Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Speaking of playstation recommendations, what are some under the radar ps1 games? I've switched over to Xebra and it works perfectly.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Speaking of playstation recommendations, what are some under the radar ps1 games? I've switched over to Xebra and it works perfectly.

1144843747-00.jpg

Ok, now seriously.
Project Overkill looks nifty also - Loaded, Hogs of War, King's Field and other From Software games. MDK, GPolice, Exhumed, Urban Chaos, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Oni?,

Excalibur 2555 AD - action rpg from, yes, Sir-Tech, a bit ugly & clunky but overall a good gaem
Fighting Force - decent Die Hard Arcade clone ( 3d beat'em), avoid the sequel
Exhumed - enhanced port of PC's fpp shooter Powerslave
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos - best Mario 64 clone of its time, no larger areas though
Nightmare Creatures - dark gothic beat'em up in XIXth-century London setting
Chocobo Racing - good Mario Cart rip-off
S.C.A.R.S. - crazy as shit racing game
Micro Machines 3 - as above
Street Fighter EX titles / Street Fighter: The Movie - despite common opinion they're good ones, just fucking ugly
War Gods - Mortal Kombat 4 engine testing ground, definately better than dis pos MK4 was, u got viking chick, voodoo dude being Scorpion rip-off, Anubis, Aztec priest, Kabuki warrior, gore, blood, fatalities.

Emulate Saturn instead.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Digital Devil Saga sucks, I bought that pos over SMT3: Nocturne.

DDS1 is pretty mediocre, but DDS2 on Hard was actually decent enough. Unfortunately, to play DDS2 on Hard (from the start) one needs a clear save from DDS1. That keeps me from recommending it without strong reservations.

I thought both were absolutely terrible.

I liked the strange universe. But the gameplay just did not quite cut it as far as I was concerned. I had the feeling that the game was filled with a fake non-linearity as far as to how you could develop your characters. I remember facing bosses that pretty much required a certain skill to be passed, and most of the time, said skill I was perfectly able to do without entirely before said boss. So it required a lot of grinding to get said skill, and I'd never use it again. And then came the next boss, which required the exact same process.

I hated it. I think I finally gave up in the last dungeon of 2.

DDS2 had some decent fights, but the DDS system is just banal shit boring compared to Nocturne. Only 3 characters instead of 4, no fusion, everyone is basically a blank slate that can learn everything.

I wouldn't say it required any grinding, but that relies somewhat on meta-knowledge of how SMT combat works (buffs are awesome, weaknesses suck, having lots of different immunities to eat boss turns wins the game). Unlike Nocturne there's no real roadblock bosses that force you to understand the gameplay system to proceed.

Good news, I launched up pcsx2 and it works flawlessly, recommend me some good and possibly obscure PS2 games.
If you like Demon's/Dark Souls, I definitely recommend checking out King's Field 4: The Ancient City. It starts out slowly but it's a really good game, and you can see early versions of a lot of that would eventually become the Souls series.

Also, Shadow Tower: Abyss is awesome, and has a similar vibe. There's an english translation floating around.

spekkio

Arcane
Are Saturn and Dreamcast perfectly emulated?
Pretty much.
ORLY? :roll:

Saturn has only one decent emulator, SSF. The author is interested more in an accurate emulation than making it user-friendly (by implementing scalers, filters, etc.).
As with most of Sega emus, you will need a bios pack to use it.
bios pack
compatibility list

As for Dreamcast, there are 3 main emus:
- nullDC (currently open source),
- Makron (closed source), rarely updated, but still my favorite
- Demul (currently open source, requires Directx 10/11, important if you're still on WinXP, as myself).

You can grab all of them here, bios files can be found here

deuxhero

Arcane
Only thing an emulator needs to be user friendly is non-clusterfuck UI, POSSIBLY basic window size multiplying.

spekkio

Arcane
spekkio bitching about scalers and filters, how the times have changed... :smug:
All I need is bilinear filtering (as an option), but I remember some people bitching about SSF not having graphical enhancements.

non-clusterfuck UI, POSSIBLY basic window size multiplying.
- Makaron lacks GUI, which is fine by me, but other peoplez were bitchin'
- Makaron supports only gamepads as controllers, so PC elite can GTFO or use keyboard input -> joy input wrappers stuffies,
- NullDC originally lacked gamepad support, so you had to use joy input -> keyboard input thingies,
etc. etc.

Coders not gonna code.

*Edit
Speaking about shitty GUIs - some people still think that submenus are all the rage:

WsQ1MwG.jpg

:roll:

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PPSSPP is preparing to do crazy stuff, replacing functions in games - not only in sony libraries - by c code functions shipped in the emulator. Very interesting idea for speed and bug fixes (bugs which don't occur in the device, like resolution bugs).

deuxhero

Arcane
- Makaron lacks GUI, which is fine by me, but other peoplez were bitchin'
- Makaron supports only gamepads as controllers, so PC elite can GTFO or use keyboard input -> joy input wrappers stuffies,
- NullDC originally lacked gamepad support, so you had to use joy input -> keyboard input thingies,
etc. etc.

Coders not gonna code.

Actually supporting controllers falls under accuracy for me because it means real controllers work with it (though generally needing an adapter), just like a real console.

A user named cat

For fellow RetroArch homies: I came across a user who regularly compiles RetroArch with new cores and features. So there could be be bugs here and there but worth checking out for the latest additions and updates to the emulator cores. Android and Win 64 builds only.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/91sakv0qdyxjx9f/cGOfV7ZOKd

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Heads up you bastards, PPSSPP just integrated a hack for the Jeanne D'Arc missing characters (and another for the 'garbled text' that sometimes occurs, because of texture caching, namely a setting to disable texture catching on the problematics games, like Metal Gear Acid).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's a far too easy game spekkio don't get too excited

unless you enter the special area prematurely and overwrite your only save then you're boned

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Unrelated to ejaculation discussion above, but how is good old PCSX2 doing these days? I remember plenty of fiddling about was required back when I tried it during the 9.0.something and this shiny 1.1 version kinda has me interested again. Is it worth it for anything more than mainstay games like Persona and Final Fantasy which were the main reason people bothered making the emulator for in the first place?

Stompa

Arcane
Sure, PCSX2 is good enough to run a good part of PS2's library, provided your PC can handle it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom