Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Empire of Sin - Brenda and John Romero's turn-based Mafia strategy

geno

Savant
342baa0afd829b55a7216e52c2e60586.jpg
Is this from Evil Dead?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who honestly gives a fuck about the Romeros, they haven't done anything of note in 30 years lol.
Less than 20, unless you want to fight me over Wizardry 8. Still a long time. Anyway, nobody with any sense expects any game dev to crank out hits year after year. Sometimes they can come back after a dead (or worse, mediocre) period with something strong.

Reflecting, I agree with you ... the Romero personality cult doesn't carry a lot of weight. (Did it ever? Seriously now.) But the fact that they are marketing this off their personal "fame" opens them to criticism on that basis. If this exact same project were being made by a team of anonymous nobodies, it would look pretty damn good. I'm interested in learning more on that basis.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Gameplay:
When they introduced John I was half expecting them to lead with "here's Brenda's husband", but the awkward half-laughs and yellow smiles kinda made up for it. "I'm uh, the audio guy, I'm working on the audio..."

What an absolutely pathetic end of career.
You probably missed the part when he said that he works on the game in a lot of different ways. And from that the biggest part is the audio. And in the next interview he tells that the is doing design. So no, there is nothing pathetic here.[/QUOTE]

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well there are certainly a lot of moving parts to manage, so it's complex at least. Just looking at the different main characters you can pick shows mechanics involving:

* Police raids, you can influence how camouflaged you are
* Trading w other factions, you can influence prices
* Income from various types of businesses, that can fluctuate per type
* Control unions
* Faction relations (ally, neutral, enemy, ?) that change through gameplay
* STD gameplay :| infection chance can be influenced
* Businesses can offer different quality levels of product/service
* Base upgrade prices can be influenced
* Businesses must be staffed, skeleton crew or fully staffed?
* "Favors" exist and may be bought

Watching the devs play was excruciating and I skipped a lot of it, but there is a lot going on here. The demo ended up being mostly a lot of XCOM combat, which isn't a bad thing particularly if the actual game is balanced like they said instead of the lame cakewalk we saw here.

Still interested to check this out.

geno

Savant
I don't know if it's a good idea to copy nuCOM combat when all enemies are basically the same. Each enemy in nuCOM has their own quirks and behaviour, but in this setting the difference is having a shotgun or a machinegun. Hope it doesn't get old too soon. The "Geoscape" at least looks much more interesting than nuCOM.

Zombra

Patron
I don't know if it's a good idea to copy nuCOM combat when all enemies are basically the same. Each enemy in nuCOM has their own quirks and behaviour, but in this setting the difference is having a shotgun or a machinegun. Hope it doesn't get old too soon.
For what it's worth, I played all the way through Omerta and its DLC The Japanese Incentive which had similar limitations. The combat stayed interesting (or at least interesting enough) throughout both campaigns.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
She started as a tester, and became a designer. (I think testers at that time also did phone support duty.)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What game did she get promoted to designer?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom