Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Embracer Group acquires Square Enix's Western studios and IPs (Deus Ex, Thief, Tomb Raider, etc)

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's a reason for it. I personally believe there's going to be a shift to a universal digital currency as all global economies collapse and they're just prepping for/dabbling in it it sort of.

If there is a global economic collapse there will be far greater problems than digital currency.

Alphons

Cipher
A reminder that all of the original developers of your beloved games no longer work in the companies that made them. They've been replaced by creatively bankrupt SJW retards that love to shit on everything you love.

To be honest original developers are also creatively bankrupt retards that love to shit on everything we love.

The market is filled with turds from The Original Developers Of™

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
A reminder that all of the original developers of your beloved games no longer work in the companies that made them. They've been replaced by creatively bankrupt SJW retards that love to shit on everything you love.

To be honest original developers are also creatively bankrupt retards that love to shit on everything we love.

The market is filled with turds from The Original Developers Of™

I'll agree to disagree with ya.

Star Citizen

Learned
There's a reason for it. I personally believe there's going to be a shift to a universal digital currency as all global economies collapse and they're just prepping for/dabbling in it it sort of.

If there is a global economic collapse there will be far greater problems than digital currency.

For us today maybe. These corps however will still exist, going off topic however here tho.

Dodo1610

Arcane
So far SE hasn't announced any NFT/web 3.0 project so it's possible that this is primarily an attempt to look better for investors/potential buyers. Something similar happened during the AR/VR hype in the last decade: a lot of promises and announcements from lots of tech and gaming companies but very few actual released products.

Grimlorn

Arcane

Yeah. Gold would be king during a collapse. I think digital currency would also likely collapse. Unless all these countries decide to use one universal one, but that would likely mean regulating and destroying the value of all the other digital coins.

Grimlorn

Arcane
How would you guys feel about LoK being revived as some sort of souls-like? I imagine they'd be looking to add something that follows that trend in their portfolio and LoK might look like a good choice given its theme and tone. Maybe they could give it to devs behind Darksiders 3 and Remnant.
That would be a terrible idea. I think they should just make one sequel to Defiance and finish the series. I'm not sure there needs to be other games in the series, or they could be satisfying when we all new the big bad is that fake God. Everything that happens with vampires between Kain taking over and Raziel's revenge is superfluous.

This is what happens when companies make decisions solely on the fear of missing out.

Never thought I'd see big corps acting retarded as get rich quick cryptobros.

This feels like a very stupid understanding of blockchain. Square Enix didn't announce they're getting in the NFT business, they said they're looking into blockchain technologies. NFTs run on blockchain, but blockchain is not just NFTs. In a few years everyone will be using blockchain for something, even if they don't know it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This feels like a very stupid understanding of blockchain. Square Enix didn't announce they're getting in the NFT business, they said they're looking into blockchain technologies. NFTs run on blockchain, but blockchain is not just NFTs. In a few years everyone will be using blockchain for something, even if they don't know it.

Blockchain is an interesting technology for sure and yet all it runs on at the moment is scams, so it's easy to see why people regard its value similar to that of NFTs

toughasnails

That would be a terrible idea. I think they should just make one sequel to Defiance and finish the series. I'm not sure there needs to be other games in the series, or they could be satisfying when we all new the big bad is that fake God. Everything that happens with vampires between Kain taking over and Raziel's revenge is superfluous.
A bit too late for a direct sequel so some sort of reboot is much more likely imo. That in the case anything actually happens outside of possible remasters of old games.
And btw it's not like the series gameplay has changed a lot from one title to the next so that it is hard to say how a LoK game is supposed to play. Defiance for example was definitely chasing trends of its day, with tis combat and cinematic camera angles being directly inspired by the first Devil May Cry.

Grimlorn

Arcane
A bit too late for a direct sequel so some sort of reboot is much more likely imo. That in the case anything actually happens outside of possible remasters of old games.
And btw it's not like the series gameplay has changed a lot from one title to the next so that it is hard to say how a LoK game is supposed to play. Defiance for example was definitely chasing trends of its day, with tis combat and cinematic camera angles being directly inspired by the first Devil May Cry.
If it's too late then they should just let the series die. The only reason I said they should make a sequel is so the series could finish, and because I suspect that the old developers might be around or an old design doc on what the sequel would have been about is around. I have no faith in modern developers to reboot the series and make it good. The turn it into a Souls clone idea is exactly the kind of stupid idea a modern dev would come up with and fail at trying to implement. LoK series doesn't need to imitate Souls games. In fact, no other series should be imitating From Software's Souls games. They should come up with their own ideas.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they just reboot it, go back to the original game, (maybe tease Soul Reaver at the end) and the game plays something like Diablo. Seems like if you were doing a new Legacy of Kain game you'd just remake it, and either go back to the very beginning, or go back to Soul Reaver...which is probably the best known of the games. Doing some isometric style hack and slash also seems like an easy way of keeping the budget down, which I'm sure anyone would want to do if they're making a new Legacy of Kain game, and hack and slash games similar to Diablo seems to be a market again.

I wonder how long before Volition is making an open world Deus Ex, because that definitely feels like the kind of thing that could happen because of this buyout.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM

I really wouldn't be surprised if they just reboot it, go back to the original game, (maybe tease Soul Reaver at the end) and the game plays something like Diablo. Seems like if you were doing a new Legacy of Kain game you'd just remake it, and either go back to the very beginning, or go back to Soul Reaver...which is probably the best known of the games. Doing some isometric style hack and slash also seems like an easy way of keeping the budget down, which I'm sure anyone would want to do if they're making a new Legacy of Kain game, and hack and slash games similar to Diablo seems to be a market again.
Exactly. There was a fan attempt to remake BO1 some years ago that fizzled out. It would be great to have a faithful remake. The 90s graphics have not aged well IMO

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
So THQ owns Deus Ex. Damn it why couldn't this have been in 2007 then I might've had a shot at a commercial Deus Ex game. That said I mean you sold Deus Ex for Monkeys what the hell Square you morons.
It'll be interesting to see what they do with this.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I wonder who own Anachronox now. Somehow I doubt Square would keep it for themselves for future use.

toughasnails

Exactly. There was a fan attempt to remake BO1 some years ago that fizzled out. It would be great to have a faithful remake. The 90s graphics have not aged well IMO
Indie top-down zelda-likes are also relatively popular and there is a fair number of them right now so they wouldn't have to stray too far from how the original game played either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom