this bizarre stretched out cockpit that someone did in an hour. You can SEE WHERE THE TEXTURES WERE STRETCHED. They didn't even bother touching it up. The missions are bland (just like regular ED) and the game is full of jank and glitches.

If any of you say "but it's only an alpha" then you can't shit on Star Citizen when it's janky either. CIG aren't claiming the game is released either. But we have to defend one man indie studio Frontier for not having the resources to not be lazy bastards. Odyssey is going to be pathetic. And I can't believe THIS is what you're using to dunk on Star Citizen. It's like using McDonalds to dunk on a five star restaurant because the food came out quicker. Doesn't matter that it's bland, cheapily made, missing the cheese and sauce you were promised and contains high amounts of Estrogen. It came out first. Therefore it's magically "better."

And no I'm not going to defend SC at this point. I'm fed up with a whole bunch of shit CIG is doing. But treat these games equally or they both get a pass to do dodgy shit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nice job with the release Frontier. Funny how ED slowly overtakes Star Citizen, which might have a better tech, but ED at least comes out as a functional game, not just a tech demo for different mechanics.
Can you shut the fuck up with these double standards.
8Ntn2uj.gif

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There's no reason to assume SC won't end up exactly like ED now. I see nothing that indicates their player agency would be any better.

Mortmal

Arcane
I really wasn't impressed by the Odyssey demo mission they had in that video. But I still think it has a lot of potential.

Imagine different options for SRVs and not just Scarabs. And you could customize those just as much as your ship. And guards and other players could all have relatively easy access to anti-armor weapons, so you would be forced to work in combined forces. Infantry take out threats to the tank and the tank takes out threats to the infantry.

Imagine a close air support role for your ship. Now there will be a reason to equip dumbfire rockets. And base anti-air defenses would get a huge upgrade so you can't just hover in midair and rain missiles all over the place. And when the system defense forces arrive, your air support and getaway ship would be in real danger. And there would be a shield around the base that goes up either by default or when the base is under attack, and the infantry have to go inside a building to disable the shield so your ship can drop bombs or extract the team.

Imagine actually using turret weapons on your ship so you can lay down cover fire during the extraction.

Imagine planetary combat zones or battles inside and around a station or megaship where infantry, armor, and aerospace are all fighting and they all have a role and they are all balanced and they all have counters to each other.

Those all sound pretty exciting to me. But I'm still pretty sure that the gameplay will be the exact same thing we already have, just on a smaller scale: Grind to upgrade your suit and your weapon. Get a mission; fly to location; get out on foot; shoot, scan, or retrieve the objective; return for reward.
yeah but.. that's pretty much :
Imagine them making a good game. It requires lot of imagination for sure.

ADL

Prophet
I've been watching a lot of footage and space legs seems decent enough but I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be as much of a pillar in the gameplay loop as I'm seeing in streams and YouTube videos or whether this is just the new thing that people will get bored of. As always, it all depends on the rewards and whether or not they're up to par with the rest of the content being offered.

Also what's the incentive for them to keep iterating on space leg content when it's all locked behind a $40 expansion long-term? Because you know in the background they're working on something else the minute this drops. They'll need to MTX the shit out of suit and weapon skins to stay interested long enough for this to become as fleshed out as this feature deserves.

ADL

Prophet
New PvEvP mode. This is the kind of stuff I was hoping Odyssey would have.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
That's cool, I guess. But I think you kind of have to force yourself to ignore any kind of in-universe explanation for it. It's just tacking an FPS onto a flight sim.

Any single one of those guys on your fireteam (including yourself) could have more of an impact on the battle by getting in his ship and blasting the other team with ship-mounted weapons. So the thing that would make the most sense is for everyone to get in their ships and shoot each other from there.

The ground battles in Odyssey would make a lot more sense if there were some reason why you had to fight on the ground. Like maybe if there were hundreds of soldiers fighting and they didn't all own hundred-million-credit space ships, and/or there were some forcefield around the battlefield, or there was really heavy AA shooting down the space ships, so you had to fight on foot. But I don't see any of that here. You just go sign up for FPS fighting with no more explanation than their Close Combat Championship thing, or whatever it's called, which I never played anyway.

Codex Year of the Donut
Any single one of those guys on your fireteam (including yourself) could have more of an impact on the battle by getting in his ship and blasting the other team with ship-mounted weapons. So the thing that would make the most sense is for everyone to get in their ships and shoot each other from there.

The ground battles in Odyssey would make a lot more sense if there were some reason why you had to fight on the ground. Like maybe if there were hundreds of soldiers fighting and they didn't all own hundred-million-credit space ships, and/or there were some forcefield around the battlefield, or there was really heavy AA shooting down the space ships, so you had to fight on foot. But I don't see any of that here.
what are typical reasons popular sci-fi media use to justify close quarters combat?

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
what are typical reasons popular sci-fi media use to justify close quarters combat?

Star Wars: The Millennium Falcon can't escape because the Death Star's tractor beam would just pull it back in. The party has to disable the tractor beam and fight stormtroopers in order to escape.

Empire Strikes Back: The Rebel base on Hoth has a big force field and heavy AA shooting down space ships that come too close, so the Empire has to land AT-ATs and stormtroopers to attack the base from the ground.

Dune: Muad'dib doesn't have an air force and the Harkonnen don't have enough air support to cover the whole planet. And what's an ornithopter going to do against a sandworm anyway?

Starship Troopers: "There can be circumstances when it's just as foolish to hit an enemy with an H-Bomb as it would be to spank a baby with an ax. War is not violence and killing, pure and simple; war is controlled violence, for a purpose." So the Mobile Infantry come in and cause problems for the enemy instead of bombing the planet from orbit. And later they have to invade a bug hive to find and capture a Brain Bug.

Aliens: The Colonial Marines are supposed to make contact with the colonists on LV-426. When they find out what happened, Hicks agrees with Ripley: They need to take off and nuke the site from orbit. But then a xenomorph hiding aboard the dropship kills the pilot and the Marines are stuck on the planet, fighting with small arms until Bishop can remote pilot the second dropship down to pick up survivors.

Great science fiction always has a good reason for close-quarters combat. Nothing resembling the reasons listed above seem relevant to Odyssey. The FPS mode in Odyssey seems to have no more explanation than the space-based combat zones in vanilla Elite. Some random variable change says that two factions in a system are now at war with each other, so you show up at a station, pick up a mission, then go to a combat zone to destroy X number of enemy ships. The mission shown in the video above seems to be the exact same thing, only on foot instead of in a ship. And with no explanation at all for why you can't carpet-bomb the enemy from the safety of your Corvette.

Edit: Oh, and happy Kruno Day.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Great science fiction always has a good reason for close-quarters combat. Nothing resembling the reasons listed above seem relevant to Odyssey. The FPS mode in Odyssey seems to have no more explanation than the space-based combat zones in vanilla Elite. Some random variable change says that two factions in a system are now at war with each other, so you show up at a station, pick up a mission, then go to a combat zone to destroy X number of enemy ships. The mission shown in the video above seems to be the exact same thing, only on foot instead of in a ship. And with no explanation at all for why you can't carpet-bomb the enemy from the safety of your Corvette.

I find it interesting how Star Trek Online and Star Wars Galaxies resolved these issues with barely any budget but these studios with more money than there's ever been can't give us anything beyond a fetch quest gimmick. Even Derek Smart was able to do better lol.

Stokowski

Arcane
I don't play truck simulators to walk around and take a piss at the petrol stations. Or knife larpers in the brothel parking lots.

Dunno why they're so intent on inserting wandering about and mano-a-mano pew-pew-ing in mah spaceship game. Cockpit views, an orange HUD and a nice set of multicannons are all that's needed. Guess Star Citizen has them worried, but they really should focus on improving what they have instead of fucking around with yet another layer of half-baked features that'll soon be collecting dust.

:hahano:

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Can you shut the fuck up with these double standards. Being a "functional game" means nothing when your core gameplay is bland, boring and you can see the corners cut. Lots of shit games are "functional games". There are people out there who call Cyberpunk a "functional game". Why are you ED dads so satisfied with absolute shit and ask for seconds. Gunplay in odyssey is awful. The fucking taxi has this bizarre stretched out cockpit that someone did in an hour. You can SEE WHERE THE TEXTURES WERE STRETCHED. They didn't even bother touching it up. The missions are bland (just like regular ED) and the game is full of jank and glitches.

If any of you say "but it's only an alpha" then you can't shit on Star Citizen when it's janky either. CIG aren't claiming the game is released either. But we have to defend one man indie studio Frontier for not having the resources to not be lazy bastards. Odyssey is going to be pathetic. And I can't believe THIS is what you're using to dunk on Star Citizen. It's like using McDonalds to dunk on a five star restaurant because the food came out quicker. Doesn't matter that it's bland, cheapily made, missing the cheese and sauce you were promised and contains high amounts of Estrogen. It came out first. Therefore it's magically "better."

And no I'm not going to defend SC at this point. I'm fed up with a whole bunch of shit CIG is doing. But treat these games equally or they both get a pass to do dodgy shit.
lol
>comparing star citizen to a 5 star restauarant
how much money did you waste on this shit be honest

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The best trick David Braben, Chris Roberts, and whoever's in charge of Egosoft ever pulled was convincing people that the games they're making these days have anything to with space.
They don't. In fact, everything about these games is specifically setup to make you hate space, and the entire romance of being a spaceship pilot. Those games are selling you the fantasy of being a FedEx employee.

That people actually, unironically argue about them and compare them to five star restaurants is just sad. It's a hole-in-the-wall that sells you terrible, greasy food that doesn't even taste great, but you still eat there because it reminds you of childhood and better times.

Fuck Roberts, fuck Braben, but most importantly, fuck space game nerds who treat their """products""" as anything other than the slop it is.

Last edited:

Norfleet

I find it interesting how Star Trek Online and Star Wars Galaxies resolved these issues with barely any budget
The issue of why ground combats exist in space? Most of the time, they exist out of pure hamfisted railroading on the part of the developers. This is especially true in STO: You shoot down a bunch of bad guys in space and beam down. There are presently no bad guys there...but somehow, some bad guys spontaneously also manage to beam down despite the fact that you just destroyed them in space and therefore have total air superiority.

The primary game-related justification for the existence of close-quarters combat is the inability to loot the corpses of people you nuke from orbit.

ADL

Prophet
lol
He's right though. Saying "well at least X released..." means fuck-all when the released product is boring shit that should've stayed in development for another five years. Elite Dangerous' approach of "we'll release space trucker simulator and patch in major mechanics for everyone else like atmospheric flight and space legs later" was incredibly wrong. Especially since the game is procgen.

I believe I said this on a previous page but really what's the long-term incentive to improve Odyssey once it's out? Whatever potential it has will be squandered by the fact that their business model doesn't account for patching a feature exclusive to a $40 expansion released six years later.

Last edited:

lol

I refuse to defend Star Citizen. But whether it comes out or not is immaterial to Elite's shittyness. "At least it's released" means nothing if the game released is shit. Odyssey is a pathetic shit show. Even ignoring SC look at OTHER FPS games released in the last 20 years. Stop being so easily pleased. SC exists in a bubble of whales and therefore is no competition for Elite. Which is why Elite has become so stagnant.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Installing the DLC now.

I think I parked my ship about 10k ly east of Sag A*. Hmmm.

DraQ

Arcane
The Expanse: You want stuff that's there (all the precious info from flagship's CIC, find out what's actually happening on that research station, etc.).
Dune: Muad'dib doesn't have an air force and the Harkonnen don't have enough air support to cover the whole planet. And what's an ornithopter going to do against a sandworm anyway? Too dumb to stick a lasgun on a basic solid fuel rocket for a ghetto Davy Crockett.
Fix'd.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have only played the tutorial and got between 60 and 70fps on 3600 with 4.5ghz all core and a 5700 oc'd to 2100mhz. Everything maxed with scaling at 1.25x. But I am only at 1080p. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the movement felt. I was using controller though so maybe it's m&kb controls that are bad?

Oh and wait, FPS did drop in the building with the fires and controls definitely felt sluggish sub 60 FPS. I just hope I can keep a steady 60 when flying....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom