Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware End State - turn-based tactics by Finnish lunatic - now available on Early Access(!)

agris

Arcane
Patron
Honestly, I'm shocked. Great news Parsimonious cook , love the Silent Storm audio markers.

How is destruction? Can you blow out walls with explosives, shoot through doors with heavy caliber weapons, etc?

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Explosives are probably not in the Alpha yet (or I at least havent seen them so far), I assume that it will be possible to destroy things eventually. You can shoot through cover/at the enemies you dont see, but it doesnt seem to be effective (than again the most powerful weapon I have seen so far was an AK).

Generaly, I guess that lot of the cool stuff is not yet implemented, but the foundations are there for this to be p. gud. The huge question obviously is whether the Finnish Lunatic is actually going to finish things up before disappearing for several years again.

geno

Savant
Explosives are probably not in the Alpha yet (or I at least havent seen them so far), I assume that it will be possible to destroy things eventually. You can shoot through cover/at the enemies you dont see, but it doesnt seem to be effective (than again the most powerful weapon I have seen so far was an AK).
Actually some missions reward you with grenades and there are also lockers to loot (so far I've found protective armor). I didn't test it properly but it partially destroyed a wooden guard house. It's not flashy or anything, I assume it's a placeholder system like most of the stuff in the build, I didn't notice if it was animated and it doesn't seem like there are physics involved so far.
I wouldn't expect a Silent Storm: it had an engine which accommodate the destruction, good luck trying that with a commercial engine like Unity or Unreal.
Right now I see the skeleton of a good game, it just needs flesh and polish. But I was optimistic too when I played the first Phoenix Point alpha and we know how it finished. Hopefully this project won't be as mismanaged as PP.

Oh, and from their Steam site:
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“Currently we expect the early access phase to last for about a year.”
LOL.

Glory to Ukraine
The reaction fire mechnic is something that should be mentioned - every character has a reaction stat and when they do or trigger reaction fire, the stats of all involved are tested against each other. The result is a reaction time for each character, which dictates the order in which they act.

As an example, my dude ran around the corner and it turned out there were two enemies behind it, reaction fire was triggered. Luckily for me, my dude had the best stat and ended up going first - I decided to keep running and get into the next cover. My dude ran, made it to safety and only then the enemies got to fire, though their shots went into emptyness previously occupied by my dude. The reaction fire was wasted and I could safely engage the two hostiles with the rest of my team.

If you invest enough points into this stat to build a proper speedy boy, you can use this very much to your advantage. This mechanic is really original and I find it pretty cool, tbh fam.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Does it use nuXCOM sticky cover?

Edit: watched eXplorminate's video. Yep it uses sticky cover (a questionable decision considering they already implemented the 3 main stances). Also have to say it looks really basic. It takes elements from Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance and X-Com, but in execution it also seems to be more XCOM than any of the OG giants. Unless they redo most of the system, I can't imagine this being any good :|. This is considering the fact that we already have Project Haven and Urban Strife in the pipeline, which have been successful in demonstrating tactical complexity.

Last edited:

geno

Savant

Edit: watched eXplorminate's video. Yep it uses sticky cover (a questionable decision considering they already implemented the 3 main stances).
Even if you are taking cover, you can still select a stance (which doesn't cost any AP). I don't know if it serves any purpose besides changing the hitbox.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Edit: watched eXplorminate's video. Yep it uses sticky cover (a questionable decision considering they already implemented the 3 main stances). Also have to say it looks really basic. It takes elements from Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance and X-Com, but in execution it also seems to be more XCOM than any of the OG giants. Unless they redo most of the system, I can't imagine this being any good :|. This is considering the fact that we already have Project Haven and Urban Strife in the pipeline, which have been successful in demonstrating tactical complexity.
What do you mean, are the bullets abstract things like in nuXcom?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
What do you mean, are the bullets abstract things like in nuXcom?
I know they said they use ballistics, but watching the aforementioned video, I think I spotted a moment where the bullet passed through the van. (Time stamp is around 11 mins. Maybe I'm wrong and the bullet hit the PC's head? But sure looked to me like the bullet went through the van.)

But putting the CTH/ballistics discussion aside, a lot of other aspects appear streamlined/casualised. No suppression, info markers and tool tips (eg "Enemy is investigating"), no speed changing, among other things and personal biases. I guess the fact that the YouTuber also sucks at playing didn't improve my perception.

I really hope the final product turns out good, but having played the Urban Strife and Project Haven demos, I've been quite spoiled in expectations.

Glory to Ukraine
ES7.jpg

Stamina gets decreased by wearing armor and helmets. I put some points into it for my armored dudes just to be sure, but I didnt notice any effects yet. Perhaps it is going to be relevant for the overworld travel, or maybe it is involved in the calculation of movement range. Who knows?

Resolve is IMO not active yet, I imagine that there will be supression eventually in the game and resolve will be relevant for that, but I dont think it does anything yet.

The other thing that seems to do nothing yet is the money, it appears that there is no shop as of yet.

fork

It was. But the investor decided he wants at least some of his money back, so he forced the EA.

Gumsmith

Educated
Still quite wonky and barebones.
B1A760B7FAA9146D5951EFA2F40DAF249E4DB691
Is there actually anything wrong with this picture? It looks like there's a guy outside the house who can see the enemy and since this is a game where guns can shoot through walls (I assume, not seen much footage) there's no real reason you shouldn't be able to target them, even if actually firing would be a waste of time. You can do the same thing in Silent Storm.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Is there actually anything wrong with this picture? It looks like there's a guy outside the house who can see the enemy and since this is a game where guns can shoot through walls (I assume, not seen much footage) there's no real reason you shouldn't be able to target them, even if actually firing would be a waste of time. You can do the same thing in Silent Storm.
I thought that 1% change to hit was silly.

Gumsmith

Educated
Fair enough, my guess is it’s because of the small gun.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Already reported the game to Finnish authorities under a suspicion of white nationalism, there are no black characters in the game nor developer had made such plans. I think authorities should have a closer look at the company lead dev.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Already reported the game to Finnish authorities under a suspicion of white nationalism, there are no black characters in the game nor developer had made such plans. I think authorities should have a closer look at the company lead dev.
Mitäs he siihen sanoivat?

Acrux

Arcane
Fair enough, my guess is it’s because of the small gun.

That's not a small gun. Cpt. Retardo is attempting to shoot his enemy by pointing the rifle's magazine at him.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

geno

Savant
Mitäs he siihen sanoivat?

Finnish police has no qualms with no blacks in game :(

rsm690n.jpg
Thanks for wasting public resources I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom