Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Enhanced Dynamic Geo-Social Environment (EDGE) - School Shooting Simulator 2018

HEKE

Educated
Enhanced Dynamic Geo-Social Environment, or EDGE for short, is a 40 player online multiplayer game meant for training law enforcement, fire and medical personnel in active shooter situations. The game has been funded by the DHS and developed by Cole Engineering Services, Inc. (CESI), a Florida based company. EDGE 1.2 runs on Unreal Engine 3 while the newer 2.0 version, which releases later this year, will utilise Unreal Engine 4.

The gameplay happens in real time from first- and third-person perspectives. The players are assigned to different classes, each of them having their own objectives, gameplay mechanics and customisable loadouts. For example, Suspects try to go for the high score, Law Enforcement tries to protect the Civilians and stop the Suspects, EMS give medical aid to the wounded and Fire Fighters try to put out any fires caused by the mayhem. The different classes include, but aren't limited to: Civilian, Dispatcher, EMS, Fire Fighter, Law Enforcement, Suspect and Unified Command. There are also NPC's to make the game world more populated. The game features an advanced damage model (damage from inhaling combustion gases, localised damage to head, limbs, torso, etc.), which may either impair, incapacitate or eliminate the player. There are also drivable vehicles ranging from squad cars to fire trucks. EDGE also features limited environmental damage caused by fires and shooting.

The current version of EDGE is 1.2, which features a generic mass shooting incident at a hotel. The future version 2.0 will take place in a school environment, with Teacher and Student as the new classes. EDGE is available free of charge to any law enforcement, fire, medical and related personnel located in the U.S.

Home page:
https://www.cesiedgetraining.com/

Documentation (HTML):
https://frs1.cesiedgetraining.com/a...ntation/EDGE%20User%20Manual%20FRS/index.html

Documentation (PDF):
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/f...ual Training Operational Field Assessment.pdf

Screenshots:
https://www.dhs.gov/science-and-technology/edge-virtual-training-photos

EDGE First Responders Sandbox 1.1 - Shortened Version (Gameplay Video):

EDGE FRS 1.2 - Media Event (Demo) (Gameplay Video):

Virtual Training Revisited (Promo Video):

US Army make school shooting simulator for saving lives (News Video):

So, who's ready for GOTY 2018? Also, try to keep the edge to a minimum despite the theme (and the name) of the game.

Ash

Arcane
Exploitation game. And one looking to not have any merits whatsoever.

An exploitation game is a game that attempts to succeed financially by exploiting current trends, niche genres, or lurid content.

^This sums up a large portion of video games these days in some way, by the way.

Wait, this game apparently ISNT an exploitation game and is a U.S Army Training sim? WTF? I don't know what is worse.

Edit: nah it is getting a public commercial release. Exploitation game it IS after all. ...I don't even know, I'll shut up. But if it is intending to simulate real engagements for serious training purposes it absolutely does not seem to be doing a good job of that in like...any respect. From game mechanics to lighting to AI to everything.

Last edited:

nobre

Cipher
Can one play as the shooter?

Are scores being kept and displayed after a session?

Why don't I read the documentation since it's probably all in there?

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

I too expected a game where you can shoot kids at school. Could expand the idea to gangwars and endboss gym teachers.

HEKE

Educated
can you factor in real-life parameters like morbid obesity? (which most cops are)

I'm not too sure, but probably not. However, since the game seemingly has both local and radio chat functionality, you could play Simon Says with the suspects and civilians as a law enforcement officer. The instructors might not like it, though.

From what I gather, you can play as any of the classes/roles provided. There is a scoreboard of some kind in the game, which keeps track of the accumulating casualties. Also, one of the videos shows, that at the end of every round a news report is generated in-engine depending on how the shooting concluded.

I too expected a game where you can shoot kids at school. Could expand the idea to gangwars and endboss gym teachers.

The current version of EDGE features a generic shooting incident at a hotel, but the future version will take place in an elementary school, as can be seen in the last video.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Probably better than this piece of shit

Da fuq? It's actually pretty good for a quite a few things. In my military training, we used it for drilling how to request artillery strikes and it was p. gud.

It is very shit when you're recce :M

I thought arty target was all radio procedure.

Yeah, it's just radio procedure, but as was evident earlier in the drilling phase, somehow people managed to fuck up their corrections to preliminary strike and ended up calling a strike on themselves.

But actually requesting artillery fire is p. important to recce and moving targets take some practice, especially if you can't afford to measure distance by pointing the laser at the enemy tank.

That's why you never, ever send your own grid when requesting artillery :smug:

I suppose it is nice to have a visual indicator showing how badly you fucked up. For name and shame purposes.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
:nocountryforshitposters:

god damn kids those days.

They have no idea how much fun it is to try to decode some drunken recon jock who is trying to send his morse-fucked message after he has forgot to change the frequencies in the main radio. In the middle of the night. In minus -30 degrees.

But boy how those comfy classroom simulators suck... grrrmbl.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ohhh, to shoot kids again, a pleasure forgotten since Fallout 2 times.

It's in JA2 as well, if you play the Wild-Fire maps at least. Accidentally shot a kid in a fire fight yesterday. The other mercs didn't like that much.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane

It's in JA2 as well, if you play the Wild-Fire maps at least. Accidentally shot a kid in a fire fight yesterday. The other mercs didn't like that much.

Yeah, thats a premium service, if you arent being paid for it dont do it for free. The mercs were right to bitch.

mondblut

Arcane

Yeah, thats a premium service, if you arent being paid for it dont do it for free. The mercs were right to bitch.

Wut? It's like a whore demanding extra payment for having actual orgasm.

Never played Wildfire. Not after 1.13. Played some 1.13 total conversion mod supposedly using Wildfire maps, but don't remember any pests there.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
2mesoe9.jpg

deuxhero

Arcane
Watch the tool show that concealed carry teachers dramatically reduces the casualties, then get buried because it's an inconvenient truth like that EU piracy study.

HEKE

Educated
Watch the tool show that concealed carry teachers dramatically reduces the casualties, then get buried because it's an inconvenient truth like that EU piracy study.

This, pretty much. Also, something just dawned to me. Video games have been shat on for decades by various individuals, media companies and government agencies. One of the most popular accusations is calling games murder simulators. Sure, there are some violent and edgy games out there, but not proper purpose-built training software. In the end, one such game gets made by the U.S government, funded by tax dollars.

But... shootings happen unexpectedly, while you have the benefit of knowing shit is necessarily about to hit the fan in the game. Also, watch people give up on the game because they never get to play the shooters.
The real solution is to reduce the number of mass shootings, therefore reducing the overall casualties, but that takes finesse and I realize that in the mind of many people the ideal solution to violence is more guns.

Last edited:

mbv123

Arbiter
We need a school shooter simulator - choose your level (Columbine, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook), your loadout and difficulty level (what time do the cops respond, if the students try to fight back, etc.), essentially there would be bonus levels where instead of shooting up school, you shoot up a theatre or a summer camp on an island. Do well enough then you get the top secret Supreme Gentleman level where you spray orange juice at Stacy's.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom