Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, since I'm done with DS-O for the moment, I've decided to dump all textures that I can put my hands on ATM.

The "best" ones are the "static" 256x256 ones, accessible either via "Team Edit" menu or "Fusion - Search" or during combat. So, I wasn't able to dump all neccessary textures, since to do so, I would have to re-play the game to "meet" some early characters / bosses in combat, or in case of Naoya, dump the texture either in combat or when he joins the team.

Deal with it.

BTW, the "animated" textures used in dialogues are inferior, since they're "cropped" (128x256):

06.png
07.png

Still, these are the only ones usable for characters you don't meet in comat, like mr Gigolo or ms Journalist:

10.png

I've dumped textures of all demons available to me, from Lv2 Kabuso, to Lv62 Mithras:

02.png

01.png

How about some examples?

a) Main fags:

01.png
04.png
02.png

03.png
05.png
mari.png

amane.png
amane2.png
izuna.png

gin.png
haru.png

honda.png
kaido.png

b) Demon Rangers' Mugs (128x128), handmade stuff:

amane2-mug.png
amane-mug.png
atsuro-mug.png
gin-mug.png
haru-mug.png
honda-mug.png
izuna-mug.png

kaido-mug.png
keisuke-mug.png
mari-mug.png
midori-mug.png
protag-mug.png
yuzu-mug.png

c) The Opposite Team:

tex1-256x256-0-A3-AEE17-D2390-D5-B-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-79-C76-B268-AE63623-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-9-E2-CCAE7-A7402513-0-1.png

tex1-256x256-AC19-F146986-E87-DC-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-BF81884-C587-FF91-B-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-C0-E2-D4399999-B299-0-1.png

Grab the shit here

The original, non-flipped textures can be enhanced via AI enhancers, same way Kasaski followed when making his SMT4 HD Texture Pack.

IMO it's not worth the effort, 'cuz:

1) Enhanced textures look meh.

- Kasaski's 1024x1024 (4x enhance) demons from SMT4:

tex1-256x256-030-A596094-C13202-13.png

tex1-256x256-05274-D2805-F65-C34-13.png

- My 1024x1024 demons from DS-O, made using the same program (waifu2x-caffe) - just quick attempt at default settings:

tex1-256x256-2-D10438-ED8229-EE6-0-1.png

tex1-256x256-92-A2-EBDBC3062-A25-0-1.png

2) To utilize these ingame, you would have to crank internal res at least to x2 or x4, which fucks up "non-enhanced" textures and UI in general:

citra-qt-2021-01-30-12-11-46-41-1.jpg

citra-qt-2021-01-30-12-11-50-97-1.jpg

As you can see, Kresnik and Laksmi look decent, but if you scroll the cursor to some other demon, its texture gets borked:

citra-qt-2021-01-30-12-12-07-63-1.jpg

Plus almost everything looks pixalated, so you would have to enhance all the "small" and "text" textures too.

Anyway, if somebody has too much time on his hands, go ahead and AI enhance all this shit. :roll:

Drama king out.

tex1-256x256-F4-BA885-B14-E706-C5-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-DFB7-AD21-FAAAB84-A-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-28-DE799-BBCD77039-0-1.png

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I already tried to upscale DS. The problem with the fonts is that they are not stored neatly in a single texture that you can upscale once for all. The fonts are "generated". Every bit of text, including all the dialogue lines, is rendered on different textures. You need to upscale all of them. And this is crazy, even if you write a script to automate the upscaling procedure, you still need to go by hand through every dialogue option, messages, etc., of the game.

spekkio

Arcane
Yeah, I've noticed that too when dumping. I've been getting textures with characters' dialogues and descriptions all the time and was like "WTF, this shit is being generated by the game, or what?".

Oh well, maybe we'll get a HD re-re-release one day...

Yeah, right. Of Persona 22 or some shit. :roll:

lightbane

Arcane
Damn, why is Switch so popular? Exclusive-wise is something almost nothing more than WiiU portable (which was considered a bad console or ??? reason).
Because Soyny is fucking up by pissing off indie devs that try to make games for the PS4 with the SJW-friendly arbitrary restrictions, the PS5 is a mess, and the new XBOX is even worse, making Nintendo winner by default.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Switch is selling well because you can play skyrim on your couch and go tho the toilet and continue playing.
The wii-u was just a wii hd with a shitty tablet.

Sony doesn't give a fuck because they are in different worlds.Sony gets the aaa shit and Nintendo gets Nintendo aaa.
Indies are irrelevant to both,and especially to any average consumers.
In fact i feel sorry for anybody using their online web shops. Sony is expensive as shit and the switch ui is designed by blind man with three arms.

As for ports.Most wiiu to switch ports offer some extras so they are not just vanilla ports.

The Switch is an amazing little piece of hardware, it's well-built in most respects, resistant to children, the handheld/docked transition is seamless 99% of the time and nothing beats playing games while taking a shit. Sure there aren't that many exclusives for it, but Nintendo games are still amazing and there are ports of everything.

Contrary to enthusiasts' opinion, most people don't really give a flying fuck about the latest graphical advancements. I loved owning one, but have since gifted it to my niece (it was one of the early models too and is jailbroken with about 120 games on it, she absolutely loves the thing). If you manage to get an exploitable unit, it also makes for a great emulation box.

You can just buy one for 300 bucks or however much it is now and play. No frills. That goes a long way these days.

mogwaimon

Magister
Nintendo is the only company making consoles at the moment that understands that if consoles are little more than underpowered PCs in today's market, many people will just buy a PC instead. That's not to say there isn't still a market for consoles or that there aren't good games out there on console only, but if consoles keep being just shitty PCs then eventually everyone will move on. That's why they try to have gimmicks with each of their consoles even if it's sorta shitty like the 3D on the 3DS or the Wii U gamepad; they know they need to provide functionality that a PC can't, and with the Switch they pretty much pulled it off. I mean, yea, you could argue that a laptop does the same thing that the Switch does but then again show me a laptop with enough power to run a modern game that also fits in your pocket.

Personally, I love my Switch. PS4 is aight, there's still some games I prefer to play on it over PC or can't play on PC at all, and my Xbox One...well that pretty much collects dust until my friends want to play something. As for the newer consoles I have no interest in the PS5 until some interesting games come out for it and I can't even remember what the new Xbox is called because Microsoft is fucking terrible at naming consoles (seriously, did they learn nothing from seeing what happened to the Wii U?). Then again my priority when considering a gaming platform is the library over anything else, don't give a fuck about the teraflops or blast processing or whatever.

Nintendo is the only company making consoles at the moment that understands that if consoles are little more than underpowered PCs in today's market, many people will just buy a PC instead.

You could make this point a couple of years ago, but given how ridiculous the PC hardware market is right now, it just doesn't fly anymore. You can't "just buy a PC" because there are extreme shortages and price hikes everywhere. You basically have to luck out to buy a recent video card at anything resembling a reasonable price.

mogwaimon

Magister
well right now there's general electronics shortages so that's to be expected. You can't 'just buy a PS5' either. Rona gonna rona after all

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nintendo just gave up on curation and trying to keep some level of quality. The Nintendo Shop looks like a deposit of Steam and Play Store shovelware, Unity asset flips and games that arrive with poor performance or simply broken.

Perkel

Arcane
Well those are favorite games to play according to kids. Only 30-40 year old losers play mario and Nintendo wants to be company for kids.

Don Peste

Arcane
Everquest Online Adventures test server
http://eqoa.kiekko.tv/

Status
What basically works:

• creating account
  • logging in
  • creating characters
  • moving around
  • rudimentary combat, 1 melee attack, 1 NPC heal
  • friendly pet and healer NPC
  • a few test NPC's placed near Darvar Manor
  • now also using a database of over 15,000 NPC's from Dustin Faxon
  • simple combat AI
  • chatting, who list, emoting
What doesn't

• the rest
Notes

• talking has infinite range, anything you say is heard by everyone
  • NPC heals have infinite range too
  • the NPC orcs don't aggro players unless you attack
  • snowman NPC's don't move at the moment
  • classes are identical and nobody has abilities; The protocol of sending abilities to the client seems to differ between vanilla, Frontiers, and even between patches. Any wrong byte will usually crash the client so it's better not to send anything at this point.
  • ogre sometimes shows up in character creation, sometimes not, reason unknown

Nintendo just gave up on curation and trying to keep some level of quality. The Nintendo Shop looks like a deposit of Steam and Play Store shovelware, Unity asset flips and games that arrive with poor performance or simply broken.

They try to fight it and set minimal price for E-Shop titles:

Switch eShop Game Prices Can No Longer Be Below $1.99, Says Death Squared Dev

Nintendo is supposedly putting a stop to small-time developers gaming the Switch eShop charts with dirt-cheap deals by placing a limit on pricing.

This information comes from SMG Studios via Reddit. In a brief reply message, it's highlighted how a 99 cents sale on the game Death Squared would be its "lowest price" ever on Nintendo Switch, as "new rules" in place on the Switch eShop now apparently prevent developers from pricing games below $1.99 USD. Obviously, this excludes free-to-play titles.

"This is the lowest price it will ever be. New rules on the eShope mean no game can be below $1.99 and this is 99c because I planned this sale back in Aug! haha so I beat the system!"

Although Death Squared is no longer on sale, a quick look at the Switch eShop reveals there are still a number of games available for less than $1.99 (99 cents, to be precise) - they include titles like Plague Road, HoPiKo, Knight Swap 2 and Ant-Gravity: Tiny's Adventure.

Perhaps the developers of these titles locked in sales well before these new rules came into play, like SMG.

According to a story over on Polygon, Nintendo recently stopped games that cost a single cent from making the "best sellers" list on the Switch eShop. There's also apparently a rule in place now preventing developers from providing 100% discounts if a user alreadys owns a game from their catalog. This information was shared by Simon Carless’ GameDiscoverCo newsletter.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...onger_be_below_usd1_99_says_death_squared_dev

Duraframe300

Arcane
How do you use external shaders in PCSX2 1.7.0?

Put them in the shaders folder in the pcsx2 folder, then select them in gsdx. There's a pcsx2 forum thread that collects shaders made for pcsx2.

Alternativley use reshade. You have to use OpenGl, but you should anyway.

Self-Ejected

Herzog

Self-Ejected
What PSX emulator do you guys use? I use DuckStation and it seems to be working well. I used ePSXe for the longest of the time until I got tired of having to restart the emulator everytime game pad accidentally unplugged. That and not being able to change options real-time.
What PS2 emulator do you use? It has been some time since I have touched PCSX2: is it still considered ass?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
What PSX emulator do you guys use? I use DuckStation and it seems to be working well. I used ePSXe for the longest of the time until I got tired of having to restart the emulator everytime game pad accidentally unplugged. That and not being able to change options real-time.
What PS2 emulator do you use? It has been some time since I have touched PCSX2: is it still considered ass?

Used to use retro arch's Beetle PSX HW core but now I use Duckstation because it offers the same features, so no need to put up with retro arch anymore.

Duckstation is the best you're gonna get in regards to PS1 emulation, there's nothing that tops it currently, unless you want access to CRT shaders and filters in which case you will be forced to use retro arch.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Used to use retro arch's Beetle PSX HW core but now I use Duckstation because it offers the same features, so no need to put up with retro arch anymore.

Duckstation is the best you're gonna get in regards to PS1 emulation, there's nothing that tops it currently, unless you want access to CRT shaders and filters in which case you will be forced to use retro arch.

Duckstation is also the only psx emulator that can reasonably be described as in *active* development. There's even some improvements to PGXP the usual implementations don't have.

Self-Ejected

Herzog

Self-Ejected
Do you ever get locked in a black screen when you do ALT+F4 when running in fullscreen? That's the only issue that I have noticed with Duckstation. There is absolutely nothing that I've found that fixes it besides having to force a restart. There are also some minor issues with some of the save states becoming softlocked, but I take it as a heavenly sign that I shouldn't be savescumming in the first place.

flyingjohn

Arcane
A video about pcsx2:

What to expect for 1.8:

• No Plugins
  • 64-bit support (mostly done)
  • Reduced Input lag
  • A new shiny IPC protocol
  • ...and much more (read our progress reports)
What might be ready for 2.0:

• A New QT based GUI along with support for pluggable & community GUIs
  • Rework of our Infrastructure/Website
  • Work on a pluggable JIT backend
  • A full cleanup of the codebase
  • And hopefully other nice surprises ;)

Duraframe300

Arcane
A video about pcsx2:

What to expect for 1.8:

• No Plugins
  • 64-bit support (mostly done)
  • Reduced Input lag
  • A new shiny IPC protocol
  • ...and much more (read our progress reports)
What might be ready for 2.0:

• A New QT based GUI along with support for pluggable & community GUIs
  • Rework of our Infrastructure/Website
  • Work on a pluggable JIT backend
  • A full cleanup of the codebase
  • And hopefully other nice surprises ;)

Adding to that Texture replacement is currently on the horizon. It's actually so far along that its not a matter of if (as its author is clearly dedicated to it), but when:

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/4199

Other interesting pull requests

Gaussian interpolation for the audio backend

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/4195

CHD Support

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/4045

GSDX improvements solving some long standing issues

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/3895
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/4094
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/3114

Auto-Updater

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/3121

Improved latency is a really big deal for PCSX2. Despite most people apparently being oblivious to it, it's incredibly obvious and makes it impossible to play shmups seriously, which is bad because the PS2 has some really good ports and even original games like Gradius V.

G-Sync stuff

I finally got a new videocard that can do G-Sync through HDMI and it's been a real game changer for me in many ways. With emulation especially, since there are many games that I really enjoy that run at non-standard refresh rates (for example, the Raiden series runs at 54hz, DoDonPachi runs at 57hz, Mortal Kombat and a lot of Midway games run at 53-54hz, etc.), and they were either choppy or sped-up on my previous 60hz display.

Now they all run flawlessly at their native refresh rates with Retroarch. It's amazing. Of course, the other benefits of VRR are obvious for high refresh rate games, too.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom