Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Embracer Group acquires Square Enix's Western studios and IPs (Deus Ex, Thief, Tomb Raider, etc)

Gargaune

Magister
I don't even particularly care about a new Thief game, I have my fan missions to last me forever.

But the Deus Ex fans... Oooooh, how sweet it will be when they completely ruin that...

Screeching, crawling on their bellies, wallowing, begging for HR and MD again, given what the new title will be, and it will be such a sight to behold! :D
:badnews:

toughasnails

Why do we need them?

Thief works perfectly. Has billions of extra levels. There's nothing to improve.
Console versions.
Also, even on PC, have you noticed how many people played Quake only once the official remaster came out on Steam even though source ports were available for aeons.
HD remasters could potentially attract new fans on PC and consoles alike so at least for that they'd be a good thing.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bought more Embracer stock for around $5k
cover5.jpg

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Actually for Square Enix only Tomb Raider was successful franchise. Deus Ex and Thief weren't so they are quite hesitant to make new games which are now even more expensive to make. Deus Ex and Thief are very risky move.

I expect to see new Thief this E3 since it has been too long we haven't seen anything about it.

E3 both physical and digital have been cancelled.

Terra

Cipher
Thank christ for that, Square-Enix couldn't manage a piss-up in a brewery as far as their western studios & IP are concerned, hopefully we might get that Deus Ex sequel and more now that Embracer has taken over. Just a case of matching the right IPs with the right developers now, which aside from that Gothic teaser, Embracer has been doing a decent job of.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Where the fuck are they getting all the money for this?

image.png

300 million for all these IPs seems to be dirt cheap. S-E must have been really jonesing to get rid of them.

Squeenix has for years been blaming their failures on their filthy gaijin studios and IP's
Plus, aside from Tomb Raider all these IP's THQ just aquired are essentially dead and unsuitable as far as AAA productions go

Hard to have strong feelings about this. On the one hand Squeenix has colossally mismanaged every IP coming out of their western studios, but on the other hand THQNordic has done little to demonstrate an ability to move beyond their shovelware roots.

Alan

Novice
I hope there is somebody interested in the series who can get a chance now. They don't seem ripe for exploitation these days, so one can hope for a passion project

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Squeenix has for years been blaming their failures on their filthy gaijin studios and IP's
Plus, aside from Tomb Raider all these IP's THQ just aquired are essentially dead and unsuitable as far as AAA productions go

I would rather they aren't AAA. Maybe hand them off to a few different medium smalli teams who have a passion for each IP and make something fun to play.

J1M

Arcane
I hope this means we get an ending to the Adam Jensen Deus Ex Trilogy

:neveraskedforthis:

We don't need an ending. If they stop making his games, the story will end. Problem solved.
Prequels are dumb. So is risking your life for a girl that dumped you. If they feel the need to wrap up Jensen's story, it should be done as a DLC for a new game with a new protagonist.

At this point, I think I would even be in favor of a complete reboot focused on modern conspiracies. But I really hope they would go for a stand-alone kitchen sink approach instead of stretching one conspiracy across an entire trilogy.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
In before THQ Nordic hires a developer to create an open world Thief game. :M

Thief could work as "open world" provided the world was a single city that functioned as a hub with procedural generated houses as filler between the actual levels. Would be a lot of work to make it something other than just an artificial extender.

J1M

Arcane
In before THQ Nordic hires a developer to create an open world Thief game. :M

Thief could work as "open world" provided the world was a single city that functioned as a hub with procedural generated houses as filler between the actual levels. Would be a lot of work to make it something other than just an artificial extender.
Thief should be made in the mold of the new Hitman games, but with less lethal objectives.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I don't actually see this changing much, except we might get new and extremely mediocre entries in Deux Ex and Thief. Maybe a few others. Most of the franchises that are already dead are going to stay dead, while the ones that are not are going to be in the hands of the people who ruined them. Legacy of Kain in particular should remain dead, isn't the guy (or gal?) responsible for the story, I.E., the only part anyone cared about, dead? I think that might make the long awaited followup worse than expected.

deuxhero

Arcane
Henning is still alive and working. She's in the middle of another project right now, but I'm sure she has already been told they'll hire her when she's done with that.

Really though, THQ Nordic's big thing is re-releases that just continue to sell on their own as digital sales for basically passive income. Deus Ex is actually a good candidate for one, as the original game is only mostly functional on modern systems (and will get worse), has some blatant bugs and the only console release was a stripped down PS2 port. I think the original idea for a third game set immediately after the net dies was interesting, but I could never expect modern devs to do it justice.

In-fact, I think Epic mentioned a UE1 source release was legally possible since it didn't have all the middleware UE2 on did. It would be neat (if not terribly likely) if that could be arranged.

Zlaja

Arcane
In an interview with Yahoo Japan, the exec said he believed that focusing only on traditional games would be “not enough” for the company going forwards, and described his vision for titles in which users would create content and be rewarded for their work (Matsuda previously said Square Enix could create its own cryptocurrency

Ahahahaha.....these niggers are fucking whack!

E3 both physical and digital have been cancelled.
Summer game fest is digital "E3" now.

"Summer game fest" sounds like some grooming style summer camp for kids.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom