Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Encountering a problem

Busses

Novice
Hi, I last posted here about 2 years ago, I wanted to buy the game then and I still do now, only now I have the money to do so. But, I have been getting a strange problem, when I load up the game I only get about 10 mins of gameplay before my computer shuts its self down, this has happened before with games similar to this, and I was wondering if anyone here knew why this might be happening and what I could do about it, I really want to buy this game but can't see the point if I can only play in 10 minute increments :(

Specs:

XP SP1
Intel Celeron 2.20 GHz
512 MB Ram
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128 MB

Erm, thats all I can think of for now, I hope I can get the game working for a longer period of time, as I really loved the demo, and I want to be able to enjoy the full version. Thanks for your advice.

Ladonna

Arcane
When you say 'Shutdown' do you mean an actual shutdown or do you mean the power just drops out?

Reason I ask is because this has happened to me when my Power supply unit starting going to shit. It only happened when I played a game, so at first i thought it was the games.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Sounds like one of your components is overheating and shutting the computer down. Probably either your powersupply or your videocard. I recommend opening your computer up and thoroughly cleaning all of the dust out, taking out your videocard and using q-tips and cans of compressed air to clean out dust stuck to the fan blades or lodged in between pieces of plastic.

If you're not comfortable opening up your powersupply and cleaning it manually then just shooting compressed air into it should probably suffice to stir the dust inside. Also, don't forget your CPU's heatsink, as that can get clogged too.

If it turns out that dust isn't the problem, then see if you can borrow another powersupply and test it out with your machine. If it still shuts itself down, then see if you can borrow another videocard and test it with your machine. And so and so forth, until you narrow down the culprit.

Wulfgar

Scholar
I'm guessing the CPU is the problem. Intel shuts down or restarts when it gets overheated. It used to happen to me all the time while I was trying to do anything relatively "CPU demanding" with a busted cooler. Check the state of your cooler and thermal paste.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Is the fellation barn in Washington, and does it involve horses.

Busses

Novice
thanks

Thanks for the advice, I am writing this from school, as I managed to break the computer sorta, I was cleaning out the dust (it was still working at this point) then when I closed it up and reconnected it all again, it just wouldn't boot up, the power light flashed for a split second then went off, and nothing happens. I should be getting some advice on this problem tonight, and I will see if I can borrow some hardware and test it out, I think you were right about the overheating, because after each crash I went to the temerature readout during boot up and it was 80 degrees C, the automatic shutdown only went up to 70, (I had it on disable) so thanks for the help, and hopefully, I will be playing soon, for more than 10 mins. :D Right now I'd be happy if it booted :D

EDIT: I think you are totally right Ladonna about the power supply the computer is almost 5 years old now, if I could afford a new one I would get one :)

Oh and do you think getting it to 80C about 5 times very quickly could have stopped it from booting up ? (Like has it gotten something so hot it's been totally messed up?)

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
Hi Busses,

well, this certainly sounds like a hardware/cooling system problem to me, and I'd suppose 80°C is quite a lot for a processor to stand.

Games like Teudogar are a bit more CPU-demanding than, say, surfing the Internet with Internet Explorer. But that doesn't amount to much; watching a DVD movie or MPEG video clip should put much greater stress on your processer. The amount of data processing/volume Teudogar does is particularly tiny: It runs smoothly on a 10-year-old P5 with just 100 MHz and 16 MB RAM. Considering this, the idea that a PC with 2,200 MHz (2.2 GHz) could possibly be overwhelmed (made to overheat) by it is a hilarious joke.

So I'd presume, as the others have said, that your PC's cooling or power system is the culprit. (If software compatibility with your graphics card was the problem, your PC would probably just hang up/reboot, not shutdown.)

Hopefully you can revive your PC. Best wishes!

Busses

Novice
Heatsink

Hi again, I think I found the problem with the booting. The heatsink bracket was partly broken, and so wouldn't stay in the correct place, would this stop the computer from booting up? In any case :lol: I should find a replacement for it. Thanks for more advice and for the previous advice.

Busses

Novice
Sorry for the double post. I have decided to give up on the computer and I'm gonna start saving for a new one. So in a few months I should be ok to play and buy the game :)

EDIT: A friend has managed to fix the computer, I will test the game out when I get it back tonight.

Busses

Novice
A quick update, the computer wasn't fixed, it is now, the game works fine, no crashing at all, I hope to buy the game soon :)

Thanks for all the advice.

EDIT: It was the powersupply that caused the problem.

Ladonna

Arcane
Good stuff!

Now sit back, and enjoy. Its a damn good RPG, with some great quests and dialogue. Watch out for the Romans! And Bears!

Busses

Novice
You're right there, first played it 2 years ago, roughly this time 2 years ago. I've made more posts in the last few weeks than I have done since last I played the game :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom