Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Embracer Group acquires Square Enix's Western studios and IPs (Deus Ex, Thief, Tomb Raider, etc)

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I hope this means we get an ending to the Adam Jensen Deus Ex Trilogy

:neveraskedforthis:

Dodo1610

Arcane
An immersive Sim like Deus Ex will definitely have better chances as a AA title but the idea of a new low budget Tomb raider doesn't sound promising.
At least everyone those studios will be celebrating knowing that they never have to make Marvel shit again.

Hopefully they contact Nightdive soon for a Legacy of Kain remaster, the current PC version is barly working.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
300 million for all these IPs seems to be dirt cheap. S-E must have been really jonesing to get rid of them.
Nah,they are just retarded.
Once the desu ex and tomb aa games sales make 10 times their investment square is gonna be pissed.

Cross

Arcane
If I'm reading it correctly, they acquired not just the IPs, but also the studios that botched Thief, Tomb Raider and Deus Ex, so I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Though THQ Nordic could let other studios work on the IPs.

more than 50 back-catalogue games from Square Enix Holdings
Does anyone have a list of these games?

Last edited:

toughasnails

If I'm reading it correctly, they acquired not just the IPs, but also the studios that botched Thief, Tomb Raider and Deus Ex, so I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Though THQ Nordic could let other studios work on the IPs.
Current TR series did p well both financially and in terms of critical reception, I'd hardly call that botched hoverer you felt about those games personally. I'm pretty sure that series is continuing in the same direction. As for DE, both Jensen games well received although the second one underperformed. People were asking for a conclusion to that trilogy for years now, so it might actually happen.
Thief is the one you have no reason to fear about, I doubt anyone is thinking the continuation of 2014 at all likely. I generally think that the new Thief game is much less likely compared to DE in any case, as i said on the last page the best we can expect for the time being might be HD rereleases of the original games (Night Dive has shown interest in doing that in the past).

the idea of a new low budget Tomb raider doesn't sound promising.
Depends on what it would be. I could see a spin off in the style of old TR games, without need for cinematic presentation and competing with the likes of Uncharted or TLoU, actually working coming from a smaller team working on limited budget. It would certainly appease the legacy fans who are unhappy with the new games.

Fargus

Arcane
Square Enix is the worst thing that happened to these franchises. I would've said that it's good, them finally removing their stinking, disgusting paws from thief and deus ex. But i have 0 expectations for modern games, so whatever.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Better they end up in the hands of a group who *might* do something more than sit on them or pump-out yearly releases wrought with modern design bloat.

I mean, it'll probably end up being nothing but remasters/remakes of varying faithfulness with only the vague promise of AA sequels far in the future, but that's already a better fate than continuing to languish beneath SE's baleful fist.

Last edited:

Hobknobling

Learned
Realistically which studio can handle a new Thief? I feel like they would book Night Dive for a remaster of The Dark Project first, but when it comes to Thief 5 it's not like there are a lot of choices out there.

Coffee Stain developed Sanctum 2 and Satisfactory and published Deep Rock Galactic and Valheim. At a glance, they seem to be the most competent part of the Embracer Group.

So of course Gearbox will land the rights.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

Curratum

I don't even particularly care about a new Thief game, I have my fan missions to last me forever.

But the Deus Ex fans... Oooooh, how sweet it will be when they completely ruin that...

Screeching, crawling on their bellies, wallowing, begging for HR and MD again, given what the new title will be, and it will be such a sight to behold! :D

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
THQ Nordic publishes a good game now and then, but most of their output is junk. :\ Imagine Deus Ex given the ELEX II treatment (maybe that was entirely Piranha Bytes's fault, I don't know).

Square Enix is the worst thing that happened to these franchises. I would've said that it's good, them finally removing their stinking, disgusting paws from thief and deus ex. But i have 0 expectations for modern games, so whatever.
The DX games had some issues, but they were significantly better than Invisible War so I wouldn't say "the worst thing." :M

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Where are the Nightdive Thief 1&2 remasters with the Thief 2 Gold expansion pack?
Likely on the table after their done faffing around with System Shock and System Shock II. They've expressed a want to do Thief, and now more than ever that seems like an inevitabilty. Though whether or not they learned anything from both Shocks in up in the air.

Flashforward four years from now, after Thief ReTaffered Edition finally releases after a prolonged development cycle marked by a total design rehaul once they realized people weren't backing because they wanted another fucking Dishonored.

Sentinel

Arcane
I hope this means we get an ending to the Adam Jensen Deus Ex Trilogy

:neveraskedforthis:
Mankind Divided already ended perfectly. His DNA was cloned to make other Jensens (including the fake Jensen that you play as) that will later serve as the backbone of the Men In Black project in Deus Ex.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The most important question is, of all the future new games of our beloved franchises, how many will have a protagonist that is a sassy black woman?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Where are the Nightdive Thief 1&2 remasters with the Thief 2 Gold expansion pack?

Why do we need them?

Thief works perfectly. Has billions of extra levels. There's nothing to improve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom