Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

End of the road for Warhammer Online

Anonymous

I agree there, I dont see how table-top turn-based strategy game can be formed into a real-time MMORPG, anyways.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Haha. Owned. That didn't take long, did it?

I saw the trailer. It looked like ARSE. Goodbye lame MMO. :wave:

Voss

Erudite
It did take a while. They've been working on it for at least 2 years.

I think they finally realized that they wouldn't make enough money off of yet another MMO (in a market already flooded with theme).
That and they have been showing it and Dawn of War at their Games Day conventions for the last year. The difference in the level of interest was extremely noticeable.

I got a chance to see a fair bit last month... they've been working and working and working on the graphics. But the usual question of what do the players do besides kill things & level was rather up in the air.

Rosh

Erudite
They ran into that problem 2 years down the line and didn't see that when it was first put into design? Did they go for all that time based upon this equasion, figuring they would fill it in later?

Fighting + ??? = Lotsa $$$ every month!

Voss

Erudite
Well, they might have had ideas about it, but when they were showing it off at Games Day, it was just graphics, graphics, graphics. Internally, well, you'd have to ask them.
And hey, its an Online game. You can't expect quality gameplay. It would be like a FPS with real bullets.

The telling point I think, came when the rep on the software end said 'We aren't going to release this until it looks absolutely kick ass'. I suspect someone on the GW corporate end heard him, and thought 'Oh, yeah? And you've cost us how much money so far? Let's see some numbers, then.'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom