Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

BROS, the new Yuzu Early Access build with the new cache improvements is the real deal. This is the *FIRST TIME* I can legitimately say, "yeah I can play a game on Yuzu". Just spent like two hours blasting through Mario Odyssey with zero problems.

Also tried out Xenoblade Chronicles 1 Definitive edition remake and it's also the very first time I think that game is even playable on Yuzu, however unlike Mario Odyssey it did not run that well. Make sure to change the Accuracy setting to 'High' for Xenoblade (default is 'Normal' and it's what's best for most games), and make sure everything is on OpenGL and all the options are enabled, and lastly and most importantly: you need to set your Windows page File to be at least 15 gigabytes or more or else most 3d games will crash quickly (Yuzu has problems with memory management). Personally I have a 32gb page file.

You will still see some stutters as you play the games, unfortunately. On OpenGL it has dynamic shader creation on-the-fly and it does work but it's not seamless, there are still mini-stutters as the game creates the shader pipeline as you play, but it is bearable. It's nothing like how bad it was on CEMU before they implented their dynamic system. Alternatively you can try to seek out pre-made shader caches but you'll have to wait a little bit before they show up again as the last few builds broke previous caches.

EDIT: Oh, also tried Link's Awakening and that one runs decently too but with missing graphics on OpenGL; for Link's Awakening it's recommended to use VULKAN but the downside (aside from Yuzu's vulkan implementation being worse-performing than its OpenGL) is that Vulkan doesn't support dynamic shader creation so the pipeline creation is the bad one, like in the old CEMU days. If you can bear that, or find a pre-made shader cache someone made (will probably start showing up soon on emulation/piracy reddits) then it's basically 100% playable.

Gonna torrent 3 Houses next and give that a try next.

EDIT 2: Also tried Astral Chain and it works pretty well. Actually, probably the 2nd best performer after Mario Odyssey! However it did crash occasionally, every 20-30 minutes of gameplay, and every cutscene it was 50/50 whether it'd crash or not. Probably has to do with some memory leakage as not even the 32gb pagefile alleviated the crashes like it does with other Yuzu games. Besides the crashing, though, the actual game itself runs just fine and is perfectly playable.
It had been about 6 months since I tried Yuzu and it used to be unplayable. Gave it a try tonight and I was very surprised. Playing through M2's Esp Ra. De port now. Awesome!

Edit: there appears to be a massive memory leak. Getting to the title menu of Link's Awakening used up all my 16gb RAM and started caching the page file. Seems like a Vulkan issue with this game in particular. Played some Cadence of Hyrule and it was fine. Cute little game.
01000b900d8b0000_2021b0j2l.png

Last edited:
As for ports.Most wiiu to switch ports offer some extras so they are not just vanilla ports.

It's not nigh and day difference. From the emulation perspective, Switch is propably worst Nintendo console. Third party games are available on PC anyway, WiiU games are better to be run on Cemu and there's very little left. I'm waiting for SMT5 (plus Project Re Fantasy if it gets Switch port) and that's all.

As for ports.Most wiiu to switch ports offer some extras so they are not just vanilla ports.

It's not nigh and day difference. From the emulation perspective, Switch is propably worst Nintendo console. Third party games are available on PC anyway, WiiU games are better to be run on Cemu and there's very little left. I'm waiting for SMT5 (plus Project Re Fantasy if it gets Switch port) and that's all.
Although this is true, you're ignoring the main appeal of the Switch for many people - the fact that it's also a portable console. This can't be overstated.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Still, from an emulation perspective the Switch make little sense. Maybe one advantage of emulating a Switch game that has also a PC port is that it could be easier to manage and to backup (no need of installation, just one single compressed file for the game that you can put where you want, unique configuration and save system, no virus, etc...). This obviously assuming that the emulator works flawlessly.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS FUCKING GOLDENEYE PORT TO XBOX 360LEAKED

ITS NOT FINISHED BUT GOOD ENOUGH

DOWNLOADED XENIA TO PLAY IT

JUST LIKE THE PERFECT DARK PORT I SPEND FOREVER DICKING WITH CONTROLLER SENSITIVITY

PROBABLY NOT FUN EXCEPT FOR THE NOSTALGIC OLDFAGS

Sentinel

Arcane
BROS FUCKING GOLDENEYE PORT TO XBOX 360LEAKED

ITS NOT FINISHED BUT GOOD ENOUGH

DOWNLOADED XENIA TO PLAY IT

JUST LIKE THE PERFECT DARK PORT I SPEND FOREVER DICKING WITH CONTROLLER SENSITIVITY

PROBABLY NOT FUN EXCEPT FOR THE NOSTALGIC OLDFAGS
where did you get the game build from?

The only thing I want to play on Xemu is Panzer Dragoon Orta - I still have my original disc. That game is awesome. Last time I tried, about 6 months go, the emulator was still shit. Will give it another try soon.

On another note, I've been playing a lot of Yuzu - it's really good. Many games work flawlessly. I started the latest Paper Mario, Origami King, and it's pretty neat so far.

Sentinel

Arcane
What PSX emulator do you guys use? I use DuckStation and it seems to be working well. I used ePSXe for the longest of the time until I got tired of having to restart the emulator everytime game pad accidentally unplugged. That and not being able to change options real-time.
What PS2 emulator do you use? It has been some time since I have touched PCSX2: is it still considered ass?

Used to use retro arch's Beetle PSX HW core but now I use Duckstation because it offers the same features, so no need to put up with retro arch anymore.

Duckstation is the best you're gonna get in regards to PS1 emulation, there's nothing that tops it currently, unless you want access to CRT shaders and filters in which case you will be forced to use retro arch.
what scaling method do you use? (xbr, nearest neighbour, bilinear?)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
for me I'm interested in playing the Conker's Bad Fur Day remake on Xemu.

can't really think of anything else offhand.

I actually played the Conker's remake on the original Xbox (also owned the N64 game) and it was pretty cool, I remember the fur shader they used being neat at the time. At least it was playable at semi-stable 30fps instead of the low 10s like in the N64 version.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can install Linux Subsystem for Windows, or msysgit, or cygwin (just pick one), and then run that exact command.
Dunno if there's a good windows equivalent tool.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
what scaling method do you use? (xbr, nearest neighbour, bilinear?)

I usually pick bilinear when available
An useful feature that I use in the Bettle core in retroarch, that I haven't found in Duckstation, is the possibility to activate an euristic to identify which texture to apply upscaling and which not. For example you usually want to have upscaling (e.g. xbr) in textures used in 3d models, while skipping upscaling in 2d sprites (in particular text and backgrounds). This is part. useful in combination with downsampling.

I got a Ninja Gaiden Black .iso redump for Xemu, but noticed the wiki says redumps need some workaround.

How would I go about doing this? I'm a dumbfuck.
Use XDVD-Mulleter and choose rebuild ISO.
XDVDMulleterBeta10.2 directory listing (archive.org)

Panzer Orta works ok with Xemu, however it's playing in 4:3, I need to get to the dashboard to change video settings to 16:9 but the emulator doesn't have a boot to dash option. Does anyone know a workaround?

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
The file is gone.
By the way, I noticed that a certain fitgirl uploaded a build of Yuzu along with the new Mario game (Bowser's Fury) included in her(?) usual installation packages. Anyone tried her Breath of the Wild one? I wonder if the emulator included already uses a special key configuration to play from the get-go, or only the basics.

deuxhero

Arcane
Dolphin update
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2021/02/11/dolphin-progress-report-december-2020-and-january-2021/
Unlike every other game that broadcasts to DS, Driver: San Francisco doesn't ask or advertise the feature. It just starts broadcasting at the start of every mission and even if there's an error, it ignores it and keeps trying to broadcast no matter what. It seems that Ubisoft had cooked up a far more effective anti-emulator trap that MetaFortress could never live up to: their coding standards.

:what:

(Speaking of Dolphin, auto-update not working for anyone else?)

It had been a long time since I last tried Cemu - decided to see what's up with it.

I was very surprised at the Vulkan backend, it runs much better than OpenGL for me and is more accurate. Plus no need to download shader caches, it has an async shader implementation and does them on the fly, very fast.

Played some Ken's Rage 2 and although it's a pretty shit Musou game, Fist of the North Star is always great.

Also played some Star Fox Zero, which is great. I'm having a little trouble getting the motion controls to work properly (using a PS5 controller), they're not optional in this game unfortunately. My problem is that the x-axis of the gyro is inverted, so when I tilt the controller right, the camera shifts left and vice-versa. In other games it works perfectly, as well as on Yuzu (they both use DS4Windows as a UDP server for motion data, very cool).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I finally got a new videocard that can do G-Sync through HDMI and it's been a real game changer for me in many ways. With emulation especially, since there are many games that I really enjoy that run at non-standard refresh rates (for example, the Raiden series runs at 54hz, DoDonPachi runs at 57hz, Mortal Kombat and a lot of Midway games run at 53-54hz, etc.), and they were either choppy or sped-up on my previous 60hz display.

Yeah, I expected the gsync/freesync to be useful for emulation but I didn't expect it to be this useful.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
for yuzu you need:

- the early access yuzu build (not sure if the latest improvements are in mainline yet)
- the game keys text files that you place inside their relevant keys folder in appdata after running yuzu for the 1st time
- the games

just google "yuzu early access" and "yuzu prod keys" and you'll find them quickly, top search results are reddit posts with the stuff.

It really took me by surprise how well Yuzu is running now. On Vulkan with async shaders it's almost perfect, but there are still some frame pacing issues that I am unfortunately very sensitive about and that occur on both Vulkan and OpenGL. I don't expect it will get fixed anytime soon because most people don't really give a shit or don't notice it.

I've been having a lot of fun with Origami King and the Super Mario 3D World re-release. The only game I tried running that didn't work was the new Hyrule Warriors.

lightbane

Arcane
Speaking of Yuzu: Fitgirl is apparently uploading a bunch of Switch games with Yuzu included. Has anyone given them a try to see if they're already configured to work with Keyboard + Mouse, or another controller or whatever? Just to know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom