Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Elite Dangerous - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Space Games' started by Jools, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Trans-Financial-Man Prophet

Trans-Financial-Man
    Can you shut the fuck up with these double standards. Being a "functional game" means nothing when your core gameplay is bland, boring and you can see the corners cut. Lots of shit games are "functional games". There are people out there who call Cyberpunk a "functional game". Why are you ED dads so satisfied with absolute shit and ask for seconds. Gunplay in odyssey is awful. The fucking taxi has this bizarre stretched out cockpit that someone did in an hour. You can SEE WHERE THE TEXTURES WERE STRETCHED. They didn't even bother touching it up. The missions are bland (just like regular ED) and the game is full of jank and glitches.

If any of you say "but it's only an alpha" then you can't shit on Star Citizen when it's janky either. CIG aren't claiming the game is released either. But we have to defend one man indie studio Frontier for not having the resources to not be lazy bastards. Odyssey is going to be pathetic. And I can't believe THIS is what you're using to dunk on Star Citizen. It's like using McDonalds to dunk on a five star restaurant because the food came out quicker. Doesn't matter that it's bland, cheapily made, missing the cheese and sauce you were promised and contains high amounts of Estrogen. It came out first. Therefore it's magically "better."

And no I'm not going to defend SC at this point. I'm fed up with a whole bunch of shit CIG is doing. But treat these games equally or they both get a pass to do dodgy shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    There's no reason to assume SC won't end up exactly like ED now. I see nothing that indicates their player agency would be any better.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    did you just assume scam citizen will ever be finished?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    yeah but.. that's pretty much :
    Imagine them making a good game. It requires lot of imagination for sure.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge
    I've been watching a lot of footage and space legs seems decent enough but I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be as much of a pillar in the gameplay loop as I'm seeing in streams and YouTube videos or whether this is just the new thing that people will get bored of. As always, it all depends on the rewards and whether or not they're up to par with the rest of the content being offered.

Also what's the incentive for them to keep iterating on space leg content when it's all locked behind a $40 expansion long-term? Because you know in the background they're working on something else the minute this drops. They'll need to MTX the shit out of suit and weapon skins to stay interested long enough for this to become as fleshed out as this feature deserves.

^ Top  
  7. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge
    New PvEvP mode. This is the kind of stuff I was hoping Odyssey would have.

^ Top  
  8. Nathaniel3W Rockwell Studios Patron Developer

Nathaniel3W
    Strap Yourselves In
    That's cool, I guess. But I think you kind of have to force yourself to ignore any kind of in-universe explanation for it. It's just tacking an FPS onto a flight sim.

Any single one of those guys on your fireteam (including yourself) could have more of an impact on the battle by getting in his ship and blasting the other team with ship-mounted weapons. So the thing that would make the most sense is for everyone to get in their ships and shoot each other from there.

The ground battles in Odyssey would make a lot more sense if there were some reason why you had to fight on the ground. Like maybe if there were hundreds of soldiers fighting and they didn't all own hundred-million-credit space ships, and/or there were some forcefield around the battlefield, or there was really heavy AA shooting down the space ships, so you had to fight on foot. But I don't see any of that here. You just go sign up for FPS fighting with no more explanation than their Close Combat Championship thing, or whatever it's called, which I never played anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    what are typical reasons popular sci-fi media use to justify close quarters combat?

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Nathaniel3W Rockwell Studios Patron Developer

Nathaniel3W
    Strap Yourselves In
    Star Wars: The Millennium Falcon can't escape because the Death Star's tractor beam would just pull it back in. The party has to disable the tractor beam and fight stormtroopers in order to escape.

Empire Strikes Back: The Rebel base on Hoth has a big force field and heavy AA shooting down space ships that come too close, so the Empire has to land AT-ATs and stormtroopers to attack the base from the ground.

Dune: Muad'dib doesn't have an air force and the Harkonnen don't have enough air support to cover the whole planet. And what's an ornithopter going to do against a sandworm anyway?

Starship Troopers: "There can be circumstances when it's just as foolish to hit an enemy with an H-Bomb as it would be to spank a baby with an ax. War is not violence and killing, pure and simple; war is controlled violence, for a purpose." So the Mobile Infantry come in and cause problems for the enemy instead of bombing the planet from orbit. And later they have to invade a bug hive to find and capture a Brain Bug.

Aliens: The Colonial Marines are supposed to make contact with the colonists on LV-426. When they find out what happened, Hicks agrees with Ripley: They need to take off and nuke the site from orbit. But then a xenomorph hiding aboard the dropship kills the pilot and the Marines are stuck on the planet, fighting with small arms until Bishop can remote pilot the second dropship down to pick up survivors.

Great science fiction always has a good reason for close-quarters combat. Nothing resembling the reasons listed above seem relevant to Odyssey. The FPS mode in Odyssey seems to have no more explanation than the space-based combat zones in vanilla Elite. Some random variable change says that two factions in a system are now at war with each other, so you show up at a station, pick up a mission, then go to a combat zone to destroy X number of enemy ships. The mission shown in the video above seems to be the exact same thing, only on foot instead of in a ship. And with no explanation at all for why you can't carpet-bomb the enemy from the safety of your Corvette.

Edit: Oh, and happy Kruno Day.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. RobotSquirrel Learned

RobotSquirrel
    I find it interesting how Star Trek Online and Star Wars Galaxies resolved these issues with barely any budget but these studios with more money than there's ever been can't give us anything beyond a fetch quest gimmick. Even Derek Smart was able to do better lol.

^ Top  
  12. Stokowski Arcane

Stokowski
    I don't play truck simulators to walk around and take a piss at the petrol stations. Or knife larpers in the brothel parking lots.

Dunno why they're so intent on inserting wandering about and mano-a-mano pew-pew-ing in mah spaceship game. Cockpit views, an orange HUD and a nice set of multicannons are all that's needed. Guess Star Citizen has them worried, but they really should focus on improving what they have instead of fucking around with yet another layer of half-baked features that'll soon be collecting dust.

:hahano:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. bertram_tung Arcane Patron

bertram_tung
    Insert Title Here
    lol
    >comparing star citizen to a 5 star restauarant
    how much money did you waste on this shit be honest

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. I ASK INANE QUESTIONS ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING Patron

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS
    The best trick David Braben, Chris Roberts, and whoever's in charge of Egosoft ever pulled was convincing people that the games they're making these days have anything to with space.
    They don't. In fact, everything about these games is specifically setup to make you hate space, and the entire romance of being a spaceship pilot. Those games are selling you the fantasy of being a FedEx employee.

That people actually, unironically argue about them and compare them to five star restaurants is just sad. It's hole-in-the-wall that sells you terrible, greasy food that doesn't even taste great, but you still eat it because it reminds you of childhood and better times.

Fuck Roberts, fuck Braben, but most importantly, fuck space game nerds who treat their """products""" as anything other than the slop it is.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    • Brofist x 3
    • Despair x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Stokowski Arcane

Stokowski
    Are you D*r*k Sm*rt?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    The issue of why ground combats exist in space? Most of the time, they exist out of pure hamfisted railroading on the part of the developers. This is especially true in STO: You shoot down a bunch of bad guys in space and beam down. There are presently no bad guys there...but somehow, some bad guys spontaneously also manage to beam down despite the fact that you just destroyed them in space and therefore have total air superiority.

The primary game-related justification for the existence of close-quarters combat is the inability to loot the corpses of people you nuke from orbit.

^ Top  
  17. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge
    He's right though. Saying "well at least X released..." means fuck-all when the released product is boring shit that should've stayed in development for another five years. Elite Dangerous' approach of "we'll release space trucker simulator and patch in major mechanics for everyone else like atmospheric flight and space legs later" was incredibly wrong. Especially since the game is procgen.

I believe I said this on a previous page but really what's the long-term incentive to improve Odyssey once it's out? Whatever potential it has will be squandered by the fact that their business model doesn't account for patching a feature exclusive to a $40 expansion released six years later.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Trans-Financial-Man Prophet

Trans-Financial-Man
    I refuse to defend Star Citizen. But whether it comes out or not is immaterial to Elite's shittyness. "At least it's released" means nothing if the game released is shit. Odyssey is a pathetic shit show. Even ignoring SC look at OTHER FPS games released in the last 20 years. Stop being so easily pleased. SC exists in a bubble of whales and therefore is no competition for Elite. Which is why Elite has become so stagnant.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. DDZ Red blood, white skin, blue collar Patron

DDZ
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Installing the DLC now.

I think I parked my ship about 10k ly east of Sag A*. Hmmm.

^ Top  
  21. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    The Expanse: You want stuff that's there (all the precious info from flagship's CIC, find out what's actually happening on that research station, etc.).
    Fix'd.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    So, how broken is it? :lol:

upload_2021-5-19_23-6-1.png

• Funny Funny x 1
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge
    Does it suck? I hear it's getting sub-30FPS on 3080/Ryzen 7 systems at 1440p
    Edit: Picked it up for $27 on cdkeys.com and even got the pre-order suit, runs like shit, the on foot controls feel sub-par but overall I can't complain for the price.
    https://www.cdkeys.com/elite-dangerous-odyssey-pc-dlc-steam

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. DDZ Red blood, white skin, blue collar Patron

DDZ
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I have only played the tutorial and got between 60 and 70fps on 3600 with 4.5ghz all core and a 5700 oc'd to 2100mhz. Everything maxed with scaling at 1.25x. But I am only at 1080p. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the movement felt. I was using controller though so maybe it's m&kb controls that are bad?

Oh and wait, FPS did drop in the building with the fires and controls definitely felt sluggish sub 60 FPS. I just hope I can keep a steady 60 when flying....

^ Top  
  25. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    Screenshot_20210519-203759_Brave.jpg

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.