Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

jac8awol

Arbiter
It's like you can actually see them in a room with the investor like, "What are the kids into these days? Voice acting!"

Tired of this shit. It's never been a useful feature of RPGs and trying to hammer it in just pisses off the fans that would rather see funds used on meaningful development. I bought this on Steam ages ago on codexers' recommendation and never played it, waiting for completion. Well I just hope they got enough cash to put into the other areas to properly finish the game now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/games/921800/announcements/detail/5294509423364691488

Content patch #4 delayed until tomorrow
a2e0c5af2ad4f493311fb67979b26ae62176cb4b.png

Friends, today we promised to release the 4th content patch, but we need more time.

You will be able to visit the updated world under the Dome tomorrow.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/921800/view/2921112882521475356

BIG ENCASED PATCH: NEW ENEMY AI, NEW INTERFACE AND NEW COMPANIONS
a2e0c5af2ad4f493311fb67979b26ae62176cb4b.png

We really wanted to release Encased this year, but we postponed it due to the introduction of new content and full voice acting. The game has increased in size, and we need time to tweak and polish it. We're releasing this patch to delight you before the final push, and also because we appreciate your participation, feedback, and help.

The development wasn’t easy. Three years of work, a large project, and a coronavirus pandemic awaited us. We switched to remote work back in the spring, some of our employees got sick, and some of them even ended up in hospital. Still, we made it: most of the work on the main storyline is complete, the game brought together an active and friendly community and the team welcomed new great people. We also signed a contract with Koch Media! They will help us finish Encased and make it a really good game.

This partnership will allow us to remain who we are and do what the studio was created to do — develop exciting games focused on the wishes of players, not on analytics, monetization and PR. All the work related to quality control, publishing and promotion of the game will be done by our new partners from Koch Media, we believe in their experience and professionalism, and we know that they will do a great job.

In the meantime, here's the last pre-release patch. After that, we're coming to the finish line to release the game you've all been waiting for!

List of changes by category

Story
Encased development is still in an active phase, but work on the main storyline is complete, and the game is fully playable, from start to finish. We want to keep the intrigue alive, and there will be no finale, as well as the second and third acts in the upcoming patch. But don't feel sad: we've added new companions, random encounters, and other important things.

• We added two new companions: a crime fighter nicknamed Sparrow and a movie actor Cheerful Jack,
  • We added biography details and additional questions about the world, factions and other partners to personal companion dialogue,
  • Companions now have more context reactions,
  • Companions now react to other companions,
  • We added reactions to car theft in the prologue.

Gameplay
  • Skill cap increased to 150,
  • Changed the system of learning skills. Now skills are divided between 5 ranks. To unlock them you’ll need 30, 60, 90, 120, 150 skill points respectively,
  • Ability point mechanics removed,
  • Combined the "Stealth" and "Criminal" skill branches,
  • Rebalanced and refined perks: their total number increased to 79, significantly changed their influence on the gameplay,
  • Character creation menu now has pre-designed heroes available,
  • The character creation menu now allows you to add one of 15 optional traits to your character,
  • Reworked formulas for calculating base values of attributes and skills,
  • Active abilities of the skill "Psionics" are divided between 4 types of psi gloves based on one type of effects: electricity, freezing, fire or mental,
  • Anomalous zones were added to random encounters, affecting gameplay,
  • Devices: added jetpacks that allow you to move around the location,
  • Devices: added harpoons, allowing you to pull an enemy to you,
  • Devices: added different types of grenades,
  • Piloting: added abilities for servoshell,
  • Piloting: in some locations you can ride on electric forklifts, also added puzzles related to electric forklifts,
  • Piloting: added the plot-related ability to use cars in the prologue,
  • Improved support for stealth and non-lethal playthroughs.

AI
Enemy behavior in combat became much more advanced. Enemies now actively use items, abilities, and act within their specialization. The changes affected not only the "combat" AI: we introduced the first version of the crime system. Now NPCs react to the player's unlawful actions: you can no longer break into doors in front of guards and must use stealth. It is better to leave the scene of the crime as soon as possible: the injured character or just a random witness will immediately start patrolling the area and conduct their own investigation. If you are caught, civilians can call guards, who, however, can be intimidated or bribed.

• Combat AI was redesigned and optimized: enemies actively use abilities, heal themselves and their allies, use consumables (tasers, alcohol, sleep grenades, stimulants),
  • The behavior of the enemies became more diverse and interesting, and all of them have specializations now,
  • Fixed errors with experience and fatigue gaining during non-lethal walkthroughs,
  • NPCs now react to crimes committed by the player. They can investigate what happened, change the faction's attitude toward the player, call guards, etc.,
  • Added a jail system in the settlements: the player's character can be imprisoned, can escape, etc.

Interface
We drew a new, beautiful interface that changed all old elements: the main HUD, the PDA (work is still in progress), the global map. The interface of the character creation screen, the combat grid, aiming, ability icons, and much, much more has changed. We got the most readable and user-friendly UI that allows you to focus on the story, exploring the world, leveling the hero and making tactical decisions in battle.

• Reworked game screen interface,
  • Added ability to scale the main interface,
  • Redesigned difficulty choice interface,
  • Redesigned character creation interface,
  • Redesigned global map interface,
  • Reworked PDA interface — Abilities, Perks, Attributes,
  • Reworked PDA interface — Inventory,
  • Redesigned combat grid and aiming indicators,
  • Redesigned stealth interface,
  • Added option to disable camera shake.

Art
The game's graphics have improved significantly since early access, but we continue to work on the visuals, adding portraits, illustrations, icons, and other visual content to Encased.

• We added a lot of unique portraits for characters, both for regular NPCs and story characters,
  • Added illustrations to random encounters,
  • Updated ability icons,
  • Faction equipment items for the characters of the first act are now displayed,
  • Added and replaced a lot of assets,
  • Changed, refined and optimized lighting on many locations,

Locations
  • We reworked some of the encounter locations: added new content and improved visuals,
  • Improved story locations.

Other
  • Added voiceover for story interactions in the prologue (Russian version only).

There's still a lot of stuff not included in this patch. We're actively developing controller support, directing the voice acting, tweaking and adding many of the little details that always make games more beloved and memorable. Encased is that kind of game for us, and we want it to be that way for you too.

We are very close to the end of development. Just a little more and the full version of the game will appear on Steam, GOG and consoles. Final release date will be announced a bit later.

Last edited by a moderator:

ironmask

Arbiter
Still concerned about voice acting. I'm not sure how much of a budget increase they got but I wonder if they can really pull it off. Most people that are going to buy this game, won't care for voice acting. All I really wanted were some talking heads like in OG fallout.

Takamori

Learned
Yeah the full VO is a damn red flag for me, also we can confirm they basically scrapped the weapon modding upgrade system with the Tier garbage system?

Sykar

Arcane
I tried out the new version and I must admit I liked the polished new character sheets. Attributes got a unique symbol with a seperate color now, skills are now found in two tabs, one combat one non-combat, each 30 skill points open up now the abilities instead of abity points though you must still fullfill all requirements which can be a certain level in other skills or a certain attribute not related to the skill group.
Most intruiging now are the new traits which like in Fallout give you a significant advantage but also drawback, which is pure incline imho, for example "Intuitive" gives you a lot of extra initiative but you cannot save AP anymore. There are now A LOT of new PSI abilities. Before this update you had like 5 PSI powers which was pretty boring, now we got around 20 which makes PSI much more intruiging to play. Hacking is now a science skill in case you are trying to find it, there has been some reshuffeling done.
I am still playing only the prologue though because I do want to spoiler myself too hard for the full release.

Last edited:

pm_675

Arbiter
I tried out the new version and I must admit I liked the polished new character sheets. Attributes got a unique symbol with a seperate color now, skills are now found in two tabs, one combat one non-combat, each 30 skill points open up now the abilities instead of abity points though you must still fullfill all requirements which can be a certain level in other skills or a certain attribute not related to the skill group.
Most intruiging now are the new traits which like in Fallout give you a significant advantage but also drawback, which is pure incline imho, for example "Intuitive" gives you a lot of extra initiative but you cannot save AP anymore. There are now A LOT of new PSI abilities. Before this update you had like 5 PSI powers which was pretty boring, now we got around 20 which makes PSI much more intruiging to play. Hacking is now a science skill in case you are trying to find it, there has been some reshuffeling done.
I am still playing only the prologue though because I do want to spoiler myself too hard for the full release.

Did they revamp the fatigue system? It was pure garbage before.

Renevent

Cipher
Still concerned about voice acting. I'm not sure how much of a budget increase they got but I wonder if they can really pull it off. Most people that are going to buy this game, won't care for voice acting. All I really wanted were some talking heads like in OG fallout.

Completely agree...I play these types of games because I enjoy old school styled RPG's...couldn't give two shits about voice acting. Whatever time/money that went into VO would have been better spent on items/location/art/etc.

Sykar

Arcane

Did they revamp the fatigue system? It was pure garbage before.

It is the same.

Sykar

Arcane
Piloting skill gives substantial benefits to the servo armor now. Last ability at 150 skill level even gives +2 bonus AP and a trait gives you bonus AP as well while in servo armor though you have reduced AP without servo armor. I can already envision a juggernaut heavy weapon build that runs around tanking everything and laying waste with his minigun. Could be fun.
Speech at 150 gives you a unique PSI ability that scales with charisma instead of psyche. Tech 150 gives you a bonus perk. A lot of nice stuff as end talent around.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Is the prologue still a joke? I had 300rounds of assault rifle amo, 20 stimpacks, a flame thrower and a mfing grenade launcher after the prologue when I played it 2 months ago. Even Fallout 4 has a less generous start.

Sykar

Arcane
Not much has changed in the prologue as far as I can tell. It is a little harder now to get all the abilities for all the potential checks so somewhat less exp but otherwise? Not really. Not that I care that much about it, it is just the prologue. They should make you lose most of your stuff though.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Great just started and already angry, they fucked up character creation and you can no longer min-max skills. The highest skill level you can get at the start is 35 of 150. In the older versions, you could start with 60 points of 100, Meaning no matter what you do in character creation you start with shitty skill levels. I thought they wanted to recreate Fallout but now it reminds me more of Fallout 4

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Great just started and already angry, they fucked up character creation and you can no longer min-max skills. The highest skill level you can get at the start is 35 of 150. In the older versions, you could start with 60 points of 100, Meaning no matter what you do in character creation you start with shitty skill levels. I thought they wanted to recreate Fallout but now it reminds me more of Fallout 4
Or Underrail.:positive:

Sykar

Arcane

What? It is not even close to FO4. FO4 barely had a functioning RPG system. :roll:
You get a generous 10+brains skill points per level meaning int is not all that important compared to FO. All attributes have a reasonable impact even Charisma whereas in FO Charisma could safely be dumped. You get to level 3 very swiftly already at the Roadside Picninc and around 5 in Nashville and both are still considered prologue. That gives you enough skill points at the beginning of the actual game.
Before the last update it was VERY easy with ANY character build succeed in all checks during the prologue and raking in experience bucketful. Now you will lose out at least at some checks.
If you really want higher skill starting level, there is a trait that gives you +10 all skills though you get crit harder by enemies.

Dodo1610

Arcane

What? It is not even close to FO4. FO4 barely had a functioning RPG system. :roll:
You get a generous 10+brains skill points per level meaning int is not all that important compared to FO. All attributes have a reasonable impact even Charisma whereas in FO Charisma could safely be dumped. You get to level 3 very swiftly already at the Roadside Picninc and around 5 in Nashville and both are still considered prologue. That gives you enough skill points at the beginning of the actual game.
Before the last update it was VERY easy with ANY character build succeed in all checks during the prologue and raking in experience bucketful. Now you will lose out at least at some checks.
If you really want higher skill starting level, there is a trait that gives you +10 all skills though you get crit harder by enemies.
The Fallout 4 comment was obviously :shitposting:
And I get why they did it since it was way too easy to build an OP min max character, still I don't like it. Though I have to admit I didn't realise until after my rage post that they also added a learning stat which changes how much EXP you get. :oops:

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
I want to ask someone knowledgeable: will this game release? I remember getting interested some two years ago and last i heard the devs were busy changing the opening sequence over and over. Seeing how the game is still in early access it has me thinking the devs are not in control of the situation. How does it look from up close?

Drowed

Arcane
Seeing how the game is still in early access it has me thinking the devs are not in control of the situation. How does it look from up close?

There is a gradual, slow but undeniable, progress in the production of the game. They have just closed the deal with a publisher that will allow FULLVO for the game (unfortunately). Does this mean that the final version will be released in a timely way? Not really. But given the context, it is very unlikely that the game will not be finished. Also, Early Acess was launched about 1 year ago, 09/2019, not 2 years ago.

ironmask

Arbiter
I wonder if voice acting was something the publisher wanted them to do and not the developers decision. Oh well, they could still pull this off. New Vegas and bloodlines had some decent C&C despite being full voice acted.

Drowed

Arcane
Honestly, it's hard to say either way. It's very likely that it's a decision (AKA, imposition) of the publisher, thinking that this way the game would reach a bigger market... Which is true. Just remember all the butthurt that happened when Larian dared to say that DOS:2 would not have fullvo. Therefore, I can believe that the developers would think this would be something positive for the game, sadly. Hell, even Disco Elysium is getting fullvo.

Takamori

Learned
RmJYOPI.png

Good news weapon mods still in their plans, but I guess is for the final release?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom