Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Riumedis

Novice
MAME has removed support for Akai Katana and Dodonpachi Saidaioujou after receiving C&D from Exa Arcadia (publisher of Cave games). You might be wondering why MAME doesn't ignore such a BS request from Exa Arcadia, while it's because of ''respect". The MAME devs will just roll-over and take a nonsensical request any party will make.

Duraframe300

Arcane
MAME has removed support for Akai Katana and Dodonpachi Saidaioujou after receiving C&D from Exa Arcadia (publisher of Cave games). You might be wondering why MAME doesn't ignore such a BS request from Exa Arcadia, while it's because of ''respect". The MAME devs will just roll-over and take a nonsensical request any party will make.

Love that they are getting some backlash for it, even on reddit. It's an insane argument anyway, as it completely goes against the principles of preservation. Doubt the entire MAME team was behind this decision.

I imagine that sooner or later that code get activated again anyway and/or other Arcade emus add support for it.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm not even sure what to make of it.
It looks like MAME hardcodes a game database of sorts that verifies some data being correct or not?
Surely you could still run the rom though?

I don't see how the copyright holder has any legal right for what they asked for.
The code basically says: I recognise this rom with checksum 613fd380, this is Akai Katana!
And then applies some hacks (of which there aren't any for these 2 games) to make it run faster.

Or am I missing something?

Trademark is probably the best angle, but even that is a massive stretch and extremely legally dubious.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
It looks like MAME hardcodes a game database of sorts that verifies some data being correct or not?

I don't see how the copyright holder has any legal right for what they asked for.
The code basically says: I recognise this rom with checksum 613fd380, this is Akai Katana!
And then applies some hacks (of which there aren't any for these 2 games) to make it run faster.

Trademark is probably the best angle, but even that is a massive stretch and extremely legally dubious.

Yes, I cannot understand how this request could be legal.

Riumedis

Novice

I don't think that is possible without changing the source code of MAME. MAME likes to check the signature of each rom before it tries to run something, if it fails the check it will not boot the rom. You can test this behaviour by using a old MAME rom and trying to run it in the newest version of MAME.

You are not missing anything, because the MAME devs themselves think the C&D is baseless request. Unfortunately it is MAME policy is to comply with any request from a licence holder.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
So PCSX2 just checked in a new HUD with detailed stats.
You can also change Graphics settings without the emulator pausing now.

I've enabled all of the bits in this screenshot, so you can see it in action.
C9iYerV.png

mck

Cipher

What game?

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron

What game?
Metropolismania.
It's specifically the PAL version, with an md5sum of 9b6fd4641e0c04b79f89d04728c3599a which I ripped myself.
I mention that because according to both reddit and the pcsx2 wiki, it would seem that roms you can commonly find on the net are corrupt in some respect, and will crash after about 15m of game time.

The only special setting you'll need for it is setting Texture Filtering to Nearest; any of the bilinear settings (even the PS2 style one) will make the font bleed, and it looks awful.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Been poking around with C64 Dreams, a beautifully curated collection of two or three thousand of the best C64 games and demos, all meticulously configured with retroarch (using, for once, a proper disk swapping option), launchbox and controllers, including in-game manuals and box covers, all put together by some wonderfully sperggy C64 nut. But I'm being punished for my piracy since using an Xbox emulated DS4 controller with DS4Windows here will cause your PC to become a mass of horrifying instability when you exit a game, forcing you to log off then on again. Serves me right. Plus, you have to configure C64 custom color palettes with each game individually instead of by VICE core so are stuck with the ugly C64 default color palette that looks like two strip technicolor from the dawn of cinema. So, yeah, more eggfarts than rainbows but man does it look and play great.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

C9iYerV.png
Maybe I am wrong, but based on the screenshots it looks like the same hud you have in AetherSX2.

Duraframe300

Arcane

C9iYerV.png
Maybe I am wrong, but based on the screenshots it looks like the same hud you have in AetherSX2.

Not exactly, but yes. Code and ideas are shared between the projects.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
I've realized the obvious errors of my aspect-related ways, described in this post.

Sadly, they turned out to be influenced by the backward republican views and thus totally wrong. After all, seeing the right way shouldn't be that hard (check circular elements):

4HK31J1.png

vgqsUQH.png

Z6Eeesm.png

UTyiO5O.png

Erm, the circle got circler but you've traded that off with the letters becoming uneven. Look at that capital B in Blast. The highest and lowest lines are the same in shot 1 but on shot 2 the lowest line is slightly thicker. And these are supposed to be single white pixels. So essentially everything that was pixel-perfect is now slightly stretched and uglier imo, even if their proportions are more correct.

And this one from the other post is in JPG and all the white letters are blurry. Or were they blurry in Dosbox too? Bro, if you 're gonna show off per-pixel scaling then do it in lossless format.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Trying out Xenia on a friend's win 10.

Operation darkness(ww2 vampire srpg),crashes.
Culdcept saga(best game in the series),crashes.
Blue dragon,works but unknown if if it will work all the way.
Lost odyssey,conflicting reports about crashing mid game.

2/4 games i have any interest don't work and the others require hours to complete and may be unable to be finished.
Removed any interest and nothing of value was lost.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane

Wanted to add to this as the same commit has now near eliminated Input Lag, thanks to the new host window, for a lot of people (a lot of other reasons have been eliminated prior in the past 2 years).

Noticed it, because predictably people have been attributing every PCSX2 improvement to the Vulkan renderer. Doesn't matter if their last experience with PCSX2 was half a decade ago. It just needed that sweet, sweet Vulkan which fixed everything, even things it has no relation to.

There's some hilarious exchanges in there too. Like one user ranting at refraction about how the old PCSX2 team would never have done this because they were *too arrogant*. All the while not realizing that refraction himself has been around since 2005.

:hero:

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
This is great. They just need to add an "Apply" button to the Graphics setting window and then you can finally change the setting with a real time feedback, without the need to go back and forth from the the game window and the graphics setting window (and alas, in PCSX2 you need to do that a lot, for every game).

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
This is great. They just need to add an "Apply" button to the Graphics setting window and then you can finally change the setting with a real time feedback, without the need to go back and forth from the the game window and the graphics setting window (and alas, in PCSX2 you need to do that a lot, for every game).
There's still a conversion to Qt in progress; Parts of the work are already merged (this, and the vulkan backend), but there's more coming.
UI work like that will probably come then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom