Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

Salvo

Arcane
Still can't get over how better the old prologue flowed narrative-wise.:negative:

Salvo

Arcane
Still can't get over how better the old prologue flowed narrative-wise.:negative:
how did the old prologue go?
It involved you going to Magellan first, not the tutorial shit present now. You got to know a few named characters and, post-Nashville timeskip where you're lost in the mists of time, could meet them again with them going WTF?
Also, Magellan gets destroyed.

All in all, the old prologue made a bigger lasting impact because you could play around for a bit before being shipped to Nashville, and your disappearance was actually a big deal since it happens in the middle of everything.

In the new prologue you're a nobody and you have barely met anyone when you get lost in time, so the narrative impact is lost.

EDIT: also the new tutorial sucks compared to the old.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
how did the old prologue go?
It involved you going to Magellan first, not the tutorial shit present now. You got to know a few named characters and, post-Nashville timeskip where you're lost in the mists of time, could meet them again with them going WTF?
Also, Magellan gets destroyed.

All in all, the old prologue made a bigger lasting impact because you could play around for a bit before being shipped to Nashville, and your disappearance was actually a big deal since it happens in the middle of everything.

In the new prologue you're a nobody and you have barely met anyone when you get lost in time, so the narrative impact is lost.

EDIT: also the new tutorial sucks compared to the old.
yeah that sounds better. i did feeling pretty detached from the events that's what's really felt wrong with it. i didn't get attached with anything, just goes with the flow (I am not describing my own life. no. hahahaha . . . hahaha)

why'd they changed it?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
So all you guys who are interested in this game and who praise it: Do you really have a reason to believe it's not gonna be a vapour-ware? Because from what I understood, there were actually more really poorly handled events, such as the "Game is coming out in December 2020" whereas the game has been, like 1/5 ready in January etc...

If so, please be my guest and tell me. I would also like some more optimistic shine into my existence.

Acrux

Arcane
That communication was not handled well, but December 2020 is when they signed on with Koch Media as a publisher. Koch wanted to launch them as part of their new "premium" label and so they apparently under NDA for the past 6 months and couldn't talk about why the delay.

The new update shows that they have been working on it, Koch is doing a big media blitz, there's been steady communication and updates since the long blackout, etc.

The game is mostly done, so I guess it's possible everything could stop between now and September (when its supposed to release) but it honestly doesn't feel like past vapourware projects. I can't think of one where there was silence for a long time, then a lot of solid content updates close to targeted release that never actually launched.

I think the "blame" would go mostly to Koch for the silence, but it looks like they were trying to get this new premium brand set up.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Because they thought it was "too hard on modern Westerners' brains". Not even joking
Wasn't it just picking a starting wing and following NPC's instructions? They probably just fucked up and covered it with 'making it more accessible' bullshit.

Unwanted

Rewrite

Latest Doxxer Account
Dumbfuck
So all you guys who are interested in this game and who praise it: Do you really have a reason to believe it's not gonna be a vapour-ware? Because from what I understood, there were actually more really poorly handled events, such as the "Game is coming out in December 2020" whereas the game has been, like 1/5 ready in January etc...

If so, please be my guest and tell me. I would also like some more optimistic shine into my existence.
NH3yrv6.png

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Looks a bit ropey art-design and graphics wise, and the UI is painfully generic, but eh, I'll give it a chance. I like the car-driving storybook sequence!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Nobody was waiting for us inside the dong"

Cheesy enough sci-fi voice over for me :)

jackofshadows

Magister
Visually looks fine but what's up with those dialogue replies? Jesus fuck, what were they thinking when copied the worst shit of D:OS2? Some other writing bits I've seen also don't exactly inspire optimism (like they trying to outplay ATOM on their own field "who will write the most cringiest shit").
webp
Mechanics wise I didn't dig much yet but it looks like a mess so far. Survival is a weird one for instance. Also, so, so much rework... I keeping an eye on this but have a really bad feeling about this game.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Visually looks fine but what's up with those dialogue replies? Jesus fuck, what were they thinking when copied the worst shit of D:OS2? Some other writing bits I've seen also don't exactly inspire optimism (like they trying to outplay ATOM on their own field "who will write the most cringiest shit")
russian devs, not even once

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/921800/view/2974048191999546088

1a50cdbb94143b138856d6407a55d8979d4a0b34.gif

Dear subscribers! Once again, the latest issue of the post-apocalyptic CRONUS Weekly is on your screens. Can anyone hear us?

Today we want to talk a little bit about the world of Encased and how it reacts to player actions.

976901bdae0fdc87768d74a9d41b26cbfae2a844.jpg

Factions under the Dome are living organisms that react to your actions and decisions. If you kill, insult, or steal something from a faction representative, be prepared that every faction member will now dislike you. Making friends with everyone is even harder, many quests take away reputation from one side and accrue it to the other.

High reputation will give you discounts on barter and other faction services, while a negative reputation can turn entire settlements of initially neutral Dome residents against you.

By the way, even if you follow only the main story, you will get to know each of them in one way or another.

Visuals and inhabitants of locations

ba57696ff19af906745bc31f40d52ad22c49b25d.jpg

Have you repaired the power supply to the research center, killed the entire settlement, or done some other big deed? The world under the Dome will react. Players can check this right now by killing everyone at the "Roadside Picnic" location. Both before and after the Incident. The game will remember every move you make.

Crimes

22e9c3c6717851a79b19147ad916e39cc53fe316.jpg

In Encased, players will have the opportunity not only to take needed items from corpses, but also to steal them from living people. The former owner will start looking for the stolen item after some time and will continue to do so for a week. All this time the item will have the status "stolen" and cannot be sold.

If the guards catch you red-handed, you can go to prison for a week, where every day the hero will be given food and water so that he will not die of hunger.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
fuck, what were they thinking when copied the worst shit of D:OS2?

They were like - it's what we did at DOS2, it sold great, thus we will do that again?
I mean, seriously, I think you are aware that core of devs worked on DOS2 rigth?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom