Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Duraframe300

Arcane
New PCSX2 website is ready

https://pcsx2.net/

For a myriad of reasons, we’ve migrated to a new website. It should be much easier to maintain and edit – so hopefully this translates into more interesting articles, quicker progress-reports and eventually a more streamlined experience for finding game compatibility issues.

Old blog posts and articles will slowly be moved over to this site with the old URL formats being preserved. This means that in the long-term, there should be no dead links.

No migration is complete without some small hiccups though, and there will likely be some rough edges that need to be smoothed out, so bear with us!

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
New PCSX2 website is ready

https://pcsx2.net/

For a myriad of reasons, we’ve migrated to a new website. It should be much easier to maintain and edit – so hopefully this translates into more interesting articles, quicker progress-reports and eventually a more streamlined experience for finding game compatibility issues.

Old blog posts and articles will slowly be moved over to this site with the old URL formats being preserved. This means that in the long-term, there should be no dead links.

No migration is complete without some small hiccups though, and there will likely be some rough edges that need to be smoothed out, so bear with us!
The animated banner maxes out my gpu.
Stenzek,that is one hell of a emulation joke you bastard.

There's really been some great progress with Xenia since the last time I tried it:

https://xenia.jp/updates/2022/01/29...n-update-amd-fidelityfx-fsr-fxaa-cas-vrr.html

In addition to the upscaling stuff, which is all great, they've implemented variable rate refresh internally:

"VRR-compatible monitor will try to display the image as quickly as possible to reduce the latency and to stabilize the visible frame pacing even if its frame rate is below the refresh rate of the monitor."

This must shave an extra frame off of the already very snappy ports of Mushi Futari, etc. It's awesome.

I decided to test Lost Odyssey, a JRPG I remember liking a lot when it came out (it was the last game I completed on my 360 before it 3LOD'd for the last time).

lost_odysseyepjvz.jpg

Still looks really good, especially for a game that came out in 2008 on a console. I'll probably keep playing.

edit: polygons will glitch out (especially in cutscenes) but you can fix it by adding:

render_target_path_d3d12 = "rov"

in the emulator's config file. This forces an alternate render path that is slower, but more accurate for Lost Odyssey.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Stenzek unarchived Duckstation and has added some commits to it.

Could be that it was just a one time maintenance update. Could be he finally managed to simply say *Fuck you Twin Aphex* in his mind and move on. Let's hope its the latter.

Nifft Batuff

Cipher

Could be that it was just a one time maintenance update. Could be he finally managed to simply say *Fuck you Twin Aphex* in his mind and move on. Let's hope its the latter.
It seems he removed some specific options for the libretro core compilation...
What was the problem with Twin Aphex?

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane

It seems he removed some specific options for the libretro core compilation...
What was the problem with Twin Aphex?

The usual stuff when it comes to TA. Just kind of a weasel in general, flip flopper, manipulative. It's not something you notice on first attempt since he has *nice guy speak* down to a pat (except when the facade breaks and he throws all kind of shit around), but when you follow this stuff for a while (and you know the type in real life) you do notice.

That said it usually ends up in stupid drama by both sides. It's the emulation scene after all.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lost Odyssey always crashes for me in one of the first battles after pirate gurl joins.
That's where I got my first Red Ring of Death on Xbox 360.

I've been away from home on a trip, so I haven't had the chance to play more of Lost Odyssey, but I'll report about the crash point after pirate joins.

Funny you should mention the 3LOD Abu Antar , I think mine also started dying with Lost Odyssey. I can't remember exactly because it was so many years ago, but I definitely played through the game fighting with 3LOD issues, I'd open it up and do the eraser trick etc., it kept stumbling along just enough for me to complete it.

Duraframe300

Arcane

So yeah, Stenzek is back on Duckstation (While still contributing to PCSX2 and so on). He also removed the leftover Libretro stuff and Libretro/Retroarch removed the Duckstation core (But kept their own fork *Swanstation*). So I guess the matter is settled.

Also means (among else) his attempt at Texture Replacement for PS1 is moving forward. Good thing too since BeetlePSX's is still crashy and barely usable.

Puukko

Arcane
And I just had started moving from Beetle to Duckstation on RA. Have you tried Swanstation, how does it differ?

I've been playing some of the Japan Studios games I missed back in the day.

In Tokyo Jungle (2012) you try to survive as various animals (some have to rely on stealth, some are carnivores, etc.) in a post-apocalyptic scenario, hunting to survive, mating, and so on. Game works perfectly with RPCS3.
npua80523_screenshot_wpje5.png

Behold my frightful Pomeranian. He'll tear your dick off.

Original game concepts like this just don't happen anymore, especially not backed by a large company like Sony. It's a great loss.

deuxhero

Arcane
Any settings to tweak for Citra to make DQM2 remake loading cutscenes and after cutscene faster?

I played the original ICO back on release more than 20 years ago. It was my favourite game on the PS2. I loved the melancholy atmosphere, the great music, the superb art direction, the scale of it. It ran like shit at a very low resolution, but I didn't care at all.

All these years later, I remembered that there was a remaster for the PS3 that I never played. RPCS3 seems to run it pretty perfectly [edit: I was getting random freezes, but setting "Driver Wake-Up Delay" to 400 in the Advanced configuration tab seemed to solve it], so I'll gladly relive some of that magic. The remaster runs at a decent 30fps, seems to be color-corrected in a way (even though I loved the look of the original, it did seem a bit drab at times, almost monochromatic) and the widescreen aspect ratio is welcome in such a visually-oriented game. Will probably play it to completion. Does anyone know if the remaster is based off of the US or the European version of the game?

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Does anyone know if the remaster is based off of the US or the European version of the game?
samuraigaiden recently posted an explanation of the differences between the PS2 versions of Ico, and it seems that the PS3 remastered version, that was accompanied on the same disc by a remaster of Shadow of the Colossus, is based on the Japanese version (which is also the same as the European version, aside from language), while the American version is inferior (and apparently was published first, six weeks before the Japanese version).

Ico-Reaching-Hands-Orioto.jpg

Been playing the 2011 PS3 SotC 'remaster'. Although I was mostly interested in the Ico remaster in the same disc, SotC was the most technically impressive PS2 game of all time for me - the cloth system, the incredible animations, the scale of the colossi, down to the details of the fur system. I loved it and especially the artstyle. However, it ran very poorly (often dropping to single digits) due to to how advanced everything was - the animations, the clothing system, the fur system, the scale of the world and of the colossi, all of it. It really did border on unplayable, especially on later colossi (the last one in particular ran mostly in single digit FPS).

Earlier this year I played the 2018 PS4 remake on the PS5. Although it felt great (especially at 60fps), I thought something felt off regarding the new assets - although technically excellent, they don't accurately translate the look and feel of the original, something I felt was also the case with the Demon's Souls remake (by the same company, Bluepoint). Everything looks too clean and inviting, while the original clearly depicted a hostile and unwelcoming, barren world.

The PS3 remaster is a good compromise, I feel. It uses pretty much the same assets as the PS2 version, with very little tampering (bloom seems to be a little dialed back but I felt it was sometimes excessive in the original), and runs at a very stable 30fps at 720p/half-horizontal resolution 1080p. Although obviously falling short of the PS4 remake's 60fps, it's still quite acceptable and a vast improvement over the original version - with the considerable benefit of preserving the overall look and atmosphere.

RPCS3 runs it perfectly.

Pretty cool. I think RPCS3 made some incredible progress over the past couple of years.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
The PS3 version can be made to run at higher fps by increasing the vblank - I got it to run at 70 fps this way, though it also seems to affect some physics (the reins on the horse were freaking out) so I can't say it won't cause other issues.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, since I'm almost done with Fire Emblem Echoes - SoV (one of the best Emblems IMO), I'm once again bothering you with my avatar support. ;)

I've made two (or three) "mugs" for all playable characters and some enemies.

1) The "bigger" mug.

Dumped the "big" portrait (512x512) used as backgorund in menus. Examples:

hSoVmY8.png
SkqUy8r.png
FZnd7UL.png
c9eVfWX.png
OUQlBiJ.png
Cropped it to 384x384 (3/4 of the original):

n0xNnGc.png
tec9Oho.png
sAROkdI.png
8JdhfH3.png
Ra2YxeD.png

Resized to 128x128. And Voila:

1BdJ9u7.png
LITG0ON.png
iLfmMGT.png
bOt27Sy.png
Axnmjpg.png

2) The "smaller" bust.

Dumped the "silhouette" texture (256x256), used in dialogues and item submenu. Examples:

Juef606.png
SeWaBpU.png
qfpke7l.png
ELk5ETj.png
jDdFDPZ.png

Cropped it to 128x128. And Voila:

iOMZtbX.png
DiWSdOp.png
GTvFTja.png
rJnzRhh.png
88ITKoz.png

If certain fag / dyke has some "bonus" texture (used during scenes "in the past" or after promotion), I've dumped these too. Examples:

RJf2PWv.png
xwjZMys.png

ay9d4pS.png
vutBUNT.png

Link to the entire package (original tetures + avatars):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5q2zpbxpxggalum/

If somebody wants to go big, HQ art (with transparent background) is available online:

GKwS2z0.png

SI3AGX4.png

jk9ybCe.png

l3YJ36d.png

0EXA5MS.png

Links:

https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Category:Shadows_of_Valentia_artwork

https://serenesforest.net/gallery/shadows-of-valentia/

One thing is certain, Hidari-kun certainly has a thing for long legs & thongs... :salute:

That is all. :obviously:

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Some PCSX2 news:

- MAC nightly Builds will soon become available. (Includes Renderer for Apple's Metal API)
- DX12 renderer has been merged. Most useful for Intel GPU's at the moment since Vulkan is broken on their drivers. There's future work planned though that will bring DX12 to the same/similar level of accuracy as OpenGL/Vulkan.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom