Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darkcrystalgames/encased-old-school-isometic-turn-based-rpg

https://encasedgame.com

https://af.gog.com/game/encased_a_scifi_postapocalyptic_rpg?as=1649904300
Encased, a new turn-based post-apocalyptic RPG from a studio founded by an ex-Larian St. Petersburg developer: http://www.indiedb.com/games/encased

DVWNS78X0AEn9Ym.jpg

- What: A modern tactical role-playing game about adventures and survival in a special zone left from an ancient race of unknown origin, the spiritual successor of renown isometric RPGs of the early 2000s.

- Title: working title - Encased.

- When: early access in 2019.

- Who: Dark Crystal Games - indie-studio from St. Petersburg, Russia. Now we have six permanent experienced developers who worked on such games as Divinity: Original Sin (DOSEE and DOS2), Life Is Feudal: Forest Village, Leviathan: The Last Day of The Decade, and also indirectly related to such games as King's Bounty: Legions, Braveland, and others. We are going to build up the backbone of up to ten people, and at the peak attract fifteen-sixteen.

I guess it's too early to make a thread, so posting here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In the works from the Russians at Dark Crystal Games. Entering early access next year. Six man studio at this point and some of them worked on D:OS :)cool:) and D:OS2 :)decline:).

Why I had to find out about this on the watch is a mystery, but I suppose even the best robots need routine maintenance.

Credit where it’s due:

https://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=39462

Here’s Dark Crystal’s website if you don’t want to give those mofos the traffic:
http://darkcrystalgames.com/

Looks intriguing, figured it deserves a thread. What are the odds this turns out to be vaporware? Maybe, just maybe, they’ll give their fellow post-soviet, post-apocalyptic developers at ATOM RPG a run for their money.

Sidenote: I think I liked the movie The Dark Crystal a lot when I was still a wee little Kyl Von Kull, so points for that I guess.

ArchAngel

Arcane
A bit early to have a topic about a game that is 1 year away from EA and has almost no real info about it. And it will probably release in 2020 or something.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Oh, that's great that outside of AAA market people are not bound by all those mainstream conventions obsessed with recreating the same success with no originality allowed! I wonder what would they do with that creative freedom!

...Another post-apocalyptic RPG with turn-based combat. I see.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah I remember seeing something about this last week but there was literally no information there.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I already have had this listed in the Upcoming rpgs thread but there isn't much to go on. Put an expected release date of 202X on it.

Mustawd

...Another post-apocalyptic RPG with turn-based combat. I see.

Another? How many of these do you know of?

Fallout series? Wasteland? So fantasy settings can be unlimited, but turn based post apoc can only have 2?

I guess AoD counts since it is also post apocalyptic.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Apart from the ones you've mentioned there's Underrail, NEO Scavenger, After Reset. Point is you got a lot of them around Wasteland 2. Also a lot of projects like that died while in production. I know, was a part of one of them.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
You say they're from Russia? As I think in Russian I didn't see the problem with name, it's like entombed but with "case" instead. Not a translation of any particular Russian word but it sounds like a normal English word to me, non-native speaker.

Mustawd

Apart from the ones you've mentioned there's Underrail, NEO Scavenger, After Reset.

I'll give you the first two, although the second is more rogue-like. And After Reset? Lawl.

Regardless, a handful of game sin the last 20 years doesn't seem like a lot to me at all. I say keep bringing them. There's more to explore in the setting for sure.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
There is more to explore in any setting and it doesn't mean the game is wrong. But whatever you think about Bethesda games they're making the biggest postapocalyptic game out there. Plus there are a lot of action games like Metro or Mad Max or The Last of Us and so on. This setting is not that far behind high fantasy in being overused. How many, say, historical RPGs we got in the last few years besides Kingdom Come Deliverance? Those brave non-mainstream indie guys are less innovative in terms of setting than many AAA-publishers - even rich guys do stuff like Far Cry Blood Dragon (80's action movie parody) or Far Cry Primal (prehistoric times) or Assassins Creed sometimes having interesting settings (they had one about Byzantium - not something you often see).

Obsidian under a freaking SEGA could go and make modern spy setting RPG, but when they get their creative freedom they make a blend of Baldur's Gate and Planescape setting (which is technically the same setting but you get the idea). I liked Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny was at least somewhat original. I also liked Banner Saga. But all those games make miniscule changes to generic fantasy worlds and sell it as if it's something original. They don't use their creative freedom and work with smaller budgets, so in most cases they look not like a rebellion against the boring status quo but more like an attempt to do exactly the same thing but cheaper.

Mustawd

This setting is not that far behind high fantasy in being overused.

How can you say that with a straight face? Try to count how many Fantasy crpgs we have. It's ridiculous.

It's one thing to say that games in a certain setting are unimaginative and derivative. Fine, I can agree with that. It's a whole other thing to say that a setting is tapped after less than a dozen games in that setting.

And fuck Bethesda. I thought w were talking proper turn based games?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is more to explore in any setting and it doesn't mean the game is wrong. But whatever you think about Bethesda games they're making the biggest postapocalyptic game out there. Plus there are a lot of action games like Metro or Mad Max or The Last of Us and so on. This setting is not that far behind high fantasy in being overused. How many, say, historical RPGs we got in the last few years besides Kingdom Come Deliverance? Those brave non-mainstream indie guys are less innovative in terms of setting than many AAA-publishers - even rich guys do stuff like Far Cry Blood Dragon (80's action movie parody) or Far Cry Primal (prehistoric times) or Assassins Creed sometimes having interesting settings (they had one about Byzantium - not something you often see).

Obsidian under a freaking SEGA could go and make modern spy setting RPG, but when they get their creative freedom they make a blend of Baldur's Gate and Planescape setting (which is technically the same setting but you get the idea). I liked Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny was at least somewhat original. I also liked Banner Saga. But all those games make miniscule changes to generic fantasy worlds and sell it as if it's something original. They don't use their creative freedom and work with smaller budgets, so in most cases they look not like a rebellion against the boring status quo but more like an attempt to do exactly the same thing but cheaper.

They’re still limited by the need to make money—Pillars had to be generic to raise Kickstarter money. Original settings are risky, like TTON. Major publishers have more freedom to experiment because they can survive a failed title or two.

Tyranny had a pretty novel setting, you rarely see Bronze Age fantasy where the evil overlord has already won. Besides, Project Indiana with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky will likely have a weird setting because that’s their stock in trade.

I think the prevalence of post apocalyptic fiction these days probably reflects some element of contemporary culture.

Entombed would be a much better English title for this game than Encased.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
How can you say that with a straight face? Try to count how many Fantasy crpgs we have. It's ridiculous.

It's one thing to say that games in a certain setting are unimaginative and derivative. Fine, I can agree with that. It's a whole other thing to say that a setting is tapped after less than a dozen games in that setting.

And fuck Bethesda. I thought w were talking proper turn based games?

I'm talking about using setting in general. There are lot of movies and action games in postapocalyptic setting, probably more than fantasy. Of course there's much more high fantasy in RPG, but postapocalyptic setting is probably second place. Not historical setting, not modern setting, not sci-fi.

To my Russian speaking ear Entombed sounds like something about Ancient Egypt. Developers probably meant "immured" or something.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Which part of "second most used setting in turn-based RPG" do you call bullshit?

Maybe the first if you count all the unreleased stuff that was closed mid-development over the years.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Wake me up when they state it's turn-based.

No time to sleep:

Anyway concept pieces look nice:

DV198v2XUAY2coA.jpg

I think its funny the Russians still have to list if adventure and combat will be different modes. This reminds me of those rpgs that came out in the earlier part of this century I can't think of the names of - I think one was cop something. Decent games but being full non-stop TB is too annoying.

Also, you guys are missing a bunch of post-apocalyptic rpgs like Kria Mira, and two other newish releases (the one where NYC was sunk, and I can't even think of the name of the other). You have the all the zombie ones such as Dead State, Waste Walkers, etc, and the arpgs like Zombasite, Grim Dawn, etc. All the console ones like ELEX, the fake Fallouts, How to Survive, and probably a million more. All the MMOs like Fallen Earth, Edengard, the Skies, etc. And more offworld sci-fi ones you could probably name. And this is just from the top of my head. And for MMOs Fallen Earth does count because it is best played as a SP game. The community is probably small enough that that it almost is SP too. Hellgate London is another one. Hell, I could sit here all day and think up more. Like the new XCOM type game based on the TV show about the alien invasion apocalypse (not new as in a new game, but new as in the new XCOM games).

I think AoD, ELEX, Grim Dawn, and Zombasite are bad examples since most people think of Earth when they think post apocalyptic.

Anyhow, I'll take any real rpg I can get from any setting - so I am very happy to hear this news.

Codex Year of the Donut
Wake me up when they state it's turn-based.

No time to sleep:

Anyway concept pieces look nice:

DV198v2XUAY2coA.jpg

I think its funny the Russians still have to list if adventure and combat will be different modes. This reminds me of those rpgs that came out in the earlier part of this century I can't think of the names of - I think one was cop something. Decent games but being full non-stop TB is too annoying.

Also, you guys are missing a bunch of post-apocalyptic rpgs like Kria Mira, and two other newish releases (the one where NYC was sunk, and I can't even think of the name of the other). You have the all the zombie ones such as Dead State, Waste Walkers, etc, and the arpgs like Zombasite, Grim Dawn, etc. All the console ones like ELEX, the fake Fallouts, How to Survive, and probably a million more. All the MMOs like Fallen Earth, Edengard, the Skies, etc. And more offworld sci-fi ones you could probably name. And this is just from the top of my head. And for MMOs Fallen Earth does count because it is best played as a SP game. The community is probably small enough that that it almost is SP too. Hellgate London is another one. Hell, I could sit here all day and think up more. Like the new XCOM type game based on the TV show about the alien invasion apocalypse (not new as in a new game, but new as in the new XCOM games).

I think AoD, ELEX, Grim Dawn, and Zombasite are bad examples since most people think of Earth when they think post apocalyptic.

Anyhow, I'll take any real rpg I can get from any setting - so I am very happy to hear this news.

Is Krai Mira worth playing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom