Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I usually prefer using individual emulators rather than Retroarch, but this is really cool: with the new DOSBox Pure update you can now run Windows 98 in Retroarch, which allows you to use its AI service to do OCR translations of the entire screen on the fly:

This was already possible with DOS & console games, now can be used on any untranslated Windows 95/98 games as well, from any language into any other.

Sentinel

Arcane
https://blog.ryujinx.org/vulkan/

Vulkan joins the roster!​

MutantAura

9-11 minutes

July 31st 2022 marks the one-year anniversary of the hotly anticipated test release of Vulkan and now, finally, the time has arrived. One year of testing, nearly 40,000 lines of code and over 700 reports spanning 122 people have brought us here and we are so ready to tell you about this journey, what it means for us, and of course what it means for YOU!

mck

Cipher
I usually prefer using individual emulators rather than Retroarch, but this is really cool: with the new DOSBox Pure update you can now run Windows 98 in Retroarch, which allows you to use its AI service to do OCR translations of the entire screen on the fly:

This was already possible with DOS & console games, now can be used on any untranslated Windows 95/98 games as well, from any language into any other.

Anyone else unable to make this shit work? Been messing around with this for hours using the swanstation core and had absolutely no luck. Can anyone help troubleshoot? I literally have no idea what I could be doing wrong.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

Anyone else unable to make this shit work? Been messing around with this for hours using the swanstation core and had absolutely no luck. Can anyone help troubleshoot? I literally have no idea what I could be doing wrong.

If you're using the Google API thing you need to enable two of them: Cloud Vision API + Cloud Translation API. Took me a while to figure this out, all the rest was pretty straightforward.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Does anyone have any experience with Apple IIGS emulators? I've gotten one running, but the game I'm trying to play is one of those diskmag games and its not just insert disk and play like the guides I've found imply. Is there some kind of IIGS OS I'm supposed to be using or am I just missing something simpler?

Sentinel

Arcane
Looks like game preservation is under serious threat going forward:

Denuvo by Irdeto launches the first Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection technology to safeguard games launched on Nintendo Switch.
AMSTERDAM, August 24, 2022 – Denuvo by Irdeto, the global leader in providing security solutions for video games on desktop, console, and mobile platforms, is pleased to unveil a revolutionary technology to protect games launching on Nintendo Switch from piracy. The announcement comes as the video gaming industry is gathered for this year’s Gamescom, currently taking place in Cologne, Germany.

Nintendo consoles have long suffered from piracy issues and the Switch is no different. Even if a game is protected against piracy on its PC version, the released version on Switch can be emulated from day one and played on PC, therefore bypassing the strong protections offered on the PC version. This can happen with any of the numerous games available on Switch.

By preventing piracy on Switch while blocking unauthorized emulations on PC, studios are able to increase their revenue during the game launch window, which is the most important period in regard to monetization. The Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection will ensure that anyone wishing to play the game has to buy a legitimate copy.

As with all other Denuvo solutions, the technology integrates seamlessly into the build toolchain with no impact on the gaming experience. It then allows for the insertion of checks into the code, which blocks gameplay on emulators.

“We at Denuvo understand that piracy negatively affects the gaming industry and are working with the industry parties to ensure they have the latest protection technologies available for them. Our team is excited to provide a solution that helps the developers and publishers to help fight the issue of Nintendo Switch piracy,” said Reinhard Blaukovitsch, Managing Director at Denuvo by Irdeto.

Even though it is hard to pinpoint the exact number of players who emulate Switch games on PC, it is easy to find online forums dedicated to emulation and piracy. The most popular groups have more than one million followers each. Recent research conducted by Irdeto in collaboration with Omdia found that 84% of game developers are continuously concerned about tampering and piracy. The study also found that 93% of those using anti-cheat and anti-tamper solutions are satisfied with the protection and value brought by game protection technologies.
https://irdeto.com/news/denuvo-by-i...ys-first-nintendo-switch-emulator-protection/
https://web.archive.org/web/2022082...ys-first-nintendo-switch-emulator-protection/

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Recent research conducted by Irdeto in collaboration with Omdia found that 84% of game developers are continuously concerned about tampering and piracy. The study also found that 93% of those using anti-cheat and anti-tamper solutions are satisfied with the protection and value brought by game protection technologies.
What a bunch of fucking cucks.
Their "survey" obviously has a rather non representative sample, and that's if we take the survey seriously and assume it isn't mostly fabricated bullshit.

In-game cheating is a concern for 70% of respondents
The vast majority of video games released on the market aren't multiplayer filth concerned with things like anticheat. If such things "concerns" 70% of their respondents then their respondents are a very specific section of the gaming market.

And quite frankly, a load of trash I'm not concerned with preserving.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I suspect this was a while coming. Having a fully functional emulator while hyped up new games are coming out is flying a bit too close to the sun. Although, what was coming out on both Switch and PC that would undermine the PC release?
The vast majority of video games released on the market aren't multiplayer filth concerned with things like anticheat. If such things "concerns" 70% of their respondents then their respondents are a very specific section of the gaming market.
Pretty sure they're talking to game developers, who in this case are overly concerned with protecting their games.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Pretty sure they're talking to game developers, who in this case are overly concerned with protecting their games.
70% of devs do not dev multiplayer games that require anticheat.
True, but I'm thinking the developers they interviewed or the questions they picked lead to them to being overly concerned with it than they should have. However, I should point out two things, this was funded by Denuvo, who want the result to be, BUY OUR DRM OR PIRATES WILL COST YOU TRILLIONS, and, more importantly:
The niche survey was conducted in November–December 2021 and the 70 respondents represented a wide range of geographies, device types and organizations within the game development industry.
I admit I'm not the best at statistics, but that seems like an awfully low number of people to use in a study.

Viata

Arcane
Found out my shitty notebook can run dolphin[at least GC so far]. Already finished Metroid Prime[what an amazing game] and now I'm playing Wind Waker. Already checked if Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine runs too, so I also have two interesting games to play next. I have not tried if any Wii game runs, but that one can wait since I have some GC games to play first. Sometimes happiness comes when you don't expect it, I guess. :love:

Perkel

Arcane
Apparently Denuvo will be releasing its antipiracy software for implementation in switch games.

popcorn.jpg

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What games do I pirate emulate on my Android phone to play during my vacation, as a 33 year old boomer without reflexes or wrist ligaments?

Walden

Savant
What games do I pirate emulate on my Android phone to play during my vacation, as a 33 year old boomer without reflexes or wrist ligaments?
Ghost Trick, Flower Sun Rain and Hash, Final Fantasy Adventure, GTA Chinatown, DQ V, Oishimbo, The Dark Spire, Ankoku Shinwa, Dark Half, Sweet Home.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Apparently Denuvo will be releasing its antipiracy software for implementation in switch games.

popcorn.jpg
I said it in the Denuvo-thread some years ago, and I'll say it again:

There isn't a lock created by Man, that cannot be picked by Man.

Unless they used quantum computers to cook up this stuff, it'll be broken in due time... and even if they did use quantum computers it'll just take longer.

The only difference between this and all the other times is, as Perkel points out - this could be fun to watch.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Does anyone have any experience with Apple IIGS emulators? I've gotten one running, but the game I'm trying to play is one of those diskmag games and its not just insert disk and play like the guides I've found imply. Is there some kind of IIGS OS I'm supposed to be using or am I just missing something simpler?
I am back so i could test it on my settings.Can you tell me what emu you are using and what disk mag?

lightbane

Arcane
Fucking Denuvo in a Nintendo console... I thought one advantage consoles had over PC games was the ability to ignore that scummy DRM cancer, but some people think otherwise. Plus it will be done on the least powerful console of the market to boot, lol.

To be fair, good modern console games are all from Nintendo, the competence gave up and can be played on PC one way or another. Not that you miss much anyway, games are more stale than ever and cannibalize each other constantly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom